THR Reanda on the other side!

Hopefully your fears are unfounded, Reanda. I’m sure waiting and wondering does cause anxiety. It’s hard to tell someone not to think the worst when we all tend to go to the bad place in our mind when dealing with adversity. While not a pleasant thought, if you were to learn you need a revision….saying that because I’m sure that is your main concern…you won’t be the first to have a surgery revised and you would get through it. Let’s hold onto hope that it won’t be necessary. With your appointment coming up in four days, I’d suggest you take it easy and abstain from whatever brings on pain.
Always know that we’re here for you and will continue to offer support and encouragement, so please lean on us when in need. You’re not alone here.
Prayers for good news at your appointment. :prayer::console2:
@Reanda
 
I’m so sorry to read that you are in this pain. I can understand how you feel. I think ( only my layman opinion) it won’t hurt, and might help, to do as little weight bearing as possible while you wait for your appointment. I do hope that the physiotherapist will have an answer for you. Possibly s/he could do something like move the hip while you relax, etc, which might provide some information.
 
Thank you Klassy, yes physio said she'd do some 'prodding and pushing'..!
I'm going to insist on an XRay which I asked for at 6 weeks but was not given. The surgeon himself doesn't appear, but he'll surely have to if there's a major issue. He's so busy catching up on waiting lists. He has a good reputation I've heard from several sources which is something. I'll cut right back on weight bearing as per yr advice it seems sensible. Enjoy your garden on this beautiful day.
 
I am so sorry you are still dealing with ongoing, worsening pain. I can understand how discouraging and worrisome this is for you. I think your insistence on an x-ray is wise. You need an answer for why this is going on. It seems logical to get an x-ray as a simple first line diagnostic. Whenever I went back to my OS with a complaint, the first thing he did before I even saw him was to get an x-ray to rule out any issue with the implants. It won't hurt anything to keep your physical activity to minimum while waiting for your appointment. I would also use any assistive devices you had available when up walking. Icing may help with the pain as well, just keep a cloth between your skin and the ice. Prayers for comfort in these next few days. We're here for you.
 
Hi Reanda,
so sorry, you are going through this. Glad you are pushing for an x-ray. Really hope you get some answers tomorrow.
Will be thinking of you:)
 
Well I had the hosp check today and thankfully they agreed to do an XRay. I saw a senior physio, part of the surgeons team, the lady I saw before. We looked at my XRay and she explained that everything looked normal, nothing out of place. I was perplexed as to why I was getting pain and she had no real explanation other than to say people vary in their recoveries and I should 'keep going and take pain killers'!
Half of me is relieved that nothing abnormal showed up but half of me is perplexed as to why I'm getting so much discomfort.
Maybe I am just one of those people who take a long time to recover and become pain free. This is a nuisance and a bit depressing but I'll put up with the discomfort if it's an upward trojectory, over the long term. So I'll 'keep going' as she suggested, and take those pain killers I suppose. Her recommendation was to continue with physical activities, and certainly don't hang around resting, use the hip!
My surgeon will get to see my XRay and if there is anything further he picks up I will be advised.
Oddly, after I came out of the appt, for the rest of the day my pain level diminished a bit, maybe it's psychological I don't know!
But just seeing my implant looking amazing and stable was reassuring if nothing else.
 
:wave:
Glad to see you got some reassurance today.
The mind can truly be our enemy and oft times when we are expecting different outcomes for different timelines, it can prove to be a formidable enemy.
Niggles at 5 months out that seem to be worrisome, uncomfortable and our hope that this surgery recovery will eventually be past tense...can certainly play on our serenity.

I hope you are able to relax and see how things go for the next few months...
If there is a real issue, it is unlikely to go away ..if it's normal recovery struggles ..they will certainly improve.

Hope you have a great rest of the week:flwrysmile:
 
Oddly, after I came out of the appt, for the rest of the day my pain level diminished a bit, maybe it's psychological I don't know!
Hmm, interesting! You know we’ve been navigating some awfully unusual times over the past two years and it’s been quite stressful for many as we’ve all heard time and again. I wonder if any of the many relaxation techniques could bring you physical comfort and peace. It is probably something the majority of us could benefit from these days.

Thankfully you’re feeling some relief and all appears to look as it should on x-rays. Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re progressing.
Wishing you comfort and permanent relief from the pain.
 
It’s good that you got the X-ray, even better that it showed everything bedded in properly.

I re-read your last few posts and noticed what you said about your gait and the angle of your foot. I’m wondering if your pain comes from your body having to re-align itself after the THR.
 
Klassy - yes that's what I wondered and I asked about my gait being off and demonstrated to her that my foot turns over a bit. She showed my pre op XRay from a year ago and said I'd probably been walking crooked for some time due to the deterioration and shortening of leg. And even though I have a new hip and the surgeon made adjustments to length it takes a long time for the body to adjust. She didn't say that's why I'm in pain just gave explanation about gait. It's the sharp pain inside my thigh that bothers me the most which is still here this morning.
As Mojo333 says if its something serious it won't go away - I hope to god it does go away.
I've got to decide whether to go ahead with a small holiday to northern Ireland!? Booked 2 months ago when I thought I was doing OK. In 10 days time and I'll be travelling alone, they won't refund or change dates. (unless I've got Covid!). Thinking I'll try to go.
Layla - yes body/mind connection is real and can take us in many directions, that's why I get out into nature as often as possible for mental soothing and the calming hormones it produces.
 
I only just caught up with your update from Thursday @Reanda. My goodness, that holiday will now be only a week away. I hope you have had some improvement and now feel able to go.

While obviously I hope for you that the pain you are experiencing does go away soon, I would also say that pain caused by non-serious problems, though it does go away, can take a long time to do so. That is to say, if the pain stays around, don’t assume it must necessarily be caused by something bad.

I agree totally with what you say about the healing power of nature. If I can just step out into the garden, breathe deeply and listen to the birds, instantly my mood lightens and everything seems better. (Of course then I have to go and try to recreate the hanging gardens of Babylon in one afternoon and put my back out! Must learn not to overdo it)
 
Ha.. No gardens of Babylon attempted here just yet. Had to employ someone to cut grass and do basic weeding...till I'm out the other side of this discomfort. The sharp pain has subsided so that's a result, but I'm still very sore and achy all over thigh which limits my activities. Surgeons office phoned to confirm he'd viewed my XRay and nothing abnormal with implant or bone and that my pain is therefore muscle or nerve related. Mentioning that some people don't take well to things being hammered into their bodies..I'm obviously one of those.
I'm hoping to make my little trip to Belfast next Sunday... A city I've always wanted to visit even if I have to use pain killers and walking stick...
 
Hi all, I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead with my trip to Belfast in 2 days and would appreciate any advice? The trip would involve air travel and a fair amount of walking, especially around the Titanic Exhibition. The soreness in my hip is still quite bad. I'm now wondering if it might be tendonitis? If so I should not surely be going on this trip? (despite loosing my money which is a bit galling!) My life at present is resting and icing and staying home in the hope I'll be able to go. I managed a walk for about an hour 3 days ago which set me back and resulted in pain. Researching symptoms of tendonitis I do get some, ie soreness radiating round whole hip area, groin, thigh, and slightly round to glute area. However I do not get the symptom of sudden pain when lifting leg and in fact the deep bone pain I was experiencing a couple of weeks ago has diminished.
My surgeon has simply said my XRay revealed nothing abnormal and pain is due to 'muscles or nerves'. I did not think to ask him about tendonitis. Hosp advice is to 'keep going and take pain killers'. Telling me 'you're walking OK'.
So I'm in a quandary, and if it is tendonitis I certainly don't want to impede my progress by doing something stupid. But I may be over thinking it.
 
This is a really hard decision to make. If it wasn’t that your trip was non refundable, I’d say don’t go.

But as it is, here is what I would be weighing up:
1. How big (to you) is the money already committed and not refundable? Is this a big expenditure that you can’t afford again any time soon? So worth maybe feeling a bit sore and sorry afterwards, as long as you can enjoy it at the time?

2. How much more is it going to cost you, eg transfers to airports, meals and excursions there, taxes, insurance… If you add it all up, would it be better to save this money now and spend it later when you can really enjoy it?

3. Can you get assistance, eg lift to and from airport not public transport, mobility vehicle at airport, plane seat with extra legroom and help with baggage, accessible room in Belfast, special treatment at the Titanic museum, etc. Don’t be proud, ask and they may be pleased to help you. If they say no, you will know in advance.

4. Would you be content just with the change of scenery of seeing Belfast, even if you are not up to museums etc? I had a short trip there a few years ago. I have great memories of something that wouldn’t require walking, which was a tour around some of the key sites of the Troubles with a knowledgeable local driving a taxi. (Maybe some would consider a bit intrusive/ghoulish form of tourism, but I found it fascinating to see those places that we heard about so often on the news and get at least one local perspective.)

5. Would it help to read up on “the fallacy of sunk costs” and apply mindfulness to your dilemma.

Fingers crossed for you that you reach a decision that you are comfortable with and that if you do go, it turns out brilliantly.
 
The soreness in my hip is still quite bad.
I managed a walk for about an hour 3 days ago which set me back and resulted in pain.
Sad to say this, but given the quotes above, I’d cancel. The money may be wasted either way. You can go and possibly be miserable, then feeling it was a waste of money. Or you can waste the money by staying home without the pressure to engage in activity that causes you discomfort or pain.

I find it encouraging that you’ve noticed improvement, but hope you will consider getting to the origin of the pain so it can be resolved and you’re able to move forward in peace and comfort. I’m sorry you’re still feeling as sore as you’ve described and that you’re faced with this decision. I think the fact that you’re questioning your plans says a lot also. Let us know what you decide and know we’re here for support when needed.

If you decide to go, I wish you safe travels and all the best!
 
Klassy - thank you for such a considered response. I did google 'fallacy of sunk costs'.... I get the point completely and your suggestions make total sense. There is still some indecision inside me as I have special assistance at airport and the museum has lots of seats dotted around and the Belfast tour is by bus, so my optimistic (and rather stubborn) side of me says 'why not?'.
My taxi is booked for tom midday. However flying off somewhere on my own with a painful hip resulting in a miserable time and even worse symptoms may not be a good idea. and Layla's words also reiterate this - (thank you Layla).
Whether I go or not I need to find out what's wrong with my hip and why I'm getting this horrid pain, but I've run out of ideas of where or who to ask next?
Should I wait another 2 weeks and if no improvement contact surgeons office again? He's said nothing abnormal but muscles or nerves may be cause. But offered no advice or further treatment. His senior physio who saw me both times did not examine me or do any physical assessment on me. Should I get a referral to another physio via my GP in order to try and get a diagnosis? Obviously someone really good who could work with muscular problems as that's what appears to be problem....
In 11 days I will be 5 months out.
 
Hi @Reanda . I just popped in wondering what you had decided about your trip. I’m hoping you have/will come to a decision that you are comfortable with.
Wishing you well
 
Last edited:
Hi Klassy, believe it or not I have still not decided!! I'm sitting here waiting packed and ready, but tired and I havnt even gone anywhere yet! Pain not too bad, taking pain killers, I honestly don't know if I'll get into that taxi at midday or not. I'll let you know. Thanks for asking.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom