Guest viewing is limited

TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

One of the most painful things I had prior to my TLKR on July 7, was an inflammation of the bursa on the medial side of my left knee. I was assured surgery would address it. I realize it's only Day 11 for me, but in doing the gentle stretching suggested here on BoneSmart, I felt that exact pain very sharply. Am I the only one who has this? It really frightens me because it's almost a "10" on the pain scale and I don't want to exacerbate it.

Here‘s an article from the Bonesmart Library:

Here’s a link to the whole list of articles in the Bonesmart Library. Lots of topics there!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/library-index.14830/
 
Lots of our members did their own PT at home, and some even did no PT, or exercises, just went about their ADLs (Activities of Daily Living) You don’t even have to discuss this with either your current PT, or your surgeon, you don’t need their permission. Take charge of your recovery and do it your way, it’s your knee, not theirs.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.


This is the most inspiring thing I have read yet. Thank you. I am leaning towards canceling Monday because if I go, she will put me through my package s and if I refuse, why am I even bothering to go? I think I'm afraid of being difficult and argumentative.
My hospital / surgeon have us doing our PT at home - it’s a very structured but gradual programme and we are told to work up to the 10- 15 reps with each exercise. From week four we go to 10 exercises from the 5 I am doing just now- again to build up gradually .
 
My system is all out of whack. I'm 5 weeks post op LTKR. At first, constipated a week, then kind of crampy and going more than usual. Now, 5 weeks out, diarrhea hit. I stopped Hydrocodone at week 4, after constant nausea and switched to Tylenol and Ibuprofen. I hate this almost more than the actual pain from recovery! Now I'm taking Pepto Bismol forvmy symptoms and wonder of Lomotil might be better. Could it be a reaction to all the meds? The elimination of the 4 weeks of Hydrocodone? I'm just ready to feel better, I'm extremely irritable and depressed too, of course I hide it from everyone, but it's there. My knee is at 140, and range of motion is great for me, but I limp from the pain and my PT is trying to get me to walk without a limp...I can't, because it hurts!
 
TKR recovery is not a smooth road. It's a bump road. A lot of those bumps are simply unexpected and hard to fathom. Just be sure to be supplementing your potassium. I trust you'll get relief soon.
 
Hi all-I'm almost 5 weeks post complex FHR.Had 1st visit to physio today.I still can't fully weight bear now as the pain is awful but I could do a couple of weeks ago ?? My therapist says it's because I'm not taking my pain meds as much as I should !! It's a vicious circle....when I take the meds, I just wanna sleep so what do I do ????
 
Hi all-I'm almost 5 weeks post complex FHR.
:wave: @Loki Lover
Welcome to Bonesmart.
Not sure what you mean by FHR?
Did you have knee or hip surgery?
Can you please let us know which and which leg along with your surgery date?
Then we can start you a recovery thread if you need help and then you can get some great advice from "those who know" .
We will be glad to help you with a new thread or you can find instructions here.
 
Same here. I have had frequent diarrhea as well. Sometimes in the morning things are solid but then they get loose with subsequent bowel movements. It's been 3 months since my first TKR and I am on my second TKR now.
 
My system is all out of whack. I'm 5 weeks post op LTKR. At first, constipated a week, then kind of crampy and going more than usual. Now, 5 weeks out, diarrhea hit. I stopped Hydrocodone at week 4, after constant nausea and switched to Tylenol and Ibuprofen. I hate this almost more than the actual pain from recovery! Now I'm taking Pepto Bismol forvmy symptoms and wonder of Lomotil might be better. Could it be a reaction to all the meds? The elimination of the 4 weeks of Hydrocodone? I'm just ready to feel better, I'm extremely irritable and depressed too, of course I hide it from everyone, but it's there. My knee is at 140, and range of motion is great for me, but I limp from the pain and my PT is trying to get me to walk without a limp...I can't, because it hurts!
I moved your post, and it’s responses, to your own recovery thread, since the thread you posted on was from 2017. I’m glad you got good responses and hope things improve for you!
 
Same here. I have had frequent diarrhea as well. Sometimes in the morning things are solid but then they get loose with subsequent bowel movements. It's been 3 months since my first TKR and I am on my second TKR now.
Do you think it may be from all the different medications and trauma to the body? Honestly, I can say my appetite has been pretty terrible too. I'm eating a lot of bland food, i.e., toast, pretzels, saltines, which I find soothing.
Congratulations on facing the other TKR, it's not something I ever want to go through again. Do you find the recovery to be any different this time?
 
Can anyone tell me when the terrible aching in the knee goes away?

I know the pain of which you speak. On my first TKR that terrible bone aching pretty much let up between 11 and 14 weeks. Rest assured it DOES go away. Until then I recommend Arnica Massage Oil by Weleda. I never really believed in topical rubs but this stuff works like magic. I just reordered it on Amazon.

@Daveboy1810 I have a question since you have been through this twice. I find the doctors tend to paint rosy pictures, and tell you how you'll be dancing in 8 weeks, that kind of thing. My range of motion is pretty perfect, 145 degrees, and the only problems I seem to have are, as I said, the awful aching pain, and some swelling, nothing huge, but it's definitely there. I am 6 weeks out today, and I limp, due in part to my knee feeling achy and also with each step there is some pain. I find it impossible not to be tentative in my walk due to that, and the PT is telling me I am limping out of habit. This makes me so upset, because I'm limping because it hurts, not out of habit. Can you tell me, in your experience, is it "normal" for me to limp right now at 6 weeks out? How long does this usually go on? I wish someone understood what it feels like.
 
My range of motion is pretty perfect, 145 degrees, and the only problems I seem to have are, as I said, the awful aching pain, and some swelling, nothing huge, but it's definitely there. I am 6 weeks out today, and I limp, due in part to my knee feeling achy and also with each step there is some pain. I find it impossible not to be tentative in my walk due to that, and the PT is telling me I am limping out of habit.

Wow! Unicorn sighting! I had PKR a week before you, I have less ROM, have bone aches and not huge but definite swelling. You seem to be at the point where your sawed bones only need to heal. I read here and elsewhere that a broken bone takes 3 months to heal. I would guess in 6 more weeks you will be feeling even better.

You must have an amazing doctor and PT program or are a natural fast healer.
 
My range of motion is pretty perfect, 145 degrees, and the only problems I seem to have are, as I said, the awful aching pain, and some swelling, nothing huge, but it's definitely there. I am 6 weeks out today, and I limp, due in part to my knee feeling achy and also with each step there is some pain. I find it impossible not to be tentative in my walk due to that, and the PT is telling me I am limping out of habit.

Wow! Unicorn sighting! I had PKR a week before you, I have less ROM, have bone aches and not huge but definite swelling. You seem to be at the point where your sawed bones only need to heal. I read here and elsewhere that a broken bone takes 3 months to heal. I would guess in 6 more weeks you will be feeling even better.

You must have an amazing doctor and PT program or are a natural fast healer.
@beesknee I love the unicorn idea! I have no idea why my ROM is so incredible, and I am a little embarrassed to admit it was at 140 6 days out. I have no idea why! I keep asking how this could be, and my surgeon said he had never seen anyone have ROM that quickly. Still, even with all that, I limp along, feel pain when I walk and feel discouraged. Do you think it's because of the bones being sawed that I hurt, and that it will get better? Am I just ridiculous and being impatient?
 
I don't know about the so-called "typical" patient--but many of us on Bonesmart have taken 6 weeks to get to 90 degrees. If you have a lot of swelling it doesn't matter how hard you try, you aren't going to bend. Pure physics. I seemed to be "stalled" at 70 at week 4. Of course, my knee was the size of a cantalope (slight exaggeration.) :heehee:
My PT focused on icing and exercises in moderation. Lo and behold at week 6 I hit 90 and proceeded to gain bit by bit after that.
 
I don't know about the so-called "typical" patient--but many of us on Bonesmart have taken 6 weeks to get to 90 degrees. If you have a lot of swelling it doesn't matter how hard you try, you aren't going to bend. Pure physics. I seemed to be "stalled" at 70 at week 4. Of course, my knee was the size of a cantalope (slight exaggeration.) :heehee:
My PT focused on icing and exercises in moderation. Lo and behold at week 6 I hit 90 and proceeded to gain bit by bit after that.
That is encouraging to hear, that you proceeded to 90 degrees at 6 weeks.
Our knees do feel the size of a cantaloupe, don't they? :D
Thank you for letting me know I am NOT an anomaly :)
 
Last edited:
I love the unicorn idea! I have no idea why my ROM is so incredible, and I am a little embarrassed to admit it was at 140 6 days out. I have no idea why! I keep asking how this could be, and my surgeon said he had never seen anyone have ROM that quickly. Still, even with all that, I limp along, feel pain when I walk and feel discouraged. Do you think it's because of the bones being sawed that I hurt, and that it will get better? Am I just ridiculous and being impatient?

As stated above, it takes a full 12 weeks for your bones to heal so it's not surprising for you to still feel sore. Are you still taking pain pills, icing and elevating?
 
I love the unicorn idea! I have no idea why my ROM is so incredible, and I am a little embarrassed to admit it was at 140 6 days out. I have no idea why! I keep asking how this could be, and my surgeon said he had never seen anyone have ROM that quickly. Still, even with all that, I limp along, feel pain when I walk and feel discouraged. Do you think it's because of the bones being sawed that I hurt, and that it will get better? Am I just ridiculous and being impatient?

As stated above, it takes a full 12 weeks for your bones to heal so it's not surprising for you to still feel sore. Are you still taking pain pills, icing and elevating?
I'm icing and elevating, and I'm off the pain pills. I am taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen on a schedule which is pretty good. Definitely helps. The pain isn't constant, thankfully, and it's most evident when I walk. I am halfway there, 6 more weeks until 12!!
 
@Reader525 , I've moved this conversation you started in Gingerbread's thread over to your recovery thread as the posts were derailing the discussion of Gingerbread's concerns for her own recovery. We can talk in more depth here about your questions.

It's really impossible for another member to give you a perspective on how long certain aspects of recovery might take. At most they will have experienced only a few surgeries and recoveries. Every one is unique. You cannot compare one surgery with another. This is even true for cases where a surgeon does bilateral procedures on the same person at the same time. One joint will always be ahead or behind the other.

On the other hand, our BoneSmart staff has seen thousands of recoveries over the years and they CAN talk about what falls into a "normal" range. Trust me, you are actually ahead of normal with your recovery.

This is major surgery, even though surgeons do sometimes try to portray a partial knee replacement as "easier, faster, less painful, etc." than a full TKR. It's not the case. Your body still undergoes a lot of trauma that includes manipulation of soft tissue, cutting bones and hammering a metal prosthesis in place. You have narcotic pain meds and your system's normal functions are interrupted. Your whole body is impacted and must right itself as part of the recovery process. The good news is that it will do that.

Consider yourself fortunate to have great ROM and so little swelling and pain at 6 weeks. The only problem I see is with your therapist who is trying to push you to stop limping. The PT is right that you shouldn't limp. It's bad for your body on the whole and can tend to become a habit. But the therapist's approach is incorrect regarding how to deal with the limp.

If you are limping when trying to walk without aids and you have pain too, then it is too soon to stop using a walking aid - walker, cane or crutches. You need to keep using your aid until you can walk with good, long stride and no pain. You will not be able to force your body out of limping by trying to push yourself. This will only come once your leg is healed completely and strong enough to support the walking action. Until that day, please give it the assistance it's crying out for with whatever walking aid lets you walk without pain or a limp. Even if that's a walker (some people feel that using a walker for any length of time means they are "old" or "handicapped"), remember this is all temporary and you'll get there with some time.
 
Jamie said:
@Reader525 , I've moved this conversation you started in Gingerbread's thread over to your recovery thread as the posts were derailing the discussion of Gingerbread's concerns for her own recovery. We can talk in more depth here about your questions.

@Jamie, I am so sorry if I in any way took the "spotlight" away from @Gingerbread. I honestly don't understand how to post and be involved without adding to the conversations posted. This forum has saved my mind countless times and is invaluable. I appreciate your response to me and I apologise for derailing any conversations. From now on I will just ask my questions here!
 
No worries, Reader525. This happens sometimes and we're used to moving posts like this. We try to keep all the questions and concerns someone has about their own surgery in their recovery thread. That way we have a detailed history of your recovery all in one place. You'd be surprised how many times we need to go back and see how a recovery has unfolded to give the best information possible to a member. When those questions are scattered among many threads, it's impossible to get the whole story easily.

It's certainly okay to comment about something you have going on that is on the topic in someone else's thread. It's when a member asks a question about their recovery in another member's thread that the potential for the conversation to go off topic takes place. Posting can take some getting used to and we're always here to help. Don't worry.....you're doing just fine.
 
@Jamie, I was embarrassed, thanks for making me feel better. I know I am fortunate to have had such great ROM, but I am not the best at handling pain. The aching comes and goes but is hard to ignore, I sleep pretty well, so again, very lucky. But my walking is far from comfortable. My knee feel "full" in spite of it not being hugely swollen, and I feel awkward when I walk and it hurts with each stride. I read on here that weeks need to pass before these things subside, but I guess there's a part of me that worries they won't subside and I attribute that to this depression I have as a result of the inactivity and isolation. And of course, Covid doesn't help with that!
I followed up on @Daveboy1810 suggestion of the Weleda Arnica Oil and massaged it around my knee, carefully avoiding the incision area and just gently massaged it, especially at the back of my knee which is where a lot of my discomfort comes from. Do you know why that part would be sore when I walk? I tried looking it up but I couldn't find anything.
Thank you all so much, you have helped me beyond words.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom