Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ready To Move On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ready! Sounds like you are doing pretty darn good for only 3 weeks out. Take it easy and don't join that pesty "Over Did It" club!! Invite your guests--I am sure they will understand your circumstances and will be more than willing to help out. Can't imagine just getting well from one knee and then having the other one done. Hopefully I can put that off for a few years (if I am real lucky). Enjoy your day and the good fellowship of family and friends. Hope you have some beautiful sunny weather--all we have in KY this week is heavy rain and severe storms--not going too well for all the planned outdoor festivities. Happy 4th of July!!!! :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile:
 
Sounds like things are progressing well for you now! Believe me, I know about meshing the two recoveries together. After a little while, it will just seem like they are both at the same stage! When I ice, I ice both! I overdid it much, much more after surgery #2.....I think we just want to get on with our lives! Actually, I think I was up and around much better with the second surgery just because I didn't take it quite as easy as I did the first time. It still took a while to build my stamina (not sure if it's even normal yet!), but I don't think I was a wiped out after the least little thing like I was with #1.

How's physical therapy going for you? I think your ROM sounds great, and there's plenty of time for the knee to get straight. Just take it easy, and don't push that new one too much.

Enjoy your 4th! I'm sure your company will understand and do lots to help you. Have some fun!
 
Just take it easy, and don't push that new one too much.

Take it easy and don't join that pesty "Over Did It" club!!

Such wise advice from such wise women...too bad I didn't listen. I was foolish beyond words. Not only did I drive to the grocery store (25 miles round trip), but worked way too hard prepping for tomorrow. Other than being totally exhausted, I don't hurt too much. I am done for the day and elevating with ice. We will assess the damage tomorrow. Someday I will learn.
 
Hi Ready, enjoy your party. :bow:
I could not have contemplated hosting any event at three weeks out never mind a party for 60!
Please let your guests have the pleasure of helping, they will prefer your company and would rather help than have you miserable because you are overdoing it.
Have a wonderful time, I hope the sun shines for you.
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance:
 
OK, seems like no real damage done from my ridiculous, utterly stupid activity yesterday. The leg--the entire leg-- was angry last night, but 2 Tylenol quieted him right down. My 1st knee is a marvel! Truthfully NO PAIN!!

Thanks for your concern and warnings. Yes, we may be having 60+ guests, but keep in mind they are all family of all ages, and it is a pot-luck affair (our contribution is always beverages--no cooking). At this point, I fade into the woodwork and don't lift a finger. We have been hosting since we moved to the lake in 1989. One year, we had 77 people here. It is really a lot of fun with yard games, boating, and fellowship. Some years, people are still hanging out well into the evening, and we have a bon fire and watch fire works go off around the lake. Everyone helps clean up. Since we set up the food in the garage, it is the ONE time all year we clean it, hose it out, etc...That is where the bulk of my time was spent yesterday. My daughter was a great help, but hubby too busy farming. Now today, it is just setting up tables and chairs (everyone is suppose to bring their own lawn chair), paper products, garbage cans, yard games, and some general cleaning and sprucing. My husband and daughter will finish those jobs--they have their lists. I am going to finish coffee and paint my toes before guests pull in at noon. I will try to be good and just kick back. Hope you all have a wonderful day.
 
Another great accomplishment--being able to bend knee to polish those toe nails!! You are really cruising through this second recovery!!! :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:
 
That was fun, glad it's done! We had a wonderful day. I always say a prayer of thanks when the day ends and everyone was safe in the water and while boating. I pretty much sat in my nice chair and socialized--so I heeded the advice of all my Bonesmart friends. My partner and I only made it to round 2 in the bean bag toss tournament, so that was good for my knee. Others helped get things spruced up when it was over. Then round 2 with just a few friends and some fireworks. I even snuck in a glass of wine. Needless to say, I slept very well. I am very sore today and don't expect much in the way of ROM at therapy today. Have a good weekend to all.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Ready To Move On
Ready, sounds like a great time was had by all. Happy you had such a good 4th. I'm sure it was more than worth some soreness and the loss of a little ROM temporarily. Now back to the mantra:heehee:!!!!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Great post Ready, I am so pleased the day was a success.
Enjoy some relaxation now and celebrate your shiny knees. I can't believe you are nearly four weeks post op with knee two.
I measured my scar on my left knee, it is 6.5 inches with my knee straight and 8.5 when my knee is bent. I am sure your second scar is probably longer due to swelling.
You are doing so well,
Hugs Toothfairy x :dancy: :yay:
 
Week 4: Summer always flies by, but this year, it is ridiculous! I had an OS appt today--actually his assistant. All is well except a pesky spot on my scar which he figures is a stitch to work its way out or finish dissolving. We spent a great deal of time talking about how and when to wean off of the meds. I experienced some withdrawl last time in the form of sweats, insomnia, restless legs and jerks to name a few. I didn't see it coming last time, but want to do what I can to avoid it this time. I was pleased that he actually acknowledged that a person CAN become "addicted" in a short amount of time and CAN experience withdrawl. I heard and read so often that it won't happen in such a short amount of time. Kindof makes me angry as lots of people report otherwise. I feel better equipped this time. Both he and the OS are fine giving me what I need to control the pain, so we agreed on a plan to start reducing and come back in 2 weeks, so if it wasn't going well we could discuss how to proceed. I am so fortunate to have a wonderful OS who really seems to understand all aspects of the process and give support after the surgery. He and his staff either genuinely care of are good a faking it.

I have a lot to be thankful for and feel like I am progressing very well. I drive now on a regular basis and feel like I can react quickly and strongly enough on the brake. I even walked through Target today and met some friends at a coffee shop. Yesterday at church, I must have heard from half a dozen people how unless they knew I had surgery they never would have guessed. I literally have no limp (once I get over those first 3 or 4 steps) I have no swelling below the knee. I have been getting some good sleep. Nights are when my pain seems the worst perhaps because I don't move much. I keep a cooler with icepacks by the bed so when I wake up I can just slap one on and hold it in place with an ace wrap, then go back to sleep. I am not losing weight inexplicably like last time--not sure if that is good or bad as it was sort of a nice.

The goal for the week (with #1, I got in the habit of setting goals every Monday) is to reach 113 and 2 on my ROM and to have NO days in the ODIC (over did it club). It is SO hard with this beautiful weather.

Wishing you all a good week.
 
Yea Ready! One month--time does fly when you are having fun!! I will be three months next week and can hardly believe it. I have come so close so many times to joining the ODIC--it is just so hard not to when you are feeling so much better. I do have an issue that has developed--I am now having hot flashes again. Complete meltdowns when I exert just a little bit of energy. Don't know how it could be related to this knee issue but made an appointment with my gynecologist to have things checked out. Just when you think everything is working out, this old body throws you another zinger.

I know what you mean when you talk about those first 3-4 steps in the morning. I wake up with my knee so tight and then by the time I make it to the kitchen for my cup of coffee, I am okay. Wonder if that lasts forever??

Glad you are doing so well--keep it up!
 
maddoxsmama Oh, the hot flashes:hairpulling: . I have dealt with them for about 3 years, but only in the summer. However, this year they hit worse than ever about a month after my first knee, just about when I quit the oxycontin. Along with other weird things my body did, I am thinking those uncomfortable withdrawl symptoms. The were horrible, I was stripping off my tee shirt every 15 minutes between the hours of about 2-5 a.m. I haven't had any now since about mid-may, but am dreading them coming back when I quit the meds. Best of luck with them. I tried everything homeopathic with no relief. Apple Cider Vinegar was the worst!
 
Ready I am off all meds except I take one mild pain pill at night which helps me sleep. If I don't take it, I just toss and turn all night trying to find a comfortable position. Then a couple hours later, I have to find a new comfortable position and on and on my night goes. Most of my hot flashes are during the day. Have an appointment next week with my gynecologist. Have been on the internet reading and looking at homeopathic remedies but so far nothing is helping. Have tried everything that has been suggested to me by friends. Guess some blood work is in order to come up with the right solution to the problem.

Just one more blip on the radar. Am determined to get myself back to the normal, healthy life I had before these knee issues started.

Hope your knees are behaving. Having rainy, stormy weather here in KY and that usually brings on a few aches and pains in the old knees. But I am three months post op this week---YEA!!
 
Week 5: Lots of good things to report, like I am basically off of most of my narcotic medication. I take one as needed, but not on a schedule. So far, no nasty side affects. Tylenol is filling in well, and I can keep the dose to about 1,500 mg per day. To be honest, I still have pain, but I've made the choice to go easier on the pain meds (not to prove I'm tough or to be a martyr--but because I want my body and mind back). Also, my sleep has really improved. I am sleeping a good 4 hours at a time and no long periods of being awake. I can handle that, and count it as a blessing after many months of just a few hours! The horrible hot flashes I had last time have not resurfaced in full force, just a few here or there. I feel pretty functional as far as daily life like cooking, cleaning, shopping for short but effective times, (but we won't tell my teens that yet, I think I can get a few more weeks out of them). I measured 113 and 2 today. Not stellar numbers, but OK with me (and my PT) as I know they will keep improving. I can walk up stairs like a normal person, but need a railing on the way down. Most of the time, I can walk without a limp. All in all, a great list of accomplishments for which I am very thankful.

Just a few things bring me back to reality. Of course, I can't figure out how to limit my activity and tend to join the ODIC. Still working on it. I have 2 spots along my scar that are driving me CRAZY! It feels like a knife digging in when I touch it, lay on it, or stretch it. PT figures a stitch adhered and/or hasn't dissolved. Does anyone know how to get that worked out? The skin appears healed, but a little dimple in that spot. I still have a knot in the back of my knee. PT massages it each time, which really hurts even though she is as gentle as can be. I experienced that with #1 as well, and that cleared up over time. Hoping for the same. I still have pain through my thigh and into my hip/lower back. It passed last time, so again, hopeful it will ease soon.

So, there you have it. I think by the time school rolls around, I should be doing well. I am very glad there is still a good chunk of summer left to enjoy.
Thanks to those checking in. Hope you all have a great week.
 
Yea! Sounds like you are zipping right through this second recovery. Still battling those flashes but my knee seems to be doing great. Have been rather lax about icing and elevating but still doing okay. Traveled out of town this weekend. Traveled 3 hours to and 3 hours back home. Knee didn't hurt at all--ankle on surgery knee swelled but no way I could elevate my leg in the car. I was pleased with my knee so now I am ready for some longer trips.

Glad you have longer to recover before you head back to school. Being a retired teacher, I know how stressful beginning a new school year can be--and you definitely won't have time to be worried about your knees!!

Relax and don't overdo it!!! (so easy to do)
 
A few sleepless nights lately, but for a totally different reason. I am calling on all of you prayer warriors out here to lift up some folks in prayer. Let me explain briefly: My husband is a dairy farmer and was looking for a partner to milk with him. His sister's 23 year old step son (so our step-nephew) wanted to farm all of his life--it was a passion for him, so they formed a partnership and Brandon and his young family rented the farm house from us. Monday, Brandon was killed at his full time job while working on a piece of machinery. It fell on him and crushed his head and chest. He leaves behind a wife and 2 daughters under the age of 2. My husband is also a sawyer, and has often said he was going to build his own coffin. He had obviously shared that with Brandon because yesterday, his wife approached Paul and said that a month ago, Brandon said that if he died before Paul, he wanted him to build his coffin. I know it will seem very odd to many of you, but guess what our family did last night? We sawed, measured, squared, pounded, and sanded together through tears and stories and built Brandon's coffin. It was surprisingly therapeutic. So, if you find yourself up in the middle of the night and can't sleep, please pray for Angie and the girls Gretchen and Ivy, for his family and his young friends trying to make sense of this, for all of the men at the job site where he was killed, and for Paul and my family. Thanks for your prayers and for allowing me to use this space so personally.
 
Oh, Ready, I am so sorry! There are no good explanations or answers as to why such awful things happen to good people, way before their time. It's no wonder that your family gathering together to build Brandon's coffin was such a therapeutic experience. Cultures going back to the dawn of recorded history have found solace and comfort in gathering to care for the recently departed to ease their transition into whatever existence may lie ahead. In Judaism we have a tradition called the "chevra kedusha," in which it is considered a "mitzvah" (sacred duty and special honor, coequal to comforting the bereaved and higher than visiting the sick) for friends and neighbors to wash and dress the body and stand guard over it until the funeral director arrives.

Prayers are on the wing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom