THR Reanda on the other side!

Read this article again Energy drain for THRs. Very early days for you. Please don't try and push through activities.
Thanks, it really makes sense when I read this. I've upped my nutritious eating and eating more often and also restricting activity for time being. I want to give this 'baby' all it wants...smile.
 
Bless your daughter to be there for you. It always helps to have a helping hand the first few days especially. We are the same age and I am impressed with your positive attitude.
Your progress will continue to improve on a weekly basis. Take it slow and if it hurts stop. So many try to rush heeling and it can end up in a set back. No rushing healing it takes up to 12 months for the whole body to adjust and heal.
It’s also important to eat well balanced meals our bodies need 2400 calories a day to heel. In my experience protien shakes are helpful and daily vitamins.
Remember to wear new shoes with good arch supports, it is very important to help your body adjust to the new implants. Walk in a good heel to toe gate and use Walker to build strength.
Sending healing vibes your way.
Hippielife - thanks for advice. I've started taking my vitamins again, I was told to stop them pre op. But think it's ok now although my multi Vit contains turmeric which thins blood so not sure I should take that whilst on blood thinners? Also contains Vit K2 which I believe has a coagulant effect? So it's rather confusing as to whether I should take these - what do you think? Obviously Vit C, D, Calcium is OK. And I'm also on the protein shakes - got a good one and mix with berries it's delicious. Store in fridge, and can sip now and again. In our 70s we need all we can get! Good wishes.
 
Hello @Reanda
Just to be safe, I think it would be best if you check with your surgeon, consultant or Primary Care Physician about your supplements for advice on when you can resume taking each of them. The protein shakes you mentioned sound yummy. I hope you had a nice week and enjoy the weekend. :wave:
 
Your protien smoothie sounds great. It’s always helpful to just take what vitamins are safe and needed. I’m surprised that your doing so well.
Chocolate always makes me feel better. Everyone has a secret sweet tooth.
Besides…… a lil surgery humor ..… Any chocolates/sweets/puddings eaten during your recovery period are deemed to be non-fattening - and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Any chocolates/sweets/puddings consumed between 5am & midnight have zero calories as they're made from fresh air!
 
Thanks I'll double check what vits or supplements are OK.
 
Chocs /puddings - what a relief I can eat these Hippielife.. Hee..
 
Day 8 update :I checked with pharmacist who said don't take turmeric or Vit K2 whilst on blood thinners. So I'll avoid for another 4 weeks. I seem to be doing really well. I'm on my own now with one of my daughters popping in when they can manage. I got my own dinner last night - admittedly it was simple but an achievement. I use 1 crutch so that I can pick up plate etc and move across to table so I can sit to eat. Just a few paces and it's easy and doesn't hurt. Hosp PT mentioned that people use 1 crutch for this purpose so I think it's safe enough. Otherwise I use 2 crutches around the house. A friend came to visit yesterday so nice to chat it made me feel normal. She watered my patio plants for me!
Bruising and slight swelling of my leg and knee. The whole leg is sore but not excessively so. I elevate on my recliner all the time whilst sitting and ice 3 or 4 times a day.
Only 1 issue cropped up - awful heart burn yesterday. Really painful for 15 mins sat up from recliner slightly panicked. Ibuprofen and blood thinners can cause this sometimes. I always take ibuprofen with food but maybe should take the stomach protectors as well? I hope that doesn't happen again.
Pain is manageable and has changed slightly to a more general soreness and ache rather than downright pain.
I'm keen to get outside in the air so may take a small walk whenever someone visits and can accompany me (not ready by myself yet). All the best to recovering hippies!
 
awful heart burn yesterday
I would suggest you ask your pharmacist or GP about stomach protecters. Ibuprofen can be very hard on the stomach.

Sounds like you are doing very well! Hope the weather is better there than it is here - rain and nasty winds.
 
Thanks Jaycey.
Will do. Deceptively sunny here in SE where are you?
 
I am in East Yorkshire right on the North Sea coast. Wild weather and getting very chilly.
 
Post op I was advised to take an aspirin a day for blood thinner. Along with the aspirin the OS advised for me to take a Famotidine to protect my stomach. Ask your OS about taking something to protect your stomach. Did they recommend Ibuprofen?, some say it's not good for bones.
 
Hi @Reanda Spire Portsmouth prescribed one Omeprazole a day to protect the stomach whilst regularly taking ibuprofen They only gave me a week’s supply but I found I needed to stay on ibuprofen for longer than that. You can get it on prescription but it’s also available over the counter in UK pharmacies.
 
Thanks. I was in Spire also. They only gave me 5 Omeprazle and indicated it wasn't that necessary as long as I have ibuprofen with food I should be OK. I think not. But I've decided to cut back on Ibuprofen and halfed the dose to 3 tabs per day whilst still taking paracetamol. This has resulted in only minor increase in pain level which has not stopped my mobility (at present!). So I'll see how that goes, and if the acid reflux stays away.
 
Post op I was advised to take an aspirin a day for blood thinner. Along with the aspirin the OS advised for me to take a Famotidine to protect my stomach. Ask your OS about taking something to protect your stomach. Did they recommend Ibuprofen?, some say it's not good for bones.
Eman85 thanks for posting, they recommended ibuprofen for short term pain relief post op. I didn't know it's bad for bones.. Interesting you were advised to take a stomach protector with the aspirin - I wonder if my blood thinner is causing the heart burn? Hosp said today that heartburn (acid reflux) is more likely to be caused by ibuprofen. I'm not good with drugs and can't wait to come off them.
 
I used NSAIDS for years before my THR's and was aware about their effect on the stomach, used them sparingly.
For pain relief once past the initial prescription pain killers I relied on ice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Eman85. I read the article you sent. And also googled effect NSAIDs have on bone healing. Its the Cox 2 inhibitor contained in these drugs that can cause bones to heal less well but the science is somewhat mixed. I'm grateful to have this info though, as the consensus seems be that ibuprofen and similar drugs are not ideal for bone healing although excellent for pain relief. I'm coming off ibuprofen completly and will use ice as you did. And take paracetamol when required. I'm still on blood thinners for 3 more weeks and will have to stick to that!
 
Thank you for your Ibuprofen words. I have taken exactly two pills of this stuff before…found it extremely good and put it away for surgery in case of desperate need!

Looks like I will be given paracetamol and maybe anti inflammatories…and I have declared romdoc that I will take ibuprofen…which he was horrified about. Not that I am making a decision…but that it’s ibuprofen! When I ask…because I have come across this horror face reaction from doctors before…they say it does so much damage to your stomach. Ok but surely not after 2 weeks max!!

I have read the two can be taken together.

I am just not sure of the two will be enough though. Hard to know until you are in the situation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom