THR Rainbow Recovery for Great Aunt Janet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janet, thinking of you & so looking forward to hearing from you...with us doing our surgeries so close to each other within 6 days, "Twin Blitzenhipsagogo's" are like "two ships passing in the night" !! No distress signals needed here in US Florida, and believin and praying :angel:you won't either from out-back AUS !!
 
Dear @Great Aunt Jane, as I recall you did not expect to be back here on bonesmart.org until 4/10.
So I hope that you are reading all your well wishes and that you are back at home resting, icing, elevating, and healing. :friends::flwrysmile:
 
Dropping in to see....:nah:no I just have to be very patient (that is waiting a l-o-n-g time) :sad: but I am glad I can write you a note for when you get home dear Twin with that Blitzen hip luvin the changes and capable of doing infinite possibilities for you :loveshwr:!!!

(((hugs))) and (((heart-thoughts))) sending your way on my Day 10 - I have ptherapy homework uggghhh
oh I won't tell you about that quite yet...it's more than hospital pt is all I'll say:holysheep:
 
@@wcgirl, happy birthday! LOL, as far as waiting just think I have one more day than you. I am bringing the month of Rainbow hips to a close!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
, how about we bring it to a ~ Big Over the Rainbow celebration ~ finale - - ?? !
we got some amazing " Rainbows " to experience from April 7th on :loveshwr::wowspring::loveshwr:

I cannot take it all in from Aunt Janet, Trabski, Sunbunny, WC Girl, you, Webbie, & more that may share their journey with us.... that's some accumulation of amazing Rainbows....

As Aunt Janet would say (bless her).... and missing her....miss you @@Great Aunt Janet send ((((hugs)))
~ that's alot of "Blitzenhipsagoago" coming thru ~ !!!! :dancy: :loveshwr::dancy:

So we'll have one heaven of a finale !!!

(where the heck is our Big Over Rainbow icon ?!! hav to find one before our finale...)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Great Aunt Janet just stopped by to say hello I hope everything is going great I hope the opp went wonderfully ,the stay went ok at the hospital and the flight went well you should be home soon unless you stayed a bit longer I will pop in tomorrow night before I go in princess Fi xxx
 
Hi Aunt Janet! Just stopped in to see how things settled for you. All of your Bonesmartie friends are thinking of you! Hugs to you - let us know how you are doing when you can!
 
:yes!:Rainbow-bottomed and shinyblitzenhipsagogo, back home and all good! I’m dying to sit and read everyone’s threads and find out how everything is going for all my fellow hippies but I am gonna have to keep a lot of that for tomorrow once I’m all settled in.

I was completely terrified up to the point when the anaesthetist put that needle in my arm and ever since I have just been so relieved – I came out the other end and nothing awful happened, despite my overactive imagination. Docs, nurses and physios were all excellent, only barfed twice (and then not actually on anyone), although have discovered that Endone is a bit strong for my feeble mind.

Up and walking day 1 after, showered and stuffing down the prunes as soon as poss – the stuff that I could prepare for postop was myriad and so helpful – thanks to all the great Bonesmarties help and advice – I would have made a lot of mistakes otherwise. So no nasty bunged up effects, very glad.

30 cm lateral wound (I have very long thighs, said the acceptably good-looking surgeon – or was it femoral shafts, I dunno), superglue and steristrips. No leakage after the first day, drain out, catheter out, drank heaps and peed to order.

Got let out on Day 4 and moved to the hotel (disabled room – hadn’t thought about that till I stayed there the night before and saw how low the dunny was in an ordinary room) – and stayed there till today, exercising in the corridors – angel husband turned out to be the best and most solicitous nurse ever and kept me comfy and watered, and never complained about my night time ups and downs – bit of restless leg stuff really. Hardly any real pain, just the effects of swelling (no nickers nancy helped to prevent a dire VPL till the swelling moved about a bit) making things tight and sore.

We used a big selection of wheat bags to ice – they worked really well – not as cold as an icepack quite, but completely dry, so I will keep on with those now. The bruising goes from half way round my buttock down almost to my knee now, and across to my groin at the top. I think it feels better now it has all come out, will post a pic when I feel brave enough.

Am up and about on crutches, can really do fine on 1 but am using two for long exercise walks – only up to 8 minutes, no boasting, am taking it easy. I can put full weight on it but the physio recommended I used the extra support for the first 2-3 weeks, so I will.

The flight was a doddle, mostly because of my preparation (your advices again), the fantastic Qantaslink staff here, on the plane and in Brisbane, and my lovely husband. Got to airport in tons of time in a scary fast taxi J and checked in to my prebooked seat with spare one blocked beside me. I declined a wheelchair – they were so low! Tottered through security and set off the alarms as predicted but staff very kind and sorted me out. Got a golf buggy out to the plane steps and there were only 5 so I managed those easily. Sat up on a big pillow we brought along with us and it was all fine.

Had no problems getting in and out of our car to do the 500 metres back to the house this end – Bonesmart videos, so useful.

OK, time to stop, my typing is a bit hit and miss and I want to have a peek round before I go lie down again.

Hope all is well with everyone too. Speak to you soon!!! Jan XXXXXX
 
hey Janet - back in the land of the living - good on you!! sounds like you are a bit "text book" and going along nicely. Take care of you - Maggie x
 
Morning @Great Aunt Janet! Welcome to the other side! Haven been longing to hear how you got on! Well done, you are doing brilliantly! You have already helped me with the one crutch scenario...my PT said I only needed one but after a longish walk I agree two may be better! Rest and relax as much as possible, catch you again soon. Jo xxx
 
Hi @Great Aunt Janet
Glad you are back in the outback (conjuring up all sorts of junior school images of the outback). It is amazing when the worst bits have happened i.e. the waiting and the op!

My bruising was massive - down to my ankle. It was related afterwards to having hyper mobile joints (double jointed) so when the prosthesis was checked (pulled around to test it) in surgery it went further then usual!!! Does this apply to you?

I am so glad your first week is over and there will be lots of amazing times when you suddenly realise you have done something for the first time. Whoopee ... going forward.
Good luck! x
 
You were so prepared and organized! I am sure you will do very well with your attention to detail. Rest and heal.
 
Congratulations from one Aussie girl to another - well done on the trip home. Slow and steady now, but I sense you will pace your recovery very well!

I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the process of healing.

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and the medically acknowledged approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
Hey Janet! Good to see you back home and doing well! We're both now on the long haul that is recovery!
 
Hi @Great Aunt Janet So glad you're home and that all went well :yes!:

Welcome to the GOOD side... the Happy Hippy side :welome:

I was exactly the same as you.... right up to the point the anesthetic went in it was awful, then the relief that it was over... and the "what ifs" weren't anywhere as bad as I was expecting.... was HUGE!

Fifi's on this side too... she's had a bit of a rough start, barfing twice would have been a dream for her... but that is her tale to tell and once she's got something approaching reasonable internet coverage (and is fully able) she'll tell it I'm sure.... her phone doesn't even work in the hospital so it's been text messages for the main part - which isn't that satisfying - and hard on the digits (I've got RSI of the digits :heehee:). She's been moved to a different ward this evening (with lower beds... she's not blessed with long thighs... at ALL :heehee:) hopefully her bedside phone will work in her new bed... and she'll be able to ring out which she hasn't been able to do, so it's all been a bit hit and miss getting hold of her.

You sound like you are nice and mobile... I found that to be the best and most surprising part of recovery; how able I felt (and WAS) from so very early. Interesting about the security at the airport... it's the one thing I'm still unsure about; I really don't want to be embarrassed - yet couldn't give a tinkers toss (and will share to the point of overshare) if someone spots my scar :shrug:

Of course there's a way to go, and there will be a few hiccups, but you've made a super start - I'm sure it will continue :)

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom