PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@Raffs Glad Josephine confirmed the ITB pain. That's where I suffer too, thought it was but good to have it confirmed.
 
@CATSMUM Yeah, good to know but not good to know if you know what I mean!! What do you do for yours as well as self massage?
 
@Raffs Not a lot more, I did try a TENs machine but that didn't really help. A Physio l saw last year recommended rubbing a tennis ball up and down that area which hurt more than helped too! I've seen an ITB band support (goes round the top of the knee) but not sure how good they would be.
 
@CATSMUM Thanks. I'll do the knuckle massage and the stretches for now and will speak to my PT and OS - seeing them both on 22 Sept. And seeing my GP that day too - getting the full check!

Knee is sore today. It swelled up last night for no apparent reason. I'd had a quiet day, working at home, icing regularly, walking around the house, only did the stairs twice during the day. Went to slimming club (lost 3lbs - yay!), had to wait in line for a while to pay and weigh, when I got up after sitting in the class for just over an hour it was really swollen and tight, had trouble walking back to the car. Grrrrr! Iced and elevated for a couple of hours when I got home and it felt better at bedtime. Didn't keep me awake, which I appreciated! It isn't particularly swollen today but had a horrid "elastic band" tight band around it when I got up so I iced it for a while whilst working and that helped a lot. Also took some pain meds. The sore/tender/painful spot is worse today too. This is not helpful two days before I go to Brighton, it is made me slightly apprehensive about going. I emailed the hotel to ask them about getting ice quickly and easily. They have replied to say that I can call room service whenever I need it or I can ask reception to arrange for it to be delivered to my room at pre-arranged times throughout the day. I think I'm going to go for the latter, assuming they are efficient enough to deliver on time! I don't want to be waiting for yonks for it to arrive when I need it or when I'm on a time limit. I'll probably ask the bar/café in the conference venue for ice during the day. I've practised this morning putting some ice cubes into a sealable sandwich bag and putting the bag into the cover/cuff that came with the single use Kookpaks I've bought. It works well for about 30 mins or so and then the ice melts and starts leaking so I end up with a wet knee. Not too bad though if I get desperate. I never in my life thought that ice would be so important to me, other than when making a Cosmopolitan or putting a bottle of champers on ice, of course!

Now, please all send a message to the knee to calm down and behave herself so Mistress can go to her conference in relative calm!! Thank you.
 
This is a message to @Raffs knee...for the next few days you need to leave her be in relative calmness. Yes, she'll keep you iced and even give you meds as needed. Other than that, leave her be. Let her attend this much awaited conference without worrying about you!

There, how was that?
 
Sounds like you have a good plan for your conference. I don't ice much anymore, maybe I need to!
 
@momweb Oh that did make me LOL! Thank you, I needed that!

@tigwy11 I'm icing a lot again in an attempt to get rid of the last patch of swelling. I also find it such a good pain reliever which means I can take less meds. I'm so nervous about the conference and how the knee will behave.
 
I find icing really helps to ease the discomfort. Found out from Easyjet that you can't take the instant ice packs in your checked in baggage! Guess it's due to the bag you have to burst inside them. Oh well, at least it's a shortish flight. Hope you get on ok with your walk to the salon and your knee behaves!
 
@Josephine I hope you don't mind me tagging you again but I am concerned about my knee today.

You will see from above that it swelled up last night but was ok again after icing and resting. When I got up this morning it had a very thin "elastic band" tight band around the middle of it, this did ease off somewhat after icing. Today I've been working from home (sitting at my desk with my foot up on my footrest for approx. 7 hours with breaks of course to walk around) plus doing the usual meal prep (simple breakfast and lunch for myself), bathroom trips, walking around the house, showering, dressing etc. I've iced on and off all day. I've sat on the sofa for an hour or so elevating and icing during my lunch break. I've just been out to an appointment - it is about a 10 min walk up a hill to get there and a 10 min walk back down the hill. During my appointment I was lying down (beauty salon). As I walked home the tight band feeling got worse and worse until it felt like a clamp around my knee. My gait isn't too bad as I am using my cane and my knee still has the kinseo tape on it which makes me walk better.

My question is this: should I be concerned? I'm just over 10 weeks out and am worried about how such a little amount of walking can cause it to feel so tight. Is this normal for this point in my recovery? Am I doing too much activity? Should I still be icing on and off all day at this point?

When I saw my OS (Richard Carrington from the RNOH, Stanmore) at my 6 week check-up he said I was progressing really well. I'm due to see him again on 22 Sept.

I'm going to a work conference from Saturday to Wednesday (I'll be able to sit down most of the day and can go back to the hotel whenever I need to) and am now beginning to have serious doubts about it.

Thank you.
 
@Raffs 's knee.. You REALLY need to settle down a bit so that Raffs can enjoy and focus on the conference. She's been SOOO nice to you, trying to help you heal.. now it's time to return the favor. I know sometimes you get emotional, but really, get a grip (or let GOOO of the grip!:heehee:), relax and enjoy the field trip you're about to go on with Raffs.. :heehee: Raffs is doing everything she can do to help you. Now, for the next several days, take a :chillpill: and just go with the flow..

Raffs- hope that helps.. :yes:

So sorry your knee is so unpredictable with it's behavior. I know I'm two weeks behind you, but mine is pretty inconsistent too. Some days it feels relatively good, other days, for no apparent reason, it seems much more stiff. I ask the same questions.. Am I doing enough? Am I not doing enough? Am I doing something wrong? I'll be interested to see what Josephine says.

Overall, I think you're doing GREAT. (for whatever reason, I'm not getting notified when you update your thread, so I feel like I'm constantly behind and trying to catching up. :sad:) Hopefully you'll do really well with your conference. I'm sending positive thoughts and hugs to help get you through.. :flwrysmile:
 
@Raffs Really sorry to hear that you are struggling so much with your knee, it's probably just overdoing things, but good idea to ask Josephine. Like Braunzie, I'll be very interested in her answer as my knee also behaves like that, in fact it was like it this afternoon. Don't forget, you're still only 10 weeks post op and working daily, albeit from home and recovery is long haul with this. Sending you a big hug :friends::console2:
 
@Braunzie and @CATSMUM . Thank you. I'm a wobbly mess at the moment so your posts are very much appreciated. @CATSMUM Does your knee feel tight as anything when you've been out for a short walk? I didn't know that, I thought yours was sore and uncomfortable afterwards, I didn't realise you had the "clamp of the damned" around it too? I don't wish it on anyone ever but it makes me feel a teensy bit better knowing that it is not only me who has this going on. Thanks again both.
 
It does, quite often like it when l do too much. My Physio tells me it's the itb band. Believe you me, they're a lot more bonesmarties on here that have the same problem, you're not alone. I had this problem with my left tkr and it took about 6 months to fully settle. I iced it for about 6 months too.
 
@Raffs so sorry to hear your knee is being such a pain. So frustrating!! Hopefully it will settle down and behave for your conference.
 
Dear @Raffs' knee

If you promise to ease up and let Raffs enjoy herself this weekend and next week at Brighton, I'll send you a big box of Ghirardelli chocolates straight from California!

I'll have Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter come to Brighton and do a special, private performance of "By the Sea" https://duckduckgo.com/?q=by+the+sea+carter+depp&t=ffsb&ia=videos&iai=yWGxNtIc-EA

Raffs, I hope you get this sorted. Really.

I used to hike, and I had to give it up some time ago because of my knee. I noticed that going uphill was hard -- and that going downhill was HARDER. I know you're not living in the flatlands and you want to get back to living your independent life as soon as you can... but I'm wondering if the trip up and downhill to your hairdresser was too much for your knee. Walking on an incline puts more pressure on the joint than walking on the level. Any chance of getting a taxi or a lift next time you need to go somewhere up or downhill? Just sayin'
 
@Josephine I hope you don't mind me tagging you again
You can tag me when ever you want if you have a question. That's what I'm here for!
I've just been out to an appointment - it is about a 10 min walk up a hill to get there and a 10 min walk back down the hill. During my appointment I was lying down (beauty salon). As I walked home the tight band feeling got worse and worse until it felt like a clamp around my knee. My question is this: should I be concerned?
I'm not surprised! A 10min walk there and back your be bad enough but up and down a hill? That's asking for trouble!
I'm just over 10 weeks out and am worried about how such a little amount of walking can cause it to feel so tight. Is this normal for this point in my recovery? Am I doing too much activity?
Far too much I don't suppose you used a walking stick on your jaunt out to the beauty salon? Did you read this article Activity progression for TKRs? It's a;l covered in there.
I'm going to a work conference from Saturday to Wednesday (I'll be able to sit down most of the day and can go back to the hotel whenever I need to) and am now beginning to have serious doubts about it.
Being able to sit down is only a minor point - read this Pain: Movie sign in TKR. By my calculation, you'll still only be about 11 weeks out and my recollection is that I wouldn't have gone out for a day trip then, much less a 5 day conference. But it's not just the conference, it's the journey there and home, the walking between conference centre and hotel, getting up early and sitting in the lectures, queueing for coffee and standing to drink it and chat. Yes, you see, I know all about conferences - as it happens I shall be going to one myself next week and I'm not looking forward to it because it's so darned tiring! I strongly suggest you give it a miss if you can. There'll always be another one!
 
Ooh, I know Josephine's advice was not what you wanted to hear. Let's have another go at your knee:

Hello, little angry man in Raff's knee. We know you are very important and that you are the boss. You can relax now. Take a long rest and loosen up that belt. You are getting very sleepy now. That's it. Just chill for a few days. Raffs needs to be able to move around so she can get ice for you. And I hear a special friend sends nice kneemen chocolate. So just relax.
 
@bdink21 Thank you, much appreciated.

@SarahJane Thank you! My fave chocs are the caramel or pumpkin spice or peppermint bark squares! Just so you know....! Cannot believe you remembered that scene from Sweeney Todd. It's funny but my bathing suit is exactly the same as Sweeney's fetching striped one! I know I need to avoid the hill and I will do for the next few weeks as much as I can. It's difficult though as all around here is too hilly for walking after knee surgery.

@Slainte Thank you too. I hope he's listening!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom