Guest viewing is limited

THR Reanda on the other side!

Hi all, I just had to update that suddenly at 11 weeks I am doing SO much better. Not wanting to jinx anything, I have waited a week or so to see if my sudden improvement is shortlived - but my pessimism was unfounded as now at 11 weeks and 3 days I am able to walk considerable distances and am enjoying my longed for ambles to open Countryside. Completely unaided and feeling balanced and steady. Being in nature is so restorative, food for the soul.
Discomfort still exists but only to the extent that I acknowledged it then forget it. I am still careful with bending and lifting, do things slowly. But - round of applause - I now put my socks on without sockaid!! And - another round of applause - I've had a bath! And got out again. I was very weary of doing this, didn't want to do damage, or not be able to get out of tub.
These latest achievements have helped me in regaining independence and confidence which takes such a dip during this process. I will post again as to what improvements, if any, should crop up next.
 
Aaah....the staged happy return to normalcy.... building confidence and realizing "Hey, this really might have worked!":tada:
Getting back into nature was one of my goals too...and the forced sabbatical of early recovery seemed to make the trees look greener, the sky look bluer and ....the inclines a bit tougher:heehee:

Good to see things looking brighter.:SUNsmile:

New hips rock!:happyfeet:
 
Hi @Reanda wooohooo:cheers: I know what you mean-I was the same way! Way to go with the socks and bath! I’ve used a sock puller for so long and still nervous, about giving it up. Enjoy your countryside walks! I am so jealous of your weather. So much snow on the ground here and we are in for a multi day snow storm tomorrow:sigh:
 
Yay for baths :bath:
Yay for socks on without the sock aid :yay:
Yay for long walks :walking:
Yay, yay, yay…you’re on your way!
I will post again as to what improvements, if any, should crop up next.
Oh, there will be more. I just hope I don’t run out of emojis to use :wink:
Have a wonderful rest of the week!
 
Wonderful update! Great milestones achieved. I too am longing for the day when I will be enjoying some country rambling, so it’s very uplifting to read your post.
 
For a while, you don’t believe you’ll ever do anything normally again. Then **poof** it happens! Then you do the next thing and you go, “Wait! What?! I did that and I didn’t even think about it!” I’m still amazed and grateful. Congrats on this normalcy milestone. Blessings on many, many more.
 
Thank you all for your good wishes. Here in SE England the weather has been dry and bright this past week, still needing hats and gloves, but no snow yet, (which the grandkids long for!) so it makes it much easier for walking as I can continue wearing my Sketchers trainers bought for the purpose and the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn! I've reordered 2 more pairs and keep 1 pair for around the house for stability. Bodie'sMom - all that snow is precarious for walking! Although it looks pretty.
 
Hi all! In a couple of days it will be 3 months so time for an update! My euphoria of last update (10 days ago) has slightly abated as I seem to have taken a bit of a step back - I've returned to ice packs and pondering an ibuprofen. I have a throbbing ache at top of my thigh which is the thing that bothers me the most as it can be quite intense. I've also got some stabbing pains at incision site (I'm not too worried about these as although painful it disappears within couple of minutes). I have some discomfort all down my leg which is reminiscent of the early days post op but nowhere near as bad of course. It feels like the top of my (front) thigh is just not happy. Like it's complaining and won't settle into its new routine without a fight.
My activity level is not extreme but I guess things like climbing 30 steep steps and down again at a park 2 days ago and sorting out a storage cupboard at home (with lots bending and carrying of items) a week ago may not have helped. I walk a couple of miles most days but once or twice its been nearer to 4 miles, my hip didn't complain at the time of doing slightly longer walks and I absolutely loved it but perhaps its too much? Also putting on my sock and tying shoe laces feels clever but it does cause some strain so have gone back to the sock aid. Just for now till the area feels better.
Schools break for half term next week and I'm dearly wanting to take my grandchildren out and do some things they would love, they know I've got to be careful but at the moment I feel I've gone backwards in my recovery and feeling a bit fed up and wondering what I can do/not do? (if anything).
What a journey this is!
 
Just when you thought you were out it pulls you back in. It doesn't take much in the way of odd movements to upset the soft tissue in that area. Bending and carrying will definitely trigger a reaction. Walking on level ground never upset mine, but a lot of hills would early on. If you want some real setbacks try a weedeater or a ladder I can tell you they really do the trick in the early months. I can still upset mine doing odd movements like sliding and crawling around under a house all day.
 
What a journey this is!
Yes! With ups and downs -
[Bonesmart.org] Reanda on the other side!
I‘m guessing the steep steps, as not part of your daily routine, did it, along with the bending and carrying that went along with cleaning the cabinets. As long as the grandkids understand you’re not functioning at 100% and you trust they’ll go easy on you, with ice and rest over the weekend, you may be good to go!
Here’s a little info on sensations surrounding the healing incision -

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

A peaceful relaxing weekend to you. Feel better soon!
 
Just when you thought you were out it pulls you back in. It doesn't take much in the way of odd movements to upset the soft tissue in that area. Bending and carrying will definitely trigger a reaction. Walking on level ground never upset mine, but a lot of hills would early on. If you want some real setbacks try a weedeater or a ladder I can tell you they really do the trick in the early months. I can still upset mine doing odd movements like sliding and crawling around under a house all day.
Eman85 thanks for posting - setbacks are easy to do aren't they? Though yours top the list .
 
Layla thank you. I will have to reign myself back in a bit I think. Its hard when I feel good and have energy to do things. But my hip obviously isn't healed up enough yet for many of these things. Lesson learned. Have a good weekend yourself.
 
Reanda, don’t sweat it, too much. It could be anything. I bugged mine, just by getting out of my car 2 weeks ago! Couldn’t figure that one out. I just iced, took it easy for the weekend and was fine by Monday. Just ease yourself back into it, when you feel up to it. Not a setback-just a hiccup :)
 
Its hard when I feel good and have energy to do things. But my hip obviously isn't healed up enough yet for many of these things.
I can so identify with this! Never mind the physio etc, the hardest workout for me is exercising the patience muscle.

I hope some rest, ice and elevation will have you recovered enough to enjoy some special times with your grandchildren.
 
Hi Reanda, you are doing well, I am 3 and a half months out and I have pain that pops up out of no where. reading all the forums, I guess this is natural, anyway thats what the ortho said. I just get the trusty cane out. We will survive.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Reanda!
I hope you have a lovely week. :)
@Reanda
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom