TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

Holy smokes, that's a wild contraption. Think I saw something like that in one of those sketchy shops in New Orleans. So happy it worked for you and you got a glimpse of the future!
 
I've never seen anything like that Red Cord contraption, or even heard of it. However, if it works for you I can't knock it!
 
Thank you so much for sharing all this Clipless! Here I am day 5 post op BTKR worrying about stiffness. LOL Its just nice to read about others having the same or similar symptoms. I just need to keep reading and go slowly. If it weren't for the fine folks here I'd be freaking out every day... Especially when the nurse, home nurses and PTs are all telling me... I've one seen like one, two or three ever try this. Lol :)
 
Aww, thanks @MartialKnees , it is a dubious honor that I'm able to help by sharing my problems. All sorts of concerns will crop up as you recover, and BoneSmart is the best place I have found for answers and moral support; lately I need lots of the latter. :good-bad: Did you end up going to a rehab facility, or straight home?
 
I'm on the exact same teeter toter! Lol I think everyone has been surprised. After 3 days in the hospital I came straight home. I just felt I could control more here. Cleanliness, Rate of rehab etc and both my girl and her daughter are an amazing support mechanism. She refuses to sleep in the bed. She sleeps on the sofa right by me. I stir.... She is awake helping. With everything! The running of day to day activities... Helping me up and down EVERY TIME....Im hungry she cooks. I restless she gets me comfortable. Carefully sponge bathes me when needed. I take the last sip of water... New bottle is on the table. She has no idea what this means to me she just says "Papi! You need it I do it! I am Puerto Rican you know!!!" Her daughter jumps right in too. No way I get this outside my home!!! Everything is on a timer. She also captures everything on a white board.

And she still humors me by saying the home nurses are my "backup" We laugh all day long. She's amazing and icing my knees as I'm typing!!!!
 
Looks like me and @ironclm are both back on bikes today! 10.5 weeks post op, felt good but I kept it brief. The hardest part was swinging my leg -either leg- up and over the bike!
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery the Clipless Way
 
I know it's not.... But why at day 6 does that seem light years away in progress??? Lol Good for you guys!
 
Yea!! Nice bike!

Issues going up the stairs ---> most likely weak glutes. Clamshells, side steps w/a band, monster walks, laying abduction w/leg just behind your body midline, standing kickbacks (straight leg), single leg balance on a spongy pad. All have helped me.



TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you! I hope all my Bonesmart friends had an enjoyable day however you celebrate. I had the pleasure of picking up my older boy from LAX late Christmas Eve. Freeway traffic was lighter than usual, and I froggered the busy airport crossings without getting squashed (an actual concern of mine). It was wonderful to see and hug my son!

Today I hung out with family, exercised a little, and got in a 10 mile bike ride. Brrr, chilly! Getting on and off the bike was crazy awkward, but once I got going felt great- no pinching. We'll see what my knee says about it later! Tomorrow my daughter flies in, then we'll all go see the new Star Wars.
 
I'm happy you were able to get back on your bike without any pain. It's wonderful that your children were able to come to visit. I hope you had a great day.
 
Oh, but my knee was sore today! I think it was less the pedaling and more how I always put my right foot down when I stop, and sometimes abruptly. I am a dedicated rightie, cannot change.

We all went to see Star Wars, second viewing for me. New knee was entirely comfortable throughout, but the same old start-up pain and stiffness upon standing. I always wait until almost everyone else has left the auditorium before I attempt to stand, but this evening there were a couple stragglers who sat and stared as I gathered my courage for that first step. Does anyone else get these strange looks, and if so how do you handle it? By way of explanation sometimes I say, "Knee surgery", but I shouldn't have to.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a concert in November and I waited until almost everyone around me was already gone. I also need some warm up steps before I get going. I also needed to climb some steps which also cause me problems. I assumed that everyone who was left probably had some problems of their own.
 
I've traveled each of the past 6 weeks and I'm still asking for a pre-board card to hopefully get a bulkhead seat since there is more leg room and I can bend and straighten my knee. Even then, I'm very stiff at the end of even an hour flight.




TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to see that you are back on the bike. I am sure your experience with your first knee will make a difference in recovery for the second. I had planned to wait for my second until January, but my left knee was painful enough I had surgery in August (my right knee was done in January 2015). Before my August knee, I cycled regularly and did gym work and I think it helped with recovery. I have been back on the bike awhile, although right now I am doing more trainer work than on the road riding. My January knee has some stiffness and the clunking that went away sporadically returns. I attribute that to my January knee taking some of the load from my August knee. In the months before surgery my January knee had no signs of stiffness or clunking, but the extra load must be taxing it some. I have stepped up my gym routine and I am working hard on my quads, glutes, hamstrings, adductors, and abductors. For my recovery, the balance of all those muscle groups has been important in doing the activities that are important. But, the return of stiffness to my January knee has been a surprise, but then my August knee is also pretty stiff at times. I do think the colder weather has something to do with that. I'm sure you will do very well with your recovery and continue to offer insightful and helpful comments about recovery for the rest of us.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
At 7+ months no problem crossing ankles or knees; however, I do have a weird thing when in bed. I will be sleeping with the new knee leg on the bottom and the leg extended, and sometimes when I go to bend the knee it feels like the joint kind of rotates (weight of covers keeps it from bending perfectly straight???) and then it "bites" me at the back of the knee, like tissue has gotten caught in the joint. If severe enough, I will be definitely sore the next day. Hard to prevent this as I am asleep until it happens. Also sometimes my hubby will rub the leg for me and it feels like the knee sort of "pulls apart." Anyone else ever experience any thing like this?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom