TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

What a good report! I am one of those that has a problem with the bursa at the back of my TKR knee. Most of the time it's fine, but if I do too much then it will swell and become uncomfortable. When that happens I know that all I have to do is to slow down for a few days and the inflammation will go down.
 
I have been breaking open a vitamin E capsule and rubbing it on the incision area now that it is healed over. I find it does soften the tissue and keeps it soft for awhile. I have also heard silicone strips will do the same as well as flatten the scar. Haven't tried them yet. I do think the incision area has more give since starting a daily rub with the vitamin E. Aquafor is also something I see recommended, but haven't tried that either.
 
@GZGirl22 I am going to try the aquafor, only because I have some. I saw Vaseline on the listvtoo, thanks!
@sistersinhim Good to know I'm not the only one! It's such an unusual kind of pain, I hope eventually I will be able to do more without pain. I heard the "three months to up to one year" words today, and that reinforces the need to balance activity more. Thank you so much, because not being"the only one" means so much to.
 
@Reader525 , I apologize if you already answered this but are you icing the back of your knee as well as the front?
 
I used vitamin E lotion on knee #1 & regular creamy lotion on knee #2. The scars look the same-very pale and you'd have to really look to notice them.
I think (once the incision is completely closed) it can feel nice to massage with lotion, but you really don't have to use anything on the scars for them to heal nicely.
 
@Susie-Q I have been icing the back of my knee, but I don't do it more than a few times a day. The doctor seemed to think it was the bursa reacting to overdoing my exercises, i.e., doing leg raises with weights and all the rest every day. It can be a curse to be an overachiever. Sometimes doing nothing is doing more.
 
Sometimes doing nothing is doing more.
There are times during this recovery that we have to take a break and let the knee rest and heal. It’s one of the reasons we call this recovery a rollercoaster.
 
@Reader525 I use Bio-Oil, which was recommended to me by a friend who has been through TKR.
It is specifically for scars and I love the scent. I apply it twice a day, giving my knees a gentle massage. My 2 scars are fading nicely.
 
@sistersinhim @Jockette You have been so helpful and kind, and I could use some help tonight. I have really not done anything that would cause pain, if something hurts, I stop. But I am so troubled by trying to walk. My leg feels stiff and sore, and walking makes it ache. My leg wants to hyperstraighten, which is very uncomfortable, and I make a conscious effort to maintain an unlocked knee. I thought at first this was a sign of weak quadriceps, but I'm not sure. All I know is I can't walk without aching stiffness. I read on here that after 6 weeks most people are walking short distances, and I can't without pain. I feel like it's never going to feel better. I'll be at 8 weeks on Wednesday. Is there anything you can say that would make me feel better? Thank you again! By the way, I'm using the one crutch or the cane, just not when I'm walking the dogs.
 
By 8 weeks we all felt it would never get better. But it truly will.

A few posts back you mentioned:
The doctor seemed to think it was the bursa reacting to overdoing my exercises, i.e., doing leg raises with weights and all the rest every day. It can be a curse to be an overachiever.
It’s only been 4 days since you posted that. It can sometimes take weeks to recover from overdoing things. Have you stopped doing all that exercise, especially using the weights? How long is the walk with your dogs? Is the ground flat, or uneven?

Are you spending time sitting with your feet up, on an ottoman at least? At this point it doesn’t always have to be toes above the nose, though I did sleep that way for months.

When I was 4 months post op, I went away for the weekend to visit friends, and I totally overdid everything. By the time I got home my ROM was really bad and my leg was so tight. It took me a month to being to improve. And I really thought by 4 months it “shouldn’t“ take that long, but my knee was that upset.

We all heal differently and this recovery takes tons of time, especially when we have to recover from overdoing things. Try to be patient, and kind to your knee, it’s doing the best it can to heal, but it needs your help. Take a break from all your exercises, just walk your dogs carefully, and spend more time elevating your leg. If you do these things I think you’ll see an improvement, but it won’t happen in a matter of days. :console2:
 
@Jockette I know it's only 4 days since I wrote about my bursa, I'm just having a hard time finding the patience I obviously need.
I have stopped exercises, my PT consists of twice a week appointments, where I am gently stretched. No repetitive strength training. No more weights. I stopped it by explaining that it made me feel worse and since my ROM is so good, I didn't need to be put through that.
My reclining couch is where I sit with a wonderful folding U pillow on the foot rest which gives me a good elevation. I ice my knee pretty much at all times that I am sitting. I wear my compression socks again to help with the swelling.
My extremely slow walk with the dogs is on flat, solid ground and I walk perhaps what amounts to half a city block, if that, and every step causes stiffness and soreness.
Do you think anything is wrong? My PA had X-rays done and he said everything is 100% perfect. But why am I so sore? I keep being told I need to practice walking but it hurts. I am TERRIBLE with pain, it makes me anxious and a little distressed, it's hard for me to grasp that it will get better when going through it. Does that make sense?
 
You are doing a great job of doing all you can to help your body recover. But it really does take time. Lots and lots of time.

But why am I so sore?
You are sore because you had a surgery that causes a huge amount of trauma to your leg. Your tissues are angry and need time to settle down. They will.

I keep being told I need to practice walking but it hurts. I am TERRIBLE with pain, it makes me anxious and a little distressed, it's hard for me to grasp that it will get better when going through it. Does that make sense?
Yes this makes sense, I’m not good with pain, either.

For a while just do short walks within your house. Since it hurts so much to walk right now, is there someone else who can walk your dogs for a week or two, just so you can give your knee some more time to recover?

Are you taking anything for the pain?
 
@Jockette My husband can take care of the dogs, I just wanted to try and I feel as if after almost 8 weeks it might be getting tiresome for him, but it's probably just me worrying about being a burden. He hasn't complained.
I am off the opioids, because I didn't want to keep taking them and I was feeling nauseated and attributed that to the meds, but it might have been just the general recovery from surgery, I am pretty sensitive to anesthesia. I take 500 mg Tylenol and 600 mg Ibuprofen three times a day, every 6 hours. It doesn't really eliminate the pain, just takes it down a little. I have a friend who had both knees replaced 8 weeks apart and suggested Tramadol and Tylenol. She said it isn't as strong as opioids and is in another class and is better tolerated. Have you heard anything about it being an effective painkiller? I feel so weary of the pain I am considering it.
 
@Jockette My husband can take care of the dogs, I just wanted to try and I feel as if after almost 8 weeks it might be getting tiresome for him, but it's probably just me worrying about being a burden. He hasn't complained.
I am off the opioids, because I didn't want to keep taking them and I was feeling nauseated and attributed that to the meds, but it might have been just the general recovery from surgery, I am pretty sensitive to anesthesia. I take 500 mg Tylenol and 600 mg Ibuprofen three times a day, every 6 hours. It doesn't really eliminate the pain, just takes it down a little. I have a friend who had both knees replaced 8 weeks apart and suggested Tramadol and Tylenol. She said it isn't as strong as opioids and is in another class and is better tolerated. Have you heard anything about it being an effective painkiller? I feel so weary of the pain I am considering it.
Hello :)
I have been on Acetaminophen and Tramadol since surgery. Tramadol does take the edge off. I do find it not as sedating or nauseating as Oxycodone. In fact, it did not become a "scheduled drug" until 2014. I remember working in a facility and suddenly we had to start locking it up... So it is relatively new as far as being classified "narcotic".
It is definitely on the lower end and something worth considering.
 
@Gingerbread Thank you! I sent a message to my surgeon's office about getting an Rx for Tramadol. Of course that was 8 hours ago and I haven't heard anything back yet. My son is a pharmacist and he says it's not a "class C" which means it can't possibly be as heavy as Oxycodone. I just hated taking the opioids, I was miserable. Fingers crossed I hear back from the doctor tomorrow.
 
I noticed most of my pain after the first couple of weeks was in the form of what I call "stiff ache." Good pain control really helped with that.
 
@Gingerbread
Hello :)
I have been on Acetaminophen and Tramadol since surgery. Tramadol does take the edge off. I do find it not as sedating or nauseating as Oxycodone. In fact, it did not become a "scheduled drug" until 2014. I remember working in a facility and suddenly we had to start locking it up... So it is relatively new as far as being classified "narcotic".
It is definitely on the lower end and something worth considering.
@Gingerbread I took 1/2 Tramadol last night before bed and it didn't do anything, I had a pretty rough night with soreness and pain in the back of my knee when I changed positions during the night. This morning I took a full pill and I still felt pretty bad pain when I moved my leg. The prescription says take 1-2 every 6-8 hours so tonight I will try 2 pills. I hit the 8 weeks mark today. I don't feel any effect from the Tramadol, no drugged feeling or nausea, not like the opioids. But I'm wondering if I'm impeding recovery by not taking an effective painkiller. As fellow survivors, if the 2 Tramadol don't relieve the pain tonight, do you think it might be better to go back on the Hydrocodone and get through the next few weeks without pain? The 3 months mark by all accounts seems to be a time when for many people, the pain is much better, and I'm only 4 weeks away. Thank you in advance for helping me...always.
 
@Gingerbread
Hello :)
I have been on Acetaminophen and Tramadol since surgery. Tramadol does take the edge off. I do find it not as sedating or nauseating as Oxycodone. In fact, it did not become a "scheduled drug" until 2014. I remember working in a facility and suddenly we had to start locking it up... So it is relatively new as far as being classified "narcotic".
It is definitely on the lower end and something worth considering.
@Gingerbread I took 1/2 Tramadol last night before bed and it didn't do anything, I had a pretty rough night with soreness and pain in the back of my knee when I changed positions during the night. This morning I took a full pill and I still felt pretty bad pain when I moved my leg. The prescription says take 1-2 every 6-8 hours so tonight I will try 2 pills. I hit the 8 weeks mark today. I don't feel any effect from the Tramadol, no drugged feeling or nausea, not like the opioids. But I'm wondering if I'm impeding recovery by not taking an effective painkiller. As fellow survivors, if the 2 Tramadol don't relieve the pain tonight, do you think it might be better to go back on the Hydrocodone and get through the next few weeks without pain? The 3 months mark by all accounts seems to be a time when for many people, the pain is much better, and I'm only 4 weeks away. Thank you in advance for helping me...always.
I'm so sorry to hear of your pain! I understand how demoralizing this feels.
I would suggest consulting with your MD regarding returning to the Hydrocodone for a few weeks. The chances of becoming "addicted" are minimal. You are already cognizant of the dangers using narcotics long term; your MD won't give you more than is needed to get you through recovery. I would by all means do what is necessary to facilitate: A) restful nights sleep (SO important). B) as pain free ADL's as possible. C) happier days = better results all around.
Praying you find resolution TODAY. Please let us know how it goes :flwrysmile:
 
Praying you find resolution TODAY. Please let us know how it goes

@Gingerbread I don't know what I would do without you. I just sent a message to the PA at my surgeon's office telling him that the Tramadol isn't really helping and that I am considering going back on the Hydrocodone for a few weeks. I asked what he thinks about it and I'm waiting to hear back. I wish I knew why the back of my knee hurts so much, and what it would take for it to stop.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom