Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovering & Getting Ready for #2

Day 16 on left knee. Glad to get the dressing off finally. (Updated Badge of Honor posted - it looks like matching scars!)

We have really been playing catch up with pain since the day of surgery, and losing most of the time. The lack of sleep and the very different response of this knee has been quite frustrating and, at times, alarming. It was reassuring to see the X-rays today and learn everything internally was as it should be. And we had a long discussion about pain meds and what options I have to try to get it under better control. All the sleeplessness was adding to the post-op blues I developed this time anyway! :boohoo: The theory is because the left had been carrying me along for so long before the right surgery anyway and then had the "laboring oar" through the 7 weeks of recovery there, it had just been subjected to more "abuse" of late and is just protesting more right now.

But this too shall - must - pass! :SUNsmile:
 
Did you say "this too shall pass"? Ahem! Well it doesn't pass very quickly does it? Some day you will look back on this and say " oh, that was when I had my knees done", no pain, no suffering and maybe you will even be engaging in a very athletic activity at the time. Until then, rest, ice, elevate. Your day will come!
 
You are so right Randi. Just been one of my bluer days but I know it will get better! Thank you.
 
Hello! I'll bet you are glad those two surgeries are all over! Sometimes, I think this waiting is the worst! I, too, will be having my knees done 6 weeks apart so I'm really reading your posts with great interest! It sounds like you're having a bit of trouble staying ahead of the pain this time, but it is comforting to me that you are still able to come here and post! I have no idea about the type of pain this will be, and I have many worries right now in that respect. I'm sure I'm imagining the worst. I'm used to the constant pain of the bone on bone which has really gotten worse in the last few weeks, but I have no idea about post surgical pain.

Just wanted to say thanks, again, and to let you know that your posts are really encouraging for me....and others waiting for their dates. Take good care!
 
Oh Dewey, I am so glad you are finding some value and encouragement in this. :friends: Where are you located? Do you know what type of surgical approach your OS uses - minimally invasive or cutting into the quad?

I found this site and the advice and information to have been invaluable in getting through both "parts A and B" of my surgeries. While they advise to take it carefully with the PT and don't go where your body says you can't, I did know I needed to push it on building up my quads in particular because I would be relying on them so much in the recovery for #2. I also took the "elevate and ice" mantra to extremes, because I was intent on getting the swelling down as much as possible, since that would help with pain and strengthening. My extreme was finding a really good book, laying down on the couch with my new leg braced against the wall for a couple hours at a time(doing foot pumps of course!)! I took using gravity to get the lymph flowing quite seriously! That and a dear friend who is a highly trained massage therapist who came in a couple times and just really worked the legs.

The pain is very different than what you have now and with it, you know there is good at the end - and that it will end!! :spin: If you find you have some medication the first time round that does not set well with you, make sure they know it and don't start you off with it again for the 2nd knee! Duh. We wasted good energy trying to break a broken wheel! Likewise, if there is a medication you are doing well with, don't come all the way off of it. I did some research about why hydrocodone, which worked so well with #1 had no effect with #2; apparently there is a kind of "recency effect" and since my body had been on it and then off, it was too soon for it to be effective with me again. I absolutely defer to the experts on BoneSmart on that one, but it seemed to explain my particular circumstance.

Do keep me/us posted on how you are "deweyn" Dewey. We are here to help you through your journey. Oh, and one other piece of advice - practice your kegel exercises!! Not usually mentioned in "the book," but when they remove the catheter and you might be on your own to make it to the bathroom in time.... Need I say more! :groan: :rotfl:
 
Lynn, you are a much braver woman than I am! I knew I had to do both at the same time or I might chicken out for the second one, and to be honest doing both at once really wasn't that bad! I mean sure rehab and such took its toll, but it was very doable! As far as the blues, I'm naturally a positive, look on the bright side of life type of person, but having said that I too hit a wall of the blue, especially while on those heavy duty drugs and getting off of them. However, something else that comes into play is the fact that we are house bound and reliant on someone else for our care! As women we are care givers by nature, so it's difficult to rely on others for our needs, however it's all short term, thank goodness and soon you will be better than you have be for a long time, so enjoy what others do for you and try and stay positive. You've been on this rode before, however each TKR is different even on the same person!

Stay well, and I wish you a speedy recovery! :friends:
 
All points well-taken Jacky. And like you, I tend to be a very glass half full type of person. Ironically, if you look back in my thread, you'll see I too was supposed to have them both done at once - I had been bone on bone for a couple years. In my view it was the best way to go - over and done with. I did my hips together 10 years ago. But, it was not to be. :sigh: I think that too, is a factor in the blues - thought it should have been over and done with, and still have to go through all the PT and aches yet again. :tantrum: But it is done and things will be better. Had I planned on doing them seriatum, I don't think I would have been as down about it.

By the way, I too sport a new pair of Smith & Nephew Oxiniums, though I don't know which specific model. I was originally scheduled for the BTKR on Oct. 22 and was literally in the operating room when they realized the chance of my reacting to the nickel content in the Strykers I was going to get was too high, so they put me off a week until they could get the S&Ns. My best to Minnie and Mickey! :kittykiss:
 
Wow, I didn't even pick up on the part where you had BHR in '03! Whew, you've been through quite a road! When the recovery is all done you're going to be a whole new woman! :egypdance:

I hope the blues leave you soon, because for me that was the worse part of the whole recovery, it felt like I had blinders on! :boohoo:
 
I think it is so cool that you got to have both done in such a short period of time. :happydance:My os would not talk about the second knee until my 6 week checkup. Then he seemed to be blowing me off until I said it was a toss up which they did first and he checked the exrays. I am back on the waiting list. 6 months once the hospital gets the paper work through.... Maybe may if they were fast otherwise it will be August on as he takes June for holidays and July for upgrading his skills. I would love to get it over today... new knee is good.... I am ready.
I believe the glass half full means there is space for more good wine:giggle: to go with that good book while you rest, ice and elevate. The positive will pull you out of the blue funk.... as you well know.
Take care of yourself and you will be dancing in no time!!!:dancy:
 
Hi Lynn!
I am fairly new to this board and your pre-surgical posts drew me in. I found someone I could offer encouragement to, like others had done for me! I was sorry to hear of your pain problems in the hospital I hope you are progressing well now that you are home. Look forward to reading yours, and everyone's post. Gods speed!
 
6 months once the hospital gets the paper work through.... I would love to get it over today... new knee is good.... I am ready.
I believe the glass half full means there is space for more good wine:giggle: to go with that good book while you rest, ice and elevate. The positive will pull you out of the blue funk.... as you well know.
Take care of yourself and you will be dancing in no time!!!:dancy:
-----------
Thanks Joy! I am amazed that surgeries like that require so much paperwork/time by the hospital alone in Canada. I suppose that is one difference with the medical systems. Sorry for your delay. When we could not do both my knees the same day in Oct., he offered me as soon as 4 weeks! I think I am glad I passed on that; in retrospect I would not have been ready. If you don't have it done within days, like one of our other friends on here, I think you need that time for the first to get strong enough to pick up the recovery slack on #2. You will certainly be ready to go by the time the paper grid gets up to speed there!
And yes, good wine, though I suppose it is not highly recommended while still on my meds! I love owls and got a fun set of wine glasses etched with owl heads which will come in handy with all the books I have to read on my nook!!
-----
Jacky, just having a long conversation yesterday with my OS's PA regarding pain management options helped significantly. Got the dressing removed and the x-rays are good - it all goes a long way in making me feel more positive again. That and finally a good night's sleep last night (yes, she said Advil PM mixes well with Oxy - after you're off your blood thinners!)
-----
Welcome Marilyn! Isn't this site and the people on it wonderful! How are you doing with your new knees? Joy, it looks like you may be on the same recovery schedule as Marilyn here!
 
I am guessing that my second one will be a couple of months behind Marlyn. I just got a call from work asking me when I will be back.... My OS told me to take 4 months off because I stand for an 8 hour shift on a concrete floor.... so I told them I would be back in February. I do not think they will be happy to hear I will be off again this year.
The wait list has to do with operating room time and scheduling in our health care system. Each province sets budgetary priorities and I think B.C.has a slightly longer wait time than the rest of the country. In the mean time I can get back to my life!
 
Congrats then with getting on with life! 8 hours on a congrete floor - give me the shudders. Can you use one of those rubber pads where you stand the most to give you some "give?" Or a pair of the "organic" type earth shoes with lots of arch and heel support? I am sure they will be delighted to get you back on the job, whether you run out again later in the year or not. Good luck Joy.
 
Lynn, I'm glad to hear that you're getting some sleep now, and pain relief. Congratulations on having both knee surgeries behind you now!

You said you love owls -- do you have a favorite? We're birders and visited a banding site one evening in October to see saw whet owls were being banded. They were only about 6" tall and as cute as they come!
 
Thank you Momba! And I just this minute went up the stairs without assistance AND articulated!! Uglier coming down, but I am so excited about that little development at just under 3 weeks! WooHoo!

And speaking of owls, I am not very educated about the different types - your visit to a banding site sounds incredible! I became fascinated with them early on with their connection to Greek mythology and representation of wisdom - I've been collecting photographs and statuettes of them from around the world. Someone even gave me an outdoor faucet handle shaped like one. One needn't go far in our house without running into one. And even though we live near Los Angeles, we are fortunate to live on the edge of a riparian canyon so we can hear screech owls in the winter and spring and hoot owls all summer and fall as we drift off to sleep.
 
Lynn, I had my first two knee replacements 8 1/2 weeks apart and I was so glad. Of course with my high risk of infection standing at 50/50 he didn't give me the option of both at once. I am so happy that we did them at separate times! It sounds like you are doing fantastic! Keep us the great work!:happydance:
 
Grazie Sonja! It doesn't sound like you had any option, yet they were timed such that the first knee was strong enough to support the recovery on #2 and yet not so far apart that the prospect of going through it all again would become overwhelming. I love your messages in your signature - points we all need to keep in mind!
 
Yes Lynn, we have rubber mats to stand on. They are old and not real cushy any more but better than nothing. It is not so bad on slower days as I can move about and do other tasks, not just stand in one spot. Our cashier desks have a 3 ft. x 3 ft. area to stand at our registers and no room to move about. It is very tiring by the end of an 8 hour shift.:sigh: My OS told me to wait til 4 months to go back.
Great news about the stairs!!!:yes!: It is very liberating to hit these milestones.... It shows us the light at the end of the tunnel.... be careful not to over do!
 
Two steps forward and three steps back - almost literally today. Something not to do with your new knees.... Was going downstairs this morning for breakfast (so I could take my morning pain meds), leading down with the newer knee, when newer knee decided it did not like the step I put it on and slid down to the next one (or two). Older new knee (10 weeks today) normally has about 131 degrees of flex, but when you know you are about to fall and you tense everything up - well there went all that flex. Sat on the stairs crying for awhile, then went to get that breakfast, then spent the next several hours in the CPM with the ice machine alternating between feeling sorry for myself and napping. Newer knee is still quite agitated, but the swelling is down substantially.

Joy - cheat - grab someone else's mat and put it on top of yours - double the pleasure!
 
Back
Top Bottom