TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Janet. I was a bit nauseated and dizzy when we left the outpatient surgery center. So I just concentrated on staring at something in the car that didn't move until we got home and I could get on the recliner. Then I took something for the nausea and slept all afternoon. Liam fixed me some chicken-noodle soup for lunch. After that it was OK.

They didn't do the D&C -- just the hysteroscopy, some sample from there to send off for labs, and a biopsy of the cyst on the outside. Lab results from last Friday's procedure have not come back yet. However results from the annual pap smear are that I have ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance) – not abnormal, not normal -- positive for high-risk HPV virus. So at my follow-up appointment next Wednesday the doctor is going to do a colposcopy, and we'll "go from there" -- depending on the results. I AM still spotting with some additional bleeding. I talked to the nurse this morning and she said that's not uncommon for it to last 7-10 days. So I'll see how it goes in the next couple of weeks. Too many medical appointments.

The GOOD appointment will be my 6-month followup with my orthopedic specialist -- the SAME DAY. I'll see the gynecologist in the morning :what: and the orthopedic specialist (or his assistant) :yahoo: in the afternoon.

6-month post-op (RTKR) -- Magrat is doing much better these days, the shin splint is GONE, and my left knee is behaving. :yes!: :) Stairs are much easier now. Liam and I have each lost almost 40 pounds since the beginning of the year. :cheers: So, all-in-all, we're keeping busy. This week has been TOO busy, but next week (except for Wednesday) will be much calmer with less scheduled events and meetings. We can get back to going to the YWCA (exercise & yoga) :bicycle1: and the mall (walking) and relaxing in a more normal "retired schedule". :heehee: :mcoffee::cheers::SUNsmile: -- whatever that is. :whistle:
 
Becky, everything else aside, sounds like you are doing well at 6 months! I'm looking forward to the 6 month and 9 month marks, as I know I will be just that much closer to feeling normal and not thinking about my knees. Cookie and Elmo have done well by me, but at 4 months old are still having some minor growing pains. I saw the OS two days ago and he called me a Star, so it must be all good. I won't see him again until the one year mark.
 
Sounds like all in all you are doing good. Wonder why you are having nausea. How far out were you when you started climbing stairs? I am not doing PT now. My OS was extremely pleased with my flexion and extension. Wonder if that is a mistake?
 
Becky, I'm sorry to hear that you are going through some very trying times.:console2: I wish you the best of outcomes! How are your sisters doing? I am hoping all is well with them.

I'm glad to hear that Magrat is treating you well! You and Liam are doing really well with the weight loss, congratulation!:thumb:

I look forward to hearing good news from your last tests! Good luck and Godspeed!:friends:
 
Janet, glad that you are doing good at 4 months. You and Elmo and Cookie Monster are stars. :dancy: We're getting there. I had follow-up appointments at 1 month, and now (this next week) at 6 months. I think after that it will be a 1 year appointment to finish things. While at lunch today, Magrat had some minor pains on the left side of my knee -- first time in a long time (I don't remember the last time). I straightened it a bit and it felt better. I may have been just having it bent at the same angle (sitting at the table) for a long time. When we have lunch with these 2 friends, we tend to eat, and chat for a couple of hours before we leave. This particular couple met while they both worked at the Smithsonian -- in the "back" making models and whatever else the next project was. There's a lot of people working in the "back" on new projects, exhibits, etc. Anyway, the 4 of us never seem to run out of conversation. :heehee:
 
Theresa, it's wonderful to see you here again. The nausea was after my hysteroscopy surgery last Friday -- because of the anesthetic that had me in "la-la land". After I took the nausea meds and was able to stay on the recliner in one place, I was much better and slept. I have no idea what I was "watching" on the TV that afternoon. After last Friday I was fine, and no longer needed any of the meds -- for nausea or pain.

Climbing stairs has been a gradual process. I haven't gotten to the point that I don't even think about my knee when I go up or down stairs, and I don't use stairs every day. We have 2 steps up to our front porch -- one of which is taller than the recommended height for a step. What can I say, we need to have the front steps repaired. :shrug: They are cement, so they aren't going to "give way" or anything. I mainly hold onto the rail when I use steps -- just not as tightly as I did a month ago. Other than practicing the steps at physical therapy in the 1st 3 months and an occasional step or two (like at home), I didn't start doing stairs until after 3 months -- and that was at a restaurant in Indianapolis where I had a choice of either taking the stairs VERY SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY -- or waiting for 5-10 minutes for their service elevator while everyone else in our group was already enjoying sitting down and chatting. So I opted for the stairs, and took it very slowly and carefully -- mostly doing the "good leg up, bad leg down" method. It's only been recently (close to the 6-month mark) that I've actually used the stairs from the parking lot at the church. My "temporary handicap" sticker was for almost 6 months -- until the end of September. So until recently, we had been parking on the sloped driveway with handicapped parking available -- using the lower "non-handicapped" space for the past few weeks.

Congratulations on your flexion and extension. :thumb: My flexing has "regressed" a bit, but is getting better gradually again. It's good to continue the exercises, but you're OK doing them as long as it's not painful. Now that I no longer have the shin splint, I've "graduated" again from PT. So I'm feeling better about doing the exercises that help.

You're doing good at 4 months. Don't be too hard on yourself or your progress. It will happen. We're all cheering for you. Take care, dear friend. :friends:
 
Hello there..I Live In the foothills of NC.....little town of Taylorsville...Nice to meet ya...

Hi, Gran17. I'm not familiar with Taylorsville. What is it near? It's good to meet you too. How are you doing with your PT and recovery? I'll look for your thread and post there too. :flwrysmile:
 
Jacky, thanks. :) Hope that you are doing well. It's been a "too busy" couple of weeks. This week was (and is) the busiest. I was at the Fall Retreat for the "Daughters of the King" at Kanuga Conference Center -- the same place where I attended the Episcopal women's retreat in June. This time I didn't have to use a cane, and I walked everywhere and enjoyed it. :yes!: I commuted each day this time (Monday until Wednesday). The retreat lasted until this morning (Friday). However I had a meeting at our church Wednesday evening for our "newly being formed" chapter of the "Daughters of the King". So I relaxed for a bit Wednesday after lunch in the "fireside lounge" area of the main building at Kanuga, and then drove home to relax and have supper before going to the meeting. Then Thursday (yesterday) I went to the ECW (Episcopal Church Women) board meeting at the diocesan office in town (I'm on the board) -- making plans for the next 12 months. NOTHING today except lunch with our friends. Tomorrow morning (Saturday) we're having our monthly ECW meeting at our church. So I'll be there for the morning. Then nothing until Sunday morning -- for the service. Like I said, this has been a BUSY week. Next week will be MUCH better -- no busy days except my 2 appointments on Wednesday. YEA ! :yay: Now it's time to relax a bit. Maybe sometime next week we'll visit the Biltmore Estate one day for lunch, and get discounted annual passes for the next year. :)

I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes next week with the tests -- and my follow-up report about Magrat. :thumb: I'm thinking it might be time for a cup of coffee now. :mcoffee: Talk to y'all later. :flwrysmile:
 
Wow Becky, you are one busy lady! I got tired reading about all your hard work! You certainly have stamina, lady! Good for you! I'll be watching for more of your post!:friends:
 
Jacky, I "made" time to sit and relax at Kanuga -- even when it meant skipping a session or workshop or getting there a few minutes late and sat in the back of the room. I skipped everything Wednesday after lunch just to relax on a couch in the "fireside lounge" for an hour before heading home. I'm tired too. My sisters have been calling this week (about the tests), and asking Liam when he answers the phone "Where is she today?", "Is she EVER home?" So I've talked to both of them -- and to our brother -- about updates (them and me) -- and assured them that next week will be less busy.

Oh, yes. My sisters are "hanging in there" with their medical appointments and health issues. Jeannette is going through chemo again and having to have injections to improve her white cell count -- and trying to find something she can eat (dealing with nausea, etc.). Melinda is in remission at this time with her cancer. She said that she and her son are going on an overnight trip -- just to "get away" and relax. Hopefully she will go. The change of scenery will be a good break for both of them. Getting "around" is hard for her, but as long as they stop for breaks on the way there and back -- they can then enjoy the time away from "stuff" while relaxing a bit. My brother and his wife are planning to take Jeannette to a concert near her home -- if she feels "up to it". Hopefully they will all have a good weekend. Liam and I plan to have a good one too. Maybe we can all plan to do something fun and relaxing this weekend. :cheers::egypdance::friends::sleep::mcoffee:
 
Good to hear that at least you have recovered from your tests and are getting around so well. You sound so busy.
Stairs are strange, I can mostly do them, but only if there is a hand rail. I can use both legs now though. Sometimes I forget and still go up on all fours (at home) because I forget that I can do stairs now, when for so long I couldn't.
 
Organist, hey nice to meet you...Taylorsville is about one hour North of Charlotte, 2 hours east of Asheviile, 1 .5 hours from Winston Salem..im doing ok.. Doing my own PT per my OS...this is a longer and more painful recovery than I ever dreamed.. How bout you????
 
Good to hear that at least you have recovered from your tests and are getting around so well. You sound so busy.
Stairs are strange, I can mostly do them, but only if there is a hand rail. I can use both legs now though. Sometimes I forget and still go up on all fours (at home) because I forget that I can do stairs now, when for so long I couldn't.

Jess, it has definitely been too busy this week. I can do stairs, but I'm not comfortable with long staircases yet. I hold onto the handrail and take a deep breath of relief when I get to the top or bottom -- partially in surprise that it's not as hard as I expected, though still not comfortable. I agree with forgetting that we can do stairs now. It might be that we have gotten so accustomed to pain associated with going up or down stairs that our memories try to remind us to be careful.

I've tried kneeling on 2 separate occasions now -- once on the recliner which is well cushioned, and the 2nd time at the altar rail at church. It's uncomfortable enough that I don't feel ready to "make a habit of" kneeling -- and definitely not ready to try getting on the floor (as with yoga) and getting up again with pressure on the knees.
 
Organist, hey nice to meet you...Taylorsville is about one hour North of Charlotte, 2 hours east of Asheviile, 1 .5 hours from Winston Salem..im doing ok.. Doing my own PT per my OS...this is a longer and more painful recovery than I ever dreamed.. How bout you????

Gran17, we usually go to the "Loch Norman Highland Games" (at Lake Norman) in the Spring. That's the main time that we make it over to the Charlotte area from Asheville. We also like to go to the Grandfather Mountain Games in July. I noticed on the map that you're not too far from Morganton? We have church meetings there occasionally. That's about the only time I get closer to your area. If you're ever traveling to or through Asheville, let me know. We could get together for a cup of coffee or something. :) :mcoffee::cheers:

Personal PT continues for me too. Now that I no longer have a shin splint and have "graduated" for the 2nd time from official PT, we are getting back to exercise at the YWCA, and some mall walking. I do stretching and flexing exercises at home too -- to keep working at continued recuperation. :bicycle1:
 
Jess, it has definitely been too busy this week. I can do stairs, but I'm not comfortable with long staircases yet. I hold onto the handrail and take a deep breath of relief when I get to the top or bottom -- partially in surprise that it's not as hard as I expected, though still not comfortable. I agree with forgetting that we can do stairs now. It might be that we have gotten so accustomed to pain associated with going up or down stairs that our memories try to remind us to be careful.

I've tried kneeling on 2 separate occasions now -- once on the recliner which is well cushioned, and the 2nd time at the altar rail at church. It's uncomfortable enough that I don't feel ready to "make a habit of" kneeling -- and definitely not ready to try getting on the floor (as with yoga) and getting up again with pressure on the knees.

I haven't tried kneeling yet. I haven't been able to kneel since 2001, and I don't want to tempt fate.
 
Jess, I'll wait for another month or so (or maybe in the Spring when things warm up again) before trying kneeling again. There's plenty of exercises that I can do meanwhile -- along with the regular knee and leg exercises. Hope that you are doing well with your recovery "in process".

At 6-1/2 months I'm doing fairly well -- working on getting better. My left ankle seems to be permanently sprained (many sprains over my lifetime). The right ankle has been sprained many times too, but the left one seems to protest the most often.

Elisea mentioned IT band issues. I checked online to read a bit about it. I'm not sure about the "IT band" issue. The pain that I have sometimes is on the inner side of my knee. When I've been sitting for awhile, I still get up and flex my knee and legs "briefly" before walking -- not all of the time, but sometimes. Sitting at the organ on Sunday mornings, I flex and stretch my knee/leg here and there (during the sermon), and sometimes straighten my leg up on the organ bench for a few minutes. I get the normal "clicks" occasionally with my knee, along with the tight hamstring behind the knee. So there's still plenty of recovering to do.

Oh, yes. The colposcopy has been postponed until January -- to give me time to heal from the previous procedure (according to my current GYN). I'm thinking about the possibility of switching to a different GYN specialist in a different practice in our area. We'll see what happens. November seems to have become way too scheduled to add any more MD appts, but I'm checking with friends for referrals.

Other than that (and the continuing health problems of my siblings), we're doing OK -- and having fun times with family and friends whenever possible. It's a good way to improve life. :):friends::mcoffee:
 
Dear Becky, Glad to hear that you are still doing well, and hoping that your other problems, and also your sisters' health problems all resolve positively soon.
I think I am doing well, and I have no pain from the operated knee, together with a good bending motion. However, I am still very stiff when I get up, especially if I have been sitting for some time.
The only pain I am getting is in the other leg, caused, I feels sure by walking so badly for so long. Whether it is IT band, or the hamstring I don't know. It certainly isn't anything severe, but I have slight pain in my hip, and the muscle / tendon on the back right side of that knee feels quite sore and a little swollen at times. It is very mild when resting, but becomes more painful with a lot of walking.
My husband filmed me last week on holiday, walking around some standing stones, and certainly at first, until I got into my stride, I was still rocking from side to side, until I got going.
Hopefully, as I get less stiff, and walk more, and with a better gait, it will resolve itself. If not, I see the OS again in December.
I am trying to come off all the painkillers now, quite successfully I think, and only taking Ibuprofen for the stiffness as necessary.
I walked probably two or three miles a day last week in York, and although I was extremely stiff afterwards it does seem as if it is something one just has to go through in the healing process.
On the whole though, it seems as if the operation has been a complete success and I am overwhelmingly glad that I had it done.

Sorry to hear about your ankle, sprains seem trivial at the time, but I am not at all sure they are ever as strong again, and still seem prone to let you down, and then the injury gets worse.

Anyway, keep on playing the organ and being positive.

We will both get there.

I feel sure.
 
Thanks, Jess. We'll definitely both "get there" -- along with all of our friends here. I'm soooo glad that I had the knee replacement. I can get around much more normally now -- including stairs (though still slowly). It's good progress though. :happydance:

You're doing great with your walking. That's one of our main exercises these days -- along with a couple of yoga classes (using chairs instead of being on the floor). Liam can't get on the floor for a couple more months -- after his hand surgery a month ago. He's finished with physical therapy for his hand, but isn't supposed to do any weight-bearing activities (as in yoga on the floor or starting up the lawn mower using that hand) for a couple of months. So we've decided that when the weather is better, I'll help him start up the mower so he can cut it one more time for this season. By next Spring his hand will be much better. He's permanently "banned" me from most of the yard work since we live on a steep hill, and the yard is mostly uneven ground in addition to being very steep. We're thinking about planting some lemon thyme at the bottom of our property, and letting it cover the steepest part of the slope. That way it will smell wonderful, and that part won't need mowing. :yes!:

They're predicting high winds, rain, snow, power outages, and flooding in low-lying areas all along the East coast -- including inland. What with Hurricane Sandy colliding with a cold front heading east, etc. -- it will be a time to stay safe and (hopefully) dry.

Positive thoughts, prayers, candles, and positive energy for all those facing these storms -- on land, on sea, and in the air. They've shown videos of ocean liners going through the rough waters right now. I would NOT want to be taking a cruise this week. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom