TKR Putting my best foot forward

That does sound like a great dr. visit. Interesting, that you were able to put 2 and 2 together uncovering the true culprit of your problems. You were kinder than I would have been, as I would have said something to the dr.

When I was in the hospital for my TKR infection there was PA who would visit me. It was taking a few days for the cultures to grow, so we were all waiting to see what type of infection I had. The PA (another beautiful young woman)would come in daily, inferring that my infection was MRSA. Well, just the inference upset me. I asked her to please not return until she had something concrete to discuss with me. The OT was in my room at the time and applauded after the PA left. I still use that Infectious Disease Group, but I've never seen that PA again. :whistle:
I did learn to take a page from my mother's book and become assertive when needed. Oh and I didn't have MRSA.
 
Oh yeah, of course! :rofsign:

Great update. So happy to hear that your doc visit went so well. About time you had some good news! And not long now until you can go home, that's got to feel good. Or has living in LA these past few weeks made you want to stay??
 
The community here has been amazing. I made a bunch of new friends. Even more so, being with my husband all this time has been invaluable. In the rat race we live in, with my husband hardly home, I usually battle my medical wars solo. Of course he supports me in any way he can, financially and otherwise. But I go to doctors alone, most ER visits.......
Having him here literally by my side was amazing and made all the difference in my recovery. He would never be able to stay home to help me if we would be in NY.
 
@KarriB, things were going so well with the dr, I was so so thankful for that. What would I ultimately gain by complaining. Wasn't worth taking a chance. I was glad I didn't have to see her pompous righteous devilish self again though......
 
@simryg
I'm so glad your doctor's visit went well. Good that your husband was able to come with you, and that you got all the information from your surgeon himself.
 
Glad to hear that your appointment went so well. You must be so happy that you can go home soon. :flwrysmile:
 
Please let us know how you are doing. I did the same thing. Chocolate for the nurses and also flowers. They loved it.
 
I am gearing up to go home. Trying to exercise as much as I can. On the same note I'm trying not to overdo it either. I am excited and apprehensive about going home. I can't wait to see and hug my five-year-old again. Of course I miss my two big ones equally. But to cuddle my baby......
Home spells A lot more responsibility without the benefit of having my husband around all the time or even most of the time. It's having the strength to entertain five-year-old. I have to set up home therapy due to the fact that I have so many stairs going up to my house. Some reason it's not easy to find therapist to come to the house besides getting it approved from insurance.
 
Aw, bet you cannot wait. Your kids must have really missed you.
 
I'll have been away close to 7 weeks, almost 50 days. That is loooong. I still can't believe my husband took off for that long. He didn't ask, he just notified his boss, which also happens to be his father, which by the way complicated things more rather than made it easier.....I'm talking abut father boss combo.
Can anyone suggest excercise to loosen the tightness you feel in leg, knee. After lying, sitting....when everything taut. Still don't have something that does the trick.
I tried shaving today, staying away from the scar. Was such a wierd experience. I didn't realize how numb my foot actually is. Even low down. The sensation was unlike anything I ever had. The results not too pretty either as quite patchy,lol. Didn't do great job at all. Hey, I tried.
 
I believe that tightness (mine felt like a rubber band was being pulled when I walked) is typical and might be your IT band. There's an article somewhere on it, but I think it just takes time, like everything else.
 
Haven't even thought about hair removal yet......! Still wearing TED stockings so I can't see my shins and calves! Knee has a few very attractive sprouty hairs on it.....nice. I get my legs waxed but that will have to wait a while yet - no way I can get onto the bench and get my leg into the correct position!!!!

My knee is stiff when I get up. Someone suggested placing your foot on the bottom stair and very gently bending the knee over the foot in a lunge motion - very gently!
 
After 8 weeks I still have a numb spot on the side of my knee. Hubby got me an electric razor and works great. It does feel strange on the numb spot but I needed it badly. I see my GP on 8/11 and explain to him Norco and Tramadol gives me migraines. Hopefully he can suggest something else
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My knee is stiff when I get up. Someone suggested placing your foot on the bottom stair and very gently bending the knee over the foot in a lunge motion - very gently!


@Raffs my dad did this stretch a few times a day and swears by it. He's had both knees done.
 
It's normal for your knee to feel stiff when you first get up. My TKRs are much older than yours, but I still experience the stiffness, although to a lesser degree.
Usually, walking a few steps improves it. Sometimes I bend and straighten the knees before I stand up and then I just stand still for a moment, making sure I have my balance sorted out.
 
@simryg - I'm glad you'll be heading home at last! :yes!::yay:
Best wishes for the journey and for settling in back at home.
 
On this roller coaster ride we are all on, I am trying to take the curves gracefully. I find that when you are at the crossroads, feeling better but just not there yet, is one of the hardest points to be at. In the beginning when the pain is all consuming, you give yourself the leeway to medicate, sleep it off, anything and everything you need or want. Now, nearing 5 weeks, I have expectations already..... And I am trying to deal with the pain with minimal amount of meds.
I have to constantly remind myself to take it slowly. This time around ,my husband, being that he was so actively involved in every step, is cautious that I don't overdo things. Another bonus of doing surgery here, having him on my side in every way....
I will try to increase my walking this week. I also have to climb more stairs. Last week I did 15 up n down but have more than double that to get to my apartment.
How long do most people stay with walker, cane etc?
 
Stay with the walker or cane until you feel confident without them. When you're ready to give them up, you'll find you keep forgetting them and leave them in one room or another as you move around the house.
It's a good idea to keep using the walking aids until your gait is normal again.

Even when I didn't technically need the cane, I would use it outside. It helped to prevent falls on uneven or slippery surfaces and it was very good for warding off children and dogs. It was a visible sign to people that they needed to be a bit careful around me. I kept a folding cane in my car long after I didn't really need it.
 
I'm mainly off the crutch in the house but still use it outside and will probably do so for at least a couple more weeks. It's hilly and uneven where I live so I'm not confident yet without it. And I still have a bit of a limp.
 
Back
Top Bottom