Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that I've been off-line for the past 2 weeks. We were in Indianapolis, Indiana, and all I had was my android phone which let me do nothing without a lot of hassle.

We’re finally back from Indianapolis where we’ve been since Monday, July 2nd. We drove back yesterday. I was one of the delegates for the ECW (Episcopal Church Women) in the Diocese of Western North Carolina at the ECW Triennial Convention in Indianapolis. It was held at the same time and place (the Indianapolis Convention Center) as the National Episcopal Convention. The convention didn’t start until that Wednesday, but we drove up early and settled in with Liam’s sister and niece – where he stayed for the “almost” 2 weeks. He took me to the hotel and convention center on Wednesday afternoon (4th) and picked me up on Thursday morning (12th). We came back home on Friday (yesterday).

The convention was wonderful, but VERY tiring. The delegates for both conventions, delegates for the “house of deputies”, bishops, and guests (speakers, etc.) stayed at the 4 hotels connected by skywalks to the convention center. That meant a LOT of walking every day – with meetings, workshops, and daily morning worship services (& Eucharist). The events were held in 3 of the 4 hotels with the registration and exhibit hall in the convention center. The “house of bishops” and the “house of deputies” met in different parts of the convention center. We could sit in on their meetings during free time, if we so wished and had the energy to make the trek. Since it was hot (top temperature was 105º F one day), I stayed inside most of the time, using the enclosed skywalks to go wherever. The skywalks came in very handy – avoiding the heat outside and the traffic.

I DID use my cane when I went ANYWHERE because of the increasing energy drain of long meetings and the long walks between most events. Walking down the immense hall of the convention center to get to one of the other hotels was often like trying to merge into traffic on the interstate. Representatives from the USA and other countries were going in different directions, many of whom were pulling their small carry-on luggage (with all of their papers, laptops, etc.) behind or to the side of them. Those who needed motorized vehicles could rent them for the duration of the convention. One of our delegates tripped on someone’s small carry-on bag which was trailing behind him. She didn’t see it, and ended up on the floor with a bruise on her face. Other than that and being sore, she’s OK — but it was a “mad house” going through the convention center hall. I stayed on the far right as much as possible while weaving through small bunches of people (3+) who occasionally found each other (even in the middle of the foot traffic) and were having short conversations to “catch up” or “make plans” or whatever.

All-in-all, it was very interesting – my first time going to Triennial. I’d recommend it to any interested member of the Episcopal Church – just take naps whenever possible. The people are wonderful, and the Eucharistic services are awesome. Each service features a different culture/country (language, music, etc.) with English on the left side of the pages of the booklet and the other language on the right side of the page. The parts of the service were spoken by the leaders alternating languages between Scripture readings and sometimes from one paragraph to another. The Lord’s Prayer was spoken and prayed in each person’s native language – at the same time. One day the featured country’s language was sung, so we were able to hear the last part of their prayer after the rest of us finished (in English, Spanish, etc.). The convention was definitely tiring, but definitely worth being a delegate.
 
Hi Becky,
Welcome home. I'm so glad that you managed the crowds of people with the wheeling luggage unscathed. Sounds like an awful lot of walking. You should feel great accomplishment! I'm glad that you had such a fruitful, rewarding experience. Congratulations on being a delegate and for being able to do all that walking. Now rest and elevate my friend. Take care.
 
So glad to see you back! I have been thinking about you and lost all your contact info! Even my phone died and the sims card with it! I am starting from scratch with all my contacts! It sounds like you had a great uplifting time. And to be able to walk! Thank you Lord! I am also continuing to improve. I do a little too much and have stiffness and soreness for a day or two but I have had a few times when I forgot about my knee! YAY! I went in the ocean and how wonderful that was! I waited on a day when the waves were calm. That is one of those times I was a little sore afterward but soooo worth it. Take care!
 
Nyland and Patti -- thanks. It was DEFINITELY too much walking. There were quite a few others there who had TKR at various times in the past few years. Since I elevated my leg on an extra chair during all of the meetings, wore capri pants and skirts -- and massaged Magrat often due to soreness -- it was obvious that I am recovering, particularly to those on the other side like us. They were very encouraging about everything, including getting my energy back to normal. I will also definitely be elevating and resting more for a few days. Today I slept late and then took a nap this afternoon. I feel like I've gone through jet lag, even though the "jet" was a Saturn. I tested it out before we decided to take it -- to make sure that I could get in and out of the car with its lower seats. While at the hotel, I went to their gym on several late evenings to use the stationary bike. Magrat was fine with that too. :tada:

Patti, sorry about your phone and the sims card. I'll give you a call in the next couple of days -- when I catch up on sleeping. Good night. :sleep:
 
Hi! Been wondering where you were. I'm glad you got to go and had such a good time! :yay:
I don't know how well I'd handle all that walking, I'd have to take some breaks along the way I'm sure.
 
Morning Glory, thanks. I might need to get a laptop sometime in the future -- something with a big enough screen and the capability to communicate more than just reading and responding to a few lines of text.

At the beginning of June when we went to a 3-day ECW gathering for the Southeast at Kanuga Conference Center (Hendersonville, NC), the workshop leader told us (the delegates) that the schedule at the convention would be PACKED, and (as she put it) -- "You need to pace yourself. If you need to take a break, go back to your room, and watch 'Wheel of Fortune' or 'Guiding Light', then do so." I took several breaks, skipped a couple of things when I needed to do so, and took naps. The quiet in my room was wonderful. The cumulative effect of all of the walking, meetings, etc. still made it rough the last few days -- energy-wise and Magrat complaining. I sat down on benches here and there in the long corridor of the convention center when I needed to take a break for a couple of minutes.

One morning I took a 15-minute break before going to the worship service. It ended up being a 30-minute nap, but I got there in time to find a seat in the back of the room for the beginning of the service. They provided a lot of "gathering music" before the services to cover the time needed for all of the attendees to make it through all of the corridors, and go up/down the various escalators connecting the skywalks, and the escalator up to the 3rd floor for the worship service. Whenever I got off of an escalator, I moved to the right side in the "slower lane" to allow all of the faster folk to go as fast as they could. People were considerate though. They usually held the door open for me (cane in hand), and didn't rush me in the corridors.

The past couple of days I've been trying to remember the scene in one of the "Harry Potter" movies that reminded me of the traffic through the convention corridor. It's finally "come to me" -- the scene in the 7th movie (of 8) in which Harry, Ron, and Hermione enter the main corridor in the Ministry of Magic building -- except that people weren't appearing out of nowhere from side entrances, and there weren't pieces of mail flying through the air.
 
Morning Glory, thanks. I might need to get a laptop sometime in the future -- something with a big enough screen and the capability to communicate more than just reading and responding to a few lines of text.

At the beginning of June when we went to a 3-day ECW gathering for the Southeast at Kanuga Conference Center (Hendersonville, NC), the workshop leader told us (the delegates) that the schedule at the convention would be PACKED, and (as she put it) -- "You need to pace yourself. If you need to take a break, go back to your room, and watch 'Wheel of Fortune' or 'Guiding Light', then do so." I took several breaks, skipped a couple of things when I needed to do so, and took naps. The quiet in my room was wonderful. The cumulative effect of all of the walking, meetings, etc. still made it rough the last few days -- energy-wise and Magrat complaining. I sat down on benches here and there in the long corridor of the convention center when I needed to take a break for a couple of minutes.

One morning I took a 15-minute break before going to the worship service. It ended up being a 30-minute nap, but I got there in time to find a seat in the back of the room for the beginning of the service. They provided a lot of "gathering music" before the services to cover the time needed for all of the attendees to make it through all of the corridors, and go up/down the various escalators connecting the skywalks, and the escalator up to the 3rd floor for the worship service. Whenever I got off of an escalator, I moved to the right side in the "slower lane" to allow all of the faster folk to go as fast as they could. People were considerate though. They usually held the door open for me (cane in hand), and didn't rush me in the corridors.

The past couple of days I've been trying to remember the scene in one of the "Harry Potter" movies that reminded me of the traffic through the convention corridor. It's finally "come to me" -- the scene in the 7th movie (of 8) in which Harry, Ron, and Hermione enter the main corridor in the Ministry of Magic building -- except that people weren't appearing out of nowhere from side entrances, and there weren't pieces of mail flying through the air.
 
So glad to hear from you, Becky, and to hear how well you are doing, and how much you are enjoying life with your new knee.
I realise that you are probably tired today, and are having to rest up, but you did really, really well.
I'm having a bit of a down day, not surprising really, because we have had rain here practically every day now for three months, and being stuck indoors unable to walk far, and not being able to make plans for outings or holidays yet because of not knowing how the knee operation will go is somewhat dispiriting. Hearing from you about your wonderful few days at the convention was a real blast of much needed fresh air and enthusiasm.
 
Hi ladyj,
I just wanted to say hi and send you a little bit of sunshine. I hope that tomorrow is a better day.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
 
Becky,
I'm sure being able to go to the conference was worth the few breaks you had to take along the way. I know I'm so happy just to be able to do simple things that I couldn't do until a few months ago. I haven't seen my granddaughters bedroom for 2 years and I was able to go up and see how they've redecorated it. Today we went to the store to buy her some new eye shadow to play with - she's 8 going on 13 :) Loves doing make up with her friends.
 
Morning Glory,
That is awesome that you were able to go up to your grand-daughter's bedroom. That truly struck a chord with me. As everyone knows, my grand-daughter is my special little side kick. I gave her my sister's mahogany 4 poster bed and bedroom set. I bought her the disney princess comforter set and all of the accessaries, but have never been up to her bedroom. Their house is too big for these knees. I can't wait to haul myself up their massive staircase and see her room!
 
Morning Glory,
That is awesome that you were able to go up to your grand-daughter's bedroom. That truly struck a chord with me. As everyone knows, my grand-daughter is my special little side kick. I gave her my sister's mahogany 4 poster bed and bedroom set. I bought her the disney princess comforter set and all of the accessaries, but have never been up to her bedroom. Their house is too big for these knees. I can't wait to haul myself up their massive staircase and see her room!


Pretty soon Nyland, you're almost there! I live to spoil my granddaughters, that was one of my incentives to finally get my knees fixed.
 
You're a woman after my own heart, MG! My husband is just like us. He just can't get enough of the grandkids. My son works with my husband. During school time, my daughter in law stops at work for a quick visit to daddy and papa on her way home from school pickup. My husband misses those those 3 PM visits during the summer. We have something in common. We are so very blessed! Oh, my my grand-daughter told me today that after my operation, she will come over and watch, "Guess how much I love you" with me. She said the bunny will make make my heart smile.
 
Jessie, it won't be long before you're on the other side and getting better. Being stuck indoors with all of the rain is frustrating. Hope that you get some good weather soon. Planning for outings and holidays -- even tentative ones -- help. I did that with my surgery -- thinking about the retreat at Kanuga Conference Center the 1st week in June and knowing about the convention this month. The main thing that helped was taking time to rest with my legs elevated and including naps in the schedule.

Morning Glory, finally getting to see your granddaughter's bedroom and having fun shopping with her is great. I know that I wouldn't have been able to walk around through the convention the whole time if I had NOT had the surgery. Tired -- yes. Sore - yes. But I was able to walk during the whole of the convention.

Nyland, you will be on the other side soon too, and getting better so that you can go up their massive staircase and visit your granddaughter's bedroom.

Thanks for all of your support, dear friends. :friends: Have a good night's sleep :sleep: and a good beginning of the new week.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
Thanks for the sunshine, Nyland.
 
You're a woman after my own heart, MG! My husband is just like us. He just can't get enough of the grandkids. My son works with my husband. During school time, my daughter in law stops at work for a quick visit to daddy and papa on her way home from school pickup. My husband misses those those 3 PM visits during the summer. We have something in common. We are so very blessed! Oh, my my grand-daughter told me today that after my operation, she will come over and watch, "Guess how much I love you" with me. She said the bunny will make make my heart smile.
I know that book! I just got goosebumps, that's just so sweet. My husband is retired and my daughter is a stay at home mom so we see them a few times a week. Like I said, a big part of me getting my nerve up to fix these knees was realizing how much I was missing out on with them. I thought it would be fun to take them to the zoo! Then I thought, what the heck was I going to do, sit in the car or find a bench and wait for them? I coudn't even take them to a movie never mind a zoo. I still may wait on the zoo for a little while but at least I'm on the right track. There are other people in my life too who have needed help and I was no good to anyone. Thank goodness my husband is in good shape but the poor guy was running himself ragged taking care of things I could have been helping him with. But it's all good now & just getting better.
 
I totally understand! You are 2 knees ahead of me. In 9 days you will only be 1 knee ahead of me. Have fun with your grand-children!
 
Jessie, it won't be long before you're on the other side and getting better. Being stuck indoors with all of the rain is frustrating. Hope that you get some good weather soon. Planning for outings and holidays -- even tentative ones -- help. I did that with my surgery -- thinking about the retreat at Kanuga Conference Center the 1st week in June and knowing about the convention this month. The main thing that helped was taking time to rest with my legs elevated and including naps in the schedule.

Morning Glory, finally getting to see your granddaughter's bedroom and having fun shopping with her is great. I know that I wouldn't have been able to walk around through the convention the whole time if I had NOT had the surgery. Tired -- yes. Sore - yes. But I was able to walk during the whole of the convention.

Nyland, you will be on the other side soon too, and getting better so that you can go up their massive staircase and visit your granddaughter's bedroom.

Thanks for all of your support, dear friends. :friends: Have a good night's sleep :sleep: and a good beginning of the new week.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering in Western North Carolina
Thanks for the sunshine, Nyland.

We have moved our big trip to the USA to next May, so I have that to look forward to, also I have a small gathering to go to for another forum I have been writing on for a long time, in London in November. A friend has booked us a twin room, so I know that will be very enjoyable and I will get to see people I haven't seen for ages.
My husband and I hope to get a few days away, knee willing in the autumn, and I can't wait.
It poured with rain again today, but the forecast is more hopeful for next week. I would like to get out and about before my op if possible, even if it is only driving around in the car and a pub lunch!

Isn't it amazing how much so many of us want to do things with our grandchildren?
I am so looking forward to taking mine out properly for the day.
I think we are a little like Daleks at present, we can manage OK unless we come to any stairs!:rotfl:

Becky, you have done so well. You are an inspiration.
 
Jessie, thanks. A quiet, relaxing drive in the car and a pub lunch sounds wonderful. The big trip to the USA next May will be a fantastic vacation. By the time you have the small gathering in November, you'll be doing much better -- "3 months +" on the other side. :SUNsmile: :thumb:

I like the comment about being a little like Daleks right now. Thanks for the laugh. I’m still working on “doing” stairs. It’s easier coming down stairs than going up them – particularly if they’re deeper than the usual step. I practice on our front steps when we’re coming and going, and other stairs (a few steps here and there). However since coming back home from the convention, Magrat has been complaining mightily – pain and some swelling. So I’ve been doing the “mantra thing” and taking it easier – though I walked at the mall this morning. Icing it more will be helpful too. I think it’s going to take a few days to recuperate from all of that walking on hard floors. :ok::sleep:
 
Stairs are starting to get easier. I'm noticing coming up I only use the cane every other step. The best part is it doesn't hurt like it used to before my new knees. There were a lot of times I just stayed home because I couldn't bear doing the stairs.

I was at my daughters today and was on my way out the door when I realized I forgot my cane! Used to be I needed 2 canes just to stand up. Doesn't seem like much but made me feel good. :thumb:
 
Morning Glory, that's great ! :yay: Even with things that seem small, the progress is soooo wonderful. :cheers: I've found that it doesn't hurt like it did before the surgery. Getting the strength back -- going UP stairs -- is taking longer for me. I might get a membership at the Y to help with the strength in my legs -- and with everything else. We're getting there one bit of progress at a time. :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom