THR Reanda on the other side!

Happy Five Week Anniversary!
I think dealing with discomfort and even some pain is considered normal at only five weeks post op when you consider all our leg goes through during the surgery. Taking OTC meds so you’re able to remain comfortably mobile is okay. I felt a tenderness in the area surrounding my incision for quite some time. I’m wondering how often you’re icing and for how long each time? It doesn’t sound like your activity level is inappropriate at this point in the healing process, but you may want to try to dial it back for a week and see if you notice a difference.

It is advised you use an assistive device for as long as you’re limping. Also try heel-toe walking. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Consider writing down questions for your post op visit on the 29th. It’s easy to forget some of the issues you planned to address once the surgeon comes in and you begin conversing. Let us know how it goes.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season, Reanda!
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: @Reanda
 
Here is a visual on heel-toe walking -
1639236580030.jpeg
 
Hi Reanda,
You asked if incision and thigh pain is normal at ~5weeks. I can tell you that at about 10 weeks my incision decided to not just pinch, but to burn like fire. it was like a giant paper cut. That waxed and waned for maybe a week, then one day I realized the all the nasty sensations were gone. I think it was cutaneous nerves remembering that they had been sliced with a sharp object, and they decided to relive the experience before settling down.
As for thigh pain, mine was in the quad area. At my 3 month check up I asked the OS about it; he wasn't at all concerned and reminded me that "there is a lot of readjusting going on in there". I was a little concerned about my stem but OS told me that it was higher up in my leg. And now 11 days later, that pain and soreness has gone away.
Be patient with all these oddball aches, twinges , pains, and sore spots. Expect them to show up without an invitation, and to leave without saying goodbye. They're just rude by nature! And at some point they'll be gone for good.
Wishing you happy healing :yes:
 
Thank you Layla and Subie for your very helpful comments. Really appreciated.
 
6 weeks post op on Xmas day! It feels like a huge milestone...I decided to drive the 30 mile round trip to my daughters house, I did a couple of small trips to test myself and put a cushion on seat to elivate and managed the pedals OK (it's a manual car) although getting in and out is not easy as I'm still doing hip precautions at least till I've had my first check up in 2 days time. '6 weeks recovery ' is what you read about and get told! Friends said oh you'll be recovered by Xmas! Mmmm... Well I am recovered partially but by no means recovered enough to go about my daily activities pain-free. I sound a moaning minnie but it does get depressing to be feeling discomfort day after day mainly because all I feel like doing is to sit on my recliner as then there is no discomfort. I go for my little walks daily but my step counter rarely gets beyond 1000 steps as more than that it really hurts. Yesterday I ventured by car to a lovely park and walked a bit longer than usual. Suddenly a pain occurred in the butt area so I immediately stood still. The pain subsided later but surely was a warning not to tackle uphill slopes which I encountered on this walk. Message to self: don't walk up hill!!
Another new thing is a slight movement/shifting and clicking noise from my hip joint when I walk. It doesn't hurt. Its a bit disconcerting and doesn't happen all the time wondering what it could be? I hope I get an Xray on Wed as will feel so much better knowing everything is sound and secure. And as was helpfully suggested on this site to ask consultant questions I have never had chance to ask about my operation. Good luck everyone!
 
6 week wonders are the exception not the rule. We've all heard the stories and it gets you down when you think about the stories while you still have pain. You're doing fine and all that you're experiencing most of us have gone through. The one thing most of us don't realize about this recovery is the mental ups and downs that go along with the physical ones in recovery.
Unlevel ground is really rough on a new hip, I learned that the hard way with my first THR. I also had the clicking sound with both hips. The left did it while walking, the right did it when I did a motion like a heel slide. It's disturbing as the first thoughts are something has come loose. Turns out it was just tendons moving as everything found it's proper place as it healed. It all went away and never returned. As far as walking goes I again was a slow learner but figured out that proper form was more important than distance and speed.
 
“6 weeks recovery“ is what you read about and get told! Friends said oh you'll be recovered by Xmas!

You may be feeling a lot better and have good mobility, but there is still healing going on below the surface. You’re not a Moaning Minnie, this recovery takes a lot out of you emotionally as well as physically. While unpleasant at times it is normal as are the noises that occur as the soft tissues and muscles tighten around the joint again. It will dissipate in time.
All the best with your appointment in two days. I’m sure you’ll receive the reassurance your hoping for that all is well and you’re making good progress. Let us know how it goes,
Happy Monday!
 
Hi @Reanda,, as Eman pointed out, the mental aspect beforehand, doesn’t even cross your mind. But it sure plays head games with you afterwords. I was and am like you, just 3 weeks later.

I’ve had to reset, my expectations and goals, 3 times already. It is so hard to celebrate the smaller accomplishments, like driving, which is actually a big one, when all you want to do, is walk normally again, without pain.

I think, you will feel a lot better, after your appointment on Wednesday. :)
 
I just had my 6 week hospital checkup (6.5 wks). I didn't see my surgeon as he's on holiday but I saw a very experienced senior PT. She got me to move my leg in different ways - nothing too strenuous - she checked incision, then we had a good chat about expectations of recovery versus reality. She emphasised the first 6 weeks are recovery from operation and not recovery per se. She sees many patients at my stage and can confirm that many still take analgesics and still have discomfort and pain. She pointed out (nicely) that I gave permission for the surgeon to hack at my body and bang things in - and that the muscles all around the area are trying to realign themselves around the new device. The movement and clicking sensations are in fact (as has been mentioned on this site) tendons realigning around the new structure. She watched me walk across the room in my rather zombie/limpy way, (which has bothered me) and explained the reason is that the muscles on operated side are yet to firm up sufficiently to create stability and symmetry, and also that the new socket with its liner slightly lengthens the leg in contrast to its worn out pre op state. Hence the body needs time to adjust and balance. Everything she said is virtually identical to the advice given on this forum. So I'm mightily relieved and felt so much better I took myself off for a little shopping trip to celebrate.
The only questions she was unable to answer were specific to my operation as my notes had not been transferred from the private hosp where I was operated to the NHS. So she will request that to happen. I wanted to know the degree of osteoporosis that the surgeon told me he had found? And if I need a bone scan? So I'll wait for this info and decide what to do about that. The physio assured me however that even with a degree of bone thinning the prosthesis should stay put as it is covered in glue before insertion to create a secure fit in the femur. All very interesting and reassuring as I was worried about that too.
Apologies for this long update but thought some of it may be of interest to others.
I do not receive further checkups. Unless I have an issue. So it's up to me to proceed with some caution adhering to hip precautions for a little while longer but gradually doing more and more and once I can reach my toes without any strain put my own socks on! (I can't manage that yet).
But today I feel optimistic despite rain and wind outside! Haa.
 
:wave:@Reanda
Glad to hear you got some great feedback and reassurance from your checkup.:happydance:

. She emphasised the first 6 weeks are recovery from operation and not recovery per se
Oh, so simply said - and true!

Hence the body needs time to adjust and balance. Everything she said is virtually identical to the advice given on this forum
:) :-) (:

So it's up to me to proceed with some caution adhering to hip precautions for a little while longer but gradually doing more and more and once I can reach my toes without any strain put my own socks on! (I can't manage that yet).

This can take sometime
Tightness is still prevalent at this stage. You will get there....
Keep doing what you are doing...listening to your body... and there are loads of improvements to come!:friends:

Glad your mood is sunnier than the weather:SUNsmile:
 
@Reanda - Thanks for sharing this helpful update. It does sound reassuring! Like you and others, I’m noticing clicking. The realignment of tendons makes good sense. As does the reality that these are processes that take time! I also find your PT’s distinction between recovering from the surgery itself vs recovery per se very illuminating. Best to you in the recovery journey ahead!
 
No apologies necessary for a thorough update. Thanks for taking the time. I’m sure many will appreciate your post and benefit from the words of your surgeon’s PA. Thankfully it brought you reassurance that you’re doing well and progressing as you should.
Hip hip hooray! :yes!:
@Reanda
 
@Reanda that is awesome! If you look at my thread, at the same time frame, my PT, pretty much said the same thing! Made me feel better too. Such a relief, to know, everything you are going through, is normal progression and It will only get better :)
 
Aw... Thank you Mojo, Layla, Seattle and Bodie'sMom. Knowing someone is out there is like ringing up a friend or colleague. Your responses are much appreciated.
 
That is such good news! really liked reading the long response you put up, and it's very much appreciated for those of us who are about to go in. Learning from all the info you are posting. Super happy to see you are doing so well. Looking forwards to seeing how you keep progressing.
 
Glad you got the reassurance you needed from your checkup @Reanda. In my experience 8 weeks was a significant point in recovery, when the last of the remaining limp went away. My husband says I do still tend to hurry the other leg through, which is probably a remnant of several years of favouring the other leg.
 
That is such good news! really liked reading the long response you put up, and it's very much appreciated for those of us who are about to go in. Learning from all the info you are posting. Super happy to see you are doing so well. Looking forwards to seeing how you keep progressing.
Thank you Polarice, and good luck for your operation in January.
 
Glad you got the reassurance you needed from your checkup @Reanda. In my experience 8 weeks was a significant point in recovery, when the last of the remaining limp went away. My husband says I do still tend to hurry the other leg through, which is probably a remnant of several years of favouring the other leg.
Hi Coddfish, I am looking forward to losing the limp and throwing away my remaining crutch. Nice to see you doing so well.
 
8 weeks tomorrow since RTHR (Posteria approach). How I would love to say that all discomfort and pain has gone - I am still dreaming of this and I know it will come if I can just hang in there be patient, not overdo it and not 'underdo' it either.
Since the advice given at my hosp checkup 10 days ago I have increased my activities and started to reduce adherence to hip precautions, ie I am now bending to pick some things up from floor.. slowly.!. I am sitting on normal height seats, I am climbing easily into bath tub to access shower (no actual bath yet which I'm also dreaming of). I'm driving and have removed cushion from drivers seat, I'm sleeping on either side although op side not comfortable for too long. The 6 week checkup advice was to gradually do more including to reach toes without straining, I can't do that yet. So the sock aid, dressing stick and grabber still in use. My use of crutches has almost gone, but on outside walks I now take a stick. I treated the grandkids and myself to a pantomime at a local theatre which was my biggest accomplishment so far! On flipside I am still experiencing discomfort bordering on pain in my hip. Mainly groin and front of thigh down towards knee. I sometimes hobble and limp quite badly and the last couple of days resorted to a crutch indoors to take pressure off hip. It does help and prevents the hobble. But feel this is a retrograde step. I do rest in my recliner for numerous hours a day in an effort to help healing. And hopefully to offset activities that may be irritating hip. I do housework and all the necessary things at home by myself as I live alone. Being alone, especially through the latest wave of Covid where people are keeping away from each other, has been difficult, quite solitary and with my own motivations to keep me going each day which pain wise is taking longer than i had supposed, especially compared to others, which of course I try not to do and many are suffering so I have every sympathy.
Am I doing too much? Anything else I should or should not be doing? I am aware of the dislocation aspect being a risk (according to the Forum chart) for up to 17 weeks nd wondering if this chart is up to date?
Happy new year to all and good luck in your recoveries.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom