THR Readysetgo Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hipster Girl - Yes that back of the leg pain was really a surprise. I expected recovery #2 to be different but somehow didn't think it'd be pain in a totally new place.

I'm glad you got a massage and are taking good care of yourself. Your weekdays sound a bit stressful! I hope this week sends some fresh job opportunities your way and the training of new staff at your company goes smoothly. :flwrysmile:
 
do get worried because I have some off and on burning sensations in my stomach area like I had last time after vomiting so much post op
Your GP can give you meds to counteract any stomach irritation. Mine prescribed omeprazole (an anti-reflux med) along with diclofenac. I didn't really need it but many people take the two meds together.
 
@Miss Muffet - I just lost a post I was writing to you here. First time that's happened to me! Let's see if I can recreate it. Apologies if this gets repeated!

You are so super organized! I'm really impressed. You are going to be the best informed THR patient ever!

By the way, what is a diagnostic hip injection? I'm curious. I didn't have one of those.

Yes Bonesmart is truly the best, isn't it? :)

Hope your weekend was wonderful Miss M! :flwrysmile:
 
@Readysetgo :hi: - my GP disagreed with my opinion when I said I had a problem with my hip. She said it was my spine, but the spinal specialist she referred me to had X-Rays taken which led him to believe it was my right hip which caused me the pain (my view from the start!). The corticosteroid injection into the hip joint was to diagnose whether this was the source of my pain. If the pain disappeared, or reduced at least, then it confirmed that my GP was barking up the wrong tree. It DID help for several months, but then the pain came back, so I ended up seeing my current surgeon and the rest is (or rather will be) history
BTW I take omeprazole and it works fine for me
 
@Readysetgo, I hope you are feeling good this Monday morning. :) Day 10 seems like a good target date for when things start to smooth out. You're generally over those very early day issues and are beginning to feel a bit more settled.
Thank you for the nice wishes for the weekend. It was lovely here, very mild weather. There is definitely a feeling of renewal in the air. I hope that is true up in your neck of the woods and that it helps you as you go through your recovery journey. :flwrysmile:
 
@Miss Muffet - Thanks for the injection explanation. Sorry your GP sent you up the wrong tree. That's frustrating! Did you change GP after that? Glad the shot worked well for you for awhile. But now you are really on your way to obliterating that old hip pain! :yes!:

@Arlene56 - Thanks for your post. I read on your thread that you are swollen like a "leg of lamb". LOL! Me, too! Just in time for Easter.
I'm having a better day today and yes, figuring things out a bit more. Hope your recovery day 7 is showing some progress as well. :yes:

@DeepBreath - I AM feeling better today. My stomach feels almost back to normal now and appetite is returning. I had a yummy lentil soup last night (one of my chef sister-in-law's yummy concoctions!) It had other veggies in it and was very warming. My husband hates lentils but he loved that soup! This made my sister-in-law very happy.

The pain is slowly decreasing now. It was just worrisome that the pain and swelling increased in those earliest recovery days.

I'm having a cozy Monday. It's chilly and rainy but I don't mind. I'm cuddling with the kitties and feeling calmer about everything. We did have some whisper of renewal and spring in the air here recently. Glad you had a good weekend!

I'm curious how your PT goes on Tuesday.

Hope you have a good Monday, too! :)
 
@Readysetgo - didn't swap. She's part of a group practice. I went on to do all my research, interviewed anyone and everyone who had had hip surgery then went back, saw a different Doc and asked to be referred to the surgeon of my choice ... Bingo!
 
Day 7 Recovery #2 Hip-

I feel better today! It seems the pain is decreasing a bit. It worried me in those earliest days when the pain and swelling worsened with each day.

PT came today. He treated me for Hip #1 as well. "Deja vu!" he said when he came through the door. I like him. He's very experienced, grounded and sensitive with a good dose of humor.

I told him about the increased pain and swelling this time. He noticed the swelling but said that was more normal; that I'd just been lucky to have very little swelling with hip #1. He thought the increased pain and sciatic inflammation might have been because the OS told me there were a lot of bone spurs and just getting those out took a lot more work/invasion so there could be more pain afterwards. He thought the pain down the back of my leg would eventually disappear as I heal.

My other concern was my low red blood count due to blood loss.
I had checked and compared all my bloodwork online. And they had prescribed iron pills this time. Plus I had been experiencing some unusual shortness of breath and lightheadedness, which I read are signs of anemia. My PT saw my bloodwork on his laptop and agreed they were low counts, though not low enough to warrant a transfusion. Before he took my vitals, he predicted my blood pressure would be unusually low for me and pulse rate high because of the low red blood count. He was right! My BP was 98/70 and pulse in the 90's somewhere. Said it had to do with low blood volume so heart pumps faster. I didn't order the iron Rx. I've heard creepy things about ferrous sulfate, think I might've taken it before a long time ago. I tend to be slightly on the anemic side. Plus I read it can constipate you. I don't have problems with that but I don't want to induce it either! PT thought I should try it and back off if side effects are too much.

PT said my range of motion for so early was very good so that was a comfort. He told me to stick with the walker for stability now until the lightheadedness gets better.

So I did order the iron. I'll give it a try. Plus I am eating iron rich foods like black strap molasses, prunes, raisins, beets, spinach, etc.. I also requested my GP to order me Diclofenac, an NSAID that Jaycey had suggested instead of the Ibuprofen to help more with the inflammation causing the pain. The pain and swelling gets much worse by late afternoon and evening. I guess that's typical.

So I'm hoping to get my pain med cocktail just right soon. Stomach feels better and appetite returning. Hoping to get my blood count up sooner rather than later. I'm feeling more optimistic now. And I'm sleeping much better than last time. I took a sleeping pill for 3 nights initially but no longer and thankfully I'm able to sleep quite well at night. Last time with hip #1, I would only sleep an hour or two at a time, wake up for awhile, then repeat - for weeks!

Hope everyone is having a good day - or night if that's the case. Cheers to us all! :yay: :cheers: :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Readysetgo - sounds like you are doing well. Glad you like your pt. I think that makes a difference. I have been anemic in the past. I had to take iron a bit-it wasn't that bad. It did cause constipation though.

I am debating whether or not to take a shower. I have a waterproof bandage. The hesitation is due to when I had a Csection, the incision became infected. It was very painful. So just very cautious. Tomorrow a nurse is coming by to change my bandage.

Have a good rest of the day. We are supposed to get some bad storms tomorrow here in Chicago. So it will be a nice day to nap and so word searches. :yes:
 
Hi @Readysetgo, I just finally caught up with your thread. I have a feeling if you rest rest rest you will continue to heal. I didn't have the swelling, but some of my friends did. To me, if there is pain that is a sign that you are doing too much. Sometimes I had to ice in the middle of the night. It was usually if I had added some physical activity. I wouldn't feel it at the time, but would pay for it later. It's weird how there is a delayed reaction after THR. Glad to hear that you are eating such a healthy diet. It will get better with time.
 
@Arlene56 - I hope you are snuggling and cozy with the stormy weather. I did hear it was coming your way. I find it easier to relax if the weather is kind of gray sometimes.

I understand your hesitancy about showering, especially after your C-section infection! I'm also reluctant to shower - just vaguely fearful of 'things going wrong'. I waited a week last time. I'm hoping to be brave enough to step in there tonight! I know I'll feel better afterwards. Maybe after the nurse changes your bandage today you will feel more confident to shower?

I took an iron pill today. I'm going to do more research to see if there's an alternative that won't cause constipation. PT said a supplement will help speed up the renewal of red blood cells more quickly than just the iron rich foods alone.

Enjoy your restful rainy day! :sleeep:
 
Okay @Hip Hip Hooray! - I am going to take your suggestion and - rest, rest, rest. I haven't slept during the daytime since I've come home and that would probably help. Interesting you had no swelling.
I had practically none as well with my hip #1 so the pain and swelling with this hip #2 is a bit frustrating.

I can't help but wonder how hip #2 would have turned out if the OS who did #1 did this one also. I was told the approaches were the same, but afterwards it was clarified that hip #1 was anterior lateral minimal invasion (or something like that.) And hip #2 was anterior something or other, but not minimally invasive. ??? So is that maximally invasive? I still need more clarification. It's confusing. Plus having 2 surgeons for the 2 hips I can't get a relative comparison of them. I know, spilled milk, but I still think about it.

Did your friends who had the swelling with their THR's recover okay? I'm curious.

I do ice at night as well as elevate. I change the ice packs in the middle of the night. I ice and elevate about 90% of the time I am resting. I usually eat pretty healthfully but now am being very deliberate about eating nourishing foods. I don't want to keep being a fainting risk with these 2 new hips! :no-fin:

Thanks for your suggestions! I do hope your day is going great. And happy knitting to you! Hope the beautiful sweater is back on track. :flwrysmile:
 
I had lots of swelling when I came out of hospital. I could hardly bend my knee. My husband went and bought me a Revitive circulation booster. You sit with your feet on it, it's a kind of TENS machine. It worked amazingly! The swelling has all gone now and feels so good. I still use it every day, I'm sure it helps with the healing.
Here's a picture -
[Bonesmart.org] Readysetgo Recovery




RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Hi @Simplieme! Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will definitely investigate that. Glad to hear your swelling is gone. I'm wondering - Did you have pain with the swelling, too or just the swelling? Thanks again and I hope your day is going well! :)
 
Glad to try and help you. Yes I did have pain with the swelling. Even my ankle hurt. I had difficulty getting in and out of bed because I couldn't move my swollen leg by myself. I can't tell you how good it felt when the swelling went down

Pam


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom