PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

I am seriously concerned about my knee though. Not because of the conference but because of how it feels at 11.5 weeks out. I'm seeing my OS on Tuesday and have a lot of concerns that I want to raise with him.

Surely it can't be right that I need to wear a support in order to live a reasonably normal life? The fat pad is still swollen, the bottom of the knee is still swollen, there are two tight bands that won't quit and there is a very sore/tender/painful spot where I can feel the joint moving just below the patella.
I'll be very interested to hear what your surgeon says.

Some of the problems you mention are possibly because you're still only 11+ weeks out from surgery, in a recovery that takes a full year. That's a bit soon to be expecting a reasonably normal life. It's normal for swelling to linger for months, and the same applies to that tight band feeling. Whereabouts is this swelling that you call the fat pad?

I'm more concerned that you think you can feel the joint moving - although that's hard to diagnose over the internet.

Do let us know what your OS says.
 
Thanks everyone. Knee has improved after a few days of rest. Still got the same issues but they're reduced. I've been making a conscious effort to remind myself of all the things I can do now that I couldn't do a few weeks ago to remind myself how far I have come. Focussing on the positive instead of the negative. Looking forward to my OS appointment on Tuesday and will post a full report after I've seen him.

@Celle The fat pad is on the lateral side of my knee at the bottom. Both the OS and PT call it the fat pad.
 
12 weeks today! Saw my OS this morning.

He sent me for an x ray. Implant is fine. Patella is tracking fine.

The small tender and sore area is a combination of IT band issues and also the irritated and swollen fat pad. Should resolve in time. He said some people have swollen fat pads for a few months.

He said I have lots of irritated soft tissues and tendons which are causing the swelling and tight band feeling. Again, will resolve in time. He described it as "everything is re-organising following the surgery". I like that description.

The tight band under my knee is the patella tendon which is still inflamed.

The tight band across the front is the usual scar tissue issue.

All the "movement" within the joint that I can feel is totally normal.

Need to start doing my PT exercises again as everything needs strengthening.

He said that I am still in the acute stage of recovery and that the issues I have are not uncommon. He said to expect full recovery to take up to a year - exactly what BS says!

He has no problem with me using a knee support/compression sleeve if it helps.

I'm seeing my PT on Friday and the OS again in 2 months.

He said that next time I see him we can discuss doing my left knee. Eeek! Not yet thanks!

I've had a few hours to process what he said. I'm pretty happy, all seems to be ok and things will continue to improve. Just need that elusive patience!!

I'm so sorry not to have kept up with your threads recently. Life has taken over. But I intend to rectify this as soon as I can. Thanks for your continuing support.
 
Lynn, so glad you had a good appointment with OS. I know it made me feel better when my OS said I had pain because I was only halfway through the healing process. At least you know you are on the right track.
 
@Raffs so pleased for you. Patience, dear girl, patience. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint!:heehee:
 
That's a very good report and I bet it eased most of your worries!

I have a long list of questions for my OS for October 13th. I hope he's ready for 'em. :D
 
I'm very glad your surgeon told you that everything will settle down, given time. It must be reassuring to know that there is nothing wrong.

Now, when you start PT again, take it easy. Increase your activity slowly - you don't want to further irritate those soft tissues that are already inflamed. Do lots of rest, elevation and icing after PT.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you have no serious problems. I know what you mean about how hard it becomes to keep up with everyone's threads once you go back to work. I really like the supportive give and take, so am really trying to keep up!
 
@Raffs glad there is no major issues with your knee, just normal things that will resolve with time. It's good that you are getting on with life, means the knee is becoming secondary. I'll be glad to go back to work in a couple of weeks and get on with my life. I'll be glad to be the boss again lol! Of course I'm doing this all over again in January...
 
@Raffs - Great update! Glad to hear your OS says you are progressing normally.. and that all is good. :yes!:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear all is well. Having another focus, such as work, does seem to help recovery and as @bdink21 says the knee becomes secondary - which is how it should be - and you will ween yourself off bonesmart until the next time!!!
Good that your surgeon has reassured you and you feel happier.
 
@Raffs glad your os told you you are doing well
I'm like you 9 1/2 weeks out and have what you call the fat pad and also that tightness.
Does flexing or cycling help the tightness go away
Your os is like mine telling me up to a year
Remember some days are better than others
 
Thank you everyone. I feel horribly guilty for abandoning you all over the last couple of weeks. Life and work have truly taken over. I miss BS terribly and cannot wait to sit down for hours on end and read all your threads and catch-up. BS was there for me when I really needed it and I so want to be here to help others as they go through their recoveries. I fear that this will not happen soon though as I am off to Brighton again (!) tomorrow for another conference. I am going away to Cyprus for a week on October 7th and as the hotel has wifi I shall make it a priority to catch up then whilst lying on my sunlounger!

Knee has been ok this week. Bought two lighter weight compression sleeves at the weekend and they really help to keep the swelling down and the knee fairly pain free. I shall, of course, be taking them to Brighton with me tomorrow and hopefully they will enable me to have plenty of fun without upsetting the knee too much. Going away to the other conference made me realise how much I have missed being out in the world after 8 months or so of working from home and living a much-reduced life.

Saw my PT today. ROM is now 130/0 - yay to that! Quad strength sucks but he very sensibly gave me just one exercise to do which will help to strength the quads but is done sitting down so hopefully it won't cause the fat pad to become more irritated. He showed me how to stretch and massage my IT band properly too. PT agrees with the OS that once my muscles are stronger then my IT band will become less irritated and the swelling in the fat pad should also lessen.

@Dearjr Flexing definitely helps the tightness go away but unfortunately cycling does irritate my IT band so I have to keep my cycling to a minimum for now.
 
@Raffs glad to hear you are doing well
What sitting exercise is that for the quads?

I'm at 116/2. My os said my knee can get to 125
Hope you have fun and your knee behaves at the conference
 
@Dearjr Sitting leg extensions with a resistance band - Google it to get an idea. Your ROM is good, you're very close to 125 now. Thanks re the conference - I intend to have a lot of fun!
 
@Raffs thanks. I will try it
As for rom I can do things that I couldn't do before. Although my final goal is 120
 
@Raffs - Great update! You are truly "getting on with life"! That's exactly what we are ALL trying to do through this process! I go back to work next Thursday, and I know I too, will have less time to dedicate to keeping caught up with everyone's story.. (It's hard enough when we're not working!! :heehee:) And I agree. I too have gotten so much out of this site that I want to be there for others as well. This journey has been (and continues to be) a learning process.. and to share with others to help them along the way is a great thing..

Just visit when you can.. and we'll be happy to hear how you're doing! :cheers:
 
Wow, another conference so soon! This time will be much more fun. Enjoy!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom