Hello everyone!
16 weeks today - thought I would post an update - thank you so much for still thinking about me and asking how I'm doing.
Had a lovely trip to Cyprus. Hotel was very posh, ate and drank too much, lazed around like a sloth. Weather was hot - approx. 30 degrees C/86 degrees F. Knee didn't love the heat but it was ok. I iced twice when it was feeling a bit swollen after a day in the sun. I kept it covered up with a cloth wrapped around it as I didn't want to burn or irritate my scar. I used my elasticated knee support during the evenings so that I could walk around without thinking about the knee too much. It didn't like the steps/steep slope down to the beach but it was ok. All in all, the knee didn't affect my enjoyment of the trip at all - I walked on the beach, swam in the pool, paddled in the sea and laid on my sunbed like a normal person! I did notice a few people staring at my scar which kind of annoyed me but, hey, nothing I could really do about that.
I still have the same issues with the tight band feeling but it comes and goes, sometimes it is worse than others, I try to ignore it as best I can and just get on with things. I still also have some swelling and warmth in the same area - the fat pad - but again this is improving and most of the time I can just ignore it.
I am trying to limit when I wear my support. I don't wear it around the house at all, even when doing housework or ironing now. I try not to wear it for short trips out but I do wear it when I am travelling on the subway or doing more walking. I hope to be able to wean myself off of it completely over the next few weeks but I am in no hurry.
Am I fully recovered? No, not at all. Still quite a long way to go but I am so much more relaxed about it now. I can see that slow improvements are still being made and there is very little of my "normal" life that I cannot now do. OK, I can't run nor can I walk very far yet or jump or kneel but I can walk without a limp and at a decent pace and I have even started dancing around the house again! I am confident that I will be able to walk further and perhaps even run for the bus as time goes on.
The "hill from hell" doesn't bother me now - going up is absolutely no problem at all and coming down is fine as long as I am wearing my support. This is a HUGE achievement as you guys know how much I was bothered by Hillgate a couple of months ago.
I have PT for the first time in over a month this Friday. I have been very lazy and not done the one exercise that he asked me to do so I am now doing a few reps every day so that he isn't completely annoyed with me, lol! I do need to do the exercise as I know my quad is still weak. I can walk downstairs ok now but I have to hang onto the handrail and go slowly and I would like that to improve.
It is likely that I will be returning to an office within the next couple of weeks. I asked my boss if I could work out of our other London office and she has said yes. I just need to check that there is space for me and that IT can set me up with the necessary equipment and access. I cannot wait to get back out there after being stuck working from home for nearly 9 months!!!!!!!!!
The bosses viewed several properties last week and have made an offer to rent part of the 6th floor in a very swanky looking building. There are other interested parties, unfortunately, but hopefully we will be successful and I'll have a new, accessible and permanent office by the end of the year. Please keep your fingers crossed.
My calendar is packed with social events between now and Christmas - I've gone a bit crazy arranging to see all my friends and family now that I am able to go out and enjoy socialising - my bank balance and waistline will not thank me but I know my soul will thank me! I think the emotional and psychological impact of everything that has happened to me this year has only really hit me now and I need to keep busy and see people I love and keep moving forwards, I don't want to dwell on the time I've lost, I want to look forward to the time I have in front of me.
The only really small "bleurgh" on the horizon is my left knee which is starting to complain in exactly the same way as my right knee did this time last year. I am going to speak to the OS about it when I see him on November 24th. I want to go down the painkillers/injections route first though - I am so not ready for another surgery just yet!
Well, think that's all for now, folks. Sending you all lots of love and good wishes and hope you are all doing well.