Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery from Anterior THR with robotic assist

Hope you are recovering from overdoing. We all get bouts of that. As far as those of you with kids at home while recovering, been on both sides of that fence. Now that kids are long gone from house, all I can say is don’t wish away a moment.
 
:hi:
Sneak in all the naps you can before work next week.
Tell the fam you're prepping for work, you need to be sharp so you can
mentally process those conference calls :yawn:
Hope your weekend is good and your Easter lovely!
@TinyMom
 
Ack between your son's grades and having to start back on conference calls, you've got too much stress going on @TinyMom. Should you really be on conference calls when you're still on the oxy? Those could be some interesting calls. :heehee:
 
Hi ladies! Hope you all are having a good day :)

@Layla and @hipster333 - you give me good food for thought regarding my return to work. My project teams really want me on these calls next week, but I don’t have to do it. My OS has already authorized 10 weeks of leave if I need it and the timeframe was approved by my HR department. That’s great, but therein lies my dilemma... it’s really on me to make the right call about when I start easing back into work. I know the longer I am out, the more work I will have to get done in less time, setting me up for major stress upon return. So, easing back in makes sense, but I think once I log on, my colleagues will consider me to be “back” and will start leaning on me a lot again. I guess I need to see how I feel next week... it’s true, oxy and conference calls probably don’t mix! :heehee: I’m really conflicted on the best way to go about this, so if anyone has advice, I’d welcome it!

@MammaT - There are kernels of wisdom in all your posts, so I now think of you as the Bone Smart sage! :) :-) (: Thanks for the reminder about appreciating the years with the kids at home. I mostly do, but oh boy, there are days...:headbang: ha ha!
 
If you want an in-between approach, maybe you can informally sit in on the calls on a "listen only" basis. Take plenty of notes and then consider an email response if something is necessary (with someone proofing your response first). One of the biggest issues for me in the first few weeks was "surgery brain" - my memory went absolutely south and continued in that direction for weeks after I'd gotten rid of the meds. I had so many post-its stuck to my computer it was hard to see the screen!

Also, if you are on paid leave, double-check with HR before you do ANY work from home or otherwise. Many paid leave policies do not recognize a phased return and no longer pay anything after you begin working again.
 
Excellent points, @SaraK! Thank you!! I think as long as the OS authorizes some hours working from home (he said he would), it won’t jeopardize my paid leave - but good point that I should have that in writing first! I definitely need to be mindful of “surgery brain”. I know the teams will be making decisions on next week’s calls — I’d like a say in those decisions since they’ll affect me, but yours is a good reminder that my thinking won’t be crystal clear. The need for physical healing post-op is obvious, but I am recognizing the mental and emotional impact of surgery, too.
 
@TinyMom
Catching up on everybody in their own threads. Really tough decisions about back to work. Too early and you pay a price and cannot gracefully back out if it is too rough on you. Sara's points are excellent.
Also, as an employer, I would consider no work until off narcotics. Does your company have a policy on that?
 
@BeBe - yep, lots to think about... I don’t know if I will be completely off the oxy by next week, but I think it would be probably be okay if I was only working a little in the morning and taking oxy later in the day or at night if needed. Another good point I will need clarification on. Thanks!
 
I felt the same way about having less to catch up on if I managed to help all I could but there is no backing out once I showed I was "there"
As tipped as I was off resting, icing and recovery business...I actually longed for the days I only had to worry about me.
As a mother and working mother at that, we don't do much of that prioritizing.
Milk it all you can I say.
Wish I would have.:umm:
 
@TinyMom I know it’s hard not to be included when decisions are made, but I vote on waiting to go back. I wish I had given myself a couple more weeks. My hours increase to 5 hrs a day this week and I’m dreading it. Feeling pretty good right now, but it was a hard week and I think I put my recovery back a bit. I know you’ll do whatever is best for you and your family. My leave wasn’t paid unfortunately so I had to get back as soon as I could. Hope you’re having a great weekend!
 
Hi @TinyMom
You do have a lot to consider and a lot of good advice to process. Personally, I can't imagine
conference calls at only 2 weeks post op. My memory was non existent for several weeks.
I also believe that once you begin easing back in you'll have colleagues who are respectful of your
phased return and the few who have the attitude "Either you're back, or you're not!"
There are always a few inconsiderate types in every workplace.

I too think it wise if you could hold out for at least a couple more weeks. You're still so very early into healing from a major surgery. It would benefit your recovery if you could concentrate on yourself for a while longer. Lots more healing naps while the little angels are in school.

Prayers for clarity as you sort out how to proceed. Wishing you a peaceful and relaxing Easter!
 
Hi @Mojo333, @hipster333, @Layla :wave:Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your insights based on your experiences! It’s hard to predict how I will feel tomorrow, much less next week and beyond!

I got clarification from my manager. I’m not supposed to do any work (including calls) until I get a signed authorization from my OS, so I will comply with that despite the texts I am getting! I have an appointment next Thursday with the PA and will talk to her about when it would be okay to start an abbreviated schedule - like 5-10 hours a week initially, working only from home. Based on the feedback i’ve gotten here (love BoneSmart!), I think I should delay returning to the office as long as possible. Being at home means more time for icing, elevating, and naps. And no commute and no dress clothes! All things my hip will appreciate.

I can’t believe I am past the 2 week point. I feel so much better than last week!! That said, I learned first hand today why they say you need to keep to your schedule for meds so you can stay ahead of the pain. I woke up very early this morning, grabbed a little granola to put something in my stomach so I could take my oxy, then I guess I fell back to sleep before I even took the pill (duh). Then when i woke up later, I couldn’t remember whether I had taken it or not, so decided to wait... ugh, wrong call. I was hurting!! Took me a while to get right again.

All in all though, I’m feeling okay and getting around well with my cane. Still have the pesky quad pain and tightness, and I am feeling a little more pain around my incision... but that seems to be due to the fact that I am getting feeling back in the area. That numbness was good for something!

Good night all, and have a lovely Easter! :flwrysmile:
 
Ha ha, @AgilityDog :heehee: Between the anesthesia and meds, i am sure i have a ways to go before I am ready to think about complex projects. Thanks to all of you for helping me to rethink my approach to getting back to work!!
 
Hi all, Just checking in... I’m on day 18, and things are progressing fine. Home PT was here today and I passed all her “tests”. I don’t really do the exercises they recommend, but I am glad to have the home PT for incision checks, getting my vitals (BP still running a little low), and feedback on my gait... I limped badly prior to surgery and I’m finding the habit is hard to break. Quad pain is still an issue, but it is *slowly* getting better.

Mood-wise, I’m feeling antsy. Had family over for Easter, and while it was nice not to have to go anywhere, it didn’t help my cabin fever. Up here in northern Ohio, it’s been too cold to get out to walk. We’re in for a short-lived rise in temps tomorrow, but rain forecast all day will probably keep me inside again. Then, it’s back to cold for the rest of the week.:tantrum: I am sick of not being able to drive, too. I miss my independence!! Like, I’d love to see my PCP for this rash on my arm, but hate to trouble anyone for yet another ride as I have been leaning on family and friends so much. It’s just a little rash, but it’s itchy and annoying. (I get reactions to adhesives sometimes, and the rash is where the tape was when they drew my blood in the hospital.) I’ve tried every OTC product I’ve got, but nothing seems to help. On the bright side, it’s not getting any worse.

I’ll see my surgeon’s PA on Thursday, and am very much looking forward to that. Hopefully I can get cleared to drive and to ditch these TEDs! Will see what she says about work, too. I’ll have a long list of questions ready for her!

And since I need to remember to be grateful when I am cranky, today I am thankful for restful sleep. :sleep: With the OA pain gone, I am sleeping a million times better than I was 18 days ago!

Have a good week, everyone!
 
:wave:@TinyMom
I hate to tell you that I don't know how much stressing/rearranging/stretching they did with my quad muscles, but they felt as if they were used for punching bags, but mine ached for months.
Honestly after the first week it was the main focus of my pain.
Ever decreasing thankfully.
Had to remind myself as I got increasingly more active to take time to ice as that was the best medicine.
You are doing great. Hope all continues to improve.:ice:
 
:hi: Hi @TinyMom
Wondering if PT advised heel-toe walking for the limp?
My PT suggested it and I found it truly helped.
It takes concentration after the sloppy gait we established due to our pain.
Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. Try it if you haven't and see what you think.

Cabin fever does set in. I remember it well. I had the opposite weather conditions as it was July and HOT.
Stay in the house AC hot! Feeling trapped came quickly. You'll soon be out buzzing around like before, only difference is you'll be feeling way better!

Possibly the PA will be able to advise on the rash on Thursday? Might be worth asking...I'll bet you get cleared to drive also as long as you're off the heavy narcotics.
I admire your grateful heart even in the midst of recovery. It's refreshing!
It's nice to hear that you're sleeping peacefully. Sleep can become elusive in those weeks leading up to THR.

Best wishes for a wonderful week! Let us know how your appt goes on Thursday, if you care to share. :flwrysmile:
 
@TinyMom
First I have to tell you your kitty is a ringer for our since passed Bucky. Every time I see it, I see him. Love my cats too.

Yes the weather! I'm in PA and we had another 8" of snow Sunday night. I would go crazy if it was spring weather - too much landscaping I can't do...

I'm with you on the quad pain. Since I raised my walker height and started wearing a higher shoe on my left shorter leg, I'm doing much better with pain and limp. Especially limp. Not sure if you're still using walker, I have to catch up more.
Good luck on your OS appointment!
 
@TinyMom just checking in to see how you're doing today. I'm in Southern Ontario and we have similar weather to what you're having right now. I hate that feeling when it's raining or too cold outside and you just want to break free. It's supposed to just pour tonight and tomorrow here. I'm glad I jumped on my stationary bike before heading out to work this morning. I think it helped to get everything moving before I got here. Trying to take it easy, but it's hard when I keep thinking of things I should be doing. I also brought the wrong shoes. :gaah:These ones cause pain in my instep when I walk because they don't have the right arch support. Sorry about the rash! I know it gets tot he point where you feel bad asking for rides everywhere. Soon you'll be driving and won't have to worry about it. Hope it clears up soon and your appt goes well with PA!
 
Thanks, all, for your posts!

@Mojo333 - months of quad pain?? I’m gonnna need more patience than I have in reserve at this time! And lots of ice, too! :ice:

@Layla - i’m doing well with the heel-toe part, but I have to work on “equal time, equal pressure”, as the PT likes to remind me, to even out my gait. And I am not bending properly through my knee due to the quad pain. Yes, I will for sure ask the PA about the rash. Though as long as she clears me to drive, I can get to the PCP at my convenience. Will have this solved soon enough.

@BeBe - pets can bring so much joy, can’t they? And sorry about your Bucky. Glad you are walking better! I’m using a cane now, and just trying to get rid of that limp. It’s much worse if I take a few steps without it, so clearly, I still need the support!

@hipster333 ( @BeBe, @Layla, too) - my fellow cold-weather BoneSmart friends! I got out to walk for just a little bit today between the rain showers and storms. It was chilly and my quad muscles got tight quickly. I didn’t want to push it, so I made it a really short walk. :sad: Spring really will come, right?? I have been thinking for a while about getting a stationary bike. It sounds like those on here that have them find them helpful. My husband just loves it when I find new ways to spend money :heehee:

Have a good night everyone!!
 
Back
Top Bottom