TKR Ready To Move On

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the best for your surgery on Monday Ready. It must be hard just getting back to being a bit normal and have to go through it all again! But just image how amazing it will be to have two good knees which would be a blessing for the job you have. Take care!
 
landoz Thanks Kathy. Hope you are doing well with your new knee.

It is a bit strange to be doing it all over, but the timing is so good. Today was the last day of a school, so there would be a new routine for me anyway. I am mentally prepared, but not physically! I have done none of the house cleaning or packing that I did the first time. I am just going to let it happen. After #1 I realize that a little dust is the least of my worries and I don't need to pack much for the hospital. I have been resident in the ODIC now for at least 2 weeks. Working full time and just living life gives me little time to ice or do exercises. I figure a few weeks of elevation and rest will do lefty some good, too. One most blood test tomorrow morning and a call to find out my surgery time. Then just one final weekend to accomplish a list that's ridiculously long and not humanly possible. Some things never change...
 
Good morning Ready, I hope you can find some time in that hectic weekend to do a few nice things for yourself, things that you enjoy and that you will have to miss for a few weeks. They are more important than jobs.
You are being very brave. I had a letter waiting after work on Wednesday which looked like my hospital appointment letter and my stomach did somersaults. Turned out it was my occupational health letter. It was interesting as it confirmed that under the calm exterior I am actually quite nervous about doing knee 2.
I am sure you must feel like this too.
I have been reading my posts from the first few days after surgery and thankfully have found them reassuring.
Thank goodness we only have two knees. Will it be the same surgeon that will do your second knee?
Hope you don't totally exhaust yourself trying to do the impossible this weekend.
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Then I spent 3 hours and lots of $$ picking out some plants for pots and for my new rain garden. The rain garden concept is new for me--uncharted waters. If anyone has come advice, send it my way. Only a few days left to spruce up the yard for summer!
No help on the rain garden concept--unless it's the mushrooms growing in my yard after all the rain we've been having. :loll: Last year a drought, this year rain. :rolleyes:
 
Ready and Toothfairy--I admire both of you for being ready to have your other knee done soon. I really don't think I am mentally or physically ready for that yet! Hope your second time around is so much easier than the first!!!
 
Ready, Just wanted you to know I'll be thinking about you on Monday! You'll be SO GLAD when this second surgery is all over! Then it's just all about healing and getting better! I'm glad you've had a couple of weeks of close to "normalcy" before your second, so your recovery won't seem so very long.

Are you planning on going back to school in August?

Take care, don't stress too much this weekend, and I'll be watching for your good news once it's all over! You'll be in my prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!
 
Hi to all, and thanks for the posts. kneeper The rain certainly does keep us guessing. All of those pond that dried up last summer with no rain are full with little families of ducks and geese. My husband farms, so those drops of rain are like $ sign--for now. However, another week of rain and they will turn to bank notices!

Toothfairy Yes, I will have the same surgeon and hospital. I had journaled a bit before I started posting here. Crazy thing: I hadn't remembered most of it. Nurse's names and some incidents I wrote about don't even ring a bell. Must have been some good drugs! I don't feel nervous for this surgery because I know I can do it. I have proof. Actually, I am excited to get it done and be ready to move with some vigor again. The custodian I work with, who is at least 10 years older and moving pretty poorly, saw the same surgeon and was told him he had to wait another year or 2. He was disappointed because he saw how much better I feel. He did more cortisone. I am glad to be in my shoes and not his (his would be way too big and don't match a thing in my closet.)

maddoxsmama WHAT? You, who have had the most amazing recovery and positive attitude, would certainly be ready for another surgery. But thanks for calling me brave. I don't consider it brave because I didn't have that bad of a time.

Dewey, you are the brave one! With so many issues the first time around, facing #2 would be frightful. Hope you are feeling well and more encouraged. I enjoyed the last weeks of school. It was fun to be normal. My knee felt no worse than it had for the entire year before surgery. Today was teacher workshop and a staff party at a colleagues lake home. One (actually two) last cocktail before the drugs. Thanks for the well wishes. And yes, I will go back to school in the fall. Classes start the day after labor day, so that gives me 12 weeks. I started back half days at 10 weeks for #1.

Tomorrow I wash windows and dig in the dirt, plus one graduation party to attend. Sunday it will probably rain, so I am baking some strawberry rhubarb pies to toss in the freezer and some bran muffins to help things along after surgery. My surgery is set for noon on Monday, so I will need to occupy myself in the morning to get my mind off the fact that I will be starving and thirsty.

Have a great weekend to all of you.
 
Hugs, warm wishes and all good vibes are being sent your way. Post when you are able. All your Bonesmartie friends will be thinking about you!! Enjoy your weekend!!!! :friends:
 
Whew. What a day. Today I sprayed our yard for the millions of weeds it has, went to a flea market, planted over 40 plants in a new garden, made up a bunch of hanging baskets and pots, attended a graduation, and went out with my family for supper and a quick shop at Sam's. Lots of fun, glad it's done. One more day before life slows down A LOT, so I am going to enjoy my new knee and do what I can. I am surprised how little pain I have in that new joint and how many times the old one reminds me why he has to come out. Hope you all had some fun today, too.
 
Wow what a busy day, hope you have a great day todoy and all goes perfectly for you tomorrow.

Shortie x
 
I am exhausted just reading it Ready. You will be glad of a rest.
I am finding I am doing too much at the moment which is making my knee a but stiff and sore but I am finding it hard to sit and rest when there is so much to do. I think after all those weeks of sitting quietly resting I just want to get on with life.
Have a great day today, enjoy.
It will be a long morning for you tomorrow. Hope it passes quickly. I will be thinking about you,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :yes:
 
Good luck tomorrow!! One down and one to go--aren't we glad we only have two knees!!
 
After an exhausting day yesterday, I took it easy today. Every muscle ached! Good thing it rained or I would have tried to squeeze in a little more. Surgery is scheduled for sometime around noon. I haven't even packed yet. I figured I would stay up late and enjoy a snack, a last cup of tea and hydrate a bit more before the magic midnight deadline. At this point, I feel very calm about the surgery. I hope it continues until I am well sedated! Time to do the pre op skin wipes and go to bed. THANKS for your prayers and well wishes. I certainly feel them.
 
GRRRRR. Surgical center called and I am pushed back to 2:00. My stomach is growling! I am not a patient person, so this drives me nuts. I am not taking the laptop to the hospital, so I will post when I get home. Thanks again for your prayers and support.
 
Just thinking about you:) ...hoping all is going well! We will all look forward to hearing from you once you are home and settled! Take good care!
 
Well, the deed is done and it appears that all went well. I chose a spinal this time and am really glad for it. I was so much more alert after surgery. Again, I had issues with low hemoglobin and low blood pressure so I had to stay an extra day. My nurses were better this time, truly delightful and caring. I was able to get up and move around and am just using crutches. Pain meds are a bit different: Oxycontin 30 mg 2x a day, and dilaudid 4 mg. as needed. My first out patient therapy is tomorrow afternoon. That is all for now. My backspace button is getting a workout!
 
Yea!!! It is over and now you are on the road to recovery!! You know how to do it and we will be here to support you each step of the way!!!
 
Wonderful news Ready, I am so pleased for you.
Sounds like things are going really well.
Sit back and relax and heal, big hug, Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
So GOOD to hear all is well! I've sure been thinking about you! It sounds like things are going well, and now all you have to think about is getting better! Isn't it nice to have a matching set?? Glad that it's all over and done with for you now! PLease check back in when you can and let us know how things are going! Congrats!
 
And so it begins...again. I have finally settled in for the morning after a very interesting night, which I will totally blame on my new drug. The green light on our smoke detector in the bedroom kept bouncing around, and I swear there were UFOs on the lake all night last night. I didn't sleep much, not because of pain, but because it was just too weird.

I forgot how hard the first days were: Of course, kids and hubby are out and about and have begun their days but neglected to clean up the kitchen first. Then there's gathering all of the meds and mixing mirilax. Oh and somewhere in there I need to make breakfast and get some coffee or tea. Don't forget the ice packs and pillows. Took me 50 minutes to get settled. I need a nap. Maybe I'll go back to the hospital where resting is easier.

My leg is pretty swollen but so far it has not given up it's lovely shades of purple it did last time. Maybe that's yet to come. Thanks to all of you who checked in on me. I appreciate being cared for!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom