Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery from Anterior THR with robotic assist

Hi there @TinyMom
Good to hear the nausea is improving. It will soon be history.

The knee is maneuvered in an effort to dislocate the hip. There can be swelling and bruising.
Try icing the knee right along with your hip.
Hopefully your BP returns to normal soon. It sounds as though your recovery is going well.
A great week to you!
 
I am finding this forum is an amazing resource and all of you active members are so great! I have spent much of the day today reading recovery threads and I want to thank you all for sharing your journeys. I have laughed (looking at you, @NanaMama), cried, learned lots, and have been so inspired! I am still adjusting to the idea of the ups and downs and good days/bad days that are inevitable during recovery!

@Layla - thanks for the much-needed reminder about what the knee goes though. I have a gel ice pack wrapped around mine and am keeping it elevated. It’s swollen and painful, and is “clicking” when I walk. This too shall pass!
 
Glad to read that your nausea is easing. Keep icing and elevating that really is the best for recovery along with not pushing yourself. Wishing well with your continued recovery
 
I’m at Day 6 now, and it feels a lot like Day 5. I slept well and still took a long nap... feels weird to sleep so much, but I guess my body needs it.

I have a question for anyone who had a total collapse of the joint prior to THR... I am getting feeling back in my thigh, and have been experiencing extreme tightness in my quad muscles. Had PT today, and she thinks it might be from lengthening everything back out when the joint was replaced. This seems to make sense - anyone else have this? I am icing like crazy because it hurts, really from my knee to my hip on the outside of my leg. I am doing gentle stretches, but O. M. G. (ouch)! Will have to go easy on those... PT says I need to stick with the walker for a while. The quad pain is a concern plus I have work to do on my gait. I haven’t walked normally in many months. My body does not know how anymore.

Thanks all for the well wishes!
 
And I changed my avatar pic today. My cats have been my constant companions during recovery, so I felt one of them belongs here! :loveshwr: Today was my first day with no visitors and I did not feel lonely at all!
 
So happy for you. I've been absent due to some severe health issues with my dad, and I was so happy to see your positive report.:loveshwr:
 
Thanks @Mojo333. Hope your dad is okay!!
By the way, I LOVE your recovery chart! I found it while reading through others’ threads and I think I will make it my screensaver to remind me that recovery is a winding road leading to a much better place!
 
I am having a mild panic attack. The pain, tightness, and numbness in my quad muscles have really been nagging at me. So, I googled (NEVER a good idea for a worrier like me) and I am now half convinced I have compartment syndrome!
:yikes::sos::shocked:

I will watch it overnight and will just talk to PT tomorrow, unless it gets much worse in the meantime. I just want to feel better (physically AND emotionally)!!
 
Hi there,
No need to worry. Just try to relax You're only 6 days post op. Your body is in healing mode. You will
have pain and feel many different sensations. Just try to roll with it.
Hopefully you're icing, elevating and taking meds on schedule.

What is compartment syndrome?

Remember, this is a process, your body was injured and now its healing just as it should.
Patience and perseverance....you'll get there!
@TinyMom
 
Thanks @Layla - your words are comforting. I am sure I am needlessly worrying (“borrowing trouble”, as my mom would say), but my emotions are all wacky at the moment. And boy, I sure can worry with the best of them!!

Compartment syndrome occurs when a lot of pressure builds up in a muscle compartment behind the fascia, which doesn’t stretch. If not treated, it can result in permanent damage to the tissue (or worse - - and a coworker of mine was a victim of “worse”). It can happen after surgery but it is quite rare. Symptoms are similar to what I am experiencing... though, of course, what I am experiencing would not be too unusual after THR either. I have been keeping an eye on my range of motion and swelling, and I think I have calmed myself enough to sleep.

I hope I can look back on these posts in a few weeks and giggle at my post-surgery insanity.
 
The pain, tightness, and numbness in my quad muscles have really been nagging at me.
Perfectly normal, exactly what I experienced and what is to be expected.
Can take different forms at different stages but my quads were sore for months.
Don't worry, it will subside as time goes along. Lots of trauma trying to recover there. Ice, ice, ice.
Don't google, Bonesmart!:ice:
 
I have a question for anyone who had a total collapse of the joint prior to THR... I am getting feeling back in my thigh, and have been experiencing extreme tightness in my quad muscles.
My left hip collapsed before my THR. Limping around trying to stay off a sore hip allows the muscles to atrophy. Then they are pushed about and stretched during the procedure. The pain you are feeling in that area is totally normal. Ice and elevate. This will ease with time and gentle stretches.
 
Thanks, @Jaycey! I appreciate your insight, having gone through the same awful collapse.

I am an emotional wreck today. Everyone told me I would breeze through recovery because I am (was) in great shape prior to surgery. I’ve been a fitness instructor for 20 years (just a part-time gig for me), and was teaching up til my hip got too bad in January. PT was supposed to be easy stuff. So, when I couldn’t do a basic stretch yesterday, I panicked and assumed something terrible must be wrong. This recovery stuff is really hard, and I guess I am still coming to terms with just how hard it is (no matter what “everyone” said!)

Day 7 = :bawl::bawl::bawl:
 
This recovery stuff is really hard, and I guess I am still coming to terms with just how hard it is (no matter what “everyone” said!)
Yes for some it can be quite difficult - especially if your hip collapsed. I am afraid there is nothing you can do to rush this recovery. Your hip is in charge.

Please read your last sentence in your post above. At only 7 days out of major surgery you need to reset your expectations. Give your body a chance to heal. We are talking weeks or months - not days. Read these articles again:
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Patience my friend - you will get there!
 
As I stated on my thread this deal is a lot more invasive than advertised! I'm past week 5 and the feeling and pains change every day and after every walk or PT.
 
:wave:Hope you are hanging in there!
The emotional journey that accompanies the physical healing is also normal, at least it was for me.
Built up anxiety for upcoming surgery, followed by a rush of relief and adrenaline, followed by fear and uncertainty...did I really do this?
Followed by This is rough stuff...etc. etc.
Post op depression can linger or come and go at different points in recovery.
I was a basket case at times. But my BS pals held me up and I persevered and slowly but surely the excitement over being rid of that chronic pain overrode the worries over the aggravations and I have been ELATED at the results of THR.
My life is better. I am healthier and happier.
Patience is the hardest part...
Try to roll with it for now.
Sending healing hugs!:loveshwr:
 
@Mojo333 - thank you! I have been reading your recovery story since yesterday - made it up to Feb. 2018 so far. You are one tough cookie, going through BTHR!! And you crack me up, with your scary noodles and DAC! :heehee: My kids were giving me looks as I was belly laughing while icing on the couch yesterday!

I am so relieved to see lots of what I am going through, you already went through, and then some! And it’s great to have an idea of what lies ahead. They don’t tell you this kind of stuff in the discharge papers!! So, thanks for sharing your story. It has helped me so much already!

It’s day 8 and today I am grateful! ...for caring family and friends, for a new hip that doesn’t hurt, and for Bone Smart :) :-) (:

Thanks everyone, and have a good day!
 
I had tight quads with first hip and numbness and the same thing with this one @TinyMom. The numbness in right thigh is in different area than left. It all just takes time but it does improve. The more I am walking now without assistance, things are loosening up. Also, don’t forget about the swelling, it can stay for quite awhile.
 
Thanks, @MammaT :) :-) (:

I’ve been reading through more recovery threads - it’s so helpful to know that my aches and such are normal! I read yours today with great interest (btw, I am in Ohio, too!) since I am likely going to need that LTHR down the road. I will take a cue from you and not wait til it gets as bad as the first hip. Your positive outlook is inspiring and I look forward to reading more about your journey!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom