THR Reanda on the other side!

Hello Reanda, Thanks for stopping by with an update.
Aside from the discomfort bordering on pain that you describe, you seem to be doing really well at 8 weeks post op.
On flipside I am still experiencing discomfort bordering on pain in my hip. Mainly groin and front of thigh down towards knee. I sometimes hobble and limp quite badly and the last couple of days resorted to a crutch indoors to take pressure off hip. It does help and prevents the hobble.

Wondering if this is in general, or after a particular exercise or activity? Try to pay attention to this, if you haven’t already. Also, it is advised you use an assistive device until you’re no longer limping and practice heel-toe walking. Don’t forget the power of ice even at 8 weeks post op. If you’re exercising, or attending PT, you may want to step back for a time and see if what you described resolves with ice and rest. Wishing you a peaceful weekend!
 
It’s quite likely hip tendons were cut and reattached during surgery, so it’s to be expected to feel discomfort and weakness in the groin and radiating from there. Just use your elbow crutch or stick when you feel it, it will go away eventually as everything strengthens. I personally wouldn’t stop exercising as I don’t know how you can rebuild any muscle strength you have lost without continuing to exercise. That‘s assuming your objective is to regain function, not just to remove pain.
 
Hi Layla, thanks for replying. I'm trying to work out what might be agrivating the hip, I do quite a lot of pottering around the house so I'm standing quite a lot, just ordinary chores. I don't do PT. I walk no more than a mile outside with a stick and that feels good especially to get fresh air. I've started to pop into shops for a browse and think I'm perhaps standing too much especially if I buy something and queue to pay. I would like to increase my general level of fitness by walking more and cutout some of the standing maybe? That's hard. I've let the icing slip so will get back to that. I'll do whatever it takes.
 
@Reanda sounds like you just switch immediately from using a walking aid to using nothing. Am I right? If so, the discomfort you are feeling is normal. That hip is now taking full weight and having to work more.

Please don't feel bad if you need to go back to using an aid. When we get tired often the limp comes back. Use a cane or crutch and then try walking without it for awhile the next day. Build up gradually.
 
It’s quite likely hip tendons were cut and reattached during surgery, so it’s to be expected to feel discomfort and weakness in the groin and radiating from there. Just use your elbow crutch or stick when you feel it, it will go away eventually as everything strengthens. I personally wouldn’t stop exercising as I don’t know how you can rebuild any muscle strength you have lost without continuing to exercise. That‘s assuming your objective is to regain function, not just to remove pain.
Hi Coddfish, I think you're right as surgeon did cut and reattach tendons. And I can feel a movement coming from that area. I also agree that my fitness and muscle strength is important, I'm feeling quite unfit! Thanks for your comments.
 
@Reanda sounds like you just switch immediately from using a walking aid to using nothing. Am I right? If so, the discomfort you are feeling is normal. That hip is now taking full weight and having to work more.

Please don't feel bad if you need to go back to using an aid. When we get tired often the limp comes back. Use a cane or crutch and then try walking without it for awhile the next day. Build up gradually.
Thanks Jaycey, advice gratefully received.
 
The walking and even pottering around the house is exercise that will slowly strengthen your muscles while letting the other soft tissues heal. your still at a recovery stage, not a rehab back to strength stage. That will come but rushing it is usually counterproductive. Happy healing @Reanda.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Reanda!
Hope you’re having a good week. :)
@Reanda
 
Hi Layla, thanks for your good wishes on my 2 month anniversary! I'm doing OK, getting out and about more, clocking up a couple of miles walking each day, sometimes without a stick and generally being more normal. I rest and ice when I get home to help with soreness and discomfort which comes after these activities. So I'm not finished with healing yet but getting my life back and hoping for further improvements and reduction in discomfort soon. Fingers crossed!
 
Hi @Reanda you are doing really well! I couldn’t walk outside, without a cane at 2 months and still use it, when I get tired. Your procedure was similar to mine, you with posterior and mine being lateral. We both had muscles cut and take a little longer to heal.

I felt, that I was starting to turn the corner, at 10 weeks. I think you will start to notice, that you are getting stronger, have a little less discomfort and walking better soon. It is a process though. Definitely not as quick, as I thought, but every little bit of progress, is so rewarding! We can do this:)
 
Not as quick as I thought Bodie'sMom either! Maybe it's the muscle cutting or maybe because I'm 74! Or maybe I'm asking a little too much of my body by slightly overdoing it - who knows. I take lots of supplements, eat very well and have managed to stay at normal weight. Let's see how the next 2 weeks go..
 
What I thought was a “slower” recovery was a combination of factors but mostly boiled down to unrealistic expectations. Part of that was just my general ignorance of what a joint recovery entailed and the OS and the team aren’t that great in filling in the blanks. Maybe they’re afraid of scaring us off! Lol. I’ve always prided myself on staying physically active and bouncing back from illness and injury but this was a completely different challenge. Of course, limping around and toughing it out for 18 months beforehand didn’t help. It is a balancing act, isn’t it? Letting the body heal from its controlled trauma while keeping the body moving enough but not overdoing is a feat in itself. I think one of the biggest lessons I learned was to not compare my recovery too much with others’. Time with a good dose of patience will definitely go a long way. You’re doing great. Just stay the course.
 
Thank you Hip4life. Yes it definitely is a balancing act. Not too much - not too little - searching for that elusive 'just right' (like Goldilocks ..).
I'll try to avoid comparisons and keep the faith.. and my patience.
But nice to know there are others like yourself who can empathise and have experienced similar.
 
Hi fellow hippies! 10 weeks and 2 days post THR. I'm pretty sure that I'm doing OK - I seem to have stopped worrying all the time about whether this or that is normal... Everything seems to be settling down. Pain in thigh and groin has diminished and can't be called pain any more. Long walks of 2+ miles cause aching and discomfort signalling me to stop (not always possible if car some distance away..) but that's my fault for pushing myself as I'm so keen to get my fitness back.
Sleeping on any side now doesn't hurt. I move about the house more quickly nd normally after those long weeks of being a 'snail'..
My scales have revealed I have put on 3 kilos (7lbs). I'm tall so doesn't show it but my clothes have begun to get tight!! So next step is to get back into my clothes... Haa.
So I'm still on the recovery journey and the hip still reminds me of what its been through, but I've turned a corner and feel so much more optimistic for the future and what I'll be able to accomplish.

Good luck to your journeys.
 
Woohoo! :happydance:Wonderful update, I love posts like yours above.
I seem to have stopped worrying all the time about whether this or that is normal.
The Best Feeling…and it’s going to get even better. I’m happy for you, Reanda. :)
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you’re doing.
 
Hi @Reanda, what a good feeling, eh:yahoo:So happy that you are doing well! It’s like getting a new lease on life! 7lbs won’t take long, at the rate you’re going!
 
Aw thank you Bodie'sMom. Just read your thread at 3 months, you sound so similar to me.. a step ahead (pun intended..). Ha. Now I can't wait till 3 months and maybe get rid of this last bit of annoying discomfort we'll see.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom