Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery going TOO well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cnydutch....I used to skate all the time, but haven't in years because it made me hurt too much. It may be something to try when I have a chance, just to see how it works now! LOL No worries about me trying it soon though, I'll wait til I can do it with the grandkids! :)

I did end up decorating the tree last night, but it was after resting quite a bit. So far I've stuck with my "slacker" schedule for today.....just the short shift at the thrift shop, and now being lazy again. This evening I'll wrap a few gifts, but that will be it. I've made an "executive decision" and am ordering pizza for dinner, so no cooking for me tonight!

Even with taking it easy, I'm still having quite a bit of pain in the opposite hip/leg. It's beginning to worry me, but I keep trying to tell myself I just haven't been back to walking "normal" long enough for it to recover from 6 weeks of extra strain. I'm also having short periods of pain (maybe 10-45 minutes) in my operated hip area, so not sure what's going on there. I'm hoping that it's just part of the healing process!
 
Suz,

Take those pain meds and get ahead if it before it tries to tackle you...

Great idea for dinner. We're going to roast a chicken tonight. Love to do it with the v-rack but since hubby is cooking we'll use the oven bags instead - less clean-up...
:thumb:
 
oldyellr
Mine was uncemented, and as soon as I got home my PT had me balancing on my operative leg for 20 seconds. That was easy, so we tried 30 seconds. Still easy, so the next visit she brought a foam pad for me to balance on which made it harder, and I thought that was a bit much, to tell the truth.

I really liked going up and down the stairs sideways, though, and I still enjoy doing that from time to time:egypdance:

So you are the Karate Kid, with the 1 leg up, we all knew you were a warrior

YoungGma, Take it slow and steady, you only have 1 time to heal
 
Six weeks out and SKATING already??? OMG! I think I had a heart palpitation just reading about it. Please be careful. We don't want to see you back on the pre-op side waiting on revision surgery. My doctor has told me no high impact activities for 1 year. I think he would stroke out if I went in to my next appointment telling him I was skating. Oh my! OTOH, I'm so proud of the progress you are making.
 
Damn! What sort of high impact activities did your doctor mean?
 
I am (or was) an avid CrossFitter before surgery. Lots of box jumps and power lifting. He has told me to sit out of that type of activity for 1 year. Not sure how he feels about softball, as I played softball at least 2-3 times a week. I played in a league once a week and would also play pick up once or twice. If I couldn't get in as a pick-up, I would work out with the varsity girls softball team at the high school where I work. I bat right-handed, and had my right hip done, so I am not sure what the batting swing would do to the hip on pivoting.
 
I'm in the UK and I wasn't allowed to weight bear until my 6 week check. Total nightmare. My friend, who had her surgery in the same hospital, 3 days before me, was told to almost immediately. Go figure that out.
There's no great mystery - it's all down to surgeon's choice.

I have two sisters in different cities: sister #1 had an uncemented ceramic on ceramic and was told full weight bearing and no restrictions from day one, sister #2 had cemented metal on plastic, no restrictions. I know in both hospitals there are other surgeons who impose a variety of 90 degree rule and/or non-weight bearing restrictions for no other reason than that this what they prefer and believe to be best. Overall has little or nothing to do with approach/implants/cement/cementless or anything else.
 
:hairpulling: WHY does stuff always happen on the weekend???? I was up in the middle of the night last night, sitting in the same chair where I've spent 90% of my recovery, and when I got up, suddenly I was walking with a pronounced limp! No pain, just hobbling. I figured I was just tired (FINALLY), so went to bed. This morning, I'm still limping! It's as if my leg lost length just while sitting in the chair! As I had mentioned waaaay back, I have a pelvic tilt due to scoliosis, and it made my legs appear as if they were about 3/4" different in length. The surgeon had managed to lengthen the leg until there was only about 1/16" difference....I was finally walking "normal" without using a heel lift. Now it feels like I'm back where I was before surgery!! :cry: And of course, it's the weekend, so I can't call the dr's office!

Josephine ?? Anyone??? Physically I don't feel bad. I noticed last night there was a little swelling, and there still is today, so I'm staying "parked" with my leg elevated. Emotionally, I'm about to lose it. After being made fun of for nearly 50 years, I was FINALLY walking close to "normal", and now this!!
 
Oh Suz, don't panic. It's likely a temporary blip and will settle in a few days. I can't explain why it happened, only assure you that these things do happen in the early days. You are right to rest it and see how it goes.

Another tip is that when you are walking, focus on the "heel, toe, heel, toe" kind of walking to correct it.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery going TOO well?
 
Thank you, Josephine! I pray you are right!! I've just been in tears ever since I got up and was still limping! It doesn't help that I've told EVERYONE how happy I am that I "don't have that horrible limp anymore", and now it's BACK!!

I guess this is why I feel so angry when I see kids being teased and bullied for being "different". I dealt with it for years, and even at my age I feel the lasting effects. This setback just brings it all back to me, like a kick in the teeth.
 
Ok Suz, deep breathe, in.....out......in......out. Just because you are hearing hoofbeats, doesn't mean it is a zebra. It is just a horse. Listen to Josephine. With all the years of experience she has had, she has seen it all. She has told you that this is just a temporary blip. Believe Suz!!!! Let's look at this another way...you say that you limped for the majority of your life. Your body is USED to limping. You can not expect your muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. to just give up the position they have been in for the last 48 years and go with the flow of your new hip! They are just rebeling a little bit. Sitting in your recliner can not shorten your leg. It is most likely the muscles in a spasm due to all the new stretching they are having to do. So, take advantage of this enforced rest period. Ice, elevate and medicate....I bet my powerball winnings (all $36) that you will be BETTER by Monday morning. Wait and see!

That is all! As the Grand-HooHa of the International Order of BoneSmart Warriors, I COMMAND YOU NOT TO WORRY!!!!!

Tammy
 
Warrior down! Warrior down!

Raly the troops, sissy46, bellaroma, dede62, nerdgrrl, bunnymama, we have a Warrior feeling a bit down. Time of some propping up. So girls, show YoungGma some love. Arm yourselves with sharpened crutches, reinforced walkers, pointy canes and whack that worry right out of her head!
 
Hi all! I just joined today. My name is Suz, had a total hip replacement (UNcemented) on 10-15-12. Things are going great, I feel wonderful.....and THAT is what creates the problem. I'm using a walker (never used crutches before and am not the most coordinated, so figured it was safer!) and am having a very difficult time remembering not to put weight on the operative foot. When I put weight on it, there's no pain to remind me, so I find myself doing it many, many times a day. Plus, from as surprised as everyone (even those friends in the medical field) seems to be, I'm apparently much more active than is normal for just barely 2 weeks post-op. When I saw the PA a couple days ago, he was glad I feel so good, but reminded me of the hip restrictions and "toe touch weight bearing" for another 4 weeks yet. Any suggestions to help me remember to be more careful and "slow down" a bit?? Thanks for any input!!
 
Suz, things will be OK. You really have been doing a lot lately and it could be that your hip is saying - I'm still healing and I need a rest. You're at what, 6 weeks? Still a bit of time ahead of you, I'm afraid. Don't worry, it will work itself out. And I agree with Damn! that you couldn't have lost any length by sitting in your recliner. Don't think it works that way...

:console2:
 
I don't think it works that way either, but just don't understand the sudden limping. It's scary as hell. Thanks for the reassurance!
 
I find that my gait and ability to walk unaided varies from day to day and even from hour to hour. I also find I walk better in unfamiliar surroundings. At home I seem to always grab the cane or hang on to furniture because that's what I became used to even before the operation. I was outside today working on the car without the cane no problem, but have trouble making it from the sink to the fridge in the kitchen. I think it's all in the head sometimes.
 
Ah, Suz, I interrupted my search for leftover Percocet to commiserate with you. Honey, recovery is not a straight line! Yesterday I was forgetting my hip, and today I'm ready to call for a replacement. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but I'm willing to bet your tomorrow will be better than today.
Our ups and downs are inexplicable sometimes. Take a deep breath, and say:gaah:
 
Suz, like Tammy and Josephine were saying breathe and the blip will pass When life has pushed you around and bruised you the scars run deep, and when you finally see the cause of those scars go away you are happy, but fear that old pain will come back. So at the first problem you think the worse, this isn't the old coming back, but the recovery and with patience you will be doing and being who you want, and if anyone says differently, I will crutch whack them on the side of their head and leave scooter tracks on their behind
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom