THR Readysetgo Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777- Sorry so late in responding and MIA. So sweet of you to check in! The Readysetgo household has been in overwhelm mode lately. I'm hoping things will calm down some now...

Day 22 THR #2 Recovery

I was supposed to have OS take my staples out on Day 20 of recovery. My PT urged me to have them out sooner so I arranged to see a nurse at the office on Day 17. I realized this might be better than seeing OS who would probably just shrug away my questions as usual.

When I first met OS for #2 surgery I asked how he was different in his approach to my #1 hip OS. He said it was exactly the same except different prosthesis. (I have my saved notes to prove this.)

Well I found out from nurse this wasn't true and he had used posterior approach, not anterior lateral like #1 OS! If I had KNOWN this I wouldn't have been so freaked out that it felt totally different- with pain in butt and running down the back of leg and in general, more pain than #1 after surgery. I would have consented to the posterior approach, knowing that outcomes are similar. But it was just worrisome to feel so differently and not know why. (And yes, I know it might have felt differently even if it had been the same approach.)

But movement is coming along well. Sciatic type pain has really subsided and I'm sleeping better. I walk mostly without any aids inside but because there's still stiffness with newly op leg and some limping, I grab one crutch occasionally. I use the walker (with my new pink walker tray - woo-hoo!) to transport meals and stuff around the house. I take walks outside with my cane when it's not too rainy or cold. Swelling is there but much less. Feels good to have staples out.

Low blood pressure and hemoglobin must be improving because I feel less short breathed and less malaise just recently. The nurse I spoke with really emphasized getting that hemoglobin up in order to feel more "like me again." It was at 9.1 at last blood drawn in hospital. Normal is 12.1-15.1. I'm eating tons of iron rich foods, Vit C and B's. Ordered a new natural iron and herb supplement that is more organic (ferrous gluconate) than the prescribed iron (ferrous sulfate) I was given.

Husband got laid off day job on March 18th. He had been the last to be hired, only been there 4 months. Our health insurance was immediately terminated so we spent the next Monday on the phone scrambling to get our old insurance back pronto. Took some finagling but finally was set up. Husband has work privately and freelancing now but it's still scarey not having the real steady paycheck. And me not working until May or June. Not to mention losing the excellent health insurance that actually covered acupuncture. *Sigh*

Then my car needed new part(s) just to keep running. As @Cynthia777 would say - "Ca-ching!" $$. And then one of our kitties has been in and out of vet the last few days, treated for constipation, then wouldn't eat. Had to force feed. Back to vet for expensive bloodwork (which was normal) and appetite stimulant med. Ca-ching! $$ again. She finally ate some on her own when we brought her home. So relieved. She's less lethargic and grooming herself again which is a good sign. We're hoping she'll pull through this. So stressful. :mooncat::sad:

In spite of everything going on, we had a nice little Easter together (husband, daughter and myself) - a very yummy dinner on white tablecloth and fancy dishes, Easter eggs and lots of chocolate. And we hadn't seen the wild bunnies in our yard for months, but they were out in full force and nibbling away on Easter Sunday!

I thought Bonesmart forum had fallen into a black hole forever! So relieved it's back up and my BS buddies are still there. I'll have to check up on you guys and do some posting soon. :phone:

Hope everyone is having a good week so far. And that you all had a peaceful and lovely weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh dear me! You are going through the fire girl! Lots of prayers sent your way. Sometimes I just don't get these doctors! It seems many lose their compassion and are so out of touch with their patients. All that added worry that you didn't need! I'm so sorry you've had such misfortunes happening, but am happy to hear how well you're coming along with your hip...better things for your coming days! :prayer:
 
Golly, life loves to throw us some curve balls, doesn't it! Glad to see you can do some walking unassisted, that will be so nice after my hip two in May.

I will pray that your husband is able to find something he likes to do that pays well! Thanks goodness you were able to get insurance coverage back! That must have been a frantic moment when you realized you were without insurance,

I hope nothing else too crazy happens! Hang in there!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Really sorry you've had a string of troubles and am cross about your seemingly disinterested OS. Sometimes it seems things pile up one by one, then gradually they improve one by one. Pray this will all come good for you soon - and so pleased to hear about your happy family Easter
 
Wow...you have been through a challenging time. No wonder this hip was so different. That's so strange that you weren't told which approach you were having. Sometimes as the saying goes, "When it rains, it pours." I hope that your kitty is doing better. That's excellent news that you got new health insurance. I'm really sorry about your husband losing his job.

It sounds like your hips are healing. Thanks goodness the surgery is complete. Your Easter sounds like it was delightful. All the Best...
 
@Cynthia777- Thanks for your prayers my friend. I'm still upset about the lack of communication from my OS #2 - not only about finding out I had posterior approach on day #17 of recovery, but also why nobody mentioned I had lost a lot of blood and my hemoglobin was way low. I had to look it up on my chart online to see for myself. No wonder I almost fainted on Day 2 in hospital when I got up to do PT.
Okay what's done is done. But I need to decide what to say to Dr. Shrugitoff when I see him for follow up in a few weeks. I wouldn't ever go to him again. Even if my hip #2 heals up just fine.

@jomarie58 - I'm excited for you getting #2 hip done in May! It does feel like I can finally start to heal in an integrated way now. Thanks also for your prayers that nothing else crazy happens. Very much appreciated!

@Miss Muffet - Take it from me and make sure you get all your questions about your surgery answered clearly and honestly. (No matter how much they roll their eyes.) Thanks for your good wishes that things will look up from here. I certainly hope so. I did have a nice Easter. I hope yours was great, too!

@Arlene56- Yes it was a relief to get insurance right away. It took a lot of phone calls, explaining and insistence, but it got done thank goodness. My husband does have some various work now freelancing. Hopefully it will be steady even if it isn't a firm full time position per se. Fingers crossed. I hope you enjoyed your Easter, too!

@Hip Hip Hooray!- yes, when it rains, it pours indeed! I keep looking for the next awful shoe to drop, but I think things are calming down now.
It is strange that OS #2 never mentioned the word "posterior". He said the surgery would be exactly like OS #1 except for a different prosthesis! They shared an office! Now either he was being careless with his words or outright dishonest. I don't know. I was really shocked when the nurse said I had posterior approach, but then everything made sense to me. I had anterior lateral approach with #1 so the incisions looked similar to me.
But my hips are healing and I'm on my way. I can't get too caught up in resentment at this point. I'm moving well for where I am in recovery.
Kitty is doing better today, thanks. She is eating but I am giving her water with a dropper so she doesn't dehydrate. She may have some terrible underlying problem but today she seems comfortable. I am still worried about her and am watching her carefully. Just very stressful.
Thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm hoping easier times lie ahead. Grateful for what I do have - including 2 new hips! Can't wait to see how they unfold and heal.
 
Lesson learned here is to get copies of ALL your medical records AND ask a lot of questions (DO NOT ASSUME, as I have too often done)!!!! I'm very dismayed at our health care providers, I mean, I still have not received a call from the first specialist giving me the results of a PET Scan and he's had them for at least a week now (gosh, or is it two weeks)!
One of the five OS's I consulted with, had a YouTube video explaining why the anterior approach is better than the posterior approach (much debate over this topic), so I drove over two hours to see him. I scheduled my THR and about ten days later I was on the phone with his assistant and mentioned how happy I was about getting the anterior. Suddenly there was a pause and she said he doesn't do the anterior approach! I asked her why he did a video on all the advantages if he didn't do them? She then proceeded to tell me that was just an advertising video for the surgery center and other surgeons use the approach! See, don't assume! :yikes:
 
@Cynthia777- You are so right about Do Not Assume! That's outrageous about that OS who showed you the anterior video but didn't do anterior! And silly me, assuming that when OS #2 said his approach was exactly like OS #1 except different prosthesis, that he actually meant he did anterior lateral approach just like OS #1! But NOPE! :hairpulling: He dug right into me doing his posterior thing, without me even hearing a whisper of "posterior"!

I find nurses and OT and PT therapists have seen the carelessness and lack of clarity and bedside manner with some drs. They encourage me to ask the questions I need answered and emphasize We are paying Them.

Have you gotten a call from that specialist about the PET scan yet? Ugh- the waiting! Will you have to hunt him down and surprise him in a dark alley to get your answers? :badspidy:
 
@Readysetgo, I am so happy that you are feeling better! Oh my goodness about all that you've dealt with lately though! From the noncommunicative surgeon to your husband's job situation and then the insurance and sick kitty....holy cow. That's enough to give anybody a headache!
I'm glad that you've gotten most of it sorted. You continue to be in my prayers and I hope your recovery continues to be steady. Hang tough, hippie friend! :flwrysmile:
 
@Readysetgo
Your experience is beyond outrageous!!!! I would have been madder than mad! I just wonder if not telling you was intentional...just saying.

The doctor who ordered the PET Scan has never called (another case of ineptitude)! I consulted with a new specialist who has given me the go ahead for surgery. For now I will be monitored with CT Scans every three months for the next two years. :-)
 
@Cynthia777- I know, right?! - the thought crossed my mind that OS suspected I would find another surgeon who would do anterior lateral if I knew he only did posterior. (Nurse who took my stitches out told me he only did posterior.) He knew on that first visit that I was "surgeon shopping" after my first surgeon told me he was resigning and I'd need to find another OS for second hip. Hmmmm......

Good for you for finding a new specialist. I'm so glad you have the go ahead for your #2 hip! Which dr. was the one with his meal still in his beard???? :old: :eeeuw:
 
It's all about the almighty dollar unfortunately! The doctor with his meal still in his beard is the one who ordered the test and has yet to call me with results! Ewwwwwwwwww is right on! When and if he ever calls I'm
going to...:bolt:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Readysetgo gosh I am so sorry to read about all the troubles you've been faced with recently. Sometimes life hits us with one thing after the other and that's tough to deal with under the best of circumstances but how much more so when this happens during recovery from THR when we really need to focus on healing.

I'm really sorry to hear your husband lost his job - it sounds like it happened suddenly so that makes it even harder. I am glad you were able to get insurance coverage back - that must have been a relief. Hang in there friend. Sending prayers that you will experience some relief from these circumstances soon. :praying:

Did I also read on another thread that you are expecting snow this weekend? Oh my, winter just won't end, will it?
 
Hip #2 Recovery Day 38 and Hip #1 Recovery Day 102!

Things have calmed down a bit in my household since my last post. Our sick kitty pulled through. The vet told me she really thought she was going and we'd have to put her down. So we are so grateful she's doing okay now. She gradually got stronger and slowly started eating again. So relieved. Very stressful having a beloved sick kitty in the house.

Hips are doing really well. Put all walking aids away last week. Haven't needed any of them for awhile. My concern is my #1 surgery side's knee is a little wonky. It has clicked on bending sometimes over the last year- with no pain at all, just a bit odd. But now it feels kind of "off track" or something. I know from BS that knees can do that after surgery with realignment with the new hip. I did get a bit nervous with horrible visions of knee replacements dancing through my head!! I went to outpatient PT today for first time since #2 surgery and PT doesn't think it's torn cartilage or anything serious. He noticed my ankle alignment was off (I sprained both ankles several times when I was a dancer). And he thought maybe that was pulling on the knee a bit, especially with new hip. He thinks it might just fade away if I continue to improve in strength and flexibility. It bothers me most when going downstairs. I made an appointment with OS about it. PT doesn't think they would do an MRI at this point, but perhaps an x-ray to see how knee joint is doing. We'll see. I really hope this glitch in recovery disappears and soon.

I told employer I could go back to work in mid May. So I told PT I need to be getting up and down from floor safely and with (somewhat) ease by then. I work with kiddos diagnosed with autism and other developmental delays, mostly under the age of 3. I also need to be really good with stairs by then because I go to families' homes with bags of toys, sometimes 2nd floor apartments.

I got invited to a pot luck event for our company soon and decided to attend. I hesitated, thinking they might look at me and think "Well you're fine. Why aren't you working again already?" But I feel so distant from the job, not having done it since December! I really wanted to reconnect, so I'm going. I'll matter of factly explain the usual time frame for going back to relatively physical work after hip replacement surgery. Just the way it is and I'm not going to push anything at this point.

I had bloodwork taken the other day at my GP to see if anything had improved. GP was concerned because my hemoglobin , etc. was so low due to blood loss. I saw results but haven't discussed them with GP yet. They are better but still below normal. So I guess I'm on the right track. I don't feel short of breath like before.

Husband has good freelance work now. But it still makes me nervous about not having that stable jobby-job pay check. However, it does create more flexibility so he can watch our daughter if necessary when I'm working and she's off from school that day. I'm staying positive about it all for now.

I can't wait to ride my bike outside again! And get back in the garden! And work with the kids again! And take long walks outside again! My recovery is really moving along well, in spite of the knee glitch. I am a bit antsy to get on with things. It feels like I've been in recovery forever now! But I know compared to so many others in this world, I am so incredibly lucky. So time to stop complaining and be grateful!

I love hearing about everyone's brave progress here on Bonesmart. Everyone's journey is so different and so special. Hope everyone's week is going great. :flwrysmile:
 
Having lost two within a few months of each other, I'm so happy your cat is doing well...heart wrenching! Hopefully your PT is right and your knee will correct itself quickly, so you can get back to your little ones pain free. As far as the company pot luck, maybe you should bring your walking aids and use them even though they're not needed...just saying :heehee:. Thankfully hubby has had the freelance work coming in, you don't need anymore worries than getting past your recovery period. You sound great and I'm so happy for you! Hugs girl! :friends:
 
@Cynthia777- I'm so sorry you lost 2 kitties within a few months! That must have been a double whammy to your heart. :boohoo:Our precious creatures!

You're funny suggesting I drag all my walking aids to the pot luck dinner with my company! I did think about bringing the cane, but decided against it. I want to be honest about how I'm doing (which is great so far, thank goodness!) Plus I know they hired a whole new batch of employees recently. Most of them will be in their early 20's. I don't want to give them any ideas that I'm not up to the job yet. I am one of the oldest people in the company working with the kids directly. When I was hired 2 years ago and had an intro session, I was there with 4 other gals under the age of 24! Since then only myself and one of the other young women are still there. It can be an intense, burnout kind of job. But I still love it.

I'm hoping to get x-rays of both knees if possible. Want to know what's going on in there. But if I'm not screaming in pain, I don't know if Dr. Shrugitoff will do anything (except shrug.) We'll see.

So I made a time for a private Pilates session with a woman who is also a PT. She has her own beautiful studio. I haven't seen her since before the THR's. She has a very keen eye and creative way of working with the body. She laughs and says Pilates is so much more effective than PT. And she IS a PT! I'm looking forward to the session- in 2 weeks.

My daughter is off from school this week and we're going to do some fun stuff - go to the movies and eat lots of popcorn, go to lunch with friends, checkout the consignment shops and malls, draw pictures together, get pedicures, etc..

I hope all my Bonesmart buds have a fabulous weekend! It is still windy and chilly where we live. They had predicted a cold April for us on the coast. I can't wait till it truly feels like spring! :flwrysmile:
 
Dr. Shrugitoff! :rofsign:

How fortunate you have a Pilates teacher who is also a PT! I'm so intrigued with the Pilates, but have never really looked into it. So many on BS have mentioned how much they love doing them. I'm going to learn more about them.

Your week of having a good time with your daughter is something I can't wait to do with my daughter. I've been a home body for much too long and have missed out sharing that special time with her.

Isn't it strange how using the cane makes you feel about 20 years older than you are? I feel that way and when I use the walker I feel 30 years older than I am! :heehee:
 
@Readysetgo , so glad to hear your kitty has recovered...you must be so relieved. :yes:
That is great news that you were able to put all walking aids away now. :yes!:I hope it's nothing serious with your knee. It's encouraging that your PT doesn't think it is anything to be too concerned about.

I'm super excited for you going to the potluck - it will be great to reconnect with your coworkers again! I can completely relate and I'm sure they are looking forward to you being able to make it. I hear ya on not wanting to take the cane to the pot luck among the twenty-somethings. Thankfully you don't need it anyway.

I can understand how you might feel a little uneasy about your husband not having a steady paycheck and relying on income from freelance work right now but you make such a great point about the flexibility it provides for him to watch your daughter. Enjoy your stay-cation this week - it sounds like you have lots of fun activities planned! How old is your daughter?
 
@Readysetgo, I am SO glad your kitty is doing well. Having sick fur babies is so awful. Hugs to @Cynthia777 for the loss of your two kitties. :cry:
It does sound like your blood work is improving. It all just takes time, I think. Our poor bodies are trying so hard to recover from the trauma of surgery, deal with healing, bone accepting implants, etc. It's no wonder it doesn't all snap back immediately.
I have the same concerns about my knees. They are noticeably stiff and sometimes a bit painful when bending in a certain way. I notice it when going downstairs as well. I notice it more if I have overdone it with exercising and my hips and thighs feel tight. I'm with you in hoping that knee issues are not part of the future!
I think it's a great thing to go to the pot luck and see your work mates. Your plan of just telling it like it is, is sound. People who have not had joint replacement surgery simply do not know. Recovery simply takes time.
I'm sending out good vibes that you reach your PT goals and that your return to work can be smooth and enjoyable. What you do is so important and I'm glad you still feel a passion for it. I know you have touched many children's lives with your care.
I am SO excited to hear what you think of the Pilates instructor/PT! I think that would be ideal.
Enjoy your week with your daughter! I hope warmer temperatures are on the horizon for you. We've been in the 60's here in the mid-Atlantic region but are supposed to get up into the 80's this coming week. It seems to swing from chilly to quite warm with very little in between. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom