TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel I may well have problems here with stairs. We have a reasonably large, mock Tudor, 4 bedroomed semi-detached house, but it was built in 1934, so there is only one toilet and that is upstairs.
I intend to base myself upstairs at first when I come home, I will have to get up there once, on hands and knees if necessary, so I am handy for the toilet and bathroom. I will have a radio, the TV, the laptop, and an enormous stack of reading material, but that will only be for a few days when I will have to emerge downstairs, somehow.
The hospital will be providing a temporary toilet for downstairs so I will only have to go upstairs once a day to go to bed.
Of course if I can't get up the stairs at all I will have to sleep on the sofa, but that is a bit low, so is not ideal.
I think really we will have to just play it by ear.
An occupational therapist is coming round to do an assessment while I am actually in hospital, and to provide any aids I will need.

I am looking forward to the November forum gathering I am going to, it will involve visiting an exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum, but I hope to be walking well enough for that by November.

Morning Glory!:happydance:Forgetting your cane is wonderful news. You are starting to forget you were ever disabled.
Brilliant.
 
Jessie, is there a possibility for you to go to a rehab facility for a week after you get out of the hospital? That would help in getting around better before you go home. Some go straight home and do fine. I decided to take advantage of the rehab center -- which our insurance covered. That way, I had physical therapy every day -- during the week -- and could practice on steps the last couple of days. Doing the stairs should be OK though. The routine is "good leg up, bad leg down" -- as to which leg goes up or down first. I still do that when my leg is tired or the steps are steep. I also did that at a restaurant while at the convention. They had 2 sets of stairs DOWN to where our group was gathering for a meal. So I did the "good leg up, bad leg down" routine. It was slower than everyone else, but I brought up the rear anyway.

Glad that they are going to provide any aids that you'll need when you get back home. :thumb: It will definitely be more comfortable sleeping in your own bed. A supply of chocolate helps too.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
 
Unfortunately they don't seem to do the rehab scheme here, or not on the NHS anyway, unfortunately. I haven't been able to walk upstairs properly for over ten years now, so I am hoping my stair climbing abilities won't be that much worse than usual?
Chocolate sounds a good idea.
When I was little if I was ill my mum always made me macaroni milk pudding. This is still my ultimate comfort food, so I bought three tins, so my husband can bring it to me when I feel miserable.:umm:
 
Hi ladies!
YES, chocolate makes everything better!
Comfort food, especially from childhood, too!
 
Jessie & Nyland, a good supply of chocolate (and other personal comfort foods) are good to get ahead of time.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
Nutella is another one that we like.

Jessie, you can do most of the exercises at home -- whatever exercises they show you, and ones you can find here -- from beginning to more advanced. I think you'll do fine with the stair climbing. Like you say, it has been bad before the surgery. The pain and uncomfortable-ness after the surgery is better, particularly in knowing (and reminding ourselves) that we and our knees/legs are getting better as we recuperate.

I have just gotten a year’s membership at the YWCA where my hubby goes for exercise with the “Silver Sneakers” program – provided free by various insurance companies to help us older folk become and stay healthier. I’ll be eligible in a little less than 2 years when I turn 65. It will help to be able to use a stationary bike instead of mall walking – taking the pressure of my weight off of my legs. :bicycle1: --- well, I won't be standing up like this, but the bike IS stationary. :heehee:

Unfortunately, I think I might have developed a shin splint on the leg right below Magrat – from all of those long days walking on hard surfaces at the 2-week convention. Of course, since this is the weekend, I’ll call the OS’s office on Monday to ask about it. According to what I’ve read (online search), icing more and resting seems to be "the thing to do". I guess that I won’t be mall-walking for awhile. I can still go over and have coffee and conversation with the mall-walkers group. My leg is swollen below the knee. Liam thinks it looks like I have 2 knees. I’ll let y’all know what the doctor says. Meanwhile – ice, elevate, rest – more than usual. I’m thinking that if someone is planning on a trip with a LOT of walking – even 3 months out – it might be good to use a motorized scooter part of the time. There was another delegate (from another state) who rented one for the convention after the first 2 days of walking. She’s 6-months post-op from her TKR. Unfortunately I figured that I’d be OK as long as I elevated my leg whenever sitting (which was most of the time), took naps (even short ones) whenever possible (even just relaxing on the bed for 15 minutes between meetings), and took my time getting places. I was wrong. :gaah:
 
Oh, Becky, I'm so sorry about the shin splint. That sounds like it really hurts. Does ice and maybe some compression help your shin feel better? Please feel better, my friend. I care.
 
Nyland and Jersey Chick -- thanks. Hopefully the icing, elevating, and resting will help.

Jersey Chick, I'll try some of the exercise too. However, the "do it until it burns like hell" sounds counter-productive to what everyone tells us here. Have you tried this exercise? Did it help you? Thanks again for the link. I'll work on "easing into" doing it, but not until it's painful -- and let y'all know how it's going.
 
Hi Becky,
I guess this is part of the ups and downs we hear about. Why do they always seem to happen on a weekend!? Hope icing & elevating is helping and you're feeling better.
 
Hi Becky, sorry to hear about your added pain, not fair!!! :console2: I don't like the sound of having your leg look like you have 2 knees though! I hope you let the doc know that part of it as well as the shin splints. I've been known to get shin splints as well and usually it was a good sign, if there is one, that I needed to replace my walking shoes. Try and have a good day and please let us know what the doc says tomorrow.
 
Dear Becky, do hope that the resting and icing has helped already, because you were doing so well. Let us know what the OS says when you see him tomorrow. Thinking of you!
 
Hi Becky, I guess I have done a little too much and my knee hasn't been happy the last few days. I have been icing and elevating and taking a small amt of pain medicine. I had been off the meds for about two weeks! But mine sounds like a little ouch compared to yours. At three months I thought we could do pretty much anything that didn't hurt! Nope! Awhile to go yet. Please let us know what the doctor says!
 
Morning Glory, Jacky, Jessie & Patti -- thanks. It does seem like these things always get worse when it’s the weekend. :bicycle2: The icing and elevating has helped a bit, but I’ll still call the OS tomorrow.

We’ve reminded about the “ups and downs” of recovery, but when we’re doing something “a ways out” from surgery and it doesn’t seem to hurt, the tendency is to think that we’ll be OK. It’s a day or 2 afterwards that the knee – or in this case, the shin – starts complaining louder and louder. The swelling has gone down a bit. It’s still swollen, but not like I have 2 knees.

Patti, you’re right. I guess that “3 months out” is still a bit too early to think that we can do whatever we want and not think about the possibility of overdoing it. Like you said, we have awhile to go yet. It’s getting better though. Yet more time to practice patience, and remind ourselves of the progress in recovery -- whether small or large. :friends: Thanks to all of you for your friendship and encouragement. :thankyou: We're getting better together. :cheers:
 
It is hard to sit still when you start feeling good. I was out all day yesterday and did a lot of walking - well a lot for me. We were going to stop at one more store after we stopped for dinner but I was already afraid I had done too much so we'll save that for next time. I was a little nervous last night, made sure I iced and elevated and I did ok. We went out again today but even though nothing really hurt but my legs and back felt so tired I decided it was best to take it easy. My right knee is almost 6 months now but I have to remember the left is only 8 weeks. I try to remember what I read here so I don't make the same mistakes.
It is easier getting better when you have a place to go where people understand. :friends:
 
I called the OS Monday morning. His nurse said that she’d talk to him and call back later. It’s sometimes after 6 pm before they return calls at the end of the day. Tuesday I didn’t call back because that’s when my OS schedules all of his surgeries. Sooo, Wednesday morning I called back. His nurse said that they had called in a prescription for a 6-day pack of Prednisone for me, and called to let me know. I told her that I had NOT gotten a call. She said that they left a message. I told her that we had NO messages on the phone. At that point, she apologized, and said that the person who was supposed to call must have forgotten. Since it was mid-afternoon when I had time to go to the store, I started the 1st day’s dosages this morning. The nurse told me that if it’s not better by next week to give them a call. Usually they’re “on the ball” about calling people back. So I’m not upset with them. I’ve been taking it easier – no mall walking, and using the stationary bike twice this week. So my weight isn’t adding to the exercise.:bicycle1: (think of this as a stationary bike, and I'm not jumping up and down or going as fast. :whistle:
 
Morning Glory, it DEFINITELY helps to have everybody here who understands. :friends: The reminders to "not overdo" things comes in handy too.:whistle:
 
Four (4) months post-op -- It’s hard to believe that it’s been 4 months since I received my new right knee (Magrat). I still have the shin splint below Magrat, but I’m walking more normally – just not for long periods of time. Stairs are feeling easier, but I still take it easy while going up or down stairs.

The Prednisone which my OS prescribed for the shin splint did NOT help at all. So last week he sent me an Rx for another round of physical therapy, including the following items on the Rx: relieve pain, reduce muscle spasm, increase ROM., increase strength, heat & cold therapy, therapeutic exercise (HEP), electrotherapy (iontophoresis & photophoresis) — 2-3 times a week for 60 days.:shrug: My first appointment is tomorrow morning. However I’m able to walk fine – just not for long periods of time. At the Y (YWCA) I do the stationary bike, :bicycle1: (minus the standing on the bike), some of the upper body exercise machines, and the classes (mostly sitting, but standing occasionally) with no problem. I’ll ask the PT person about that tomorrow morning though. I’m thinking that since I’ll be going to PT 2-3 times a week for 2 months – that will be mostly what I do for exercise. :thud:
 
Yes Becky, I think your PT time will be enough especially where your shin splint is concerned! Whenever I had them they did take their time to heal. I hope you have good cushion in your walking shoes. Every time I got shin splints I knew it was time to change my walking shoes. I hope all goes well with your PT. Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
Thanks, Jacky. PT (the beginning evaluation w/some massage of tight leg muscles, and some exercises went well. I'll be going twice a week - with exercises to do at home. I'll probably be getting a new pair of shoes in a couple of months. I have a good pair that I wear most of the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom