TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Becky, sorry to hear that you're still having shin pain. I found that mine was the result of being on my feet more than my knees liked--which happens often as you begin to feel better and better. I found that elevating and icing and slowing down a bit helped a lot. I hope PT can get you past this in the near future. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
 
Good to see you around, organist. Hope the shin improves.
 
Becky, for some reason, I just found your thread. I so wish I had found it earlier because we could have gotten together in Indy! I was a lay delegate from my state. Actually, I posted in the pre-op section in the early spring because I wanted to schedule my surgery for April 9, but with Convention coming up, my husband didn't want me to risk it. I thought that if I had to run around Indy in one of those scooters for two weeks, regardless, I might as well do it after surgery while recovering as before surgery.

But the Bone Smarties helped to talk me down and it was a good decision. I came back from Indy with my knee all rested up from two weeks of not walking. I met an exhibitor who had had her TKR in January, but after days of standing on that hard floor had to go out and get a cane. She was swelling up.

So, we probably saw each other and didn't realize it. I did use the cart and put off the surgery until July 31. Sorry we didn't connect. By Salt Lake, we will both be walking great, and surgery will be a distant memory :yes!:
 
How are you doing these days, Becky? :)
 
Judy, kneeper, Jess, Cheryl, & Elisea -- thanks for your encouragement and support. I'm sure the shin splint was because I was on my feet way too much during the convention in July. It was interesting though. Physical therapy sessions are going well. The 2 therapists that I see are including massage and ultrasound on the tight leg muscles, along with various exercises. I had to take it easy for a few days last week because it felt like I had taken a "step" backwards with my leg hurting worse. There were NO exercises during PT the next appointment, and it's gotten better since last week. They're working on my weak ankles, with exercises to help everything from my feet to my lower back. A couple of yoga classes ("gentle yoga" and "chair yoga") are helping too.

Jess, Elisea, & Cheryl -- hope that your recovery is going well.

Cheryl, I'm sorry that we didn't connect before the convention too, but glad that we're connected now. We'll definitely be ready before the Salt Lake triennial. :friends: I wanted to wait until after the convention, but my knee said otherwise. I was doing good to make it past Holy Week and Easter Sunday. My dear hubby Liam substituted on the church organ for a couple of months after my surgery. So that was good. I had my cane with me at the convention. I felt like it was good "insurance" that reminded others to avoid "running into" me. That long, wide corridor in the convention center seemed like a pedestrian "interstate highway" with the traffic -- those walking with their small luggage on wheels (to carry their laptops, etc.) pulled either behind or beside them, those stopping in the middle of the corridor to chat, and those scooting around on the scooters. We probably passed each other a lot. :) I'm glad that the cart helped you. I thought briefly about renting a scooter, but I would have been to stressed trying to get in and out of the elevators without hitting someone. I'd have to practice on one of those for a bit first so that I'd feel more comfortable. I DID go back to my room whenever possible to rest. Naps were wonderful. I also skipped a couple of sessions -- when I REALLY needed to lie down with my leg elevated.
 
Becky, good to hear things are working well in PT for you and you're doing yoga---I need to look into that myself. Maybe you'll come out almost a new woman.

Keep up the good work---update us once in a while---we miss hearing from you.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
 
Thanks, Judy. The yoga classes are wonderful. For the "gentle yoga" class, I'm still using a chair rather than getting on the floor and using a mat.

I haven't tried kneeling yet. I'm assuming that it might be better to wait to try kneeling until after I get rid of the shin splint. I'll ask the PT person though. I'm wondering how long others have waited post-TKR before attempting to kneel (getting on the floor and being able to get off of the floor without it hurting). :what:

Oh, yes. This morning after exercising at the YWCA in the gym and going to the “gentle yoga” class, we had our blood pressure checked in the lobby. They have someone there in the morning occasionally. Liam had his checked first while I sat in another chair yawning. :yawn: I was yawning during the yoga class too. :yawn: It must have been “extra gentle” yoga today. After taking my blood pressure, the volunteer said “This is ridiculous. I know people who would fight to have blood pressure this low.” My blood pressure was 104/74. I must have been more relaxed than usual. :yawn: After we left, we went to a locally-owned restaurant (Rise-n-Shine), and had brunch – with coffee. :mcoffee: At least I’m not yawning now.
 
Hi Becky! That gentle yoga sounds interesting, especially if done in a chair. I think I'll look for something like that here. I haven't had shin splints in decades, but they are awful! Hope it clears up soon!
 
I did yoga about 20 odd years ago and really enjoyed it. I ll have to look into the .'chair' option as I can't imagine id be able to sit cross legged on the floor now..or ever again!
 
Hi, Nancy. I really enjoy the chair yoga. I'm looking forward to being able to sit on the floor and get back up again without my knee screaming at me. I just don't think it's ready to try yet. It's been soooo long since I've tried kneeling, and the last time (even with cushions at the altar rail in church during the Eucharist) was very uncomfortable. I think I'll probably first try it in church when I "get up the nerve" to do so. I'll be sure to post the results.
 
Hi Becky, I tried the kneeling thing a couple of weeks ago, but it was on my memory foam mattress not the floor. I haven't kneeled pre-op for I'd say a good 8 yrs on the floor or any soft surface, so I was really anxious to try it. I tried again yesterday to see if it got better and it did a little, however I must say it was nothing in pain like before my new knees. That WAS PAIN! In mid October when I go see my OS again he said he'll show me how to get on my knees, so I kook forward to learning more. I always wondered when going to church, why some people were not kneeling at the proper time, then it was my turn! Wonder No More!!!!

Have a safe trip and lots of fun!:happydance:
 
Thanks, Jackie. I'm going to physical therapy this morning. So I'll ask her about kneeling. The trip to the ECW (Episcopal Church Women) triennial in Salt Lake City will be in 2015. I'll definitely be going by plane on that one. Liam and I drove to the one in Indianapolis, and he stayed with his sister who lives there while I was at the convention. He came to the hotel 2 separate evenings to "rescue" us 3 delegates, and took us to dinner. It was nice to get away from the hotel and convention for a break.

Have a wonderful day.
 
The two steps forward, and one step back is soooo true. Even now – at almost 5 months – I’m still recovering from the shin splint. My ROM was decreased because of the shin splint, but it’s gradually improving yet again. It’s interesting how much my right knee (before, during, and after surgery) has affected (and continues to affect) my whole right leg from my foot to my hip, and also has affected my left leg in compensating for the right knee My knee (and leg) definitely lets me know when I need to “back off” and sometimes do NO exercises for 2-3 (or more) days. Weekends are a good time for me to take it easier on the exercises, is I need to do so. The shin splint IS getting better though. :yay:

Enjoying a nice cup of coffee with "German chocolate cake" sugar-free syrup in it. YUM ! :mcoffee:
 
Becky so sorry to hear that that darn shin splint pain is still hanging on.:console2: Yes backing off of the exercise sounds like a great idea.

You know what else sounds like a great idea?, that wonderful "German chocolate cake"! That should really help that recovery process!:thumb:

Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
Thanks, Jacky. The "German chocolate cake" syrup in the coffee is definitely a wonderful thing. :mcoffee:. How are you doing with your recovery? Are Minnie and Mickey behaving?

Hope that you have a wonderful weekend. We're having a rummage / bake sale at our church tomorrow. I've baked 6 loaves of what I call "Burrow Bread" -- with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, whole wheat flour, regular flour, flax seed meal, brown sugar, etc. in it. It's healthier and yummy. It makes the house smell wonderful too. :thumb:
 
The two steps forward, and one step back is soooo true. Even now – at almost 5 months – I’m still recovering from the shin splint. My ROM was decreased because of the shin splint, but it’s gradually improving yet again. It’s interesting how much my right knee (before, during, and after surgery) has affected (and continues to affect) my whole right leg from my foot to my hip, and also has affected my left leg in compensating for the right knee My knee (and leg) definitely lets me know when I need to “back off” and sometimes do NO exercises for 2-3 (or more) days. Weekends are a good time for me to take it easier on the exercises, is I need to do so. The shin splint IS getting better though. :yay:

Enjoying a nice cup of coffee with "German chocolate cake" sugar-free syrup in it. YUM ! :mcoffee:

Glad to hear the shin pain is improving, Becky.
I have quite a lot of pain in my "good leg" too. The physio thinks that it is a tight hamstring because I was walking so badly before the operation. I suspect that I won't be completely pain free until both legs are working, and walking, normally.
Anyway, things are improving, and I even managed a short walk around the shops in town today.
I am able to "stride" properly, now in a forward motion, and not just totter from side to side as I did before the op.
 
I haven't knelt in years, either. (No liturgical reasons--we Reform Jews don't kneel, though some of us do a standing partial knee bend and then tiptoe-stand briefly on the "Aleinu" adoration prayer. Good thing I'm not ultra-Orthodox: some of them actually prostrate themselves during certain prayers). About 14 years ago I had lawn seats at a rock concert and was mortified to have to have four teenage boys lift me to my feet in order to get up off the ground. Ever since then I haven't even attempted to kneel except when finding myself unavoidably having to sit or lie on or near the floor (darned air mattresses)!

I too have had a long-term shin-splint, ever since my open-reduction/internal-fixation surgery for my shattered tibial plateau back in 1996. The hardware (except the top 4 screws recently removed for my RTKR) remains in there permanently. I feel it whenever descending stairs with my left foot; and the soft tissue over the hardware gets irritated easily, twitching painfully and/or contributing to lower leg swelling. No way that hardware can ever be removed--the underlying bone matrix would collapse. I know I will never attempt to wear high heels, which would--like running on tiptoe--be shin splints waiting to happen.
 
Ok, my goodness, Organist, between baking super delicious and scrumptious food and quilling, you are keeping very busy. And you are making me hungry! :)
 
Jess, the tight leg muscles seem to be a common problem in recuperating. The PT staff and I have been working on that -- but not to the point of pain. Glad that you are improving too. We're all getting there slowly.:thumb:

D. Diva, I've never been able to wear high heel shoes -- and don't buy shoes if they have more than the basic heel that you'd find on men's shoes. My feet complain to the max -- PAIN. Hope that your shin splint gets better too. :flwrysmile:

Elisea, actually I've been doing more baking than quilling lately, but maybe I'll get back to quilling soon -- in preparation for our church's Autumn Bazaar the first Saturday in November. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom