TKR Recovering & Getting Ready for #2

Ooh ouch! I hope that feels better really soon. I am having sympathetic pains in my knee. :console2:
 
Stairs are the enemy!!! :hissy: I was lucky it was a rubber mat and gravel.... at least it was flat. I hope you feel better tomorrow. I did not hurt right away, it took a couple days to completely bloom. The indignaty was sitting in a puddle telling Rob to wait a minute while I collect myself and decide how best to get up, all the while in a downpour. :umm: Funny now !!!:heehee:
 
Oh no how long did it take to get the pain relieved from stair incident? That's frightening! I am glad you didn't topsy turvy.
What are you reading now that's good? I think I would have liked having both knees at once! Its the pits going through it one at a time.
 
Oh, I really hope you are feeling better today! I applaud anyone who manages stairs during recovery. It just seems like it would be extremely difficult. I've never really been a fan of our one-story, ranch style homes here in Florida until I had the knee done! :scare:

I began reading your posts from the beginning last night, and I saw that we had very similar experiences with pain control in the hospital. I was originally on the morphine pump and femoral block, but I crashed about an hour out of the recovery room. Blood pressure went down to 57/36 (lowest). I don't remember much, but they said it was very bad. So, the morphine pump was taken away. It was replaced with dilaudid every four hours after that alternated with Percocet.

It would have been fine, but two of the night nurses wouldn't give me the meds on time. I could hear them talking and laughing at the nurses station all night long, but they couldn't be bothered to deal with their patients. One had the nerve to ask me what I planned on doing once I got home because I didn't get to take the dilaudid with me. I was literally screaming and crying in pain when she asked me. I actually ended up reporting them because they were so mean.

Anyway, once the pain management was figured out, it was smooth sailing. Now I'm stealing another of your ideas. I have the coffee table right up to the couch with my head on it...butt at the back of the couch, leg straight up against the wall, and nook close by. This is great! :heehee:

I hope you are feeling better and have a wonderful day!

Stacey
 
Lynn, I know how your fall felt both physically and emotionally! The other day I was getting out of the truck, I drive a big 4x4, had the foot of the new knee on the running board when I put the other foot down to the pavement...that foot hit a patch of ice and took off out from under me. I think the fall put my ROM farther than the 130 that it has been lately. I think, for me anyway, it was more scary than painful.
 
Stacey, the vision of you with your coffee table setup has me giggling! :rotfl: And it actually sounds more sensible than my sideways approach. That is a good thing because ErniesMa, your situation made my stomach roll! :sick: Yes, scary AND painful. And Joy - its so important we can find the humor in retrospect! I love the vision - not your pain. Stacey - good for you on reporting them - I have had great night time RNs and some not so good - their conduct was unconscionable. That blood pressure scare was huge! The hospital I use stopped doing the morphine pump a few years ago, in favor of the block. I did not have the dilaudid with 10-week knee, but did with 3-week knee. That was another med I couldn't tolerate (at least when they were giving me the anti-nausia at the same time as it). sigh. Randi - thanks for the sympathy pains, but you've been through quite enough! lol

Well, my update - not so amusing yet and still pretty sore. Totally impossible to do many exercises yesterday or today. 3-week knee is protesting even walking much. Joy, I do hope it has "bloomed" as much as it intends! PT today was limited to her massaging and manipulating both knees. My newer knee, which is the one that went straight down, oddly seems to be the unhappiest - though it is newer and thus more susceptible to anything (here I thought I was done with babies when both girls finished college!!) :egypdance: . It must have skipped 2 steps and hard-landed, though I was more concerned with hyper-bent knee at the time. Lost 10 degrees of flex. 10-week knee that had to bend accutely with the slip is tolerating it more and actually went back to 0 degree flex. (I had been there before 3-week knee, but being laid up, lost a fews degrees.)

My PT found lots of swelling on 3-week, and I now have to watch a spot on the back which she says may be a Bakers cyst developing. Great! Debating on registering a call with OS office, just in case they have any concerns. A couple hours today on CPM with ice machine and nap. But huge meeting tonight. I have to meet with all my GS leaders - its COOKIE TIME so they get their training tonite and packets and samples. Plus we have our cookie booth lottery - always a long and busy meeting. At least I have a fabulous Cookie Chair to run the most part of things.

Marianne - what kind of books do you like? My book club has just started a new one Skios, only 3 chapters in, but anything Greek is great with me. I like historical fiction (Phillipa Gregory-style), adventure & derring-do (Clive Cussler-type), spy (Robert Ludlum), etc.
 
OMG! Are you a professional Girl Scout? Maybe you know my aunt, back in the day she was really involved in San Diego, but then again she is probably old enough to have been your Girl Scout leader. She went by Smitty.
Sorry to hear about all of this falling. There seems to have been a rash of falling this week from my Bonesmart friends and it simply MUST stop! :gaah: no more falling! And I hope you feel better soon.
 
Hi Randi - I am probably as "professional" a Girl Scout as a volunteer can be. I love the program and the values it seeks to instill in girls and young women. It literally saved my life when I was a teen. ANd I love the women I get to work with now. Now here is the coincidence - I don't know if your Smitty is the same GS Smitty I know - is she into musical theater? We have a Smitty who is part of our SongShare group. What is that you ask? Imagine 100 old"er" Girl Scouts getting together for a weekend of camping and singing every January - and I mean singing the GS classics all weekend. And yes, because of the age of many of us, camping is no longer in tents, but we do rough it a bit. So is your Smitty about 5'6", slender, full of tons of energy and loves to sing with GS?? We may know the same one - that would be so cool.

As for falling, my knees are becoming increasingly angry with me tonight. Randi and I hereby declare to all BoneSmarties: thou shalt not fall anymore! We are hereby on a safe grounds hiatus!
 
I heard about that singing camp from a friend. I was a Girl Scout until high school and then it all went away and there was no troop available in my area. :sad: BUT! I made up for it since, hiking, camping, traveling and more or less having a wonderful adult life, esp now being retired. I don't know if your Smitty is my aunt, I'll ask her, not sure she's your singing type but she meets most of the rest of your description. As for that knee, you are in early recovery, my girl, so maximum pampering and safe ground status are duly noted. On the plus side, your knee would probably be hurting anyway, so if you subtract that amount of hurting from your current hurting, maybe that equals not so bad. :SUNsmile: But then again, I think that's called rationalization. Works for me! :rotfl:
 
Once a GS, always a GS - there is even a GS Alumni assoc. now just log onto www.girlscouts.org. If your Smitty is my Smitty, she will be in Irvine, CA the last weekend of January! (I think between surgeries I missed the registration deadline, so I may miss it this year. :boohoo:) Meanwhile, I need to do that advanced math you gave me: x new hurt minus y expected hurt, equals I'm really confused!! lol :heehee:
 
Oh Nightquilter, please take it easy, you've come so far on those knees, I agree NO more slipping and sliding, hope you're feeling better every hour!
 
Hi Lynn, I just caught up on your thread, I don't know how I lost track of you! Sliding down the stair had to be really scary and painful!:yikes: I would give a call to your OS if you still are having issues , they may want to take an xray, just for hahas if for nothing else, and besides it may give you peace of mind! I hope it comes into check soon, because you don't need any additional pain that's for sure. You were celebrating your milestone of doing the stair and all hell broke loose, not fair!!:console2:
I loved your comment (I thought I was done with babies, when my girls were finished with college), it seems our new babies are our knees now!:umm: Unbalievable!:scratch: Who knew!!
 
Wow catching up with you. I'm so sorry about your fall! That must have been frightening and now taking so long to resolve. Seems like we all have enough going on anyway, then adding these little detours doesn't help!
I read ordinary books not the intellectual stuff..James Patterson, Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham, Jennifer Weiner, and so on. I will have to read the previews of your books to see if I could get into it. Its nice about the iPad being able to do that. Just finished Memory Keepers Daughter and started Eat Cake.
My wrist was broken afterall. So much fun! Why us! Ha! Dr. Spitzer said it's not broken on Monday and gave me a splint. Then went to urgent care who took X-rays and said no fractures. Then went to hand guy and he said of course it's fractured. It felt broken to me and looked broken on the xray. My PT was surprised and thought it was obvious on xray. My clerk and I both thought so too!
You girls with falling. I think we all need bubble wraps and helmets!
 
Sorry to hear about your wrist, yikes! Do you have to have a cast? I thought it was a ganglion cyst. Honestly, sometimes I get the posts mixed up so don't be upset with me if I got it wrong. Didn't Lynn tell you? From now until henceforth, no more falling for Bonesmart members. Bubble wrap is not enough, there is now a total prohibition on falling and miscellaneous extra injuries, this is just not acceptable.
 
Randi I didn't even fall just twisted my wrist picking up something off the floor. Urgent Care told me there were no fractures but I went to the hand doctor the next day and he said it was clearly fractured! Choice of cast or brace so I am just using a brace. Hard to type since I did it on Friday! I am not a hunt and pecker so it's annoying! You are right about no more falling...and breaking bones however it happens, ha!
 
Hi Lynn,

So sorry to hear about your fall. I did that in January 2011 on black ice in the parking lot at my office. I did my best Saturday Night Fever move with the bad knee bending all the way back to my butt and the good leg straight out, manipulation without anesthesia! I had to drag myself to my car, get in with no help, and figure out what was next. No fun, which was what led me to TKR. At three months after TKR, had MUA and upon arrival back home same day as MUA, slipped on computer mat and fell down. That fall was slow motion and scared me to death, and hubby too. I got up on the stool, sat there and just cried. It was all just too much. That was over a year ago but reading your post brings it right back! Take it easy and rest. All this will get better but it does take time, as you know.

With snow and ice firmly here in New England, I have a supply of ice melt in my car and carry it with me at all times just in case. I am so cautious about falling as I never intend to let it happen again!

Be well and keep moving. You have such a great attitude and outlook! I love your posts about Girl Scouts! I too was a scout and learned so much from those times. I had boys so no gs cookie adventures for me as an adult!

Do take care,

Dawn
 
Oh my Dawn! Both of those falls had to be so frightening! I had a bit of that slo-mo going on with my little slip, but both of yours are hair-raising. Love your positive attitude as well (Sat Night Fever and MUA w/o anesthesia - lmao if it weren't such a painful image!). Love the idea of carry-all ice. But in the summer, guess we have to use those insta-freeze packs. At least you can still enjoy GS cookies from the consumer end! Hope you are doing well now!
 
Yes, 'Tis the season for falling! Hope your knee settles down soon.
Girl Scouts. My BIL is one of the paid members of the Girl Scouts administration. I find that funny because I got my butt tossed out of GS after a prank at GS Camp went, well, not well...
Said I "didn't personify the type of girl a GS strives to be" BAH.
Needless to say, my girls were not girl scouts. We do love the cookies. Thin mints broken up and mixed with vanilla ice cream=LOVE. YUM.
Keep fighting the good fight!
Sandy
 
Back
Top Bottom