THR Recovery going TOO well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now listen here Madam President,

When you go to the Thrift shop and you see stuff that needs doing, then boss somebody about. But don't do it yourself. Stay involved but be kind to your body and it will recover well for you.

Your humble servant

Mike
 
You are going to have to learn to delegate or stay away. It's hard when you begin to feel well and you want to be useful. But there must be very few things you can accomplish directly and obeying your toe touch only restriction.
 
LOL Mike!

I am trying to do more delegating, but I'm just not a "bossy" person by nature, so it's very difficult. I don't want to stay away, so I'm just going to have to get better at it. Yesterday I went up there and was on my crutches....that made it easier to obey my restrictions, because if I didn't, I was going to fall on my behind!

Suz

RTHR
15 Oct. 2012
 
I'm just over 3 weeks into recovery now....physically I'm doing great, but dang, emotionally I'm the pits. I feel like I've been exiled and forgotten. The first few days home there were cards, phone calls, and visitors bringing food.....almost TOO much action, because it was hard to rest. Now, it seems like everyone except my husband has forgotten I'm alive. I'm trying to follow my restrictions better, but in doing so, it seems I'm making myself more isolated. I'm using the crutches more, that way I won't put weight on the operative side like I have a tendency to do when I use the walker.....but with crutches I can't even carry anything. Tomorrow "my" thrift shop is short of help, so I need to work all morning by myself. I posted on Facebook asking if any of my local friends would be willing to just come hang out with me there for even an hour or two, but did not get even ONE reply.....not even a "I'd love to help but I'm busy".

I'm tired of being "needy", always calling people when I need help. Where are the people who were at my door every hour the first couple days, now that I'm home alone and could use a little help, but more importantly, a little company? My poor husband works multiple jobs and has been run ragged, making me feel even more guilty. Plus, not sure if it's my mood making me notice it, or what, but I seem to be having more pain in the area of the surgery.....nothing I can't handle, but still, I thought it was supposed to get BETTER, not worse!

Sorry for being such a whiner. I'm just having a really bad couple days.

Suz

RTHR
15 Oct. 2012
 
It's the post op blues, yes it's the pits it comes and goes.This can feel like a very isolating time too much attention then none, and it's a long recovery where we need help for a while although we don't look ill. I can't really help much with the blues apart from it happens your not the only one, I burst into tears for no reason, I go out for walks which help.

I know two crutches are hard Ive been using them for almost 5 weeks moving to two sticks now. I use a ruck sack to carry things but drinks are hard unless I slide them along the kitchen top. As for the shop just grit your teeth and not do too much I'm sure the customers won't mind and whoever has a shift after you will understand so it's a comfy chair by the till and a big smile. I something is bugging you make to do lists for other people you just have to accept you can't do it for the time being.
Vent away if it makes you feel better as we understand. X
 
But that's what BoneSmart is for! we never get tired of people being whiny because we understand what it's like. And I see that you've not been give the recovery articles to read, so I will rectify that now. Also one on post-op blues. Do read them carefully, within lies salvation!
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
Hey Suz,

I hope you're having a better day today. These surgeries, though needed and a godsend for our lives, are still a major insult to our bodies, and recovery isn't a straight line. And you are so right, your mood can make you notice pain more, and so can not taking enough pain meds when you need it. You're not even 4 weeks post-op, you have restrictions that make everything a little harder, and responsibilities you can't neglect. You're going to have the blues now and then---be good to yourself. Lying on the sofa with a book and a kitty and eating ice cream has helped me a lot :kittykiss:

I believe the day you posted on Facebook to your friends was also election day, so they may have been standing in line.

I've had a much easier time than most, and I'm ashamed to say I've had a few self-pitying days when I felt like it wasn't going to get any better---usually the next day, things were a lot better.

Take care, and let us know how you're doing :)
 
This is major major stuff we're going through--both physically and emotionally. The post-op blues are real and very normal. I hope you're doing a bit better today, but chances are you'll still have some ups and some downs in the days and weeks to come. Your friend's haven't forgotten about you, but they may be unaware that even though you're doing fine physically, you still need their company and phone calls. Is there some way you can let them know that? Can you call someone just to chat even though you don't need them to come over and help with anything?

This is a rough process all around....our bodies have betrayed us so that we needed to have major parts cut out and replaced. That's a tough idea to swallow. On top of that, the surgery itself causes pain and problems and we have to endure a long recovery period. So be kind to yourself; take it as easy as you possibly can. Treat yourself in whatever ways help you...and reach out to those that you feel most comfortable with.

Above all--whine away here! This is the one place where EVERYONE understands what you're going through, and thank heavens for that.
 
I agree with everything above. I dont think we are kind enough to ourselves. We think (or at least i do) that we can go and have surgery the get out of bed and carry on as if nothing has happened. I am 8 weeks post op and have been walking 2 weeks. I have worked 2 days this week and am shattered.
look after yourself :kittykiss:
 
Thank you all for your kindness! It is so nice to have people who understand how I am feeling and what I'm going through! Today is a bit better emotionally, but rougher physically. For the last several days I've had pain in my left (non-operated) hip, and today it's much worse. I'm assuming it's just because that side has to bear much more weight, so it's being stressed?? It just seems really odd to me that the operated hip doesn't hurt a whole lot, but the non-operative hip and my shoulder are both extremely painful!
 
Hi Suz

Pleased that the post op blues are a little better.. they come, they go... just ride the waves honey :)

Regarding the non operated hip and shoulder pain.. there is a lot of readjustment to happen with your body.. all connected and now you are walking differently..

Hang in there, patience is the key, still very early days for you Suz :)

Sorry you have to work.. do take care of yourself and come here often.. we love being here for each other, that is the mission of the forum :)
 
Hang in there, patience is the key, still very early days for you Suz :)


Friday I talked to doc about hip pain, and was told to take it easy and stay off my feet as much as possible for a few more days. Yea, like THAT is gonna be easy!

Today has been hell. I woke up with my shoulder hurting, and have not left the house AT ALL. I did not cook, did not do dishes, did not do ANYTHING, aside from making the bed. And of course, I'm about to go stark raving nuts! It's opening day of pheasant season here, AND hubby's weekend to work, so needless to say, he's been otherwise occupied. When he went to the basement for hunting gear, I asked if he was putting in a load of towels...."Why, are we out?" YES, I wouldn't have been asking otherwise!

Then comes afternoon, when I'm really on my own (he works 2:30 - midnight or 1am). The day is dragging, I see so much stuff that needs done, and I can't do a flipping thing about it. First I bury myself in a book, which I finish around 6pm, and then I uncork a bottle of wine (which I know is not advisable with meds, but at this point I do not really care). It's now 11pm, wine bottle is empty and I'm still as frustrated as I was before. I know I cannot go on this way. How the *&%! am I going to make it an additional 2 weeks??
 
Suz, did you get some sleep after the bottle of wine? Feel okay this morning?
You're an extremely active, independent person, and this confinement is awful for you. I have no advice, but I think I understand....:console2:
 
Boy oh boy, I can identify! That's when I went nuts trying to find a needlework project -- something -- anything -- but TV and books and just staring out the window. Do you like movies -- especially laugh out loud movies? Netflix is a good thing. How about sorting pictures of those really cute grands? Skype? I was obsessed with the election, so reading about that on the computer helped. Any obsessions you can follow on the computer? Planning a flower bed for next spring? (whoops, I see you're in Florida, so planning for when you feel better?) Computer Christmas shopping?

It will get better, I promise. Really it will.
 
No sleep last night, but did have a brain storm of an idea for the Chamber of Commerce, so sent out an email to the other officers at 4am! LOL Finally got to sleep around 6, but up at 9 for Mass. I'd love to nap now, but am afraid it would just continue the cycle of sleepless nights!

Thanks for the ideas. I may have to start watching a few movies....I don't normally watch tv or movies unless my hubby is home, since I have a difficult time sitting still doing "nothing" (can you tell? LOL). I'd love to be able to do needle work, but my vision is so bad I can't do it anymore. Everyone is too busy for skype....I've been trying to set up a time to skype with the youngest grandson for over a month now, so HOPEFULLY will be able to do that soon! I have taken to doing some Christmas shopping online, and am trying to get back into my eBay selling; I just need to get someone to take pics for me since my hands shake so bad (they always have, Drs have no clue why).

Had to laugh at the Florida comment....not sure where it says that, unless I filled something out wrong. I LOVE Florida, but am actually in Kansas. :)

Tonight and tomorrow night are hubby's evenings to work at his 2nd job, and when he's at work in the evenings is when the restrictions get to me the most. At least I got some info from one of my fellow Chamber officers, so I can spend part of the evening tonight updating the Chamber's Facebook page. :)

Physically, the hip pain is better today, but the darned shoulder pain just does not want to go away, even though I've been making it a point to get up as few times as possible. At least when I'm released, I'm familiar with some PT exercises that should help; it just is a lot easier to do them when standing on both feet!

Thanks for being here, and for understanding! I really AM trying to stay positive, even though it may not seem like it at times!
 
I was looking at the post right ahead of mine -- it's Sissy in Florida! I'm thinking by this time tomorrow we'll both be wishing we were there -- supposed to be in the 20's here.
 
Definitely wishing I was in Florida now....the high all week is supposed to be 57, but it's supposed to be cold at night!

Today we had a "work day" at the thrift shop....four of my fellow board members met me there and we all worked on trying to get things under control. I was good and just sat on a chair sorting if things were good enough to put out, or if they needed "sent on" (we have somewhere to send our excess and items that are not quite to our standards but still usable). We got a lot accomplished, but not what we'd intended; when we arrived we found that someone had left us an anonymous donation outside the back door.....20 boxes and several large bags of stuff! So, in truth, it doesn't LOOK like we got anything done at all, but at least we know better!

Of course, even though I was "good" and obeyed my restrictions, the repetitive movement got my shoulder flared up again, and pain pills plus heat or ice is still not helping. I hadn't intended to take the bus to town tomorrow, but am wondering if I should, because a chiropractic treatment might be in order. It's VERY frustrating to be in this much pain from something NOT related to the surgery, especially when I'm doing as I'm supposed to!!
 
Suz, about a month after my first THR, I started having tremendous pain in my right shoulder. I had never had shoulder pain before, and this just kept getting worse and worse. It did occur to me that I was using my netbook continuously throughout the day and evening, while lounging on the couch. Perhaps the position and repetitive use of the trackpad were the culprits. After several weeks, I painfully accepted the idea that I would have to change some habits. I consciously cut back, plus I made a point of using different chairs more frequently instead of the couch. I had some immediate relief, but in truth, it was many months before the shoulder pain left entirely. I did stumble upon a website with some exercises, and these finally relieved the pain entirely. Let me know if you want me to dig up the website....I think I have it bookmarked on a different computer.

Interestingly, I did not have any problems after the second THR....and I'm sure I'm using my netbook just as much! Go figure.

Sharon
 
I'm sure using the computer is part of it, since I'm using the laptop almost exclusively now, rather than the desktop. I have cut back on my online time, but it hasn't helped yet.

Any suggestions for muscle cramps in the leg? I usually walk them out, but that's kind of difficult to do when I can't put weight on the leg!!
 
Magnesium is excellent for muscle cramps..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom