TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

@Joyfull61 , So, I get down on the floor pretty much like the man in the video, however I'm taller with long arms & legs, therefore more twisting of my torso. Sometimes when I'm really tired I need to take a knee (shin) before pushing to a stand. When you try this the first time have someone nearby just in case.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still going to have to wait for a standby forklift before I try the floor!

I went back to work at a little more than three months. It has been hard but I recently found out my knee needs to redone. I'm glad that you were able to get an extra month of disability before going back.
 
I'm still going to have to wait for a standby forklift before I try the floor!

I went back to work at a little more than three months. It has been hard but I recently found out my knee needs to redone. I'm glad that you were able to get an extra month of disability before going back.
I was so sorry to hear that your new knee isn't right. I'd probably stay off the floor until everything's better.
 
I can get up off the floor using a similar technique to the man in the video, but I'm much less elegant! I think I must look like an elephant trying to get up. :heehee:
 
I am not healed enough to try the floor with the 2nd knee, but before this surgery I was able to get down and up from the floor. The one knee was done, but the 2nd knee would collapse and wasn't any help pre-surgery. However, I looked ridiculous trying to get up and down from the floor. And it took a lot of upper body strength. I am taller, so I tend to plop the last 6 inches when sitting down on the floor. (I was trying to put together a bookcase for my daughter, and it needed to be done on the floor to keep everything nice and square.) When getting up, I do the flip over thing, but then I have to walk up using my hands, with my butt sticking straight up in the air. So it looks like those old PE exercises they made us do as kids, where you reach down to your toes and walk down to a push-up position and then walk back up. The guy in the video made it look way too easy.
 
I get down on the floor to wrestle and to play with my dogs. I then roll to my side, get up in sort of a "bear-walk" stance and then stand up.

I guess I could get to a kneeling position, but it feels weird and I try to avoid it.
 
I kneel for a short time on my left knee, just before I push up with my arms. That's strange, because my left knee is the newer one, but somehow it feels better than when I kneel on my right knee.
 
I can kneel without pain but I put most of my weight on the non-TKR knee. Getting up takes thought, patience and effort but it is getting easier. I try to get down onto the floor every other day or so just to get more comfortable with it. Glad no one but my husband is here to see it. I have not tried to do it at at the gym yet but it is tempting because there are cushy mats there where I could do my stretches.
 
Hi everyone! I'm 14 weeks post op RTKR. Today marks the first time that I climbed stairs foot over foot without holding the handrail. And they were tall steps, too- not the baby kind! Descending is still a bit dicey, but I'm getting there. I am back at the gym and it's paying off. To anyone reading this who is still in the early days of recovery, I finished PT at 12 weeks post op and started back at the gym a week after that. Any sooner would have been physically too difficult. I also alternate bike riding and longish walks. The other day I combined both: while riding I came upon a hill too steep to climb, so I got off and pushed. Crosstraining, lol!

I am trying to eat super clean, healthy food and have managed to lose 7 pounds in two weeks, yay!

On Fatigue: my knees feel good, but about every other evening I become truly, massively fatigued and chilled and put myself to bed early. Could this be lingering post op energy drain? I plan to ask my endocrinologist about it next month if I don't feel better by then. I had slacked off on my multi-vitamin but now I'm back on, also daily sublingual B12 and iron twice a week.
 
I am just over 20 weeks postop and I also still have so much trouble getting up in the morning. I seem to need a lot more sleep than I used to. Thankfully the waking up in the middle of the night thing seems to be over!


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's a great report! That tiredness just seems to last a long time but it will continue to get better. I think it's probably more related to the fact that you're still healing instead of something to do with anaesthesia.
 
That's a great report! That tiredness just seems to last a long time but it will continue to get better. I think it's probably more related to the fact that you're still healing instead of something to do with anaesthesia.
I think so too, but I am dealing with another health condition and the symptoms can overlap.
 
Diana, congratulations on the great report! You give me hope. How did you decide to stop PT? I also want to congratulate you on the weight loss!! Eating clean is the key to a healthier life I think. If I EVER get my intestines straightened out, I hope to switch my diet also. I bet you feel better too. Stairs?? Fantastic job. Do you think we could get permission slips for naps from the doctor? :heehee:
 
What do you mean by eating clean? No processed foods? No junk food? Organic? Raw? My husband and I are on a big health kick, one of the good things that has come from the TKR. I have tried to eat nutrition-packed foods since my surgery and I have walked and worked out religiously the past six months. There is so much good momentum now that I am going to keep it up to get even healthier.
 
PT? I don't understand the people who keep going! Honestly, I only did PT to appear "cooperative" for my doctor, while counting the minutes until I could quit. I'm sure this makes me sound cantankerous, but I'm actually nice. I'd simply rather do my own thing. On the plus side, PT appointments gave me a reason to get up and out of the house on nice days when I might have otherwise holed up. But I knew I'd quit after 6 weeks, and they did, too... since I did the same thing in 2014!
 
What do you mean by eating clean? No processed foods? No junk food? Organic? Raw? My husband and I are on a big health kick, one of the good things that has come from the TKR. I have tried to eat nutrition-packed foods since my surgery and I have walked and worked out religiously the past six months. There is so much good momentum now that I am going to keep it up to get even healthier.
No junk, no sugar, low saturated fats, low carb, lean protein and more leafy greens. Just before my first TKR I found out that I'm pre-diabetic and my cholesterol was up, too. Type 2 DM runs in the family, but I'm determined to stave off the diagnosis. It is possible to reverse pre-diabetes, and that is my goal. As Hb A1C improves often so does cholesterol. I gave in to my sweet tooth somewhat over the holidays, but I am back on track. I check my blood sugar occasionally to make sure I'm eating properly. Weights and aerobic exercise, now that I can do it, helps a lot. My next labwork is in about 6 weeks, so wish me luck. It sounds like you and your husband are doing great, and I agree that there are innumerable benefits to taking excellent care of our health. TKR's are just a part of that. What an era we live in, yes?
 
It sounds like you are doing all the right things. And it is hard to rehab and eat right and work out and keep up a social life and you get the picture. But I find eating right makes me feel so much better and makes everything else easier. We are headed into 76 hours of below zero temps...that makes everything a challenge.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom