PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

Not happy today. There's a patch underneath the numb area that has been constantly swollen since the surgery. It goes down overnight but comes back during the day. It is really bad today, very swollen, warm and sore and is affecting my walking. I'm guessing that it's been aggravated by the PT on Monday and the increased amount of sitting I've done over the past 2 days. Saying that, I iced and elevated pretty much from 4pm to 10pm yesterday! My knee is too sore to do anything other than a few heel slides and walking around the house. Another step backwards in this recovery journey....sigh.... I'm 6 weeks and 1 day out today, feels more like 2 weeks!! Seeing the OS on Saturday so I'll see what he thinks.

Although it was lovely to go out a couple of times this week, I think it definitely gives me a dose of the blues. It just seems to remind me how far I've still got to go, rather than how far I've come. Ending on a positive note, when I think back to a month ago I can see that I've made good progress!
 
oh man,hate when you take a step back but it seems that is part of this journey. I hope once you rest today, that knee will be better.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
That is not good know how you feel. Keep your chin up you are an inspiration to many of us here keep smiling xx
 
Thanks @tigwy11 and @Deeann, really appreciate your comments. Been resting all day apart from trips to the kitchen, bathroom etc and it's feeling ok. Strangely, it's bending really well and easily, just the swollen patch that's bugging me. Still, as many of my fellow Brits will appreciate, the Great British Bake Off is on tonight which always cheers me up! (Amateur baking contest on TV, hugely popular show and very entertaining).
 
@Raffs Where is your numbness located? Is it the outside of the knee? Always disappointing when you appear to take two steps forward but more steps back. You're still pretty early in your recovery so don't beat yourself up. Might also be the Physio exercises and the fact you've been doing a lot recently. Glad that you can see improvement though. Think we all think we can do things and then our knees tell us we can't. Keep you chin up.
GBBO cheers me up too, an evening of cooking on Wednesday, My Kitchen Rules and GBBO!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@CATSMUM yes, outside, in the usual place for numbness which I know is normal. It isn't totally numb anymore so perhaps that's why it's swelling - as it heals? Thanks for your wise words. Got 2 very quiet days ahead which should help. I have to keep trying to do things otherwise I'll never know my limits. Trouble is, my limits and knee limits are very different!!
 
It is, but it could also be the iliotibial band playing up, try massaging it, might help. I know exactly what you mean about limits! The outside of my knee isn't completely numb now either but l do get swelling with the itb band, Physio massaged it for me yesterday and it's much better today.
 
Well, let's see what today brings. The swollen patch was ok whilst I was icing and elevating yesterday but as soon as I moved around, even for 5-10 mins, it swelled again and by bedtime it was burning. I slept with it elevated and it feels ok now but I haven't got out of bed yet. I'm glad I'm seeing my OS for my 6 week check-up on Saturday as I'm worried and also frustrated that I've been set back a few days. :nah:
 
Sorry to hear that, might be due to overdoing things. You could tag Josephine or one of the advisors. Your OS will probably put your mind at rest for you. These things happen, sometimes for no apparent reason.
 
Good you have the doctor's appointment to ask questions. I'm betting it's another downward hill on this rollercoaster of a recovery!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
@CATSMUM I'm hoping that it is from overdoing things and not anything more serious. It has swollen up already and all I've done is shower, get dressed, made my breakfast and walked around the house picking up a few bits and pieces. It was not like this on Monday. I will have to spend most of today icing and elevating again. I'm beginning to regret having the surgery....... :sorry:
 
Oh @Raffs sending you a big hug. I'm with tigz and think it's just another blip in your recovery. It is very worrying for you though and l fully understand what you're feeling. Please don't regret having it done ever. What a pity you're not seeing your OS for a couple of days, could you speak to his secretary about your concerns?:console2:
 
@CATSMUM Thanks for the hug, I needed that!! I'm hoping it is a blip too. At the moment it is hard to imagine that it will ever feel normal or even near-normal again. Before the surgery it wasn't really hurting (playing mind games) so it's hard to see how this is better than I was before at the moment, even though the OS said the PF joint was very worn out. I'm ok waiting a couple of days, I've written a list of things I'm going to ask him. Will take a photo of my knee when I've finished icing it shortly. Apologies in advance for the horrid little hairs that I'm too scared to shave because they're close to the scar :snork:!!
 
It will feel normal again, you just have to be patient which, for people like you and l, isn't easy! Must admit that l sometimes wonder if it was worth having my knee done but I know that in the long run it is, just seems such a long recovery and l, personally, don't see much improvement, it's only when l see other people that l realise l am progressing.

Also sounds like you may have a little bit of the blues too. x
 
@CATSMUM Today I would settle for it feeling better than it did yesterday! I feel the same, can't really see much improvement. It scares me how little it takes to upset it. I do have the blues for sure. As previously, they will pass.....thank you for your messages.
 
Took a photo of both knees for comparison.

[Bonesmart.org] Raffs' Recovery Thread<'
 
Oh boy your right knee looks swollen :(. Sorry to see that. Yeah it's hard to remember what normal feels like, haven't been there for a while. When I was contemplating surgery I spoke to a physical therapy supervisor at work and she said partial TKRs are 'so easy' and if I had one I'd recover so much faster than from TKR which of course I was not a candidate for due to the extensive damage in my knee. From the stories I've read on this site this it sure doesn't sound that way at all!!! Here's hoping for a better day today and hopefully your OS can shed some light as to what's going on. Hang in there!!
 
MY PKR took just as long to recover from as my TKRs - and that seems to the experience of most on BoneSmart. Of course, there are some people who recover faster, just a there are from TKRs.

I'm convinced that the people who tell you recovery from a PKR is faster than recovery from a TKR have had neither operation.
 
Oh man, I wonder what is going on? I know that sometimes my right side of my new knew does hurt after overuse, but I never noticed swelling. Maybe it is just starting to heal? I have days where I also say, "why did I do this" so I totally understand where you are coming from! I see people who are getting their second one done after just getting the first one done and I think, no way! I hope your doctor has some answers. Maybe my PT might know, I will ask today.
 
Back
Top Bottom