Hello Bone-Smarties!
It’s been a while since I’ve visited the forum, but I’ve been thinking about all of you lately and thought I’d check in with an update at 5+ months post-op.
Just got back from a week-long vacation with my husband and kids. We took a cruise to the Caribbean and had a wonderful time! I spent so much of the week feeling extremely grateful for my new hip. Between excursions and adventures, I had time to relax and reflect on just how far I’ve come. On our last two vacations, I was so limited... I could barely walk 5-10 minutes without stopping from the stabbing pain in my hip. This trip could not have been more different! I climbed a waterfall, went river tubing, zip-lined, swam with dolphins, and walked up at least a hundred flights of stairs. Nothing was stopping me and my new hip!

My recovery journey has had its moments... I’ve had two dry needling treatments this summer to deal with persistent tightness in my IT band. It seems to have helped a lot — and with the tightness released, my gait has returned to normal. Right now, I’m just dealing with zaps and aches from the nerves regenerating in the huge numb area on my thigh. It’s still a little tender, but I have no pain with any activity. I’m continuing to teach my fitness classes with no issues at all. My left hip gives me trouble some days, and I know another THR is in my future. I won’t wait so long next time... recovery is no picnic, but life on the other side is good!
Many thanks to all of you who make this forum an amazing resource! In addition to being grateful for my new hip, I often reflect on how grateful I am for the kind and generous people here who have given me so much encouragement this year. You pulled me through some tough days and helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am so very thankful for this supportive community and for the forum advisors and administrators who give of their time to help all of us patients. You are the best!!!
