TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

Oh my goodness. That is dramatic but hopefully not traumatic.
I sat on a wheelie buffet that did the same manoeuvre as that at Xmas (week 4), it hurt and scared me but nothing by means of comparison!
I do hope you don't feel any ill effects today?!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was early on the recovery of my January 2015 right knee when I went on a trip to San Francisco with my wife. We found a reasonable hotel downtown, unpacked our bags and began to settle-in. I went to the bathroom and as I gingerly lowered myself onto the seat I suddenly dropped about 20 inches more than I thought: it was an unusually low toilet and much lower than the high rise toilets I installed before surgery. I felt a DEEP stretch in my surgery knee and some discomfort, but that was over-ridden by my inability to stop laughing at the unplanned plunge from standing to the toilet seat!
 
Well, I rode my bike today and it was... really good! I earned a bunch of virtual trophies on the Strava cycling app and climbed 1,444 ft- the most climbing I've tackled since the second surgery. As for yesterday's inadvertent manipulation, it might have helped; I always have some tightness over the top of the pedal stroke for 10-15 revolutions or so until my knee loosens up a bit. This morning I had no tightness at all, and clipping in was easier, too. None of this is proof-positive that the beastly shoulder press machine did me any favors, but at least it did no harm.
 
I'm glad you didn't suffer any long-term harm from you MWA, and maybe even had a little gain. I'd be very wary of that shoulder press machine for a while, though.
 
My PT said that it (inadvertent MUA) will likely happen and it will be a good thing (though you may not think that at the time)!


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had dinner at my mother-in-laws yesterday. Never realized it, but she has one of those very low toilets. I was careful about getting seated but getting back up was a job. Must've been quite a site trying to find something to hold onto while hoisting myself up ! Finally managed to stand up, at least I was able to laugh about it this time. My mother-in-law is 80 years old and I'm amazed that she has no problem with that toilet- lucky lady !!! Glad to hear you didn't hurt yourself and actually have seen an improvement since your bathroom adventure.
 
@Clipless, ouch! But glad you saw a positive come from it! I'm only up to doing 15 minutes on recumbent bike and 60 minutes of silver sneakers. My knees hurt thinking about what you're achieving.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It looks painful! Silver Sneakers is supposed to be for seniors -- low impact workout -- but you can make it as difficult as you want depending upon the weights and the strength of the bands you choose. It has 15 minutes of low impact aerobics followed by working legs, arms and core with bands; then with weights; working core and practicing safe lifting; stretching muscles and joints; and working brain.

I have to watch a few of the exercises like "rocking horse" that kick up my Baker's cyst and make my knees stiff, but I've seen a tremendous difference. My husband and I are ballroom dancers and up until 4 weeks ago, all I could manage was a stiff slow dance. Since Silver Sneakers, I've been able to do most of our dances. Not like I used to but at least we're out on the floor now and back having fun. I have a lot more flexibility and control. Class makes me sore and I always warm up first with 15 minutes on the recumbent bike but it's helping me become stronger and keep those 25 pounds off that I lost.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi you are doing really brilliantly. I couldn't do anything like what your doing after 7 months. I can't believe that I shall ever be as active and pain free as you are. Here's hoping.
 
Hi you are doing really brilliantly. I couldn't do anything like what your doing after 7 months. I can't believe that I shall ever be as active and pain free as you are. Here's hoping.
@Majic , we all heal differently but I am confident you will get there. My first knee took a lot longer, so this recovery has been a pleasant surprise!
 
@Clipless - It's been a while! Just caught up on your thread.. So glad you're doing so well with your second TKR!!!! Enjoyed the pictures of your hiking around! I'm 7+ months out on my first knee (which is doing well). Unfortunately my other knee is keeping me from doing the hiking I used to do.. :sad: It's not bad enough (yet) for a replacement, but I know the day is coming. My sister and a really good friend live in Simi.. it would be funny if you crossed paths with them.. My sister often takes her two beagles (and her husband) out on hiking excursions, carrying a camera.. :yes:
 
@Braunzie , yes I feel great except for still some energy drain. Like, I can't seem to hike AND hit the gym on the same day. Or bike plus gym, bike and hike, etc. Because after one energetic activity I need a long nap. I'm not sure if this is energy drain or old age, lol.

My second knee was predicted to last longer but deteriorated rapidly in the year following my first TKR. I think this happens to a lot of us, for whatever reason.

I will keep an eye out for the beagles and say, "Hi"!
 
Hi, I hope all of my BoneSmart friends are having a good day.

I haven't posted an update in a while, so here goes: I am currently 7 months post RTKR/19 months post LTKR. I am doing fine, energy levels back to normal. My new knee doesn't really bother me much anymore at work, though if I stand too long I feel the need to elevate and bend it. Since I work nights in an ICU, it's okay to stand around with one leg up like Captain Morgan (arrrgh, matey!). Not very professional, perhaps, but no one has complained.

I hike, bike, and go to the gym a couple times a week. I use the gym's very smooth new ellipical machine for >30 minutes at a time, no problem. I can ascend and descend stairs carefully without holding on. I can't run up and down, though- it's like I don't have any more of those fast-twitch muscle fibers needed for rapid movements?? Maybe I can recruit some with special training, maybe it's too soon, or maybe it's too late, I don't know. :sigh: Some days I still get a little "start up stiffness" from the new knee, but that's gradually fading away. Sometimes I wish I had more bend. It would be nice, for example, to crouch all the way down on my haunches or sit on the floor cross-legged, but that's not happening so far. I will keep working on it.

I hope the above doesn't sound like a bunch of gripes, for that is not my intention. Overall I am pain-free, stronger and quite satisfied with my new knees.

Someone recently asked about post-op gait modifications and foot/ankle pain. I was getting pretty severe cramps in my right foot, ankle and shin and even calf during and after hiking. My boots are new-ish, so I replaced the stock insoles with "Sole Ed Viesturs Signature Edition" insoles. These insoles are heat moldable, but they will also conform to your foot over time without cooking them. I chose not to heat mold for fear of accidentally ruining them. WOW, I can now hike for miles over steep and rugged terrain without discomfort. I considered seeing a podiatrist, but I think I'm good now! :hiking:

I will update again at one year, or sooner if anything changes.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom