Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery from Anterior THR with robotic assist

Hopefully we get some lasting spring weather here in Ohio soon- will make the outside walks more pleasant. Just give yourself time to heal. You will be amazed at where you are in just a few weeks @TinyMom.
 
Hi there :hi:
Normal, normal, normal.
Your thoughts, fears, worries, concern....all normal!
Stick with us we'll see you through.
You're doing great!
Wishing you a comfy, cozy, peaceful, relaxing weekend!
@TinyMom
 
Thanks, ladies!

Day 9 update:

Swelling = almost gone
Bruising = colorful!
Pain = managed
Emotions = mostly positive
Sleep = infinitely better than before surgery!

Nagging tightness is still my biggest issue. Need to muster up some more patience for that...

In a quest for more normalcy, I am going to try to paint my toenails today! It’s the little things, right?

Hope you all are having a good day!:SUNsmile:
 
:yes!:for progress.
Easy on stretching for those toes.
Don't make me put you in time out:no-fin:
Early days for you, so behave.
We want you happy and healthy as a mule eating briars.
Hope your weekend is sweet.:curtsey:
 
Hi fellow hippies,
Here I am at Day 11 and I am excited to report things are going well! I had PT this morning and was “graduated” to a cane! :yahoo: I’m feeling stronger and am moving a lot more, but still being careful not to do too much... I can see where restraint will be important as things feel better. I continue to deal with the tightness and soreness in my quad muscles, but am noticing some improvement.The weather is nice here today, so I even got to walk outside! (@MammaT, hope you can get out walking, too!)

My incisions are now uncovered and looking okay - still full of Sharpie maker from the surgery, so not too pretty. There are spots of swelling on the incision - not angry, red, oozing, or anything to indicate infection - just seems like fluid under the skin. I have read similar accounts on other recovery threads so I am not worried, just wondering how long it takes to go away and whether I should do anything to move it along (just ice?)

Thanks, all. Hope everyone is having a good Monday!
 
Congratulations on your graduation to cane @TinyMom! My first few days on cane I would still revert to walker towards evening (when I was tired) and for those 3am potty runs when I wasn’t quite awake, but that only lasted for a few days.

It was brisk but I got out for my mile walk. Taking my ice break now.

I only iced my incision area for first few weeks and haven’t had any fluid type things but I’ve read of others so I don’t think it is uncommon or ominous.
 
Hi @TinyMom just read through your thread and glad you are doing better. :). My quads were really tight to begin with too and had I had to stretch them. The tight quads were causing knee pain and popping. Luckily that has all calmed down. There was one point I was sure I needed tkr because of the knee pain. It’s crazy where your mind will take you in this journey. I am terrible at jumping in the internet at the first sign of trouble too. Not a good place. Lol. I think I would have lost my mind without my BoneSmart friends. :) you mentioned you have three kids. One is 10. How old are the other two? My 12 yr old has given me 2 pedicures now since my surgery. After 7 weeks I think my kids are tired of hearing about my hip and think I should be recovered already. Hopefully yours are able to help you out.
When you have those down days make sure to get outside for a walk if you can. It’s so easy to feel trapped in those early days.
 
Day 12... having my first run-in with the ODIC :no-fin: First real outing since surgery and oh what fun... had to go with my husband to meet with the accountant to file our taxes. Woohoo! (is there a sarcasm emoji??). Was feeling good, so I suggested a trip to the drug store to restock supplies. They didn’t have one thing I was looking for, so I had him drive to another store. :bignono: Now I know what you all mean when you say that you don’t know you’re overdoing it until you’ve overdone it! So, now here I sit, icing and elevating, wondering what the heck I was thinking. No plans for tomorrow so will be taking it easy.

@hipster333 - thanks for your sweet post! I have only been a part of this forum for a short time and already have felt so welcomed and encouraged by the wonderful people here! I am such a worrier, and knowing that these pains and feelings are normal has been SO helpful. I don’t know about you, but I am the only one in my circle of friends who has had a joint replacement, so finding others in the same boat has been a huge relief!

My kids are 14, 12, and 10 - two boys and a girl! My oldest has been especially helpful to me, surprisingly so since he’s a typical teen absorbed in his phone, video games, music, etc. But he’s the one who’s most likely to notice when I am struggling or need help - and he’ll drop what he’s doing to give me a hand. I did not see that coming, but it has been a good surprise on my journey. So far, the whole family has been pretty good about it all, though I’m only on Day 12. I am worried, too, that they will get impatient with the pace of this recovery. I know I am!!

The whirlwind of emotions has really caught me off guard. It is easy to get discouraged and overwhelmed... I will take your advice and get out of the house to walk when I’m getting down. With the spring weather (hopefully) coming, I am looking forward to **pain-free** walks through the neighborhood!!

Thinking of you this week as you’re getting back to work. It’s so hard to dial back on the supermom tendencies, but you have to take care of you, especially as you’re adjusting to work again! Sending good thoughts :flwrysmile:
 
...oh, I forgot to gripe about the accountant, who after inquiring about my cane, proceeded to tell me about his THR last summer. He had no pain, no swelling, just walked out of the hospital with no cane, walker or anything, and then went right back to work. Said he was surprised I needed a cane after almost two weeks :hissy::headbang:

My husband was very reassuring. :roseshwr: He said he thinks mr. accountant has selective memory and somehow “forgot” about a couple of weeks in there. It’s like the THR version of a fish tale!
 
Don’t compare yourself to some of the super recovery stories out there @TinyMom. They may be fishing stories or true. You sound like you are more like the majority of us. What matters is you are progressing.
 
He said he thinks mr. accountant has selective memory and somehow “forgot” about a couple of weeks in there. It’s like the THR version of a fish tale!
:doh:

I'm with DH. Selective memory.
Sorry about the ODIC...been there a few times. Not fun.
Extra extra resting, icing, and elevating.
When do you go back to doc?
I didn't have any incision issues and yours doesn't sound like problem per se, but might want to check with OS anyway.
Hope all eases soon.:ok:
 
Happy Wednesday!
Haha! Have heard a few of those fish tales too during my time here :bigfish:
Some just aren't happy unless the can One Up you :skep:....Mr Accountant.
Reminds me of the character Penelope on SNL that Kristen Wiig portrayed :rotfl:

Hope you recover quickly from the ODIC. It feels good to get out and be part of the world
again but the energy drain is real in those early days. That's where naps come in :sleep:

You're doing great. Hope your day is wonderful!
@TinyMom
 
Oh, wise @MammaT. You are so right that I should not compare. Still working on that! I can’t help but feel I’m not measuring up to expectations. Like when the accountant made a snide remark when entering the W2s from my fitness side jobs... something like - huh, it’s the fitness instructor that needs the cane? Ugh, yes, I really need thicker skin!!

@Mojo333 - the PT checked my incisions the other day and said they look fine, but if the swelling changes or becomes bothersome, I will call the OS. I see his PA next week. Hope to stay out of trouble until then! @Layla, I am icing and elevating now. :ice:Will need a nap soon, too.:sleep:

Have a good day, everyone!
 
@TinyMom hope you're feeling better after ODIC. I swear ice and rest solves everything! Wow, bet you just wanted to kick that accountant :hairpulling:. You are doing great and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You were right about our kids being the same age. My son is 14 too. I'm really glad yours has surprised you and stepped up. :loveshwr:Mine has been great through all of it, except for a snide comment here are there that he never wants to hear the words "please bring me ice" again :heehee:--oh and can I please let him know if I'm having anything else replaced so he can move out first. (This coming from the same kid who tells me he doesn't want to move out until he's 35). At least I know how to get rid of him when the time comes--just have more surgery.:rotfl: I don't have anyone in my circle of friends who has had a hip replacement either--it's tough when no one really understands. The principal at my school has been having a lot of hip problems from arthritis so he's been grilling me for tips (I told him the best tip I can give him is to not wait to long to get the surgery if you need it--otherwise it just messes with the rest of your body and makes recovery harder). It must be hard for you being a fitness instructor having to go through this since you were so active before. --plus comments like your lovely accountant made.:blackcloud:
 
I think it's time for a new accountant! You're lucky - my primary caregiver after both of my surgeries was my 16 YO son (at least he's the youngest, though, so no little ones to look after). He did a good job and didn't grumble too much, but his idea of cooking and cleaning up the kitchen are much different from mine! At least I have someone that comes over to clean the house every 2 weeks and he's not allowed to use my bathroom.

The only person in my circle with a hip replacement was a client/friend who started asking me questions when I was getting ready for my first surgery. Now she's had 2 THR by my surgeon. Which do you need more faith in the surgeon - having your own THR or recommending to your client? Luckily, all went well for both of us.

The person at work who was the least understanding and wanted me to do hours of work "right now" less than a week after surgery? A former physical therapist who should have known better!
 
@hipster333 - gotta love them when they’re 14, huh? I like your strategy of more surgery to get him to move out! :rotfl: Not that you actually want surgery, but it’s a bonus if you gotta have it anyway..! Mine will be more likely to offer post-surgery help in exchange for being allowed to stay when we want to kick him out. He brought home some lousy end-of-quarter grades today and threw my relaxing afternoon into a tizzy!:hairpulling: Separately, yeah, it has been tough to step away from my fitness classes. I pushed it way too long and taught through lots of pain at the end (to your point, this contributed to other issues that I am now dealing with in recovery). With my left hip on borrowed time, I need to think about hanging up my sneakers. We’ll see...

@sequin98 - Yep, i wanted to take a swing at him with my cane... :heehee: but he’s a really good accountant, so I will put up with his nonsense once a year.

@SaraK - that is so great that your son was your primary caregiver! You must be so proud that he handled it so well. I think it is very positive when kids take on such important responsibility and put someone else’s needs ahead of theirs for a short time. It builds character and teaches valuable life lessons. I am feeling some pressure to get back to work quickly (at my day job), and I am nervous about managing that. I do lots of project work and have the ability to work from home. On one hand, that’s great, but it also means I will be getting invites to conference calls starting next week. :yikes: Though the physical demands are minimal for that, I am SO not ready to dive back into the stress of deadlines. I’m still needing my naps and haven’t yet weaned off the oxy!

@Clipper - :heehee: I should have gone to that ODIC, as I’d probably feel better than I do now after my run-in with the overdid-it-club!!

Have a good night, all. Sleep well!! :sleep:
 
Back
Top Bottom