TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was my one year anniversary with Magrat. YAY ! ! ! :yahoo: It's hard to believe that a year has gone by. The first few months seemed to last longer, but then time "picked up speed".

We're all getting better (or going to get better for pre-op friends) -- wherever we are in the journey. :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
to you, Becky, and to Magrat!!! Funny about our perception of time--so slow in the beginning and then the next thing you know a year's gone by.


Take care and keep us updated. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
 
Jess & Judy - thanks.

Jess, it won't be long before you have your one year anniversary. Ten months soon. :thumb:

Judy, I really like the butterflies. They're beautiful. :SUNsmile:

I seem to be correcting a lot of typos before posting this -- which is one reason that it's so short. So I think I'll sign off and take a nap. :zzz: Thanks again. :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
I would literally hardly know I had anything done to my knee, now. I was out hiking today. I have to do a double take from time to time to believe what I have been through and how totally successful it has been.

(Read carefully all those about to undergo surgery. It is true.)
 
It IS amazing how so much better it is without the bone-on-bone, and the ability to walk, move around, use stairs, etc. -- even hike again. I haven't been hiking yet, but warm weather is coming soon. :happydance:
 
Today I had my 1-year follow-up appointment with my surgeon. He was pleased, reminded me to take the proper prescription med 1 hour before any dental appointment -- for 2 years after TKR. After that, he doesn't require it. I'm to have my next follow-up appointment (or whatever) in 5 years. I assume that they'll remind me when it gets close enough to make an appointment.

Thoughts and prayers with all those affected by the explosions at the Boston Marathon -- their families and friends. :sorry: Take care, everyone. :friends:
 
Hi over here our dentists say that we do not need any antibiotics before dental work.as it just overloads your body and when you do need antibiotics they may not work,odd how it differs from country to country.Yes thoughts for those in boston now talking about security over here for London marathon and my son in law is running this year in that.
 
My surgeon prefers his patients to have antibiotics before dental surgery, but the government body NICE that controls these things, won't let dentists give them because they are worried about the build up of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. In view of this, he has agreed that "normal" dental work can be done without cover, but for any intensive dental work or extractions, he wants me to have them.
My dentist has put a note on my file to that effect.
 
Happy 1 year anniversary Becky, it was a long road and you made it my friend! Better things are yet to come!

Stay well my friend and enjoy life! :thumb:
 
Becky, happy one year anniversary! Missed it by a few days, glad your check up was all good!
 
Richard, Jess, Jacky, and Janet -- thanks. Last year was a big one for us, and now we're on to better days. I told my surgeon about this group and how much the support of everyone here helps. :cheers: He wrote the name of the forum down to check it out and for referrals to other patients. I'm glad to be here with you, dear friends. :friends: Talk to you later.
 
I have a friend who is having a TKR next week, and I have advised him to come here. The contribution you all made to my recovery was beyond measure.
This forum is a truly wonderful place.
 
Hey Becky
Any new organ solos in honor of your knee?
Last summer we were both on the mend, any plans for this summer?

I want to do some gardening this summer. I missed it last summer; even the weeding. You see, I name the weeds and then pull them up with gusto, very therapeutic. Last year, my lawn service did the weeding, wasn't quite as fulfilling but I did have more time for lying around with my feet up. Or should I say, elevated with ice. :heehee:
 
Elisea, thanks for the laugh and the inspiration. No new organ solos yet, but that's given me an idea about composing something entirely for organ pedals. :loll: It would be a good workout too. :dancy:

As for summer plans, I have 2 workshops (3-day kinds) to attend at Kanuga Conference Center in June. The rest of the summer is still rather open. So we'll see as things progress. How about you? Anything in addition to gardening?

I'm hoping to do a bit of gardening this Spring, Summer, and Autumn. I have some bell pepper seeds and kale seeds germinating (hopefully) as a start. After Mothers Day (May 12th), it's safer to plant other things. Maybe I'll get a couple of bell pepper and kale seedlings to "start things off". I want to plant some zucchini too. It's great to use as zucchini pasta (cut with a spiral slicer). No fuss, no cooking necessary. Cheers to gardening and getting dirty. :flwrysmile: :cheers: Hope that you and all of our friends here have a wonderful weekend -- whatever else is going on.
 
Well, it's been a busy summer so far (June). The workshops went well.

Now that Magrat is mostly behaving, my left ankle has been screaming at me -- particularly the last half of June. Maybe I'll give my left ankle a name. :heehee:

I can't even exercise at the YWCA on the stationary bike anymore. The last time I went my left ankle screamed at me after 15 minutes of biking on the lowest setting -- pausing every once in awhile. -- I paused once in awhile, my left ankle didn't pause from "screaming" once in awhile. :snork: Usually I can "bike" for 30-40 minutes (if the place isn't too busy) and get up to level 4-8 with no problem -- depending on the day.

So my primary physician recommended that I see a a particular orthopedic surgeon who specialized in ankles. He even does total ankle replacements. Soooo, I went to the appointment where they did an x-ray. The results -- no broken bones, which is good. He thinks it's probably just arthritis, and basically recommended having the ankle fused. I said -- and adamantly repeated 2 or 3 times when he persisted -- that I will NOT have my ankle fused. I explained to him (more than once) that I'm a church organist, and a fused ankle is NOT an option.

He said that I'd be able to move my ankle as before -- except bending to the left or right (which organists don't have to do, he says), and that to move the front or back of my foot to the left or right on the organ pedals I'd be doing that like I usually do -- by moving my knee to the left or right. :hairpulling: :yikes: :rolleyes: He doesn't know "diddly-squat" about what is involved in playing the organ pedals ! ! ! Liam and I both told him that we DO INDEED move our ankles in all of those ways that would be eliminated by having my ankle fused. Well, the next thing was to send me for a CT scan, after which I would go back to him for a follow-up appt. The CT scan was on June 24th. The person doing the CT scan told me that the scan won't be detailed enough to show if there is tendon or muscle injury/damage -- that would take an MRI. Over a week later, I've received no call from the surgeon's office about a follow-up appt with this particular orthopedic surgeon. I get the impression that he's "certain" that it's just arthritis, and that I'm too much trouble for him to do a follow-up appt to say the same thing -- FUSE the ankle when I finally decide that he's right.

So we -- Liam and I (for a couple of our continuing physical problems that aren't helped by the usual medical remedies) -- have started with some much older traditional methods -- like acupuncture, Tai Chi for Arthritis, etc. The Tai Chi for Arthritis is going well. We are in a 12-week class for beginners. We also have the DVD for home and for after the class is over. We'll start the acupuncture (once a week for 4 weeks) next week.

If I find that I need to go back to an orthopedic specialist, I'll go to OUR specialist who did both of my surgeries on my right knee, and helped a couple of our friends. Assuming that it's only arthritis :ok: -- "so be it". If the pain gets to be bad enough, I'll have him give me a cortisone shot -- once anyway. After that, I guess I'll "grin and bear it" -- if it comes to that. So we'll see.

The Tai Chi exercises are good -- and gentle for us "seniors" and others with similar problems. :)I'll also go back to mall walking.
 
Hi, Becky,
My OS didn't say I could never kneel again, just that it would take time. And a few days before my LTKR (nearly a year after my RTKR) I was finally able to kneel well enough to get into and out of my tub to take a bubble bath!

I too have weak ankles from years of having sprained them, as well as a left metatarsal stress FX/"cuboid syndrome" (my previous OS said the former, podiatrist the latter); I'm pretty sure they must be arthritic to boot. Have you tried one of those "active ankle" lace-up hinged supports with carbon footplate that fits inside your sneaker and over your sock?
 
Hi, Sandy. I usually use one of those pull-on ankle braces. It works pretty well. However sometimes the pain is above the ankle (without the ankle brace on) -- and not covered by the brace. I also have what they call an "air splint" which I got the last time I was in the ER for x-rays after a serious sprain (RIGHT ankle) -- 2 or 3 years ago. It's heavy with velcro fasteners, and hard to wear any shoes over it. It worked very well for after that particular ankle sprain though. I mainly stayed home with my feet up for awhile. What is the brand name and name of the "active ankle" lace-up hinged supports? I haven't found anything other than the pull-on braces that I can fit a shoe over, and do much walking.

I can finally kneel again too -- as long as I don't stay there for long. It's getting up off of the floor that takes me awhile -- with something stable that at least one foot high that I can use as support to help me get up.

Thanks for the information. It helps to know that someone else has problems with sprained ankles. I imagine there's a few of us with that problem. Now I find myself wondering which "leg" to put down first when going down stairs. Supposedly we put the bad leg down first followed by the good leg. However it feels more stable to put my right (good) leg down first followed by my (bad) left leg/ankle. Otherwise I have to ease the left leg down gently to avoid the shock on my ankle.

It's great that you can get in out of your tub to take a bubble bath. We're still making progress. :thumb:
 
The splint is made by Active Ankle, less cumbersome than the AirCast made by the same company. I bought mine at a running store years ago, but I think it's available on the FootSmart.com site and from its catalog.

I spent so long rehabbing my R knee that I also have to stop & think which knee is the "good" one when descending stairs--I accidentally led with my R knee going down the 3" from kitchen door to deck this evening. Oops!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom