TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you now, Becky? I have weak ankles too, although luckily they don't hurt at all. Hope you are doing better now.
 
Hello, Jess. It's been way too long since I've posted. We're plugging along -- it's been too hectic lately.

As for my ankle, I went back for a follow-up appt with the OS who talked about ankle fusion as a probability. After looking at the test results, he said that my ankle looks good - no arthritis. The flexing part in the back is fine. The problem, he thinks, is that there's "debris" (little bits of bone) in the "gutter" areas that's causing the problems. So he suggested a cortisone shot. If that helps, great. If it doesn't, we'll see about the next step for finding out what's going on. I had the visit and the shot on Monday. So far my ankle feels much better. So we'll see how long this lasts. It's great to be able to walk around without my left ankle "screaming" at me.

On a much more serious thread -- my sister Jeannette, who has been fighting cancer (started as colon cancer), was told a few months ago that nothing was working and that she maybe had a year. A couple of weeks ago she asked that we all (siblings and children) gather at her home in South Carolina to talk about "stuff". We met last Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately our other sister Melinda had been in the hospital (the lower end of the state of South Carolina) since 2 Friday's ago (the usual problems with COPD, fluid retention, etc.). So at the time of our gathering last Friday, she was in a rehab section of a nursing home (20 days recommended) to get her strength back. Melinda's son Karl and his wife came for the gathering. It was a good visit, and we had good discussions -- including plans. Jeannette had already made arrangements with the funeral home and her minister a couple of months ago. Liam and I came back home last Friday evening. Then early Saturday morning, we got a call from Mari (Jeannette's daughter) that Jeannette had gone into cardiac arrest. EMS was called but couldn't get a pulse. Jeannette's son Gregg was with Mari at the house and at the hospital. She was "pronounced" at the hospital. So we went back down Saturday morning and stayed until Sunday evening. We're having a memorial service at her church this Saturday. So we'll be heading down again tomorrow (Friday) and coming back on Saturday evening so that we won't miss playing for the Sunday service 2 weeks in a row. Melinda won't be able to come. So we're going to make tentative plans for a short memorial service at the "family church" where they and a lot of our relatives live -- later. Please keep us in your prayers, etc.

Oh, and Magrat is doing fine. It's nice to have Magrat AND my left ankle doing fine at the same time. It's a welcome change. We've also started taking "Tai Chi for Arthritis". It's a good addition to our routine.

Thanks again for posting, Jess. Talk to y'all later. :friends:
 
Oh, this has to be so hard. My thoughts are with you and your family.
 
Thank you, kneeper.:friends: I just finished putting some Scotch eggs in the oven -- something easy to take for the "family table" for the next couple of days. Baking Scotch eggs is much easier and healthier than deep frying them -- and they still taste wonderful. I had thought about baking some bread too, but I think I've run out of energy now. So I'm going to relax for awhile. It is definitely hard to balance "organizing" to help make things easier for everyone, and taking care of one-self at the same time. Of course, the same balancing act is going on with the others in the family. I think our plan for Thanksgiving and Christmas is going to be similar to what we did the year our parents died (1999) -- sandwiches, cookies, salads, etc. -- so that we can relax, tell stories, laugh, cry, and just share and enjoy being together. Maybe it's time for a cup of coffee. :mcoffee:

Hope that you are doing well. Talk to you later.
 
Dear Becky,
i am so sad to hear the news about your sister, it must be very hard for you and for her family. I will remember you all in my prayers.
So glad to hear that the ankle is getting better.
 
Thanks, Jess. The thoughts and prayers of all of you definitely help -- particularly in the next few weeks. It's about time to go to bed now, although I think I'll need to sit and read a bit of a book that I enjoy and have read several times to help "slow down my brain". That helps sometimes because I know what's going to happen in the book and can put it down as soon as I get sleepy. :yawn:
 
:reading::bath::flwrysmile::friends::dancy:It's hard to believe that it's been 2 years and 2 months (as of the 10th of June next week) since I had RTKR. Magrat is doing fine with an occasional minor "zap' (twinge) to remind me that she's still there. It is SOOOO much better with the new knee. Occasionally I'll get on the floor to get something or to kneel for communion at church. I still don't do exercises on the floor, but it's easier to do now than it was even a year ago. Of course it's helped to do some strengthening exercises -- upper thighs, etc. Liam and I have now become members of Asheville Racquet Club -- bigger variety of equipment, assistance in figuring out the equipment as you "get used to" the setup, etc. Also it's covered by our health insurance as "Silver Sneakers" (65+).

Anyway - thanks, Jacky, for your update which reminded me that we were recuperating during the same time and that it had been way too long since I'd been online with an update. Thanks, also, to our wonderful moderators and all of you for your support, encouragement, tips, suggestions, "listening", etc. for each other. It helps so much before, during, and after surgery -- through the whole journey and beyond.

Talk to you later. Have a wonderful week.
Becky
 
Hi Becky! Congrats on your recent two year mark! My own yesterday has me poking around checking on some of those there along with me on this journey two years ago. I'm glad to hear you are doing pretty well! It's been quite a couple of years!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thank you, Sandy. :friends:
So lovely to hear how well you are doing, Becky. Me too, I almost forget I have had my knee replaced sometimes. Just sometimes when I have to kneel down, or walk down a flight of stairs, and I am getting better all the time at that. I think it is more a matter of confidence than physical ability!
I must just agree with you about how brilliant the BoneSmart Forum was in those dark days just before and just after the operation.
The support we received here was beyond compare, and provided, comfort and support that wasn't available elsewhere.
I just wanted to send my love, and to wish you all love and success in the future.
 
Janet and Jessie, good to see you both again, and great to be around the 2 year mark past our TKR's. Getting confidence back - re kneeling, getting up from a low chair, car, etc. - is still a "journey in progress" at times. I do better if I don't even think about it and just get up. Getting back to the gym and using the strength equipment (now that I know how to do each one) will help. Glad that we made our journey together. :friends::flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom