Guest viewing is limited

PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

Thank you so much for your messages of support, I feel like I've got my own cheerleaders!

Day 1 has been ok. Went to the conf centre for an hour to check out my little office which is no more than a cupboard! Had a quick look around the centre then came back. Knee was complaining a bit by then. Rang for ice. Took 40 mins and a chasing phone call!! Not impressed. Iced and elevated for an hour. Showered, changed, topped up make-up then lovely vegetarian meal with lots of gossip with two work friends. Hotel bar for a chat, sat with a small sandwich bag of ice on my knee with leg up on the seat! Got a few strange looks but hey? Now icing and elevating before sleep. Knee is ok but needs to be rested now. Have upped my meds quite a bit so no pain other than tight bands, bit of stiffness and swelling. Really hope it is ok come the morning. Been using my cane all day like a good girl.

One work friend who I last saw about a month after surgery said I've really progressed. News to me but nice to hear, lol. The other friend saw me for the first time today and said I'm much better than she was expecting!
 
Sounds like you are having a good time, and I am so glad for you. The esprit de corps will be so good for your soul, your knee will feel the good energy.
 
@Raffs - Glad to hear! I'm hoping after icing and resting tonight, tomorrow will be a good day!

Have upped my meds quite a bit so no pain other than tight bands, bit of stiffness and swelling.
Meds are to help you manage the pain, so go for it!! That it what they are made for..

While I think I'm not making progress, it's comments from others (like yours) that help me realize that I am. I completely understand the difference.. (Sigh)
 
Hadn't realised you were there already, for some reason l thought you were going down today. I think l mentioned that although we don't think we're making progress, others see changes that we don't. Keep on icing and take it easy of you can.
 
Good for you. Glad the travel went well. Enjoy...as much as you can!
 
Reasons I'm glad I came to the conference: seeing work friends, feeling that I'm still very much a part of the team, laughing, teasing, chatting, flirting, catching up, dressing up, eating out, talking about things not knee related, getting huge hugs from everyone.

Reasons I wish I hadn't come: knee is very very very unhappy. Stiff, tighter than it's ever been, swollen and sore. Too much sitting, too much walking (even though I've done the absolute minimum), not enough resting or elevating. Hating people seeing the cane first and the person second. Being so slow at everything. Relying on others for so much help. Having to take a taxi everywhere. Worrying that there is something wrong with my knee - should it really be this bad at 11 weeks? Seeing how far from normal I still am.

The jury is still out as to whether I regret coming or not. One more day and night to go. Have stayed in tonight with room service as knee bad and weather unspeakable.

It is definitely too soon to be doing this. @Josephine please know you were totally right and I deserve an "I told you so"!!

But I've laughed so much that it almost makes it worth it.....!
 
@Raffs - Glad there is so much positive about your conference adventure.. Sorry that your knee is not a happy camper, and all that goes with that. Hang in there and try to enjoy the most out of your remaining time. Looking forward to your final assessment and "words of wisdom" to others facing a similar choice. :yes:
 
Raffs, thanks for the update. Been thinking of you, and glad you found the time to let us know how things are going. And I wish they were going better for you physically. Guess the knee doesn't want that chocolate after all.

"seeing work friends, feeling that I'm still very much a part of the team, laughing, teasing, chatting, flirting, catching up, dressing up, eating out, talking about things not knee related, getting huge hugs from everyone." :::dancing happy jig with big grin on my face::: I'm so glad for you. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered for happiness and fun and joy.

Just a thought for tomorrow: Would it be possible to get a wheelchair from the hotel or the conference center which you could borrow for the day? Preferably one with foot rests that you can adjust so you can elevate your operated leg. I don't know how large your hotel or the conference center are, but it's possible that they might have one. Maybe the concierge (if there is one) could round you up one. Cutting out that 10 minutes walking to and from the conference center, plus all that time on your feet once you're there might make a difference in keeping your knee placated so the journey home won't be too bad.
 
Much better today! Been wearing my neoprene support and knee feels so much better. Icing and elevating now then off out for dinner. Will post a proper update soon.
 
Reasons I'm glad I came to the conference:talking about things not knee related
...
Reasons I wish I hadn't come: knee is very very very unhappy
...
The jury is still out as to whether I regret coming or not.
...
But I've laughed so much that it almost makes it worth it.....!

It sounds like while it's been a bit rough, it's what you needed! And they do say laughter is the best medicine. :)
 
It is definitely too soon to be doing this. @Josephine please know you were totally right and I deserve an "I told you so"!!
I'm sayin' nowt!
[Bonesmart.org] Raffs' Recovery Thread<'
 
Enjoy the good things about the conference, @Raffs , and be prepared to do lots of rest, elevating and icing afterwards.
 
Being that misery loves company, I am relieved about your updates as much as I feel for you. I have been I a quite a slump. Haven't been on here in forever. The last time I read your posts I felt like I was trailing far behind in the dust. I see that my leg has progressed, without question. I walk around my house unassisted.....but,.....
The swelling is still quite substantial. And yes, I am at the exact stage as u are in recovery, and the pain is still pretty substantial. I will talk to my dr about gabapentin thanks for informing us abut that. Maybe I too should try it as I feel recover in the pain management area is stagnant.
 
Hang in there! I have found that week 12 really is better, so hoping that will be the case for you. I hate to even post that in case I jinx it! Everyone told me 3 months and things will be pretty good but I didn't know if that would really happen. Enjoy your last day of your conference.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Raffs -- I am sorry your knee is complaining, but laughter is great medicine--so I hope the time with friends outweighs the pain. And a chance to get out of the house can be good for the psyche, too.
 
Hello! Thank you all so much for your messages of support and encouragement. Really appreciate everyone taking the time to stop by.

The neoprene support was a game changer. Don't know why I didn't think to wear it earlier than Tuesday! With it on the knee felt more stable, less tight, less swollen and less painful. It helped me to really enjoy the latter part of the conference.

I am seriously concerned about my knee though. Not because of the conference but because of how it feels at 11.5 weeks out. I'm seeing my OS on Tuesday and have a lot of concerns that I want to raise with him.

Surely it can't be right that I need to wear a support in order to live a reasonably normal life? The fat pad is still swollen, the bottom of the knee is still swollen, there are two tight bands that won't quit and there is a very sore/tender/painful spot where I can feel the joint moving just below the patella. None of these issues have improved at all in weeks. I am trying not to worry until I see him on Tuesday but it is hard not to think that something is seriously wrong.

Other than knee problems, I did really enjoy the conference and am glad I went. I needed to get back out there and it was really good fun. Now I'm back working from home again until another conference on Sept 26th, then vacation from Oct 7th then I don't know what will happen re work but not thinking about that right now.

Will try to catch up with all your threads over the weekend. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
@Raffs so happy your conference went well and that you were able to enjoy the last part of it using the compression sleeve. Sorry to hear about your continued issues with your knee though, it's good that you are seeing your OS on Tuesday. Hopefully you will get some answers. Hope you have a restful and pain free weekend :).
 
I can certainly understand why you are concerned. Be sure and press you OS for answers--they do have a way of glibly tossing away people's worries.
 
@Raffs - I too, and glad you were able to enjoy the rest of your conference. It will be good to hear what your OS says on Tuesday. Sounds like maybe you should give yourself and your knee a break this weekend and just relax and take it easy? Hope it feels better!!! :yes:
 
I am curious to hear what you find out on Tuesday. Happy your conference was fun though.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom