TKR Recovering & Getting Ready for #2

Marianne, that sounds very encouraging about switching surgeons. No one else is going to watch out for you in these situations but yourself! I'm glad you could get your continued PT Rx without any difficulty.
 
Hi Marianne - what a horribly frustrating and totally unnecessary situation. I am so sorry you had to endure that.

I love Penenberg and, ironically, I am finding more and more of the staff at Cedars who have had replacements always use him, including the head nurse on 7 North - the ortho ward! That is the testament to his skill. He does do the minimally invasive approach - does not cut the quadracep. His website is www.hipkneemis.com. He is part of a research institute on joint replacements, consults with the major prosthetics manufacturers, and holds a few patents of his own for some of the instruments and devices. His surgeries are M,T,Th and office hours are W,F. He has two PA-Cs and both get back to you immediately - latest the next day and both are authorized to advance prescriptions, under his supervision. One usually sees him once in the hospital post surgery and then after 2 weeks at home, at which time he will refer you out for outside PT (home therapist until then). People seem to get scheduled for their surgeries within about 6 weeks; one firend who is now going to him actually got an date within 2 weeks.

I am unfamiliar with Klapper - I don't know him but I see you have an appointment with him. I am confident you will be much happier with any switch. And there is a wonderful PT on the floor there with a delightfully wicked sense of humor - Jan.

Please keep me posted Marianne, especially since we are living in the same part of the world!
 
Thank you for that information! I will make an appointment with him as well. Maybe I can get into him before I go back to work. When I go to the doctor I have to just about take a day off work since I live in Long Beach. Were you talking about Bridget who had bilateral and went back to work in 4 weeks? She made the education video on the Cedars Website. I couldn't remember Penenberg's name but Klapper was easy to remember. I stayed on 7N as well and I got excellent nursing care.
 
LB is a bit of a haul! It is Brigitte (though of course Dr. Penenberg won't acknowledge who his patients are). When we chatted, she actually had them done a couple weeks apart and then returned to work. The whole team up there are wonderful. I hadn't seen the online version of the patient orientation course - that is handy.
 
Lynn~That's great you've gotten such quick responses when there are issues. Every little thing becomes a struggle with my Dr's office. Multiple phone calls, no call backs, plus Dr. is rude to nurses, my primary doctor, and me. When you are lucid, ask the nurses what they think of Spitzer! :heehee:
How long is your incision? Mine 8 inches midline. Is yours on the side? Sigh....looking for the green-with-envy smilie...
I'm excited for you getting knee 2 done!!! Another shiny new knee for the holidays!
 
Marianne - mine is about 7" slightly "mooned" with bottom at about midline, top about an inch right of midline, and the middle about an inch left of midline - if that makes sense! I haven't seen a whole lot of other knee scars to compare, but I know he feels this approach preserves some of the nerves which take longer to recover feeling. And right now it is fingers crossed for the surgery on the 17th - bad bronchitis and laryngitis! Docs tomorrow!
Incidentally, I don't know protocol on this, but since he is staff at the hospital, it seems there must be some way to report his conduct. It sounds simply unprofessional. I know as an attorney, had I treated clients like that, I would have been reported to the State Bar!
 
Oh I hope you can get that cleared up before the 17th! Should be time for 10days of antibiotics...I hope! I'm sorry you are sick! Not fair.
Dr. Penenberg doesn't take Blue Shield PPO...so disappointed. So I will see Dr. Klapper in January and see what he thinks of my left knee. I see Dr. S next Thursday and that is the last appt I have scheduled with him, not sure when I would see him again. He's ignored my concerns about my left knee so it will be interesting to see if he will start any treatment at that time. I was looking up the docs on Healthgrade and Vitals and the comments on Vitals were right on the money about my Dr., poor bedside manner. I don't think his weaknesses are worthy of reporting to the hospital especially since they already know it!
I've given up on being able to get anything done on my left knee with current doc and it's a shame because I just want to get it taken care of so I can work without pain. On my feet most of the day. Yes I wouldn't last long if I ran my little "health office" the way his is run! (School nurse with 4200 high school students). The admin would chew me up if I ignored parent calls and was rude to the students.
I don't like getting all negative like this so I'm just going to see what happens with my next appt and then have the other consult. Problem is it will be so hard to work with my left knee so painful but nothing I can do about it.
I'm anxious to hear what your doctor says tomorrow about your URI. You have 11 days to get well and I hope that is enough!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering & Getting Ready for #2
Gee, Marianne, it's hard not to be negative when you're experiencing pain and your doctor is totally indifferent to it. Makes you wonder why he choose his profession. I think you are very wise to be looking at getting another OS. Please keep us in the loop about this. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering & Getting Ready for #2
 
4200 students!! I am impressed! Klapper is head of the program - he should be great - sorry Penenberg doesn't take your insurance. :sigh: I know he will bill, but no longer is in network with Anthem Blue Cross either. We had to give a moderate deposit which will be returned to the extent our insurance does not cover everything. Do you even need to see S at this point? :headbang:

OK, Marianne - we are both going totally positive vibe only from here on out! :martini: You will be getting relief and outstanding treatment soon and I will get on antibiotics tomorrow and be in the pink of health by my surgery on the 17th, with all student papers graded and final grades submitted! :kittykiss:
 
Lynn I'm so sorry your are sick. You've got enough days for a 10 round of antibiotics but cutting it so close. Hopefully your URI won't be stubborn!
I wrote a big long thing in my own thread about my doctor because it got so long on yours and it's so negative! I think the hospital is pretty aware of my Dr's issues because the nurses can't stand him. Your doctor doesn't take Blue Shield PPO.:boohoo:
There is a thread where people post photos of their incisions if you have any interest. Its so neat how your doctor explains the Why's to you!
I sure hope you feel better and get better quickly! :mcoffee: Take good care! Oh and that's great about your climbing stairs already!
 
Thank you for asking Marianne. We are still a go for Monday; the brochitis is a bit better, but refuses to disappear, but it is not enough to be an issue. Whew. Starting to feel a bit overwhelmed about having to go through it again, but it will be a relief to have it over and done with. A dear friend had her left knee done this morning by him. Will see her tomorrow! Saw my surgeon yesterday for f-u on right knee - he was tickled with how well it has done - -2 degrees, 131 degrees flex and he couldn't believe the swelling was gone! yeah!
 
That's great Lynn. At least you know what to expect although that may be the hard part...Knowing! Think in a week from now though how the worst part will be over. I envy you getting it done so by FEb 2013 you will be 100% bionic and running thru the streets of Beverly Hills like a gazelle.
I am glad your Doctor was tickled with your progress! :yay: Say hi to Brigette and the girls for me!
 
I hope you have a great worry free weekend and smooth sailing on Monday. It sounds like he is a capable, caring and trustworthy. I will be thinking of you on Monday. :angel:
 
I will spread your cheer through the Cedars Ortho recovery ward Marianne! :reindeers: My friend is doing great and was begging to go home today! Me, I want to be cared for for the extra day before I have to force it all on the sainted Joe (hubby extraordinaire). :xmaskitty:(Except he is not a fan of cats, though he tolerates the elegant Nefertiri!)

Thank you Randi - all the good thoughts possible greatly appreciated. I am blessed to have such a superb surgeon and a great team there! Now if only I can focus for today and tomorrow and grade a gazillion papers so I can get the class's grades in! Focus has been an issue! :xmascandle:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering & Getting Ready for #2
So get crackin', Lynn, and get it over with! Then you have my permission:heehee: to be just a lazy as you want to be!
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering & Getting Ready for #2
 
Just wanted to send my best wishes, too! Yours are the first posts I've read from someone that is having both knees replaced so close together. I, too, am scheduled for 6 weeks apart, so I'm reading your posts with great interest! Thanks, so much, for sharing your experiences for those of us yet to undergo the surgery.

I'll sure be watching your after surgery posts! Here's to a speedy, painfree recovery!!:martini:
 
Hi Dewey - thanks so much and from your lips (or post) to...! :angel: All I can suggest is follow the mantra here - rest, elevate, ice, and stay ahead of the pain. Of course we are both motivated to push on the PT because of the need to get the first knee strong enough to be the "good leg" to support recovery of #2. So I often overdid on the mantra by elevating for long stretches to help eliminate the swelling. :snowman:

I'll be looking for your "other side" posts as you recover and prepare for #2!
 
Good Luck Lynn for your op on Monday. My OS suggested i get my right knee done in January after my left one was done in October. IIm just not as brave as you and want to recover from this one first. Im still very swollen and couldnt cope with another op just yet. will be watching your posts next week to see how you are coping. Take care.
 
Back
Top Bottom