THR Readysetgo Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 - I think Pilates would be interesting to you. A great one on one instructor would be ideal. I'm sure there are some good teachers in your area. The woman I see does a circuit fitness type class, but mostly works with healing people in individual sessions because that is more her thing rather than the fitness aspect.

I can't wait for you to get your 2 new hips working together so you can move painlessly and do the things you've missed doing, especially with your daughter. It is in your very near future my friend! :yes!:

I need to check your thread again. I think you were still doing the waiting game with your WBC and surgery date? I hope not. I hope you are a GO! :fasthorse: :bicycle1:

Have a wonderful weekend!
 
Hi @Hipster Girl ! Yes, it felt good to put the aids away. Thanks for your good thoughts about the knee. It feels better today. Fingers crossed!

I am excited about the company potluck! I haven't seen anyone since December! Even though we mostly work independently (in families' homes) for this company, I do like the people who work there. It's fun on the occasions when we do get together like the Xmas party, etc.. Hey - just going to ANY party will be a hoot for this double THR gal after all the recovery time!

Things are working out okay financially for now. Maybe even better in the long run. I'll feel better when I am working again, even though just part time. They always want me to do more hours and maybe I can if my husband continues to freelance.

My daughter is 9 years old. I gave birth to her 1 month before I turned 49, using egg donation. After trying other fertility treatments, that one worked. I would have adopted, but husband did not want to. I do have a few friends who are older moms, too but most of my mommy friends are younger women. Both my husband and I look a bit younger than our actual age - we're both 58 now. I met him (present husband) when I was about to turn 45. I had been married briefly in my early 30's, but was single for most of my life. I really wanted to have a child in my life after all my career adventures. Some friends thought I was crazy. Sorry, hope this isn't TMI. I try not to talk about my age too much. Some friends just assume I conceived naturally, not knowing or forgetting my actual age.

Anyway my daughter is an absolute joy to us. Her third grade teacher this year says the same thing! I'm looking forward to some good times with her this week. Today we ate lunch out with one of her friends and her mom (very young mom but we've become close since our girls bonded a few years ago.) Then we hit the playground. Well, the girls did - and we walked around and chatted. My hips felt fine. I sometimes forget how painful those simple things used to be!

I hope your weekend is fun and relaxing! Looking forward to hearing what comes your way in the job opportunity department. :)
 
@DeepBreath - Thanks for your kind thoughts about my kitty.

You're right about all the trauma that needs to heal in our bodies after these surgeries. I get impatient. I have thought about watching a you tube of the surgery just to remind myself of all my body went through! I wasn't brave enough to do that pre THR, but maybe now...? Or maybe not. It might make me nauseous (again!)

That's interesting you feel the knees as well sometimes. Hope that gets better for you. I think I was walking all whacko and now it takes awhile for the body to adjust. I worry about doing old compensations with this new body. Does that make sense? That's why I made the session with the Pilates/PT woman. She has such a keen eye for detail and really watches how I walk and move. I haven't seen her since the 2 surgeries. Will be interesting to see what she thinks! I'll definitely give you a report!

I am looking forward to the potluck. As I told Hipster Girl, I'm just thrilled to be going to any party after recovery! Thanks for your good vibes that I'll reach my PT goals before going back to work! I am eager to get back to working with those wee ones!

Wow I'm jealous you'll be in the 80's! The wind was really whipping around today. I hope it calms down tomorrow. It's supposed to be a bit warmer at least.

I'll definitely have fun with my daughter this week, no matter what the weather! I hope you have a fabulous and delicious weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
@Readysetgo
What type of Pilates do you do? Reformer or mat? I love Pilates. Can't wait until I can start up again.
Have a good wkend
 
Hi @Readysetgo no, no, no, not TMI at all! I enjoy reading your posts and am very happy for you and how you became a mom later in life. Fertility treatments are another modern miracle and I think it's wonderful when they help couples become parents and reminds me how blessed we are to live in this day and age.

Your daughter sounds like such a sweetheart and I'm sure is the joy of your life. And now with your new hips, I'm sure it will be a lot easier to keep up with her. It's obvious you have a heart for children, working with young tots with special needs. I admire people who do such meaningful work.

The pot luck sounds like a lot of fun and I'm sure it will be great to see your co-workers again, even more so since you all mostly work independently.

I hope warmer temperatures are headed your way. Try not to get blown away by all that wind :)
 
@Arlene56 - I've done both mat and Reformer. But with this woman who does the individual sessions, we mostly work on the Reformer. She also watches my gait and posture a lot. She says her clients sometimes complain that she works their brain even more than their body. She really makes you think first and then move consciously in a healthier way.

I know you have a Reformer. Will you start using it soon? I am eager to do other workouts than PT but am a little nervous about pushing things too soon. I'll feel safe in her studio with her guidance.

Hope you're having a great weekend! :)Anything happening toward the paraprofessional job? Are you looking to start in September?
 
@Readysetgo
Not sure when I will be getting back to reformer. I would maybe like to try and find a person like you have, for a few sessions. I don't want to over due it or do something I shouldn't be doing. So do you find where you are apprehensive in doing more activities? I am. Maybe that's all part of the recovery.

Once I get cleared to drive I need to go turn in my resume and Para license to the district office. I sure hope I can get a job doing that. My nurse friend said she was on the sub list before she was hired. That makes sense. Just need to pull in some money especially since our daughter may have to extend her college by a year or so.

Just want to get along in my life and start living without worrying about my hip. Guess it just takes time. My neighbor just bought a $1000 kayak. She posted pictures in Facebook and it looked like she and her husband had a good time. I don't know about spending $1000 on a fancy kayak but hey if you have the extra cash, go for it.

My hubby and I are bike people. So I am biting at the bit to start riding. In my head I was going over the routes we ride on. One particular path has a few steep hills. I don't think I will be doing that this year. So that leads me to what I stated above, will there be a time where one isn't afraid of biking up a steep hill or skiing down a mountain?? When or will one just not live in apprehensive mode? I can see myself now being afraid of being more active as I don't want to dislocate. Guess it just comes with being patient and with time.

Well, enough rambling. Hope you enjoy your day. It is sunny and near 70 here. A lovely day. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Arlene56 - very interested to read your post. Until four or five years ago, I did a lot of running on hard surfaces and also played field hockey, I am pretty sure that the running was the principal contributor to my dodgy hips and so I decided to stop after forty years. GNot sure "decided" is the correct word, it hurt too much!

I bought a mountain bike several years ago, but because of all the other stuff I have been doing, I have never used it as much as I would have liked. So one of my aims now is to do a lot more cycling. I love it and it just gives you a completely different perspective

Re the worrying, I suspect it gradually fades, but is always there as a warning not to push it too far, which probably is not a bad thing!

Good luck tomorrow - what is a reformer btw?

Peter
 
@Cynthia777 - Glad you enjoy my posts. Sweet of you to say so. I sometimes wonder if I'm prattling on too much...

So glad you are basically set to go for your surgery and that the cough is subsiding. Very happy to read that!

I definitelt had groin pain pre THR's but it completely went away along with lower back pain after surgery. Any stiffness/mild pain when I feel it is on the outside of my hips around my incisions. Are you experiencing a new groin pain since surgery? It could be you are compensating, perhaps in a different way after your surgery #1?? Or maybe it's your anterior incision going through healing pains? I hope it goes away soon , or at least after surgery #2!
 
"Prattling on"? I should say not! Don't you dare stop posting, as I am always looking forward to your next chapter!

I've only had it happen twice, but upon rising and only for a few steps, I do get a mild ache in the groin area. You're probably right because I am compensating for the bad hip. Thanks!
 
@Readysetgo, I loved hearing the story of your sweet girl. You most certainly do not 'prattle on'.
I wasn't able to watch a video of the surgery prior to getting mine either. I highly doubt I could now. I'm generally not squeamish, but that is just a bit too much for me.
Whew, it was HOT today. We made the leap from 70 yesterday to 88 right now. Holy Cow!
I hope you're enjoying your time with your girl. :)
 
@Hipster Girl, nope, I can't watch even the animated ones either. Not sure why, but it freaks me out for some reason. Currently today it's 90! The A/C got clicked on. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 74. That's much more my speed. :)
 
Okay, really? I haven't posted on my thread in over a month?!

Here goes my little over 4 month for #1 hip and little over 2 month for hip #2 update.

It's been a busy time and I've been a bit overwhelmed with my endless "to do" lists - getting the garden going, planning the summer, organizing for work, etc. But everything's good.

I started at work last Tuesday. It went well. I work with kids diagnosed with autism and other delays in their homes. Most clients are under 3 but I do have a 7 year old as well now. The work can be fast paced with a lot of multi-tasking and quick decisions. It's also physically demanding - getting up and down off the floor with the little ones and hauling bags of toys up and down stairs. I've been practicing for my return to work! I used to sit with them kneeling on the floor before THR's. After 4.5 months of not doing that, somehow my knees got tight especially after THR #2. It feels better now. I'm also practicing getting up from the floor from a lunge position - which I haven't done in years. I've really been working on getting the ol' glutes to do there proper job again. It takes mental concentration to move in a healthier way but I can already feel the results. The exercises I do are tedious but are effective.

It's a bit odd going back to work. I feel sentimental about my recovery days in a funny way. I try to keep up with posts on BS but it gets harder to find time to write as much as I'd like. I feel like BS is my family. I want to stay connected as much as I can even when life gets hectic.

I did get a bit tired the first day on the job. Meeting new clients and their families can be stressful even if you're not just returning back to work after 4.5 months! I was grateful that my late day client had to cancel. But it was fun the next day seeing my 7 year old kid's face when she saw I was back to work with her! Priceless and heart warming! Her mom had kept it a secret that I was coming back. Ah! Intense, yet rewarding work.

Backtracking.... When I got my stitches out for hip #2 after 2 weeks, it was with a nurse who didn't work with my OS but who did work in his office. She told me I'd had Posterior approach, not Anterior lateral as I had thought! I was flabbergasted. She told me to stick to Posterior restriction's time frame. Well I was already driving by then, but tried to stick to the 90 degree thing and all. When I finally saw my OS (at 6 weeks I think?) I asked about restrictions and he said I'd been off them for weeks! I asked what approach did he actually do and he said Anterior lateral, just like my #1 hip (with a different OS.)! I told him the nurse had told me Posterior and he looked a bit perturbed and said, "Well she should have looked at the notes." I was relieved that my OS hadn't lied to me after all when we first met about his approach! But I was mad at that nurse for giving me false info. She actually looked me in the eye after taking my stitches out and said Posterior was the ONLY approach my OS did! And all those weeks I could have been getting my range of motion back! So then I had to really try to get in shape quickly for going back to work.

I rarely file complaints but I did write her up in a survey. (Thanks to some prodding from fellow Bonesmarties.) There was just no excuse. And her carelessness might cause another person more harm. I did include my name and phone # but nobody contacted me about it.

I still go to outpatient PT and will for awhile longer. They have all those fun toys like the massage roller and the big ball. And it's free.

I saw my (one on one) pilates instructor for the first time since my THR's. She was amazed and happy for me. Said my body, gait and movement were SO much better now! Nice to hear! She's also a PT but now has a studio where she does Polestar pilates, which is more rehabilitative rather than "get fit". I went to her again after that and made more progress. Just love that pilates!

I'm walking a lot and that feels good. Still haven't gotten on my bike outside - but soon! I've got the garden going and am attempting to turn my "deck" into a beautiful flowery "veranda".

More backtracking. I had a wonderful week with my daughter when she was off from school for spring break. So much fun. We went out to lunch a few times, saw friends, hung out and played with the cats, walked down to our little beach, saw "The Jungle Book" ( Excellent film. And I loved the book when I was a kid.)

I was thinking recently about how lucky we all are to be able to fix our hips. What would we all have done without THR's? Suffered and made the best of it as our hips deteriorated? I don't know. And we are also so lucky to have this wonderful supportive forum! Please know I am thinking of everyone and sending warm thoughts out for beautiful recoveries! (Even when I can't get around to posting.) It seems to be a busy time of year for everyone. I hope you all are enjoying a restful and rejuvenating weekend! :sleep::flwrysmile: :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Readysetgo, Congratulations on all of your progress. That's wonderful. I'm so pleased to hear that you are back at work. It sounds like you are doing really well.

I'm was relieved to hear that you did have the Anterior lateral surgery, like you had wanted. I remember reading about that nurse on your thread, and it didn't ring true to me at the time. It's a good thing you double checked with your surgeon. She sounds like she's undermining his work. It could have really hurt his reputation, too.

The Pilates sounds excellent. I agree with you about this surgery. It's fantastic. Keep up the great work. I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying life.
 
Look at you go! I'm so happy for you. Your work does sound so very rewarding (nothing better than to love your occupation)! Sending you lots of prayers and hugs as you get back to a normal life. :friends:
 
Hi. I have my 'back to work' meeting tomorrow. I work with young people with physical and mental health difficulties so need to be emotionally on form as well as physically. I have been off work for 4.5 months so it will be a bit of a shock to the system. In a way though it will be good to think about something other than rehab. I have always found distraction a good strategy for survival! Having said that I am a bit nervous and I too could get used to being at home!
I have found Pilates to be great exercise regime and I have also this time been in an underwater treadmill. It's an amazing piece of kit and I would really recommend it. I have made loads of progress with the walking so hopefully I will have the stamina to keep going at work.
I hope you continue to improve and wish you well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom