Guest viewing is limited

PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

Yep, there's the six week whine, and all the weeks from there until we're all back to doing normal things! Guess because we're well in ourselves, we get frustrated that our knee(s) are stopping us from getting on with our lives.
 
PT says just a normal thing with these new knees, the swelling.... So you are ok. I just worried about blood clots but he says those are usually in the calf.
And my second knee would have to be pretty bad to do this again!
 
Thanks @tigwy11. I'm looking forward to seeing my OS tomorrow to talk about this and to get an idea of where I'm at.

Been walking around the house this morning getting showered and dressed and it would appear that the tight band under my knee is back. Pftt!!!! Another step backwards. But interesting as it has reappeared after two days of practically no walking. Coincidence?
 
So will l, it's been a bit of a roller coaster lately hasn't it.
 
Indeed....but no more so than many others. My first few weeks were very smooth, I was probably due this!!

Knee is moving well though, it is easy to swing it off and on the bed and sofa, easily bends when I'm sitting and I walked up about 8 stairs normally earlier. And I just managed to get down onto the floor and back up again! And laid on my stomach on the bed! And got in and out of the bath easily! All small wins.

So, things aren't all bad!!
 
That's how this recovery goes, sometimes you sail smoothly through this recovery (as l did with my left one) or you have a roller coaster of a recovery.

Glad your knee is moving well today, especially after the worry of yesterday. Have a great day. x
 
I also am interested in hearing what your OS says. But sounds like the knee is moving well. It seems the more I move the looser and less stiff I get also.
 
The knee is moving well. It's beginning to feel more like a normal knee and less like a lump of wood. I just need this sore/swollen/hot patch to go - that's the only thing that is really bothering me at the mo. Just looked down and I've crossed my ankles without thinking and it is perfectly comfortable!

I'm seeing the OS first thing tomorrow so I'll update when I get home.

Thanks for your support, be lost without you all :loveshwr:
 
Really glad to hear that. Look forward to your update tomorrow. My knee isn't as painful today so wondering if it was the bad weather coming in yesterday.
 
Good luck with the surgeon hope all is well know what you mean about being like a lump of wood mine feels like that most of the time keep smiling xxx
 
@Raffs - I have no idea how I got so behind on your thread!! Sorry you hit a patch of the blues and feeling a bit set back. Overall, you have been doing GREAT!! Hope your appointment with your OS goes well. Looking forward to hearing about it. Patience.. (how many times do we tell that to each other here in this forum??) Hugs!! :friends:
 
Just back from my 6 week check-up with the OS.

He's really pleased with my progress. Said I'm doing better than expected for just over 6 weeks out :happydance:

Spoke at length about the patch of swelling that is bothering me. It is not bursitis, just some swelling of the "fat patch" that is normal and will go. Said to take ibuprofen to help with the swelling and pain.

General swelling level is fine as is the warmth of my knee in places. Tightness and stiffness all normal. Tight bands - normal. And as you wise Bonesmarties have told me, due to internal scar tissue.

I have one area that I get stabbing pain in sometimes, this is an area where there is a lot of internal scar tissue so again - normal.

He said it was normal to feel the patella moving up and down on the implant and I will also sometimes feel it click as it moves.

My quad is very weak and apparently I'm using my IT band to move my leg around instead of fully engaging my quad. He said to tilt my foot slightly outwards when I move my leg on/off the bed etc as this will encourage the quad to do the work. I need to stretch out the IT band, do some clam shell exercises to work the glutes which will help the IT band. And, of course, need to start to strengthen the quad. He was quite firm about not overdoing the PT though.

I'm cleared to start working from home whenever I like. He suggested I buy an exercise bike as he thinks that will be very beneficial - we've already found one on Ebay that we're going to collect tomorrow. I can start swimming but no breast stroke leg kick! Ok to take a 4 hour flight to Cyprus for a vacation in October. Woo hoo!

We briefly looked at the x-rays taken the day after surgery. My bionic knee looks great! He said he still hopes this PKR will last me 10 years or so as the rest of the knee is fine. He said the PF joint was bone on bone so definitely needed to be done. Left knee not as bad at the moment but will need doing at some point. Oh joy.

I see him again in 6 weeks.

Stopped off on the way home for a lovely bacon sandwich and coffee for breakfast. Walked from the car into the venue, waited in line for our food, ate and walked back to the car - no crutch!!! Was laughing about something silly when we got back to the car and don't remember getting in - I just did it without thinking about it - yay!

I am a very happy Bonesmartie today! Thanks again to you wonderful people for your friendship and support so far.

:wowspring::dancy:
 
@Raffs What a great update, so happy for you. See, we told you that you had nothing to worry about. You deserved that bacon sarnie. Great news too about you being ahead of the game, no wonder your OS was pleased. And able to go on holiday too, you must be over the moon. You are an inspiration lady. xx
 
Oh, you sound great! Using your IT band instead of your quad? That makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing the turn-out-your-foot trick. That is going to help me a lot. I have not managed getting in the car without thinking about it, but I can look like I'm not thinking about it, if I think about it. Glad all the worrisome swelling and aches are normal healing. Have a great weekend!
 
@Raffs what a positive report!! Woohoo! It's something you needed to hear especially with your recent blues. What a great pick me up to know everything looks good and to have those moments when 'THE KNEE' is not number 1.
 
Super report! Everything is going well sounds like. Work on your quad! PT has worked on mine since the beginning and it is getting stronger as yours will too. Nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel is glowing brightly :snork:​
 
@Raffs - YEAH!!!!!:yay:

Just chiming in with everyone else on what a great status report!! You must be SO relieved and happy!! Wooooo Hooooo!!! All good information for those of us who are not quite as far along as you. So happy for you!!! :yes!:

You need to celebrate!! :cheers:
 
Thanks you, everyone. I'm off quite early tomorrow to collect the exercise bike I've bought from EBay and then going to my nephew's 4th birthday party so I'll probably catch up with you all when I get back from that. Might even go crazy and have a glass of fizz! Will be my first drink in 7 weeks! Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
 
Back
Top Bottom