Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

Happy to hear well things are going for you. I'm hoping to get back to work at my three month mark. I think I'll have to get something to put one leg up onto while I'm drawing up med. that might help me make it through my day a little easier.
 
Great to get the update Clipless! So glad progress is going well. I still developed bend and range of motion well after 1 year; I would love to be able to kneel, and while I can, it is painful. I keep on trying to desensitize the knees, but SO happy with all I CAN do.

Loved your information on the insoles and the difference they made to your hiking ... note to self!
 
Happy to hear well things are going for you. I'm hoping to get back to work at my three month mark. I think I'll have to get something to put one leg up onto while I'm drawing up med. that might help me make it through my day a little easier.

Yes, it will definitely help! Look for a standard chair or one of those sturdy little step stools. It took me more like 18 weeks to get back to work. Those long shifts are killer!
 
Hi Diana, nice to hear from you again. My dates are not too dissimilar to yours. LTKR is18 months old, RTKR just over 9 months. Like you i still can't stand for too long. This is my main problem. My right knee is pretty good, stiff in the morning and sometimes painful if I have turned awkwardly in my sleep. Both go as soon as I get out of bed. The left is stiff in the morning but never painful. As soon as I get up mostly stiffness goes, but some days it can be slightly stiff all day. Today we have had a 5 hour car journey back from a funeral which we had a similar journey to on Sunday, left leg still stiff, other fine. I don't understand why. My right knee feels exactly like my own, while I am slightly conscious of something stiff in my right shin, which is where the pain can be after standing. My knees never hurt.
I am more than 10 years older than you and must try to build up my muscles. I lost so much muscle along with the 21lbs when I had the UTI, that I can't bear the sight of my arms and legs. Now that the weather is improving I must get out my bike and walk further. I would like to join a gym, but can't drive and haven't got one within walking distance or on a bus route.

Like you I wish I had more bend, I am double jointed and could bring my held up to my bottom, but it will come or not, and I have sufficient for everyday needs. I can also manage stairs easily so no complaints there. All in all a good outcome I think, so two more satisfied customers. :yay:
 
Diana, glad to hear that you are able to manage the knee. I just hiked 15 miles yesterday and I am stiff and a little sore. But, I am 72 years old. When I complained to my friend that I was stiff after the hike, she looked at me with amazement---OF COURSE you are stiff, she said!!!
 
Ah Kelly, you are an inspiration to us all! I think my longest 1-day hike was on the Camino de Compostela last fall at 12.5 miles. I usually take a couple of Aleve before my hikes ... helps substantially to prevent stiffness later.
 
Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful and supportive comments. I can bike 30 miles no problem, but haven't attempted any long hikes yet. I am doing a 5 miler this weekend, will see how the knees hold up. It seems to help to occasionally take a sit break on a boulder. I'm sure some of my startup stiffness, especially from my back, is simply due to aging. :old:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom