Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ready To Move On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need to kindly ask those dear ones who are "out and about" to help you just a bit!! In these early days, you really need to have someone BRING you your tea and ice and pillows!

Please take good care and take it easy! Right now is the time to just let those drugs take over and relax! The first two weeks will fly by.....believe me! And then, it'll be so much better!

Thinking about you.....
Dewey
 
Oh those early days of recovery until we get half way organized and into a daily routine--don't even want to think of them yet! I remember walking through my kitchen and trying not to look at the sticky countertops and all the stuff that needed to be put back into the cabinets!! But my husband was trying so hard to take care of me that I didn't want to be complain. My first short walks were to my kitchen so I could swipe my countertops with an antibacterial wipe!! Just concentrate on your recovery and don't sweat the small stuff. If your house is like mine, it will all be waiting for you when you are able to take care of it!!! :yes!: Hope your meds start to agree with you a little more and you can sleep!! You definitely need the rest right now.
 
Dewey and maddoxsmama, you are right again. But I am a stubborn old mule. I also try to reserve my up and about times to bathroom/kitchen for a quick clean. It's times like this I wish we did not have an open floor plan, then I could close the door to the kitchen and see the mess. My son is starting to take pride in how the yard looks. He is out there now repositioning some hanging baskets and watering pots. He has the place looking so nice! My daughter provided me with some humor last night as she and a friend tried to make supper. They will both need to find husbands who can cook!

So, update time. I had my first bowel movement already (only another Bonesmartie would find that significant and understand why I am sharing that). Three full days sooner than I did last time. The bruising is now visible, but not nearly as bad. Mostly in my upper, inner thigh and ankle. I had 2--YES 2--showers at the hospital, but my first one at home this morning was still pretty nice. Not much of an appetite again, so when I put something in, I try to make it pretty good stuff. The pain meds are really doing their job. However, the dilaudid, from what I hear and am experiencing, is some pretty potent stuff. I can have one every 4 hours as needed, but I can easily make it 8 hours without getting behind. I had the weird UFO experience the first night. Now this morning, I woke up and saw big floating bogs on the lake. I quickly texted our neighbor (you DO NOT want these coming to rest on your shore). When I looked out the window again, all I saw was the reflection of the trees in the water. My neighbor got a good laugh at my expense. Anyway, I will be careful with that stuff, stretch it our, and use Tylenol al little more often.

Now the most exciting news: My former therapist transferred to a new location. My new PT must have written the BoneSmart mantra herself. She is wise, kind, gentle, and intuitive. I let her know right away that my worst enemy is myself. Although ROM numbers are still being recorded, she thought perhaps in my case, we should make the goal to have less swelling with each visit. So she carefully measured and recorded several spots with her tape measure. Obviously, they are connected, but she thought that I might be motivated by reducing those numbers. Clever girl. Even though I have just been through this, I walked (hobbled) away with a handful of new ideas and insights. For kicks and giggles, I had her do a ROM check on the 'OLD' knee and I had gained 6 degrees flexion since my last therapy visit.

Thanks for giving me a place to ramble on and record my experiences. My hubby is busy trying to get the last of the crops planted so I need to let it all out here. I know there are plenty of hard times coming my way, but for now I will enjoy some early victories. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.
 
Yea--a bowel movement so early on--definitely a Bonesmartie victory!! Sounds like you lucked out in the PT category also. A kind and gentle PT can make such a difference in our recoveries. I am now 8 weeks post op and my OS has told me I can continue professional PT or continue doing the exercises myself. I am going to try to do them myself. I have learned to have patience since this surgery so now I will just have to work on my self discipline as well. Hope you are getting adjusted to those meds pretty soon before your neighbors have you commited!! :rotfl:
 
It's been one week since Mr. Right came into my life. Although he's nothing to look at, he has potential and I think we can have a long, happy life together.

My body has obviously adjusted to the new wonderdrug (hydromorphon) I have been taking. No more crazy visions, which is good. On the other hand, it no longer knocks pain out almost instantly or lasts for quite as long. I am currently at one dose every 7 to 8 hours, but my prescription says every 4 hours as needed. Lots of wiggle room--potentially too much. I am trying very hard to not over do activity. It is very interesting having #2 follow #1 so closely. My mind is blurring the two recoveries and I think I want to take on too much. It is good to have my thread to review, but I didn't start posting so early with Lefty.

I came up with a med-record system I would like to share--perhaps others have done this, too.Using a Microsoft label template, I made a sheet of sticker labels that listed all of the things I need to take during the day, followed by a line. Pain meds, vitamins, blood thinner, Tylenol, etc...). If I am to take something every 6 hours, then I listed that medication 4 times. I printed them off (about a half sheet of labels) and stuck each label in my calendar/planner on each day for the next few weeks. Whenever I take something, I simply either check it off or list the time. Now I have a written record of what I am taking and can easily see if I forgot something. (I still need to set my alarm for the pills I take by the clock). This has really helped for the middle of the night doses so I can remember in the morning, and when I was still a little loopy on the wonderdrug. Each label takes up only a small space in the planner and I still have room for quick journal notes about the day or appointments, etc... I also record my weight and if I did my home exercises. I can easily go back to the saved document and make changes for new labels in a few weeks. Keep in mind I am a paper-pencil type person. I still use cookbooks, recipe cards, an address book and make lists with paper. My daughter scoffs and says--just put it on your phone, mom.
 
Hi Ready, well I did a nice long post to you and then my ipad ate it!!!
Sounds like you are doing really well. I have been thinking about you but not been posting much this last week.
You seem to be very organised and have a good system that works for you. I'm amazed that its a week already. How is knee one doing? Is it being affected by all the resting you are doing?
I am struggling a bit with the demands of work but had a better day today so hopefully things are going in the right direction.
Take it easy and rest, rest and rest. Congratulations again on being the proud owner of two super shiny new knees, hugs Toothfairy x
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Ready! It sounds like you are doing wonderfully so far! So glad the meds are working and you're pretty comfortable. Isn't it amazing how knee #1 just "steps up to the plate" and takes over? Mine was only 10 weeks old (and I was still really baby-ing it) when #2 came along. I couldn't believe how the damaged knee became the "strong" one so quickly - actually overnight! After a few weeks, it just seems like the two are healing together now. Scar on #1, though, looks better than the new one so I know what's to come.

I still marvel that I actually did both of my knees, but I'm so glad I did. I can't say, just yet, how happy I am with my new "parts", but I am confident that that day will come. It does continue to get better and better each day.....just not fast enough for me!

I tended to be up and about much more after #2 than I was with #1. I think I had just had ENOUGH of the couch and daytime TV after about 3 weeks of #2! I couldn't take it anymore! I decided that this is it, and I'm getting back to my life now. I'm sure that is why I've probably had more nighttime achiness with #2 than I did with the first one, too! It's so easy to be a member of the overdid it club! I'm afraid I'm doing it everyday now!

I will say that lately (I kind of hate to even write this....I'm afraid it will jinx me!) I'm feeling a bit more confident that things are moving in the right direction. I'm still waking at night, but not so much due to the aches. Getting up from a sitting position is much less painful now, too. Maybe things really do turn the corner at 10 weeks! See what you have to look forward to???

I'll continue to hope things go smoothly for you, and everyday is just a bit better than the day before. Soon we will be back with those little ones with more energy and no pain on our faces! I'm looking forward to that! Take good care!
 
Good Morning all. I am now 10 days out. Toothfairy and Dewey thanks for the posts. I agree that a person can only watch so much day time TV. And as much as I enjoy my Bonesmart friends and keeping up with everyone's progress, after a few months, that, too, gets old. I have been getting outside and resting on my deck smelling the lilacs and watching the birds instead. Today is rather gloomy, though, so maybe some HGTV or Food Network for the afternoon.

I have good and bad to report--neither earth shattering. On the good side, I have the world's best PT. She is about my age with an amazing philosophy and loads of information and advice for me. By my second visit, I had already reached 90 and yesterday, reached 98.That is without either one of us touching or pushing. All passive. No clue where that came from as my leg still feels like a giant kielbasa. Another good thing: I have ankles! The swelling below my knee is gone. Yesterday, I took off the dressing and steri strips and incision looks good. OS stitches from inside and glues, so no staples. This scar is nearly 10 " long vs. the 8" scar on lefty. Hmmm? I am also delegating so much more to my kids since they are home for summer break. I do virtually nothing except make my own breakfast (everyone is gone, either farming or at swimming practice). The left knee is doing great--really rising the challenge.

On the bad side, I have not been managing my pain lately. I have the same pain in the back of my knee that I did with Lefty. That pain runs all the way up my leg into my hip and back making it uncomfortable to sit and lay. The Hydromorphon (Dilaudid) seemed so potent at first and I was only taking one every 6-8 hours. Now, it doesn't knock the pain out right away like it used to and I seem to need it a lot sooner. I am very afraid of this drug, so tomorrow when I see OS I will discuss this with him. On a rerun of "Criminal Minds" the other day, the drug addict/psychopath/murder was addicted to Dilaudid. On one internet site, they call it Hospital Heroin. Another thing that is not so good is my lack of sleep. I don't sleep well at night, and even though I lay down and rest during the day, I don't nap. Oh, and big blunder on my part. I have only been taking 1 of the blood thinners a day vs. 3. At least that is an easy fix.

OK, another long post from me. I will work on what I need to fix and hope each individual small fix helps the overall picture.
 
Hi Ready,
Sitting out smelling the lilacs and listening to the birds sounds like a really good plan. Are you able to elevate your legs while you do it?
It's good to know you have such a good PT. Fabulous ROM for this early stage. I didn't have any idea what a kielbasa was so had to google it!
Did the same surgeon do both knees? Maybe they needed more access to your right knee so needed a longer scar. I haven't measured my scar, I will do that tomorrow and report back.
I hope you can get your pain relief under control. I certainly would not worry about addiction, you are very early post op and really need good pain relief. Maybe your surgeon will be able to recommend something different for you.
Take care, you are doing really well and an inspiration.
Hugs Toothfairy x :dancy: :egypdance:
 
Hi Toothfairy. Are you ready for your weekend?
Yes, the same surgeon did both knees. I saw him today for a 2 week post op. He encouraged me to use more of the pain meds. Actually, said I could take 1-2 every 4 hours. I am currently taking 1 every 6 hours. I will up the dosage and worry about the other stuff later. As I sit icing here after another PT session, I definitely need it. I know I am making funny faces as the pain sets in, rises, and falls. Perhaps my scar is longer because of the swelling? I will measure again in a few weeks and see if it is as long.

The summer solstice is upon us. Longest day of the year. But really, it has been a super long day with an early morning storm that lasted over 2 hours and knocked out electricity for 12 hours, visit to OS, and then to PT. I should be thinking about supper, but right now I am going to lie down and make more funny faces.

Enjoy the weekend.
 
Take those pills, Ready! In these early day, it's really important to keep that pain away. Please don't worry about taking it....your body will know when it's had enough, and then you'll just taper it off. I spent way too much time worrying about pain meds, believe me! I probably stopped too soon, too, but certainly not in the first few weeks. I am so glad those days are over.....and they'll be over for you soon, too. For now, concentrate on getting that knee pain free as often as you can.

Glad your appointment went well today. When do you see him again?
 
You are right Dewey. I truthfully have been in quite a bit of pain most of the week. I was just a little freaked out by all the weird stuff that I saw/thought I saw on my first night with this drug. It has since subsided. Also, 2 days in a row that I napped. I am going to make a concerted effort to get some daytime sleep. Thanks for the encouragement.
 
Hi Ready, I am really pleased to hear that you are going to take more of your pain meds. You might need to take the max dose for a day or two to get on top of the pain. It's no good you being in pain and it really won't help your recovery.
It will also help you catch up with your sleep and heal.
Sounds like you have had quite a day, hope you managed some rest after all that excitement. Be kind to yourself, take those pain pills and soon you will be feeling much better. You may well be right that the scar seems longer because of the swelling.
I started my weekend yesterday as I don't work on a Friday. I went for a lovely swim and did a bit of shopping and laundry. I am having a quiet day today.
Hope you will soon be on top of that pain, sending you some lovely flowers and some Belgian chocolates to cheer you up,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :console2:
 
Toothfairy Hope you had a good Monday back at work. Thanks for the Belgian chocolates and flowers. Just what the doctor ordered! Actually, my son just made some homemade chocolate taffy. I got him hooked on Alton Brown's Good Eats, so now he creates in the kitchen. Tastes great, but tough on the teeth.

I am taking quite a bit of medication right now and am really only seeing small changes in the pain. I am, however, able to sleep much better. I still have that horrible pain and tightness in the back of my knee. I see the therapist 3x a week and we spend a great deal of the time on gently massaging that area. That is where 90% of my pain is located. She has yet to push my knee to bend or extend it. Today, I was at 99 for flex and 9 for ext. After massage, I was at 5 extension, so I know massage helps, temporarily anyway.
I was also able to go around on the bike both forward and backward--didn't even have to cheat. :bicycle1:
Have a good night everyone. Hope you have restful sleep and pleasant dreams.
 
way to go on the bike!:yay:
 
Wow, Ready! Going around on the bike at only two weeks! Good for you! Just take it easy and don't push it too much, especially with that pain behind your knee.

Are you getting a little more sleep now? I never really felt like I slept soundly with the narcotic meds, but it did help me relax and rest. The achiness is the worst at night time, for some reason, but it is letting up a bit now (#2 is 11 weeks today).

You have those first awful two weeks behind you now....it just gets easier and easier from now on! (Not fast enough, I know, but it does get better!) Very soon, we will both be able to get up in the morning and think about the exciting things we're going to do instead of thinking about our knees! I can't wait for that day!

Take care, get some rest, and just take it easy. There's only a few weeks until we're back at school!
 
Good morning Ready,
Sorry to hear your pain is not good. I hope it will settle soon. It's good that the massage gives you some relief.
Fantastic news about the bike, I am really impressed. :bow: I was on my bike at two weeks but could only rock for a few days then had some days going backwards before I could go forward and even then I was hitching my hip.
Be very proud of yourself. Having better sleep will help you cope. Each day should get a little better and you can enjoy the knowledge that they are both done now. :happydance:
I had a great Monday at work. It was really hectic and intense and I came out with my brains fried! I went for a swim which really helped me to unwind.
Must go and get ready for work,
Have a great day, hugs,
Toothfairy x
 
Hi Dewey - thanks for checking in on me. Aren't you glad you still have almost 2 months before going back to school? It's very hot and humid today, and the thought of being in school at this time of year with no AC gives me nightmares. How are your knees doing? I'm guessing some good days and some bad.

I just got home from therapy. All is well except that pesky spot in the back of my knee. Everywhere else on the knee is just a touch achy, but this pain shoots all the way up my thigh and into my hip, so it hurts to sit, stand, or lay down. Getting my leg straight is taking a while, but it has been bent for 35 years. I know it will eventually get there. My PT massages that spot and even her light touch makes me wince. Did manage 4 today after massage and stretches. I hit 100 on the flexion and could go around forward on the bike.

I got to go on a boat ride yesterday! Now that my son is 16, he can legally drive our speed boat. It's kind of a beater, but we just got a new motor and it has to be broken in with some cruising. I managed to get in the boat--wasn't easy but very worth it. He practiced driving around for almost an hour--I laid my head back and enjoyed the wind and spray of water. Great therapy. Can't wait to do it again.

I am off to a nap. I stayed up late working on a project for the swim club, so after PT and to the clinic for blood sample, I am worn out. Take care and find something to enjoy in each precious summer day.
 
Yesterday marked 3 weeks for me. My flexion was 110 on Friday, extension still an issue at about a 7. My pain has come down a bit, but that spot in back is still pesky.

This time around is so strange. I am blurring the 2 surgeries and recoveries together. I sometimes forget it has only been 3 weeks and tend to act like it has been 4 months--which is how long it has been for lefty. I snuck in a quick 2 mile drive yesterday (hubby needed a ride from the field--all you farm wives know what I am talking about). This morning, I watered shrubs and burned branches and sticks that came down in a storm last week. My brain was saying 4 months, my knee was saying 3 weeks.

We traditionally host about 60 people (all family) on the 4th, so I am trying to figure out what the priorities are in preparing for the party. I have decided people come to enjoy each other and the lake, which I can't change. They will all have to accept weedy gardens and will have to dust off their own lawn chairs.

Hope all of you celebrating independence day enjoy some family time this week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom