Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

I don't think you've done your leg any harm, but if sleeping like that hurts you, have you tried sleeping a different way?
 
It is not the position while sleeping that is the problem; it is the trying to change that position that creates the trauma. It happens when I bend the leg--this used to happen occasionally when I was walking, but that seems to have stopped. I have to admit that this is my "go to" position for sleep--every since my in utero son wouldn't let my sleep on the other (his!!) side--46 yrs. ago. :rotfl:
 
Jury Duty, already empaneled and excused from a two week criminal trial. I told the judge that I'd miss ordered therapy sessions, and am unable to ice and elevate in a courtroom environment. It was an acceptable excuse, but I'll have to stick around all day. I've claimed a loveseat/coffee table in the lounge.
 
Yes, and nap! But if chosen to serve on a trial I'll be sitting long hours in a jury box with feet down unless they decide to accomodate me somehow. Fingers x'd, I rather go home!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear! I also got a jury summons. I had my doctor write me an excuse and got excused. I hope you are not chosen.
 
3 MONTH UPDATE: Happy New Year, everyone! My RTKR is progressing, though not as smoothly as I'd hoped. I'm back on the bike(s) doing 10-15 mile rides on flat, paved surfaces for now. Cycling feels wonderful, except it's still difficult to balance and lift either leg up up and over the bike. No pain, though. Hiking is much more of a challenge due to muscle weakness. Sometimes while walking I get a sharp "pinch" in back that stops me in my tracks and makes me gasp (or swear!). I still limp and have trouble with steps/stairs/inclines and rising from a seated position. Unfortunately my muscles (quads, hams, glutes) often refuse to engage. So I am doing more strengthening exercises, some of which involve laying on the floor. Getting up again is a bit of an ordeal, but each time it gets a little easier. I am also back at the gym to focus on quads, hams, and glutes. Then I throw in some arms, back, and core.

I am absolutely not ready to return to work next week, and my PT agrees. In fact she wrote an assessment for my OS detailing the problems. I see him on Friday- hopefully he'll give me one more month off. If I had a desk job I'd be okay, but my work requires the ability to jump up and hit the ground running. Also brisk walking, pushing, pulling, bending, lifting, stairs, performing CPR, and on my feet for hours at a time. No can do- not yet. My OS was very nice about giving me an extra month after my first TKR, yet I worry (again!) that he'll think I'm a slacker. Also, my sdi payments have dried up due to red tape or something, and that really hurts. No more PT, can't afford it, I am on my own now. Wish me luck!
 
Diana, I really like to read these updates. I am sorry you are not where you want to be, although I think you are being very proactive in your recovery and that is to be commended. Do you think going to formal PT would do anything differently for you? I do hope you can wade through the red tape and get your SDI payments reinstated and you can recover what has been lost.
 
@Clipless

Biking and hiking at only 3 months out - that's pretty good. It also puts quite a bit of stress on that new knee.
Remember that you're only a quarter of the way through this year-long recovery, so I think that it's expected to feel the aches that you do. Your knee is still a whiny toddler, so it will let you know when it needs a break.

At 3 months, it's OK to be doing the strengthening exercises, but don't go too hard at them, will you?
 
Thank you for your support, Celle and Janis. I have been doing outpatient PT 2x/week faithfully since November. My therapist has been super nice, however I believe I am ready to fly solo. I can effectively do more on my own without interrupting my day for an appointment. Celle, I promise I will be very careful. It's high noon and I am off to ride while the sun is shining!
 
Three month check-up: I deliberately parked several blocks from the doctor's office so I could get in a good walk. Xrays, etc. fine. Both knees a little sore because yesterday I had to dig in my yard to channel rainwater away from the house- no choice, it was just me! OS agreed to continue my temporary disability for one more month. What a relief! I am getting around better, but NOT ready to work on Monday. I can *almost* walk without limping, but I have exactly one speed- there is no "brisk" yet, nor hustle nor trot. My quad fires, but still demands my full concentration. At least this OS visit I made it all the way across the big intersection before the light turned red. Progress!

I am glad that I can now relax and focus on strength training, hiking, biking, and good 'ol healing, though I know the month will fly by quickly. I recently started back to the gym with ultra light weights. I practice a lot (alotalot) at home on my aerobic step, which is now the height of a typical stairstep/curb, plus the walker arms for support. I do a variety of half-squats and leg-lift floor exercises, and have worked in ab crunches. I believe my poor, aching back after the first knee was largely due to de-conditioning- I was very weak, and everything at work is sooo heavy.:boohoo:This time I plan to return with a nice, strong core!

Getting down and up from the floor is still ungainly. I have long legs, and my arms and elbows stick out everywhere. As I push myself up I probably look like a big, weird spider.
 
Congratulations on the disability! That takes a lot of worry and stress off of you so you can concentrate on fully healing. I am not ready to think about getting on the floor yet!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@MartialKnees, that is a nice post! I am thrilled you have such an amazing caregiver in your daughter! That will make a huge difference in your recovery!!!


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
@Clipless it's so good to hear of your progress ! My speed is slow also. Not sure about returning to my restaurant full time as planned in 3 weeks , that might have to be adjusted. I am happy to hear you have a bit more time. I started pool therapy with a tread mill in the water, I love it! Strength training starts on Monday!


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
@Clipless it's so good to hear of your progress ! My speed is slow also. Not sure about returning to my restaurant full time as planned in 3 weeks , that might have to be adjusted. I am happy to hear you have a bit more time. I started pool therapy with a tread mill in the water, I love it! Strength training starts on Monday.

I was going to do aquatic therapy, had the order and everything, but the special PT pool was under repair the entire six weeks I was there. Oh well, when I get my courage up I will try the gym's outdoor pool. Right now it's a little too cold for me.

Restaurant work is physical. Take your time going back if possible!
 
Great report!


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Clipless, can you describe how you get down on the floor and back up? I'm obsessed with being able to do this.
 
Interesting. He was just showing off when he did the stairs! Hahaha! I would love to see an overweight tall person do it too. Don't you just love YouTube?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom