PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@Josephine Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated.

The hill is causing me such a problem. My street is a slight incline and when I get to the end either left or right is a hill, pretty steep both ways. It's been really difficult to do any walking outside. But if I don't do the hill occasionally then I'm pretty much a prisoner in my own home until the weekend when hubby is home and we can go out. I don't drive so that doesn't help. It's definitely not helped my confidence or walking or recovery.

Yes, I did use my cane. Thanks for the article, I have seen it before and just re-read it.

The movie sign article is very interesting, I should be able to walk around regularly at the conference as I'm working in an office on an exhibition stand and my colleagues know I'm not back to full functionality yet so breaks will be fine and I can ice all day if I need to.

I feel I need to show my face at the conference for "political" reasons. I haven't worked in my office since January because of my knee so feel a certain pressure to show my face and remind the powers that be that I'm still alive and still can do my job and do it well. I also kind of need them to see me not fully recovered, using my cane, limping a little, sitting down a lot, not rushing around. I'm known as a bit of a whirlwind and I'm more like a gentle summer breeze right now. The reason for this is that there is a situation regarding my place of work - 8 flights of stairs and no lift - I've told them outright that I cannot return there (mainly because of the pressure it will put on my left knee as well as irritating the operated knee) but I don't think they realise how serious I am about not returning as there is talk of "adapting" the building to suit but really there is very little that can be done to change the layout. They are looking for alternative premises and I think if they see me then they'll realise that this is the only option and may give them a push to actually get it sorted. Like many things in life, it's complicated.

I'm going to speak to a colleague this morning and will then make the decision .

Thanks again.
 
Its difficult when your area is not flat. We live on a hill too and its steep which ever way you walk.
At first I really took my time and in some places traversed diagonally - zigzagged - down the pavement and always took my two crutches to help distribute the weight. Its more comfortable to go up rather than down. Im still careful on the downward journey as there is some gravel in a couple of places and I don't want to slip or slide, I take my time but its got much easier. It will for you too.
Good luck with your conference. I hope all goes well and that HR listen and give you the support you need regarding the building issues.
 
@Raffs, so sorry you're having these difficulties. I know what it's like to feel pressure about work. You have to decide what is best for you. Since everyone recovers differently, no one really knows exactly how you feel but you. If you do go to the conference, make sure everyone knows that you are still recovering from the surgery. Wave that cane around so everyone knows you need it. And REST A LOT!! Good luck!
 
@Raffs boy do I feel for you. I'm retired so I don't have all those work issues, Thank you Lord!! We live in a pretty flat area with inclines. Now, if those inclines bother me, I can imagine how hills affect you. We went to the theater the other night and I had to walk up a hill to get from the parking lot to the actual theater. There was a railing so getting up the hill was ok. Getting down was another story. I held the railing and my husband for dear life. The pressure on the knees was almost unbearable! You just have to take it really slow. The good thing is once you're at that Conference, there won't be any hills!!! Enjoy and show those folks what you can do!
 
@Hopper Thank you. My friend suggested the zig zag walk as well when I spoke to her today. I will give it a go.

@Swish Thank you. I will rest a lot and let others do the running around.

@momweb I would be just the same as you walking down that hill. I feel very unsteady and unsure. I'm going to try to knock 'em dead!
 
After speaking to my colleague at length today I've decided to give the conference a go. I'm not 100% sure it's the right decision but if I didn't go then I would spend the time wondering if I should have gone. As she said to me, if it really is too much then I can come home. I've got my instant ice packs and equipment to ice using ice cubes. Got plenty of meds, my cane and my knee support and we've re-taped my knee up today. Suitcase is packed.

Hair at 9am tomorrow, nails at 12pm (no walking to salon!) then travelling which should take a couple of hours plus a break.

I'll try to keep updating when I can. Please forgive me if time doesn't permit me to post on your threads for a few days. I'm taking Thursday off as I know I'll be exhausted so I'll catch up properly then.

Wish me luck and thanks to all!
 
I'm known as a bit of a whirlwind and I'm more like a gentle summer breeze right now.
Love the analogy!

It's been really difficult to do any walking outside. But if I don't do the hill occasionally then I'm pretty much a prisoner in my own home
That's one of the prices you pay for having a TKR. But it's not forever and it's so easy to create a severe tendinitis which could take a lot longer than the temporary restriction to barracks to get resolved. What about a taxi?
 
Go @Raffs !!! Hope all goes well. Take care of yourself.. Listen to your knee and rest when you need to. We will all be anxiously awaiting your updates, but understand if you don't have a lot of time to do so.. #1 focus is you and your knee.. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy your conference and your knee will listen to all the "urging" it has gotten from your friends here... :yes!:
 
You go @Raffs ! Today at my new PT, I was basically, in very nice terms, told I was a wuss and needed to "man" up or in my case "woman" up. My lack of confidence is all in my head. The knee is healed, I can't hurt it, but I can help it! So, I'm going to take the positive from all that, I think, and tell you the same thing. We can do this! It's time to move on, I'm glad you're going to the Conference. Yes, there may well be pain and swelling, but we know what to do about it! We're prepared! Lynn, you're ready for this! I'm so proud of you! Hopefully, you'll have time to enjoy what you've set out to do. Looking forward to hearing from you when you return!:loveshwr:
 
Raffs, don't be worried, you got this! You gotta try sometime! I'm so nervous for my first flight next week. Let's be brave for each other!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne best of luck with your flight. We're flying from Connecticut to Arizona at the end of October. We paid a little extra so we could get the extra leg room. So, hopefully we'll be ok. Life must go on!! Can't stay home forever!:)
 
Keeping you and your knee in my thoughts. I hope that things go well for you on the work, HR, reasonable accommodations, etc. fronts. Ice, rest, ice, rest, and don't over do it, OK?
 
I now I push it too much but I don't think you can hurt that knee. The muscles, tendons,nerves may hurt but the knee is solid. The conference will be challenging but I think you can do this and so can your knee! Just my two cents but you know me I am a no pain no gain kinda lady. Take pain meds as needed and rest, ice when you can. And have fun :yahoo:
 
Quick update. Hair done. Nails done (bright purple!). Journey easy. Sat on back seat and elevated and iced. At hotel. Unpacked. Got walk in shower so easy to manage. Going to conf centre now for quick look see. Less than 5 min walk from hotel. Then back to ice, elevate, shower and dinner (lovely vegetarian restaurant) at 8.30. Have upped my pain meds to see me through!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom