TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glitch in the routine – Going to the OB-GYN this morning – my annual appt. moved up 3 weeks due to a “hopefully minor” problem. I’ll have an ultrasound first, then the appt. Possibly a biopsy, hopefully not. Prayers, positive thoughts, candles, etc. much appreciated. Will update when we know something – probably not today.
Also prayers for my sisters, Melinda and Jeannette -- Jeannette is going through chemo treatments for colon cancer. Melinda is having a colon test today. Prayers, positive thoughts, candles, etc. for the 3 of us and our family. The waiting for results is definitely "trying" on the patience and the nerves -- and going through the "ups and downs" of chemo treatment is challenging (to say the least). Also prayers, positive thoughts, candles, etc. for all those we know who are going through medical problems -- short-term or chronic. :gaah:
 
Becky, prayers and positive thoughts for you and your sisters. Always hard waiting for results and hope they are good ones.
 
I hope all turns out well for you Becky, and sending positive thoughts and prayers for you and your sisters.
 
I haven't tried kneeling yet, at six weeks out it seems too soon to me.
However, I can really feel an improvement now. Our youngest daughter and her husband are both musicians, and last night played a most beautiful brass concert with an ensemble and organ, in the spectacular surroundings of Ely Cathederal in Cambridgeshire.
It is about an hour and a half drive from where we live.
We drove up, I walked from the car park to the cathederal, watched the concert, and marvelled, for an hour or so, walked back to the car, and drove back to their village. Then we had a meal in the pub, just a small meal for me, because my appetite hasn't quite returned just yet.
We stayed with them overnight, although I slept on the sofa, while my husband slept on a futon, because I was worried I wouldn't be able to get up, as it is very low.
This afternoon my daughter and myself walked for about three quarters of a mile along a bridleway, a lot of which was uphill and looked out across the surrounding countryside.
No crutches, no stick, nothing.
I was so pleased with myself I could have burst.
We are home now, and the knee felt a bit hot, so I have been icing, but I am on hardly any painkillers now, and I feel I am making real progress.
I see the physio on Thursday.
 
Debbie, Janet, & Jess -- thank you all for your positive thoughts and prayers.

Melinda hasn't heard anything from her colon test yet -- hopefully next week. Jeannette is "hanging in there" with her treatments.

As for my GYN problem, it's "on hold" at this time. The ultrasound and the appointment on Monday showed no problem. My doctor has no idea what's causing it, but said that whatever it is -- is not serious, so don't worry about it. She told me to let her know if I'm still having this problem in 3 months. I'll be seeing her for my annual pap smear in the near future anyway -- way before 3 months. Meanwhile, we have healing prayers at our church (Episcopal) for individuals, which are important for us -- which we have taken part in whenever we or family members need prayers.

Anyway, my GYN doctor said to wait a week before using a tampon (after there's more spotting) because I'll be spotting because of the exam she did that day. After that, the tampon "test" will tell if the bleeding is coming from the uterus (or where in the uterus) or somewhere else totally. MEANWHILE, the bleeding from her "mucking around" (her words) stopped after 24 hours, and I haven't had ANY spotting since then. I also no longer feel as if I'm having menstrual cramps most of the time. That stopped at the same time. That's fine with me, since she said that nothing serious is going on. If it starts up again, I'll be sure to try the "tampon test", and let her know the results.

Oh, yes. Magrat is doing better. Physical therapy is helping. They're aiming to improve everything that was affected -- both legs, ankles, lower back, etc. -- and improve strength. Going up and down stairs is getting easier -- walking more normally, but the right leg still doesn't have the strength going up the stairs as the left leg. It also depends on the stairs and how steep they are. I'm looking forward to the time that I suddenly realize that I'm not thinking about going up the stairs. No problem going down stairs though.

Five (5) months post-op now ! ! ! :yay::egypdance: :bicycle1: (me on stationary bike). Maybe I'll start moving my arms back and forth when on the stationary bike. :heehee:
 
Are there plans to move from a stationary bike to a real one? :)
 
Elisea, NO plans for using a real bike. We live in the mountains of Western North Carolina -- too many steep hills, curves, etc. Liam's sister calls them "twisty, turny, climby, divey" roads. A lot of people enjoy biking on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Other bikers have told us that there is NO WAY they would try riding their bicycles on the parkway. Too many "close calls", accidents, etc. :bicycle2: -- the twisty, turny, climby, divey roads combined with people in cars, trucks, vans, etc. that aren't careful -- either looking at the scenery or in a hurry or ... We enjoy driving on the parkway, but respect the people on bicycles. It's there for them to enjoy too.

Anyway, on the stationary bike, I've started adding resistance -- a bit at a time. So that helps.

Hope that you have a relaxing Sunday.
 
My husband and I have talked about riding our motorcycles on part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I think it would be a beautiful ride. I have never been to North Carolina, but I would like to go.
 
Motorcycle Meemaw, DO let us know when you recuperate from your surgery and head our way on your motorcycles. We could at least get together for lunch or whatever when you reach Asheville. Where do you live? :friends:
 
Well, I've "graduated" from PT again. My shin splint is gone, and I'm doing better with everything.
 
No more shin splints, yeah!!
Good to hear you are doing well Becky!
 
Thanks, Elisea.

Update on OB-GYN visit. They still don't know what's going on. I have my annual visit a week from Friday (28th), and the Friday after that (Oct. 5th) I'm having a hysteroscopy (Sp.?) & D&C (7:30 am). We have to be there at 6 am. :zzz: Our usual plan after surgeries like that (out-patient) is to go out for brunch afterwards -- even though the one having whatever surgery is still loopy. I'll get some coffee then. :mcoffee: .

On the brighter side -- we're going to the LowCountry of South Carolina this weekend for the annual Bishop family reunion. My mother's mother was one of 9 of the Bishop children of that generation. So there's lots and lots of Bishop descendants thither and yon. A cousin (4th cousin) contacted me by email the other day about our family's genealogy, etc. (a different branch of the family). He was born in the LowCountry of South Carolina, but has lived in England since the 1990's. Families have a way of becoming "far-flung". It'll be a wonderful time to reconnect with cousins. :friends::)
 
Becky, I hope your procedure goes well and puts to rest any concerns. I went through the same thing last fall. Always something!
 
Thanks, Janet. This morning is my annual pap smear appt AND pre-op visit -- all "rolled into one" -- 2 hours from now. It helps to know that you and others have "been there". Any suggestions about recovery time will be much appreciated. Since they "gas you up", I'm wondering if I should walk around the house as much as possible (to help get rid of the gas and cramping) :dancy: -- or snooze :zzz: -- maybe a cup of coffee :mcoffee: now and then with some "German Chocolate Cake" sugar-free syrup in it. :heehee:

The family reunion last weekend went wonderfully. It was so good to re-connect with many of our cousins (1st, 2nd, 1st and 2nd once removed, etc.). There was WAY too much food, of course. I think there were 5 bowls of rice (a LowCountry South Carolina thing) of various kinds (plain, red rice, rice with meat (sausage, chicken, ...) and/or veggies (like beans). The upper part of South Carolina is more "into" potatoes as a staple in their diet, but in the lower part of the state (Charleston and that general area) rice is a staple. Of course, there were plenty of veggies and desserts -- and a couple of salads here and there. I fixed some Hobbit Bread (sesame seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seed meal, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, etc.). It's healthier and tastes yummy. My great aunt Ruth "confiscated" the remainder of the loaf for her family -- they hosted the reunion. Actually I asked her if she'd like the rest of the loaf, and she replied, "Of course." :)

Hope that you all have a wonderful Friday.
 
Becky, I often get sick from the anesthesia, but for this, they did a good job of keeping that at bay. Even so, I probably went home and took a nap afterwards rather than going out to lunch, but if you are up for it, all the better. I don't remember needing to walk around or expelling gas, so if I did it wasn't memorable. I think I had some bleeding, but mine didn't last beyond the same day. All in all it wasn't a big deal.

Your family reunion sounded really nice. I wish I had a bigger family to have reunions with!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom