THR Recovery going TOO well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bananas are also good for preventing cramp and massage if you can reach it. Your shoulders take a lot of pounding if your not fully weight bearing on your leg. I find muscle rubs good the smelly ones I'm not sure if you call them the same in the states, but in the uk deep heat or ralgex. Good for you on getting the shop sorted by directing others.
 
I've been taking magnesium for a couple months now. Hubby said it wasn't a true cramp, he couldnt feel a "knot" anywhere that I said it hurt. It was more of a tightness, like someone was grabbing "inside" the leg and squeezing. Massage didn't help, so I just wrapped the heating pad around it for about 30 minutes and it was better!
 
Thankfully no recurrance of the leg "cramp", but for the first time today had actual pain in the area of the surgery. It was easily controlled with pain meds, but felt really strange, like someone stabbing me in the butt cheek! LOL

I'm still getting nagged at from every direction that I'm "doing too much", but since I don't see any of those people stepping up to help, they're just gonna have to kiss the place that was hurting! LOL I think I'm doing better about not putting weight on that side (although I'm told the opposite), and I've found ways to do some of the things I want to do while sitting down, so I think I'm getting better at it. Sure do wish the shoulder pain would let up though....heating pad, ThermaCare heat wrap for shoulder, IcyHot or BioFreeze......they all will help a bit, but the relief doesn't last long. :(
 
I hear you Suz... Heat on one spot, ice on the other..

It is tough when you are the 'do it person' .. Part of your nature, but, and I know you have heard it before, you have been through major surgery and your body is going to set the timetable for healing, so try and relax hon :)

Sorry about your shoulder pain, you are coping with enough from the surgery. :)
 
Just stopping by to see how you are doing today Suz (@YoungGma). I love your user name. We are about the same age and I have 5 grandchildren. They call my husband and I g-pa and g-ma.

The post-op blues SUCK! But hang in there, better days are coming. Please stop by the forum and vent. We are here for you.

Tammy
 
Thank you for checking back on me! :) As usual, some days are good, others no so much. I had to laugh, yesterday my husband decided we'd go to town for groceries and to get printer ink. We always shop together, since I don't drive, but I found it funny that the guy who is constantly nagging at me for "doing too much" didn't think ANYTHING of having me traipse all over Walmart (you KNOW, computer stuff is at the BACK of the huge store) AND all over the grocery store...with just the 3 minute drive from one to the other to "rest"!! He realized the error of his ways when we got home......I headed straight for the recliner and the heating pad while he got to put away five big shopping bags of groceries!

I have a feeling this coming week will be the worst as far as frustration. It's the last (HOPEFULLY) week of non-weight bearing, but it's also Thanksgiving week here in the US. I'm not hosting dinner this year, of course, but I'm already irritated that I won't be making my special pumpkin pie. I probably could, but the darn walker is just in the way too much, and in my tiny kitchen it's just tough to follow the "rules" and still prepare something from scratch. I have decided that I'll wait til my first week "free" and make one to take to my Dad. Since Mom passed (this is 3rd Thanksgiving without her) I'm the only one who gets pumpkin pie "right" for him.....the key is triple the cinnamon and double the cloves! Everyone thinks it would be too much, but for Dad it's "just right". :)

On top of the pie situation is the Chamber of Commerce Christmas Kick off. It's on Friday. Normally I work at the thrift Friday morning and then spend the rest of the day, until about 8 pm, working Kick off. Help set up for Santa, set up tables for drawing registration, last minute decorating, and then the actual event, where I run the raffle. Not sure what I'm doing yet, but know the walker is going to be in the way once again!

So, be prepared, I see some venting in my future!! Thank you all for being here!!
 
Your pie recipe sounds...interesting! I'm sure it will be appreciated whenever you make it. Don't stress about what day it is.

I hope you took advantage of using a scooter while in WalMart. That store is huge and usually crowded. They put those electronics all the way in the back of the store so we have to walk be all kinds of great deals.

Vent away my friend! I'm here to listen and commiserate. I too have a growing sense of frustration as I have a lot of traditions that I can not take advantage of this year. Black Friday madness for one. My school district is shut down for the week this week and I am usually running around like crazy with my girls. Not this year. I'm just lounging around the house in boxer shorts and t-shirts. I haven't put on a lick of make up or done my hair in two weeks now. Not wearing a bra for the last two weeks has been VERY liberating :happydance:. So, not all of it is bad.

I will make a deal with you....you vent to me and I will vent to you! How's that? From one young g-ma to another.

Enjoy the day!

Tammy
 
Damn! Tammy, that sounds like a good plan to me! I had to really laugh at your description!!

I have a feeling the coming weeks will bring a lot of frustration for fellow "hippies". That is another reason I'm glad I did mine as early as I did! Although, it was sad to tell my middle grandson that we couldn't come to any of his football games (he's 8 yrs old and playing for the first year) because Grandma couldn't ride that far. (They are 3 1/2 hours away) I may miss out on the major stuff this week, but at least I'll be in better shape for Christmas! My youngest grandson (who will be 2 in Feb) will be here, along with my nephew who just turned 1 in September.....at least we'll only have to contend with Dad's walker and not mine too, since there will be 9 adults and two toddlers in my Dad & sister's tiny little house! Sis (whose idea of "family" is cats and dogs) insisted she wanted to have Christmas at their house this year (she & Dad moved to a tiny house together about 9 months after Mom passed, the house will be hers when Dad is gone).....I'm not sure WHERE she thinks she's putting everyone, since their living room seats four, any more and you have to bring out folding chairs and block the walk way!

I did not use one of the electric carts in Walmart. On top of my other issues, I'm visually impaired, so it's MUCH safer for everyone (including the displays!) if I don't! I don't see well enough to drive (never have), so the idea of one of those carts just scares the beejebers out of me! I used my walker and just hobbled along while hubby pushed the shopping cart. In the grocery store I used a shopping cart as a "walker", which doesn't work so well, but I managed.

Today I'm contemplating how I'm going to get the Christmas lights hung at the thrift. They need to be up by Thursday and my husband has no time to do it (between working all 3 jobs this week). Normally I do it; it's inside, just across the top of a big picture window, but still involves a step stool. None of the volunteers that will be in town are able to do it, so that means I'm back to making phone calls and begging for help again. This is sure getting old!!
 
Don't let being visually impaired stop you from using a scooter. Damn! and Bellaroma have already taken out two hapless shoppers in MA and FL. And then we have Nerdgirl in WA, and with you we have a warrior in the heartland.

I hear your frustration :headbang: at not being able to function at your usual pace right now. Hang in there; your BS friends are here for you.
 
Yeah, go for it! And don't feel bad if you hit anything, either. I dislodged a clothing rack at Target and I have no visual issues ( well, glasses, but I was wearing them) . We were able to put it back in place no problem.

I feel your frustration, though. Maybe you can come up with an alternate design for the lights, instead of hanging from the window?

Good luck!
-nerdgrrl
 
Don't let being visually impaired stop you from using a scooter. Damn! and Bellaroma have already taken out two hapless shoppers in MA and FL. And then we have Nerdgirl in WA, and with you we have a warrior in the heartland.

:rofsign:

Good one sissy46. Take her advice YoungGma and go for it! You could always just put it in reverse and let the warning noise tell the world you are coming!!! Now we can post a warning from coast to coast to look out for the BS "hippies"!
 
The image of me taking out a display with one of those carts makes me laugh.....until I think of how upset my hubby would be! LOL I could just tell him I was doing my job for my section of the country, per Bonesmart! LOL

I swear, the closer I get to being "released", the more agitated I become. I will be going to the surgeon on Tuesday, just 3 days from now. From what I understand, he'll do an xray and if all looks good, release me from the weight bearing restriction. Since I've had no problems, I can't imagine him NOT doing that.....but my husband keeps telling me not to get too excited yet, to be prepared to have to keep the walker or crutches a bit longer. Of course, he has NOTHING to base this on, so it's really annoying me. Plus, he keeps telling me that I'll "probably want the crutches or walker part of the time" just because I'm not used to walking anymore. I'm to the point I want to take a crutch to him.....it's probably a good thing he's working at his PT job this weekend!!

When the 6 weeks of restricted weight bearing is over, you usually go back to "business as usual", right? I know I'll have the 90 degree precautions longer, but that should be it, shouldn't it?? Frankly, I'm so tired of the crutches and walker, I'm really tempted to go ahead and leave them parked while I do things here at home this weekend. What could it hurt??
 
Oh Suz, you poor thing. You know what they say about husbands...can't live with them, can't kill them. Keep those crutches around girl so you can tell your husband that you will put it where the sun don't shine if he keeps getting on your nerves :). On second thought, why not go for a scooter ride and let the displays fall where they may! Besides, you have an obligation as an official Bone Smart Warrior.

Just kidding. However, don't leave your assistive devices parked until your doctor says to. I am concerned that you will be unsteady on your feet and may trip or fall. Please be patient just a few (3) days longer. Vent here about your frustrations with life, men and hip restrictions. I (we) will be there for you.

Tammy
 
Whoa, Suz! After all you've been through, don't take a chance now. Three more days. I'm with Tammy, I think a therapeutic scooter ride would do you good----go ahead, take out a few shoppers and knock over some breakable displays.

They won't arrest you if you scream "my hip, my hip!" when they drag you off the scooter, and you won't even have to clean up the mess.

You and Tammy both go to the doctor on Tuesday---fingers crossed for positive news on both fronts, Warriors:yay:
 
I don't plan to leave the house, or even go downstairs without them, but I have straightened up the living room a bit and left the walker sitting nearby. It felt good to actually walk like a "normal" person! Josephine, do you think I'm taking to big of a risk? Right now, I think it's my sanity that's at risk more than anything!! Although I do feel better, just having the living room looking more "presentable" gives me a little less stress. Not sure WHY, because hubby and I are the only ones ever here, but it just does!! LOL
 
For what it is worth, I think you are taking a big risk. Not yet! Please wait a few more days. I understand about wanting to tidy things up as I am a bit of a neat freak myself. Just promise us you will be VERY careful. We care about you!
 
Suz, your body will tell you when you are ready to transition to the next mobility aide. It is when we suddenly forget to use it and take a step or two that we know we are getting stronger.

I remember the first time I walked the full length of my corridor (at about the same stage as yourself) with hubby at the other end, I was so proud of myself!. BUT, I also knew that I would not be able to sustain that. I took Jo's counsel well and truly on board and have paced my recovery slowly, so by 7 months I mostly had that forgotten hip and now at 12 months it is very surreal if I stop and think - 'oh yes, I have a hip replacement, no that can't be true!'

My walker hung around me for a good 10 weeks! Then just took off on my own two legs, no sticks!

See what your surgeon says on Tuesday, you will be fine, you will be happier once you get the reassurance from him!
 
Had my six week check up yesterday, and the surgeon is very pleased. He said my xrays look "excellent" and best of all, I can now go full weight bearing!! No more crutches or walker! He did tell me to use either a single crutch or cane (I'm opting for cane) "until you feel comfortable"....no particular time frame, when I don't feel I need it, I can get rid of it. I'll go to PT for a session of "gait training" tomorrow, to show me how to use the cane properly. (On the side OPPOSITE the operative side, which seems odd) Now maybe my shoulder and opposing hip/leg can recover from the extra strain they've been under!

He told me I can do whatever I feel up to doing, to let my body be my guide. I go back for another check in a month.

Suggestion for those getting ready for follow-up visit....write down your questions, AND REMEMBER TO TAKE THE LIST ALONG! LOL I forgot my list, so need to call when the office opens, as I forgot to ask about longer trips in a car. I'm assuming they will be ok as long as we stop and get out to move around periodically. My older grandchildren live just over 3 hours away, and my granddaughter and I want to celebrate our birthdays together right before Christmas (they are just 3 days apart)! I haven't seen those babies in a year, so am praying he gives it the ok!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom