PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

My knee looked like that at about the same time out as you are. Celle is correct, it takes as much time to recover from pkr as it does tkr. I know it's difficult, especially when you think something might not be right, but try and remain positive raffs. :console2:
 
@bdink21 thanks for taking the time to stop by from your hospital bed! Please don't be concerned by my moaning, I've had many more good days than bad days!

@Celle Yes!!! I'm also getting a little fed up of people who have had neither operation looking at me as if to say "why aren't you back to normal yet?" If you haven't had this surgery then please don't judge me!!

@tigwy11 I'm hoping that it is just a case of overdoing it this week. I know what you mean about "no way" for the second one done just yet. How long do you reckon it'll be before you need yours doing? Thanks re asking your PT, that's really kind of you.
 
You're absolutely right about being judged by those that haven't had this type of op. I have a friend whose partner had a hip replacement and he couldn't understand why l wasn't as mobile as him after a couple of months, in fact, even said l was 'swinging the lead'. They have no idea what we go through and the pain we deal with!
 
@CATSMUM Hahaha! I was posting on your thread whilst you were posting on mine! Chucking it down here now.... That is very reassuring to hear that your knee looked like mine does now, thank you. Thanks for your kind words, I am sure it is just reacting to a busy couple of days. Cannot believe that guy said that to you!! I hope you told him about himself!!!

I met a man yesterday who said his wife has had both a hip and a knee replaced and that the knee was much harder to recover from. He was very nice and said I'll get there soon enough.
 
@Raffs i thought that might have been the case, lol. Must be the rain we had earlier, it's dry at the moment thankfully.

He actually said it to some other friends of his when one of them, who knew what l was going through, told him that l was struggling! He phoned me up to tell me what he'd said as he thought that she'd tell me (she didn't). He thought that his unkind words and thoughtlessness might end our friendship, he's been trying to make up for saying these things for the past 2 years!

Think it's fairly well known that recovery from a knee replacement, partial or total, is a lot longer and harder than a hip replacement.
 
@CATSMUM well, I hoped you've milked it these past 2 years and got plenty of apologies (and gifts!) out of him!!!

My father-in-law had a hip replacement a few years ago and sailed through it even though he's not in great shape at all and has a number of other medical problems .
 
Must admit, it's now beginning to wear a little thin as he keeps bringing it up, just wish he'd now let it go and just give me the respect and thought that anyone having or has had a knee replacement deserves.

His partner recovered from his replacement quickly, as did my cousin, but the op is vastly different as is the recovery.
 
@Raffs I think that the swelling you are worried about might be one of the bursae of the knee, which fills up with fluid from time to time. There is one located near the top of your fibula (the smaller of the two bones in your lower leg). It's not one of the major knee bursae, which are discussed/illustrated in this article from the library:
Baker's cysts and other knee bursae

I had some pain and swelling in that site, too. It did go eventually, but that is where I still feel a bit of pain if I overdo things.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle thanks very much, I did think that it might be that yesterday when I was doing some ill advised Googling!! I will make sure to mention this to my OS on Saturday. Can it be aspirated? Or will it just improve of its own accord?
 
The NHS website prescribes rest, elevation, anti-inflammatories and ice for that problem. Aspiration is mentioned if the swelling is severe.
 
@Raffs I got odd swellings from time to time but they went away. At one point I thought my knee was fine and all the swelling had gone but when I look at it now I realise it was actually much more swollen than I appreciated at the time. You are not quite 2 months out from surgery yet so still early days and believe me 4 months out is so different and when you get to 8 months you will feel so much better but it does take time to heal
 
Can it be aspirated? Or will it just improve of its own accord?
Generally, I think it's better not to have it aspirated because, apart from the risk of possibly introducing infection, it will just fill up again. I think of it as just part of the internal swelling of the knee that is visible externally.
 
Why aspirate when the swelling is a normal part of the healing process and it will just come back anyway this early in the game? That doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks very much, everyone. It helps to know that it might be this and that it isn't particularly serious. I feel perfectly well in myself so I don't think it can be septic bursitis which would, of course, be more serious.
 
I'm convinced that the people who tell you recovery from a PKR is faster than recovery from a TKR have had neither operation.

I have to totally agree with this, so true. And kinda sad too coming from a PT supervisor.
 
@bdink21 I've yet to meet a PT person who has any kind of knee surgery and yet quite a few of them seem to think they know what we're feeling and going through.........!
 
Been reading a few threads today - seems like there is a minor phenomenon known as the "6 Week Whine" where folks are feeling fed up, frustrated, impatient etc at the 6 week mark. Sounds very familiar to me this week....Anybody else experienced this?
 
Somewhere between four and twelve weeks is where we tend to find ourselves at the Wailing Wall. I don't think I was whining to my doctor at my six week followup, but he told me then I would feel 100% better at the 12 week followup, and he was right. I didn't feel bad at six weeks, but I did feel remarkably better at 12. And, as I said earlier this week, at 16 weeks, I feel near normal. So hang in there all you "Six Week Whiners." It gets better.
 
Back
Top Bottom