PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

7 weeks woot woot! I bet you are ready to do some work from home. I am glad that all is well, except that patch. Hope it goes down. Mine is just still tight on the top and side of the knee. But no more on the bottom and right in front.
 
@tigwy11 I am kind of ready for work but kind of enjoying the downtime too! The patch is driving me nuts. It has taken over from the tight band as my nemesis!!
 
@KarriB The OS called it a fat patch. It is at the bottom of my knee to the right of the incision as I look down at my knee from above. I'd be bothered too but it sounds like you're dealing with it with great humour and grace.
 
Went out to a local restaurant with a friend for lunch. Took my collapsible cane in my bag but didn't use it! Even on "Horrid Hill" on the way home! Knee was sore by the time I got back but no more than if I'd used the cane. Guess I walked for about 20-30 mins in total. It helped that I wasn't alone, not sure how I'd feel on my own. But this was a good win as that hill is not nice.
 
Way to tackle that hill :wowspring:. We all have a nemesis! Mine is still the side and top tightness.
 
Not much I can do about it. The dr thinks if they take it out it will just come back. Last summer I considered nit wearing shorts because of it and my scar, then our temps hit the 90s and I caved.
 
Sounds like you conquered your hill well, albeit that your knee complained after. How's things today?
 
Things are a bit bleurgh today.

Knee feels really tight. I went out for a walk earlier and I was really annoyed to find that the tight band under my knee has returned. I was walking without a cane so perhaps I was nervous and holding myself stiffly or something and this caused it to tighten up. It wasn't there the whole time. I am hoping that it vanishes again soon.

The swelling is the same in the usual patch but no worse but it is bad enough to restrict my walking. The ibuprofen does help to ease the soreness.

It doesn't feel like much has changed over this past week or so? Have other people felt this at around week 6/7 or so? That recovery has kind of stalled?

I know my OS gave me a glowing report on Saturday but doubts are beginning to creep in again :chinstroke::sigh:

Oh no, I'm at the Wednesday Wailing Wall again! :censored::gaah:

As I've previously reported, I'm supposed to be starting to work from home for a few hours a day as from tomorrow but work are kind of messing me around (won't go into the boring details) which is a bit frustrating. I thought I was doing a good thing by offering to return at 7 weeks!! I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't bothered, it's not like I really want to return anyway!!!! :groan:

Sorry for moaning and sorry for listening. Hope you're all having a good day.
 
Oh raffs, sorry to hear that you're feeling sore today, more than likely to do with your outing yesterday. A cane does help to reduce the stress of walking, l fund that it's easier of l take my cane on longer outings. Recovery can be a a couple of steps forward and then one step back and you do feel as if you're progress has stalled, it hasn't and only when others see you after a time do you realise that it's only you that thinks it has.
As for work, if they can't/won't accommodate you then go back to your GP and get another fit note stating you're not fit to work. Don't be a matyr to yourself. PM me if you need a moan!
 
@CATSMUM thank you so much for the pep talk, just what I needed today. I probably am being stubborn re the cane.... You are quite right re progress, the friend I saw yesterday was full of praise for how far I'd come since she saw me at week 3. I know what the issue is re work - it's because I told them before surgery that I am unable to return to that building because of the lack of an elevator. They don't know what to do with me once I'm ready to return to an office in a few weeks. They're avoiding a tricky conversation. Watch this space... Thanks again.
 
@Raffs I will certainly watch this space. They need to make adjustments for you to enable to you to return to work - what do you do? I'm one of those number crunchers but am fortunate that I work in a building that has lifts!
 
@CATSMUM I'm a PA. I work for an organisation that is usually great on equalities issues. There is nothing that can be done to make that building more accessible. I'm hoping they say I can work from our other London office whilst they look into moving elsewhere. I've been doing some snooping today and there is a meeting tomorrow re the possible move, so that's a start. It's stress and worry that I don't need right now!
 
Then they must know that they must provide you with a way to continue working for them, if I remember correctly, the fit note states that you can return to work if reasonable adjustments can be made, well they need to look at seriously adhering to that mantra. I fully understand how stressed and worried you must be. Let's hope that they are able to move you to your other site.
 
@Raffs I've been reading your thread for the past couple of days and wasn't sure how to respond other than to say Wow, you've got a lot on your plate. I'm lucky I don't have to worry about returning to work. After my setback a couple of weeks ago, I'm finally beginning to feel like I should have felt 2 weeks ago. I have the stiffness like you that is a pain. I swell that comes and goes. I have pain on the left side of the incision where I supposedly popped the stitch but that is getting better. I see the surgeon tomorrow. But I expect he'll say I'm doing great. Night's are the worse. The throbbing and the spasms keep me up or wake me. I do see improvements so I know I'm heading in the right direction and based on what I've seen from your thread, so are you. Keep the faith, my friend, you are doing great!:console2:
 
@momweb I've been keeping an eye on your thread too. Got visions of you and your doggie on the back seat of the car fighting over who gets the most space!! He says sounds lovely. Thanks for your kind words.
 
With my surgery on 6/24 (8 weeks today), I feel you all are in my range of recovery (though I know everyone is so different!). So I will share my progress and frustrations here. Yesterday at PT my ROM was 126/4 which was still frustrating for the extension. I feel I work at those exercises and make little progress. I have lots of aches in pains - mostly in the IT band but now also the opposite hip (??why - I have been so attentive to my gait and am walking really well if I must say so myself). Incision/scar area is very tender and still some lumpy stuff going on there. I have been feeling stalled lately, but then last night I actually was able to sleep for some amount of time on the operated side (which I have been desperate to do since I want to sleep alternating between sides throughout the night). Sleeping is still a big challenge but seems to be getting ever so slightly better. So that helps with the stalled feeling some. But I don't seem any less stiff or achy. I still take 2 mg dilaudid at bedtime even though I wonder if it helps at all, because I sleep so poorly and am afraid to do anything that makes that worse. I am also taking max tylenol throughout the day and the my PT yesterday seemed horrified by how much I am taking. But I feel it when it starts to wear off. Unlike you @momweb, I have no setbacks to attribute anything to. I am starting to reengage with work here and there but have started feeling apprehensive about a full time return at 12 weeks (which I never thought I would actually take). Anyway, just commiserating I guess. I think I feel pretty challenged by how to best balance normal activity with dedication to stretches/icing/exercises.
 
Woke up at about 1am with my knee hot, burning and sore especially the usual fat patch. It hasn't done that for weeks. Couldn't take any meds as it wasn't time so just iced and waited for it to stop. Managed to go back to sleep but tossed and turned all night. It was still sore, warm and swollen this morning which is unusual. I have no idea what's wrong with it. Could be objecting to the activity over the past couple of days - 2 x 5 mins on exercise bike, 20-30 min walk outside, PT exercises and general walking around the house doing bits and pieces. This is my daily routine, too much for 7 weeks?? I wish I knew what exactly was bothering it and then I would stop! The swollen patch is showing no signs of improvement and it's getting me down.

Spoke to my boss yesterday and have started working from home today. I'm doing 3.5 hours this week and next, then 5 hours, then 7 hours (my usual daily hours). I'm breaking the hours up so I've done an hour this morning, now having a break for an hour and so on. The longer term is very uncertain. It now looks like it might not be possible to move from the inaccessible office so some difficult times may be ahead.

I had the meltdown of all meltdowns last night. Combination of frustration re my knee and worry/stress re work. Poor hubby, of course, got the brunt of it. It's been a tough few months and everything just boiled over. Better out than in though, yes?
 
@Raffs just thought I'd check your page and you've answered my question already! The hours your working are roughly what I'll be doing in a few weeks. Doesn't sound as if your company are being particularly accommodating about trying to help you out. Hope it works out for you, but l can understand how frustrated you must be feeling and worried about your future.

You may have been doing too much which has angered your knee. It is probably too much at the moment for your knee, don't do any exercises for the next day or so and see what happens.

Try and keep positive, l know it's difficult but you've friends here who will support you in any way we can.
 
Back
Top Bottom