TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Jess. We got a dusting of snow overnight in Asheville. Higher up in the mountains around us is where they've gotten more snow. It's not a time to get out if you live further out in the mountains on "twisty-turny-climby-divey" roads where the sun never shines because of the trees, the shadows of the mountains, etc. It gets dark earlier when you live in some places out in the mountains. You stock up and stay home. We've got plenty of food, and still have power. So we're OK. I've got a crock pot stew (added veggies, etc. to a pot of beans) going, and am baking 2 loaves of "cheesy" Sally Lunn bread. So the house smells good -- and there's coffee. :mcoffee:

Continuing thoughts and prayers for all those still facing the storms and the aftermath of the storms.

Hope that you are doing fine too. :friends:
 
Jess, let me know when you're crossing the pond for a visit.

I baked 4 loaves of "burrow bread" today, and plan to bake a couple more tomorrow -- for the bazaar. I don't remember if I've mentioned what's in "burrow bread" -- flax seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seed meal, bread flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, etc. I've cut down on the amount of sugar, and it's still sweet enough. This seems to be popular with the regulars who come to our bazaars. If any are left, I'll put it/them in the freezer for after church snacks or a church pot-luck. The "cheesy" Sally Lunn bread is good. We had a couple of slices last night with Kerry Gold butter on it.:)

Hope that you have a good Thursday.
 
November has been too busy -- a Daughters of the King retreat and the annual Episcopal convention for Western North Carolina (different weeks but both at Kanuga Retreat Center near Hendersonville, NC), and a week's visit to Florida to visit our daughter, son-in-law, and new grandson (Liam's daughter from a previous marriage). We had a fabulous time visiting the 3 of them. The retreat and the convention were good, but it's good to be back home with nothing like that scheduled for the foreseeable future.

Oh, yes. Liam and I went to the up-country in South Carolina to share Thanksgiving dinner with a nephew and his family. Our family has been "spread out" for the holidays. The telephone and FB helps us keep in touch. Maybe I'll send a few Christmas cards this year. :ok: It could happen. :whistle: I've actually accomplished that every couple of years or so. :heehee: However there was one year that I sent a few Christmas cards out in the beginning of January. Since Christmas lasts from December 25th to January 5th followed by the season of Epiphany, I wished them a Merry Christmas and a wonderful Epiphany. :angel: I guess I should start by getting out one of the boxes of Christmas cards. We seem to have a good supply.:umm:

I'm 7 months post-op for my RTKR (as of the 10th of November). So 8 months post-op is coming up soon. I'll post more of an update later. I'm trying to catch up on posts here and in other groups -- along with getting ready for Advent and Christmas at our church -- music and everything. At least it's calmer since we're back home, and "staying" home.:)

BTW, in case you're wondering -- my profile picture is of us on our honeymoon in the Poconos (East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA). We were standing in front of a waterfall.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
You have been one busy lady, but it all sounds fantastic. Know you enjoyed time with family. Looking forward to your update. Take care.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
 
Becky, you are quite an active lady! And, you always make me hungry! It sounds like you had a wonderful time at Thanksgiving, all us BoneSmarties had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!

Stay well my friend! :friends:
 
Would love to hear how you are feeling now that you are 8 mos out. Give us a little hope for whats to come???? Hugs!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina

Judy, Jacky, and Nanners -- thanks.

Sunday was the first Sunday in Advent, so we had our Advent Lessons and Carols service – LOTS of Advent carols sung and a beautiful service. We were both too tired to do anything else Sunday afternoon. So we rested, :zzz: drank coffee (with a little something added), :mcoffee: watched a movie, and had leftovers for supper (dinner for some of you). Oh, wait. :umm: We had a late lunch (I think that was the leftovers). Then we had snacks (chips and hummus) later in the evening.

It’s hard to believe that I’ll be 8 months post-TKR on the 10th. Magrat is doing well. I’m back to practicing more complicated organ music now – with fancy footwork along with the fancy finger-work. :dancy: I’m still doing my flexing and stretching exercises to increase my recovery – at various times during the day. I’m considering trying out “the mat” the next time we go to the YWCA for the yoga class. I’ve been avoiding the idea of getting on the floor. :scary:

Sunday during the Eucharist I decided to kneel at the altar rail when we went up for the Eucharist. That was a RUDE awakening. It felt strange, but didn’t really hurt. The thing that “hit” me was that somebody had raised the height of the altar rail since I last tried kneeling a couple of months ago. Aaaaaaahhhhh ! ! ! :yikes: Well, at least it FELT like they had raised the height of the altar rail. I felt like a little kid with both arms propped on the altar rail at shoulder height too keep from sinking any lower – ready to say “More bread, please sir.” :ok: OK, OK, I didn’t, of course. :heehee: I KNOW that I haven’t shrunk that much in the past couple of months. :skep: Ah, well.

Other than that, Magrat complains occasionally – pin pricks with the nerves resetting themselves (or something), achy sometimes. However most of the time it feels fine. Maybe we’ll tour the Biltmore Estate during the evening sometime in the next couple of weeks to enjoy the Christmas decorations and the live holiday music in every room – except the bathrooms, of course. :loll: That will be PLENTY of exercise – up the stairs, down the stairs, up some more stairs, down 2 or 3 stairs, up 5 or 6 stairs, ..... lots of exercise. Stairs aren’t a problem anymore – as long as they are regular height, and not steep ones.

Time to think about supper. Talk to y’all later.
 
How ya doing Organist?

I liked your recap above! Can't relate to the feeling of shrinking as I gained an inch, but I can definitely relate to the kneeling on the knee. It does feel strange and I get off of it asap. I was thinking of buying some of those real cushy big ol' knee pads for just such an occasion. Do you think they would clash with a fancy outfit? :heehee:

You must be kept very busy with all of the Christmas music programs and recitals during this time of the season.

Did you visit the Biltmore Estate like you mentioned above? Hope you get to do lots of fun things like that over the holidays.

Well, I do want to wish you a very Merry Christmas!
 
Elisea, I don't think cushy knee pads will clash with a fancy outfit.:heehee: We haven't been to the YWCA or Biltmore Estate yet. Things have been too busy. Also I've gotten one of those "bugs" that's been going around. So I haven't been doing anything since Thursday evening when it started. I feel like a "truck ran over me" -- figuratively speaking, of course. At least the sore head and neck went away by yesterday morning.

I think Biltmore Estate keeps their Christmas decorations up until the end of December. However we'll probably not get there until after that. We'll have to plan on visiting sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas next year.

Except for this "bug" we've been enjoying (in a relaxed way) the holidays. I tend to avoid listening to the secular Christmas music. We hear it from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas Eve, and that gets very tiring. I like to wait until the week before the 25th to enjoy the traditional Christmas music.

Once I was traveling home for Christmas on Christmas Eve, and was trying to find some Christmas music on the radio. I finally got some music, and heard Robert Goulet starting to sing one I had NEVER heard -- "Christmas Is December's Fourth of July". YUK ! I turned off the radio as he finished the first phrase in the song (the title).

We have watched a few of the traditional Christmas movies too -- like "Christmas Story", "A Christmas Carol", "Elf", etc. This year is an anniversary of the original "Miracle on 34th St.", so one channel on TV has been playing it back-to-back most evenings for a week or so. We watched it once. Once is enough.

Don't think I'll be singing anything tomorrow morning during the service -- it would irritate my throat. It would be hard to play the organ for the hymns if I start "hacking and coughing". We'll see.

Hope that you have a wonderful Christmas full of fun things with family and friends too.

Best wishes to all of you for however you celebrate the holidays. Have fun whenever possible in whatever ways you can with those you love.:friends::cheers2::cheers: I like the :tree-miley: decorations for the season.

:reindeer::gbhse:

:xmasdance:
 
Becky, I hope your "bug" leaves you soon so you can enjoy the holidays! How is your new knee treating you lately?

I hope you get well soon! :console2: I also hope your hubby is doing well too!

:merrychr:
 
Hi, Jacky. Liam is doing fine. Hopefully he won't get this "bug". At least I no longer have the head, neck, and shoulder pain from the beginning.

Magrat is doing well. The main thing that I've noticed lately is that every once in awhile she'll briefly zap me as a reminder that she's there. Usually it's around the knee, but occasionally above the knee -- sometimes I wake up with her zapping me. I think she doesn't like whatever the position of my right leg and knee is at that moment. I'm assuming that mostly it's the nerves saying they're "thinking about" waking up.

Walking and stairs are no problem. We haven't been back to yoga class in the past few weeks because Liam's hand still needs time to recuperate from his surgery. I think we'll start back after the New Year and when I get rid of this "bug". I HAVE knelt at the altar when we've gone forward for the Eucharist on Sunday mornings -- 3 weeks in a row now. :tada: Tomorrow morning, I'll probably skip going forward since the choir goes first. As bad as I feel, I'm planning to skip the church dinner after the service too -- and just go home. Since Liam has to do some work in the church office before coming home, maybe we'll take both cars so I can come home, and he can enjoy the dinner -- and bring me back some food to enjoy later. I've been eating homemade chicken-n-rice soup (with more frozen veggies added) for the past 2 days. I'm glad that I put up some leftover chicken-n-rice soup in the freezer. I think I'll do that again -- with winter starting.

Hope that you and your family are doing well. Merry Christmas ! :merrychr: :xmasdance:
 
Oh yes my TKR buddy, Norm and I are doing well so far, however none of us know what tomorrow brings!

I'm glad to hear that Magrat is doing well! I also hope Liam's hand gets better every day.

Get well and stay well my friend! :friends:
 
Hey there, sounds like you are managing to have a relaxing Christmas even with a bug visiting. It's been going around at work too, so it must be a popular one!

Oh, those back to back Christmas movies are something. I enjoy Elf but once is enough. It reminds me of little kids who like to play the same video over and over and over again, lol

Thanks for the Christmas wishes, take care and glad your knee is doing fine. :)
 
Elisea, we can only watch "Elf" once around Christmas. It's too much otherwise. We're definitely trying to relax as much as possible. Coffee :mcoffee: , naps :zzz:, TV movies (sometimes napping during them) :zzz: , spending time with family and friends :friends:, etc. makes things better.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom