THR Recovery from Anterior THR with robotic assist

TinyMom:heehee:The truth hurts sometimes.
No, seriously. To clarify, quad pain to quad soreness to quad sensitivity.
And of course, in MY case.
We all are different so hopefully yours will ease sooner and perhaps since I didn't have a good leg to stand on, or I had two injured legs...it took longer.
Am good now though!:chuckmarch:
 
Hi everyone,
I had my 3-week check-up with the PA today and all is well! :yes!:And in other super-exciting news, I am allowed to drive again!!! :happydance: I got my work arrangements sorted out, too. I am cleared to work up to 10 hours a week from home until my next check-up, and I confirmed with HR that this will not affect my paid leave as long as doc signs off.

I learned more about my surgery today. The additional small incision I have on the opposite hip was where they anchored the robot to my left hip bone. Apparently, it has to be attached to a fixed part of your anatomy. There’s a camera and a robotic arm that move during surgery, working from that fixed point. I also learned that I have an extra piece in my prosthesis... this is not because of the type of surgery but because of my small bone structure. Not sure if I am explaining it right, but she said they added an extra plastic piece over the ceramic head to give the joint more stability. The head of my implant was small, and they wanted to make sure it was secure in the cup. I have before & after x-ray pics - will see if I can figure out how to post those.

She thinks my rash is contact dermatitis - normally, a steroid would be in order, but she said that’s not a good idea just a few weeks out from surgery. So, she recommended a different OTC cream that should help (and yay! I can drive to the store and buy it myself! :egypdance:) Since it’s on my arm and far away from the incisions, she’s not concerned, but I sure would like the itching to stop.

She said the quad pain will be hanging around for another month at least (you’re right on @Mojo333), and told me I should think of it as a pulled muscle — essentially what it is. I am permitted to use heat now on my lower thigh, near my knee. I should keep icing up higher by the incision. My incisions are still covered in surgical glue (so even the sharpie marker is still there), but she said they look healthy. I can start using vitamin E on them and doing some gentle massage.

I was very anxious about the appointment today and did not sleep well, but am feeling very relieved things all went well. I think I will take a nice long nap today! :sleeep::sleeep:

Hope everyone is having a good day!:flwrysmile:
 
Technology challenges... :what: not sure how to make these images normal-sized. Anyway, here’s the before and after...
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery from Anterior THR with robotic assist
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery from Anterior THR with robotic assist
 
:goodpost: @TinyMom
All wonderful news! I'm very happy for you.
It is comforting to go to that first appointment have all your questions answered
and know that you're on the right track. Getting that release to drive is the icing on the cake.
May it only get better and better. :yes!:
A great weekend to you!
 
:yes!:all sounds splendid.
Down the road you go:wowspring::driver:
So glad all looks good.
Interesting indeed about hooking up your robot:flabber:
Now we know!:)
 
So happy for you@TinyMom. Freedom at last! Plus the ok to work from home. Yay for you! Just be careful. It’s so easy to overdo it once you get going. It’s amazing the technology they have now. Both in your surgery itself and the extra piece they put in for stability. Praying the new otc ointment works for you. Hope you sleep better tonight with all of your wonderful news. Hugs
 
Well, since getting permission to drive again, I’ve gotten back to my exciting life (ha ha) of driving the kids to and from practices and such. I’m actually feeling pretty good, even with the increase in activity. Have been missing the stronger meds a little bit - not for the pain but because they zonked me out and I got more uninterrupted sleep. Hopefully, I will find my way to more restful sleep again soon.

I have a few questions for those of you who have been-there-done-that:

How long did you all keep your incisions covered? I don’t like to even look at mine (a downside of anterior, I guess) and I really don’t want anything touching it. So, I have kept a single layer of gauze over it almost all the time. The PA suggested I leave it uncovered so more of the surgical glue can loosen up, as the glue can cause skin irritation if it’s on too long. I’ve put vitamin E on it and tried gentle massage as the PA recommended, but that feels uncomfortable at this stage of healing.

Next... Has anyone gotten an itching sensation in spots that are numb that are kind of getting feeling back? It’s not a real itch, since scratching my skin does nothing as I am still fairly numb. It’s like it’s under my skin. Does this sound like something that could happen as the nerves heal?

On a similar note, my skin is super dry where I have been icing. Is this from the ice or the swelling? I’m putting lotion on it, but if it is from icing, maybe I should put on lotion before I ice? Any tips would be appreciated. Just one more reason I am ready for the winter weather to be gone!

Also, the lotion recommended by the PA for my rash has done wonders! Rash is just about gone and it does not itch anymore!! The lotion is called CeraVe (with pramoxine hydrochloride 1%, steroid-free). If anyone gets contact dermatitis from their tape or bandages, I would recommend this stuff!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
 
Hi @TinyMom
Getting back into our routine, as boring as some aspects may be, is a great indicator that we're healing.
You're doing well! I hope you soon find the more restful sleep you're missing.

I kept my (posterior) incision covered with gauze until my first post op visit at three weeks. They removed the clear plastic tape over it at that time and I never covered it again. It was Summer during my recovery and I wore skirts and soft light weight yoga pants, clothing of that type so that no rubbing or friction occurred. Applying the Vitamin E Oil to remove the tape sounds helpful. I used to rub a glop of body wash on mine in the shower (clean hand) then turn away from the shower head and wash my hair etc while the soap worked on the adhesive. I even GENTLY scratched a bit off each time until it was gone. My upper thigh looked like a messy old graph with glue and purple marker lines along the incision, lol!

I think the itching is the incision healing. I felt prickly sensations off and on also. There is a lot of healing going on in the area. Many weird sensations, usually fleeting.

A quick internet search on the dry area you're icing tells me that the activity level of the sebaceous glands
in the area is slowing oil production as you're icing. Makes sense to me :yes:
Sebaceous gland - a small gland in the skin which secretes a lubricating oily matter (sebum) into the hair follicles to lubricate skin and hair. They are found throughout all areas of the skin except the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.

Thanks for recommending the OTC lotion for the contact dermatitis. May be helpful to some.

Hope you're having a great weekend! :wink:
 
@TinyMom glad you’re getting some normalcy back into your life. Hooray!! So happy the cream helped! I had posterior with staples. Staples cane out at two week mark and all bandage taken off. Yoga pants were most comfortable for me, plus massaging with vitamin e. I had some itchiness and a burning sensation for one day. Hope you’re having a great weekend!
 
Has anyone gotten an itching sensation in spots that are numb that are kind of getting feeling back?
Yes, ma'am...mine got more pronounced as numbness subsided before it finally went away.
I used pure organic coconut oil right out of the shower while skin is damp and it soaks right in and doesn't need alot of rubbing:unsure:
Still use it as I bought a tub of it and I like it alot. Those annoying bumps that would come up on my elbows also went away when I began using it.
Keeps my skin hydrated all day.
Glad you are doing well, @TinyMom
:driver:
 
@TinyMom

You said a few days back that you were cleared to drive. What did you need to be able to do to get that clearance? You and I had surgery the same day, both on right hip. Right after surgery, my OS said 6 weeks before I could drive. Since everyone recovers at a different rate, I have to believe that there is some functional test that says you’re ready to drive, rather than some arbitrary time limit. I can’t wait to get some independence back. I had only just started driving again after my first surgery, when the rod broke. Except for a few days, I’ve been dependent on others for rides for 9 weeks.
 
@Lucky man - There wasn’t a functional test, per se, but I needed to be off the prescription painkillers and they checked my strength and mobility before giving the go-ahead. From what I understand, they need to make sure you’d be able to hit the brake to stop quickly, if needed. If you feel like you’re ready, it would seem reasonable to talk to your OS to see if there’s any way to move that date forward. I think every doc is different with respect to driving after surgery, but six weeks sounds like an awfully long time, unless there are complicating factors from your prior surgery. Either way, in your case, nine weeks without the independence of driving has to be really tough. I hope you can get it worked out!
 
@Layla, @hipster333, @Mojo333 - thanks for the helpful info and insights! My whole thigh and incision area have all kinds of weird sensations... pain, pulling, numbness, tingling, itching, and occasional spasms. Sounds like it’s all part of the process. I’ll keep lathering on the moisturizers (will give the organic coconut oil a try, as I have some already) and will work on my patience with this healing stuff.

Thanks again, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!
 
I was so happy that other bonesmarties could let me know that there is a myriad of strange sensations after THR.
You have got this TinyMom.
Great attitude equals great recovery.
All part of the healing process.
Hope your week is sweet!:yes:
 
Hi @TinyMom just checking in to see how you are feeling. How is the working from home going? How are you adjusting now that you're doing more running around with the kids?
 
you are coming along awesome!! Great news!! They told me 5 weeks before I can drive...ok with me..I can't get a speeding ticket in that time!
 
Hi @hipster333 - things are going okay so far. The work from home arrangement is ideal - I can ice and elevate in my comfy clothes while responding to email and taking calls! :ice: And 10 hours a week is a nice easy pace to start out, so I will take it! Running the kids around is not as low-key but it feels like normal life, which is good. My activity level has definitely ramped up this week, and so far so good. No new soreness.... still that same stingy quad pain and some residual swelling. Just need to stay out of the ODIC with some outpatient PT on the horizon. First appointment was today but was more of a baseline check, so easy-peasy!

@sequin98 - haha, as someone who has a bit of a lead foot myself, I can relate! Hope you are doing well!

Have a great day, everyone! :) :-) (::) :-) (:
 
Great job, TinyMom.
You have got this. Coming up on one month....still really days.
Take your time when possible.
We are rooting for you!:happyfeet:
 
Happy to hear the approach you're taking in an effort to phase back into work.
I'll bet it's nice not worrying about what to wear to work, lol!
It's sounds like you're doing well. Taking it slow and easy.
Wishing you a wonderful week as you continue to heal.
@TinyMom
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom