TKR Recovering & Getting Ready for #2

[Bonesmart.org] Recovering & Getting Ready for #2
Had my knees done 2 days apart--OS would not do 2 in one surgery. Having a "good" knee was not really necessary. I managed to sit, stand, and walk without any more trouble than a one kneer. I was walking without any assistance at 21 days. I don't think I had any more pain and swelling because they were both done---the pain meds took care of both pretty well. I had all the usual problems we all have---constipation, sleeplessness, stiff achy knees if I sat or stood too long. But it all sorted itself out, and now almost 14 months post op----I LOVE MY NEW KNEES!
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering & Getting Ready for #2
 
Hi Patricia! It is interesting how we all heal so differently. I feel strong enough to take this on now (but what I would give to have had both actually done at once, as scheduled). You are wise to be waiting - the swelling is just such an irritant - in fact my PT was explaining there are actually a couple of enzymes in the fluid that accumulates which are precisely that - irritants - designed to make us behave and be careful! I must admit that at times I perhaps overdid the elevate-so-the-knee-is-above- your-heart thing - I'd grab a good book, lie down on the couch, prop my leg up on the wall and read for a couple of hours! My OS just laughed and shook his head on that "therapy"! :rotfl:
 
Bottom - that is so awesome! You now have me looking forward to my 14-month mark! Actually, I already love my new right knee, despite it's occasional achiness and feeling "nausous" (my blessed PT actually knew exactly what I meant with that description!). My only regret is having put it off for so long. I did my hips together and loved (to the extent one can get off on the pain :sick: !) that recovery; same OS was game to do both knees as well, but for my blood oxygen levels not recovering quickly enough after they removed the tourniquet. He said the risk was I could end up on a respirator for weeks! Good call doc! :martini:
 
Yes I am so glad he held off on No 2! Do you feel like it may be slightly easier this week knowing what you now know about the whole recovery process? Do you know who your anesthesiologist is? I had NO choice, No call the night before or any of that from mine who was actually just a resident.
 
Good questions Marianne. I think I am less anxious about the surgery itself (that had always been my biggest dread), but knowing what the recovery entails does not exactly make me eager to undertake it again! Yet knowing how well I responded and being out of the acute pain, I am looking forward to that!
I do not know for certain who the anesthesiologist is. On the day originally scheduled I had a team - their head guy, a resident and a med student. Dr. Anand has developed the femoral nerve block there and taught it to the others. When I went back for the "real" surgery, I had another anesthesiologist who was just fine and came in later to check on me. It was he who said one can often request your anesthesiologist. Dr. Anand is also in charge of pain management for the ortho recovery area - he also checked on me a couple times, and even called me after I was home to see how I was doing. I think the latter because he had given me a 2nd femoral nerve block before I left because my pain was definitely not under control. That 2nd one made a huge difference for me! :spin: I did ask Penenberg's surgical scheduler for Dr. Anand, but don't know if that will happen.
 
Hope all went well today! Thinking about you!
I will definitely request him if I do this again. My pain was not under control while I was in the hospital. It probably didn't help that the nurses are afraid of my doctor.
Can't wait to hear how you're doing! HUGS!
 
I'm thinking about you today Lynn and hope all is well for you tonight. Now you have a new knee and will be dancing in no time! :xmasdance:
 
Hi NightQuilter! Well it is December 17th and am hoping all went well with LTKR today! I look forward to your posting in the next few days,with all good news! Take care.
 
Just checking in to say Hi and hope everything went according to plan with your op. I am slightly jealous youve now had the two done as I know I will have to face it soon. No need to say ice elevate etc you know the drill. Just take it easy and be kind to yourself. What a good 2013 its going to be for you with your brand new knees. Hoping to see you posting again soon. :happydance::spin:This is how you will feel after the op xxx
 
Looking forward to hearing how you are doing. I hope your silence doesn't mean that you are having a hard time, but rather taking time to recover in the hospital. Keep us posted when you feel up to it!:xmas-win:
 
Just checking in to see if there are any updates. Hope you are doing well, take care.
 
Hi Lynn
Wondering if you are going home today. I hope your surgery went as well as #1.
Thinking about you and hoping your pain is under control and you are as comfortable as possible. :flwrysmile:
 
Hello all - I truly appreciate all the well-wishes! :thankyou: Left knee went as planned on Monday, Dec.17. I only had my Nook in the hospital and to my dismay on BoneSmart it would not open the keyboard. :tantrum: Just got home this afternoon. An interesting experience from many perspectives! Bottom line is "mom and knee" are doing well. :kittykiss:

The most interesting surprise was how comfortable I felt on the new knee right away - maybe because the other surgery was so recent. I knew I could trust it. There was extreme pain from the beginning because despite what was put in the report, I was not given the nerve block - or perhaps we should say it was "not effective." The lack of any puncture holes or bruising on the thigh suggest the former.... A friend had the same anesthesiologist last week with the same experience....

I was able to get the nerve block the next day - what a tremendous healing aid because it eliminates the pain across the quad and patella where all the stretching is done with the MIS. Lessons learned and taught: if you've been in the hospital recently, make sure someone is managing your overall case. I was immediately put on the same drug regimen I had been last time; unfortunately, no one looked back to see how badly I responded to one of the meds and it was already in my system before I realized it. Then we discovered quite explosively no one had trained the night staff that when you give a patient an anti-nausea medication, it should be given 20 minuted before, not simultaneously with dilaudid. :sick: I was quite ill by morning and since we didn't know what was causing the problems, I went off all meds till the nerve block and then started reintroducing. In the meantime, the pain was tough.

But all is well now. The head nurse and two others I had, along with their head anesthesiologist were wonderful and all over it and a couple new protocols are being discussed! I'm home, elevated, and iced - and so beginneth the recovery. Marianne, they really like Klapper there too. I'm actually posting Day 2 and Day 4 photos of both knees on the badges site - if I can figure it out!!
 
Welcome home Lynn! So sorry you had problems with the pain... I had the "pain team" too and had awful pain control. Go figure! ha! But my block was given and DID work (I had an asian resident), bruises and punctures... That is nuts that yours was documented but not actually given! Honestly they do these things daily, seems like they could get pain control figured out and have a protocol! I'm glad you got them working on it though.
But now you are all squared away and I am glad the leg feels good and stable.
Thanks for inquiring about Klapper! I'm going to check out your pics.
Yeah! YOu made it! So glad all is well!
 
Oh, I'm soo sorry you had such a rough time getting your pain under proper control!! I know how that feels.. The same thing happened to me, but the Dr's wouldn't try anything else! I had to suffer through it the entire time.

But, that is over, and now you are home, and the healing begins!! You know the mantra, and that will keep you on the right path to a great recovery!!! Bravo, my dear!!! You're on your way!!!!
 
Glad you are home and healing! Sorry you had a bad start but glad you are moving in the right direction now. Mantra time!
 
Hi Lynn
No pressure... just wanting to let you know I'm thinking about you and hoping you are able to stay comfortable. When you are able you can fill us all in. Wondering if you had a PT visit yet. You probably don't need reminding that YOU are in charge, not them, but it's a vulnerable time so don't let anyone hurt you. Also wondering if your leg discrepancy has disappeared since Monday's surgery.
In another week the worst part will be over. Gosh, you are completely BIONIC now with your new hips and knees! Only good things to come. Don't forget any the "rules", take your pain meds on a schedule, no Medals of Honor will be given to you for trying to "be a good patient!" Good thoughts coming your way wishing you comfort. XOXOX
 
One week now (plus). I'm glad thats over and it's all up from here. I really think it's much better to be recovering after the surgery than anticipating before the surgery. And the first week is this worst, isn't it? Pretty soon you'll be skipping down the beach! (Insert picture of skipping here) :spin:
 
You are all so great! I so appreciate the encouragement and positive 'tudes! Today was better than yesterday and things seem to have finally started moving - and I don't just mean the swelling in my left leg! Phew!

Its really hokey, but I was having fun on FB last night and posted this - wanted to share:

T'was the night before Christmas, and all through the house,
the noises of preparations, but me quiet as a mouse.
Blessed family intent on making it all feel so right
Despite mom's inability to wrap even one gift in sight.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes the cats wouldn't knock them off there.
The day dawned chilly and really quite grey,
But later turned bright blue; an...d 60 in LA.

As we settled in for the evening there arose such a clatter,
Oxy-drug induced images of Santa grown much fatter.
My eye was drawn to the stacks of Christmas cards dear,
not one was going out this year, that was quite clear.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow -
Nope, just another fire in LA with ashes below.
Glad tidings for Costellos both young and the old,
With futures unclear as they're yet to unfold.

One thing certain this evening, as we wait for St. Nick
The Mayans were wrong, no end date was pick'd
And with that joyous news in the morning we'll affirm
The Christ child's among us for the long term.
 
Back
Top Bottom