Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery going TOO well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:goodpost: Yay for Suz!! That's just great news!

I think you'll find using the cane comes pretty naturally---it will be in the opposite hand, the one that naturally swings forward with the opposite foot when you're walking. I bet you won't be using it long, either.

He said you could do whatever you feel up to doing, so it sounds like you've already got the go-ahead to celebrate your birthdays.
Bright days ahead, Suz:SUNsmile: I'm so happy for you!
 
Congratulations on the next "step"!
now watch how quickly you progress, you are going to be amazed at how good you feel
once you get your balance back and start walking, walking, walking!
:dancy:
 
Yes, you use the cane on the opposite side to the operated leg. It seems kind of counter intuitive, but I googled it before I tried it. Since my operated side is the left and I'm right handed, I wasn't looking forward to using the cane with my left hand.
 
Suz, just dropping by to see how you are doing. How is the cane working out for you? I envy you in that your grandchildren are relatively close to you. We have 5 g-babies (so far) and only 1 of them is local to us. 3 of them are near San Franciso, CA and 1 is in the Los Angeles, CA area....a bit far from Florida. Thank God for Skype and FaceTime.

Tammy
 
Nice to see you're going along so well.

Reading your thread and Tammy's how come in the US surgeons often don't allow weight bearing? Don't think I've seen it in UK users threads.
 
Spid, we often comment on the differences between not only protocols between the US and the UK, but from doctor to doctor. Who knows! Guess that's why they get paid the big bucks :)
 
Spid Who knows? Mine was anterior approach, not cemented, and my OS said I could be total weight bearing, no restrictions from the day of surgery. He said weight bearing stimulates bone growth, but others seem to say they don't want weight bearing until bone growth occurs. Then in some cases, if there is a fracture, that calls for no weight bearing at first. Or if a person has to have bone grafts, too.

I hope each surgeon looks at each of his or her patients and makes that decision based on the whole picture, because I'm awfully glad I had no restrictions and wouldn't have wanted any unless there was a good reason.

The great thing is, most everyone ends up doing very well in the end, regardless of approach or restrictions or lack thereof---because we are BoneSmart (international) Warriors:snork:
 
I am happy the you were allowed to go with the flow, Suz, but please be careful, as aggravating as recovery can be, you only have 1 chance to do it right, and if you go to fast to quick, you could end up much further behind.
 
Ok, I'll admit it here, but nowhere else......I over-did yesterday. In my mind it was an easy day......slept late, went to my friend's office and wrapped small packages for 4 hours. While there I took a couple breaks to do errands....walked 1 1/2 block for one errand (one way) and then later did another 1 block errand, so total walking 5 blocks, but had about 2 hours in between. Relaxed at the bar for 45 minutes, then came home and straightened the living room and put in a load of laundry (had to go to the basement for that). Also made a couple more trips to the basement looking for things I couldn't find. That's about it, the rest of the time I just sat and read. To ME, that's a pretty easy day......not anchored down like I had been, but still taking it pretty easy.......but today I feel like someone beat me with a baseball bat, right across the lower back and on my "old" hip! It's worse than I've felt my whole recovery since getting out of the hospital! I find it very frustrating. I thought I was taking it easy yesterday.

Went for my "gait training" with PT this morning early (8am) when I was still feeling good (the impact from yesterday didn't hit me til mid morning). She showed me the proper way to use the cane, and then watched me walk without it. She said that as long as I'm not having pain, if I feel comfortable without the cane it should be ok. She suggested using it if I walk more than a block, if I'm tired, and of course, if I'm in pain.

Damn! (Tammy), I don't know what I'd do if my grands were so far away!! Of course, I may have to find out one day....the youngest grandson's parents are looking into jobs that would take them to either Japan or Sweden for at least 3 years at a time. They want to travel, so it would be a great opportunity for them, but I may loose my mind!
 
Well, I did a whole lot Sunday and Monday, and not nearly as much Tuesday and Wednesday, and I was hurting this morning, so go figure. It is a mystery:scratch: Your activity might not have had anything to do with it---are you sure no one took a bat to you?:what:

I took ibuprofen this morning for the first time since Sunday, and was a couch potato reading for a while, but then I went to the Y and enjoyed a light workout and 20 minutes on the stationary bike. Feeling fine now and going out for dinner.

Tomorrow, going for a real bike ride with a friend---8 miles to Panera's for lunch, then 8 miles back.

I bet you'll be great tomorrow:thumb:
 
8 miles one way?? YIKES!

Tomorrow I'm supposed to work my regular shift at the thrift shop. Since I know I over-do there every time, I made arrangements to only work 1/2 shift, going in 2 hours later than usual. I learned my lesson about that place......planning to "leave early" to keep for doing too much never works; besides, this way I can sleep in!

Hubby is deer hunting this afternoon after work.....I'd planned to make a nice dinner and then decorate the tree, but I think the decorating will wait for another day!
 
Out of all of our children, 3 of them have children of their own (so far). Of them 2 are in the military, so they travel all over the place. Right now both of them are stationed in California...different parts. One of my sons has 3 sons now. They had their 2nd child in Alaska in November 2010. So I spent 2 weeks up there at Christmas. Beautiful country. It is very hard to only get to see them once or twice a year, but the destination vacations to see the g-babies is very nice.

Suz, it does sound like you overdid things a bit yesterday. Take it easy. Ice, elevate and medicate.

Tammy
 
Nice to see you're going along so well.

Reading your thread and Tammy's how come in the US surgeons often don't allow weight bearing? Don't think I've seen it in UK users threads.

I'm in the UK and I wasn't allowed to weight bear until my 6 week check. Total nightmare. My friend, who had her surgery in the same hospital, 3 days before me, was told to almost immediately. Go figure that out.
 
Really is strange. Would love to know what sort of percentages it is.

As long as the end result is the same all is well I guess.
 
I'm in the UK and I wasn't allowed to weight bear until my 6 week check. Total nightmare. My friend, who had her surgery in the same hospital, 3 days before me, was told to almost immediately. Go figure that out.
I don't recall specifically being told not to weight bear, but I did follow my PT protocol closely and I only got exercises that required standing on the operated leg after 6 weeks.

I think whether or when you can bear weight depends on wheather the cup is cemented or not and even the surgeons don't all agree on it. Hip replacement is a very popular procedure nowadays and I think all hospitals do it. I live just outside a small city of 37,000 and thought I'd have to go to a bigger city to get it done, but a local surgeon did it and there are 2 or 3 other local surgeone doing it. They likely all studied at different teaching hospitals under different surgeons, so it's not surprising they have different ideas.
 
I have had 2 revisions. Both done by the same surgeon, same hospital, had bone grafts with both 7 years apart. The 1st time i could walk on from day 1 the 2nd couldnt for 6 weeks ??
 
oldyellr
Mine was uncemented, and as soon as I got home my PT had me balancing on my operative leg for 20 seconds. That was easy, so we tried 30 seconds. Still easy, so the next visit she brought a foam pad for me to balance on which made it harder, and I thought that was a bit much, to tell the truth.

I really liked going up and down the stairs sideways, though, and I still enjoy doing that from time to time:egypdance:
 
oldyellr


I really liked going up and down the stairs sideways, though, and I still enjoy doing that from time to time:egypdance:

that sounds like a good exercise! i haven't done that one before....
i did just try skating though, thought i was going to land on my butt the first 3 seconds!
 
cnydutch :yikes: Skating? Are you insane:rolleyes: ? Ice skating or inline skating? Either way, I hope you haven't given Suz any ideas....

If you fall on your butt skating you will be very sorry and I bet Josephine will ream you out. Your new hip is still very new!

Was it fun, though?:heehee:
 
YEA!! SOOOO much fun, felt a little NORMAL again!!!
posted a pic in my recovery thread!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom